Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creaky bike noise

• 13-04-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm cycling a Giant Defy 3 atm which is developing a noise I need to track down! Hopefully you can help!

The best I can describe the sound is it's like a low creak. My first impression was that it was coming from one of the wheel hubs. I reckon it's unrelated to the drivetrain as it happens when i'm freewheeling or pedalling. The noise sounds almost continuous when im on the bike but I can't replicate it by spinning the wheels when im off it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

check your spokes at the point in which they cross-over, add a bit of lube to them and see if that stops it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Cables tend to creak when your giving an effort. They rub against the frame/headtube when flexed. This can give that low creak sound!

But do check around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Have you changed anything recently?

Most times I get a noise it's down to something I've adjusted or changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

anoble66, tried your solution, no joy.

I recently cleaned the chain using degreaser and lubed it up again. I was careful to keep it away from the rear hub but maybe some stray degreaser got somewhere?

Also I took the brakes off to put a mudguard bracket on a couple of weeks ago, but the noise only started up since the weekend really.

If it helps, I went around the estate this evening trying to get the sound. The surface is perfectly laid asphalt and not a peep out of the bike. Out on the rougher road and it started again. Maybe it's vibration related? Something loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

hmm not sure, maybe someone else will have more ideas. You dont have a slack gear/brake cable knocking off the frame or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

I get a creak from the seatpost occasionally. If I stand up on the pedals it disappears, sit down again and it's back.

Re-adjusting the seatpost gets rid of it for a while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Take out the seatpost. If there's a sleeve/shim which it sits in between the seatpost an the seat tube, take it out. Grease the outside (i.e. The contact points between the sleeve and the seattube).

I know there is one my SCR and the creaking from it drove me bats for weeks. The Defy maybe not have this though.

Just took a look at my seatpost - no sleeve on my Ridley but any grease that may have been near the fastener seems to have dried up, so I'll try adding a little when I get home. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If seatpost or frame are carbon use carbon assembly compound, not grease. Carbon assembly compound is great for creaks, works well on alloy too BTW.

Only carbon on my bike is the pencil mark to show how high to set the seatpost. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Nah there's no carbon on the defy 3. The sleeve I'm referring to might not even be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kemase wrote: »
    Just took a look at my seatpost - no sleeve on my Ridley but any grease that may have been near the fastener seems to have dried up, so I'll try adding a little when I get home. Cheers.
    Have a look at the bolt or clamp on the seat tube. Take the bolt out completely and wipe it down and regrease it. If there's a removable clamp around the seat tube, take it off and completely wipe it down and wipe down the seat tube. WD40 is a good degreaser, just make sure you wipe it off too.
    Then grease the **** out of everything and reassemble it. Be careful not to overtighten it.

Alan, your creak suggests to me that it's the handlebars. Cranks tend to only creak under stress, and constant creaking on a bumpy road is exactly what you'll hear if your bars are creaking.

The easiest way to test this is to push down on the bars while holding the brakes, but not sitting on the bike.
    It can take a bit of effort though to apply the same force.

If you hear nothing, try rocking the bars forward and back while keeping the rest of the bike stationery. Put your hands on the hoods and use your wrists to rock the bars forward and back as if you were flying a plane. You should feel the bars flexing slightly in your hands, and if they creak, you've found the source.
    Don't be afraid to apply lots of force. Your wrists alone can't possibly apply the same amount of force that the bars routinely deal with while riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

seamus wrote: »
    Alan, your creak suggests to me that it's the handlebars. Cranks tend to only creak under stress, and constant creaking on a bumpy road is exactly what you'll hear if your bars are creaking.
    I thought this (I have had creaky bars on a few bikes myself) but you should notice more creaking if out of the saddle yanking on them in that case while he seems to describe it as very constant. If you get more creaking climbing a hill standing while yanking on the bars that probably is it though.

seamus wrote: »

I think you're in the right area. I'm 99% certain it's the front wheel/fork/handlebars now.

I did the tests on the handle bars as you described and was able to get a creak. Oddly though, I can only get the creak to occur when the wheel is turned. Could it be the tire bead rubbing off the rim :confused: Its at 80-100psi atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Had my seatpost creaking for the last few weeks....convinced myself it was drivetrain related as the sound seemed related to the pedalling motion. Was driving me absolutely nuts with the noise. However I greased the seatpost last night and not a sound out of the bike today....ahhhhh the silence! :)

Got it, the headset was too tight. Seems so obvious now, the steering was really stiff too :D Thanks for the help everyone! Ah, silence!

Advertisement