Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat battery in Ride on lawnmower

• 13-04-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Please don't laugh:o. I have a Castle garden twin cut 16/102 lawnmower ( Secondhand) The battery is flat it is 12v 18 ah battery can I jump start it of a diesel car ?????? 1.9 seat Toledo:confused:

??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

yes, you can jump start lawnmower of a diesel car, you dont need to start car engine before you start lawnmower, because your car battery is strong enough for lawnmower

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Yes, jump it, they're both 12 volts.
    If the battery is knackered in the mower, you'll need a new gel battery, cost €50 to €60.
    The gel batterys in them only take a trickle charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

If its a gel battery you cannot jump start it, particularly from a diesel car. You also should use a trickle charger and not a standard charger on it. The liklihood is the battery is banjaxed. Stick a new one in it for peace of mind. Its a good idea to keep your battery on a trickle charge during the off season.

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    If its a gel battery you cannot jump start it, particularly from a diesel car. You also should use a trickle charger and not a standard charger on it. The liklihood is the battery is banjaxed. Stick a new one in it for peace of mind. Its a good idea to keep your battery on a trickle charge during the off season.

WRONG!:rolleyes: You can.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

MidlandsM wrote: »
    WRONG!:rolleyes: You can.

Roll your eyes all you want. I sell lawnmower batteries so you keep givin this advice and itll keep me in a job.

• Advertisement

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Roll your eyes all you want. I sell lawnmower batteries so you keep givin this advice and itll keep me in a job.

Please by all means, keep selling them. A mans got to eat and all that!

But keep your erronious advice to yourself, as you are wrong.
    It's like the advice you gave on this post that you can use 10w30 car oil in a lawnmower engine.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65389820&postcount=259

FFS, ANYONE who knows anything about small engines and lawnmowers will know its SAE 30 for small aircooled engines.:P 10W30 or anything of that nature will FECK up a small aircooled engine over time.
    I look forward to your next post to try and recover your damaged and shreaded small engine and lawnmower knowledge and credibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Please by all means, keep selling them. A mans got to eat and all that!

But keep your erronious advice to yourself, as you are wrong.
    It's like the advice you gave on this post that you can use 10w30 car oil in a lawnmower engine.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65389820&postcount=259

FFS, ANYONE who knows anything about small engines and lawnmowers will know its SAE 30 for small aircooled engines.:P 10W30 or anything of that nature will FECK up a small aircooled engine over time.
    I look forward to your next post to try and recover your damaged and shreaded small engine and lawnmower knowledge and credibility!

:D Its like the school playground
    FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT :rolleyes:
    I had the same problem, a 24 hr trickle charge sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

before the fistycuffs start (where is it going to be held by the way)

I had trouble starting my ride on last summer, i jump started via the car and it started instantly but it would not start the following day.

The only way the battery would maintain its charge it seemed was through a trickle charge.

I don't know which one of you is right, but thats just my twopence worth

now......FIGHT!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ride on lawnmower battery is usally 12v and ~18ah a diesel car battery is around 60-80 ah thats a lot more current flowing through wiring that is not designed to take high current.
    Same goes with jumping motorcycles off cars, the extra current can really feck things up.
    You might be lucky or you might let the magic smoke out of the little coloured pipes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Sorry for dragging up an old tread. I am look to get a trickle charger for my ride-on mower and was wondering what type to get. Looked up ebay and they range in price from E5 to E150. Can any one point me in the direction of a good one. Doesn't have to be on line. I'm in Galway if anyone knows somewhere close that has good ones.
    Also if one can be got that trickle charges aswell as being a portable jump starter (booster) that would be handy.

• Advertisement

any local motorfactors will sell you a trickle charge....just tell them what you want it for.

or pm Geezer1000, he's an expert......! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Lidl and Aldi carry them fairly regularly. I have two for a good few years on both mower and a classic. No complaints and cheap as chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭secman

On the subject of a trickle charger, how long can you leave it hooked up to the charger ? Is it possible to hook it up on a Sunday evening and leave it till friday evening ?

Thanks

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

You can leave it connected, it only charges when the voltage drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

You can leave it connected all the time, (or when parked) it will only charge when the voltage drops in the battery.

Advertisement