Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood machine training

Options
  • 13-04-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know if there any courses where you can learn to operate spindle mounders, 4 head cutters, 6 head cutters and CNC etc. here in Ireland or Northern Ireland and get certified at the end of it?

Apart for the obvious FAS apprenticeship here in Ireland.

I can use a spindle moulder and a four head cutter to a certain degree but would really like to get my skills a lot better in using this type of machinery.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

I did my wood machinist app with fas but apart from that i cant think of any other courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

dunno about any courses being available but if you were out of work or had some free time possibly you could get a joinery to take u in on a sort of private apprenticeship to be shown by one of there machinists how to use the machinery etc. may possibly be unpaid tho. i do know that generally training is provided by manufacturers of the machinery when it is installed in a joinery so possibly could contact them and maybe attend a in house training course they do. maginn machinery in dublin supply a lot of woodwork machinery in ireland might be able to help you also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Athlone M what was involved in the course?

Mazthespak that is a good idea. I will give them a shout and see what they say.

I contacted maginn machinery on their website to see do they do training. Hopfully they will be back to me within the next few days. I will update when I hear anything off them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,d be extremely surprised if Mcginn's offered an extensive training course in woodmachining. They would normally commission a new machine at your place of work, and instruct a fully qualified person in the machine operation techniques.As you probably know, woodmachining is a long term learning process, a 5 year apprenticeship is the best option.

Another thing to give high regard to, is the type of training that you could receive from a manufacturing joinery, that would be more interested in output from you, rather than imparting proper techniques in the processes involved. I have spent over 30 years in the field , as you know;), and I have never yet worked in a joinery that imparted proper tuition to wood machinist apprentices , as a matter of course. They prefer to leave that to the block releases at the nearest college.

If you were in a position to invest the time for a comprehensive college based training, that would be your best option. Have you considered Letterack maybe.

kadman

• Advertisement

Oh I know all too well about getting proper training in a joinery! Doesn't happen.. All they are interested in is output from you as you said.

Ya I used to think about going to letterfrack but at the moment because I am busy fitting shops so it's not an option for me at the moment.

I doubt myself that McGinns do that kind of training myself but I just thought I would give them a shout. There is a joiney litterly less than five minutes away from me with all that machinery but ya man who ows it is a complete dick and I would be almost sure if I approached him he would tell me where to run even though he has fcuk all work on.

Unfortunately you are not going to get the type of training you want, from a joinery, whether they are at full capacity or not. Its not what they do. In the good old days, one apprentice was assigned to one qualified machinist, and served his entire apprenticeship with that one individual. You wont beat that level of training, even in a college.

The current system allows a government training body to give the apprentice a basic introduction to the necessary skills to allow him to perform for his company, after his block release. Thats it, nothing else. I was involved in apprentice training for many years, and I was always of the opinion that the basic level set by FAS was too low. If any of the modules gained a 4 out of 10 pass level, that was regarded as sufficient.

I,d look for an intensive , college based option. I know that they are available in Dublin, as I was asked a few years ago by the company that supplied all the machinery for the training center, if i would be interested in applying for an instructors position there. Other commitments prevented me from doing so, work contracts ect. So keep looking. If I can pin it down for you, I,ll post it.

kadman

Thats the thing! Fas is a complete joke. the amount of qualified carpenters, joiners, cabinet makers that come from it that a qualified but just make the grade is quiet sickening to be honest.

I didn't know any intensive college courses existed for this kind of thing. Would they be evening courses of full time day courses? I would be greatful if you could post it up if you come across it.

Sure look at the lads we used to work with who were qualified and were operating machinery! Scary stuff would be seen. It's not that I have a need to use any of at the moment but would be nice to be able to use it and would be nice to have on my cv when applying for jobs in the future.

I remember only too well.............the lads we worked with:eek: Personally I wouldn't let either of the so called professionals there , within 50 feet of a decent fourcutter or spindle.............only to blow it down at quitting time.

One of their party pieces, in a previous job, was to take all of the feed wheels, and top and side pressures off a six cutter, and push an oversize piece of a timber beam through it with a single prong of a forklift. I would have sacked both of them on the spot, if i was in charge.

Thats the type of lethal training I,m talking about available in the market place. I,ll make a few enquiries for you, and get back to you if I have any news.

keep the faith

kadman

• Advertisement

You wont get better than DIT Bolton Street, good find there g...dude. Get cracking:)

kadman

Oh I remember them boasting about doing that many times. They took all the safety sensors of the machine so it would operate without them. Scary scary stuff if you ask me.:eek: Ya it's what I thought alright. No proper training with guys like that aroud to supposdly train apprentices.:mad:

I'l ask about that coure in DIT Bolton Street. No doubt it will cost a few grand to sign up.:( I wont have that kind of fundage for a few years if thats the case! Better start saving the penny now.:D

I did my app in a small joinery(4 employees) that maufactured kitchen cabinet doors,the only had a basic set up spindle moulders, panel saw planer/thicknesser,cross cut etc. After my app i went on to work for a window company there i operated 2 cnc routers 1 for window frames the other for external front doors,this company went bust. I now work for a company that produce internal mouldings standard and bespoke, skirting,architrave,door frame,window board anything you can think of basically we can grind the cutters to suit it.Id never regret doing my app as ive had some good experiance but i agree with kadman some donkeys go through fas lads there to just have a good time and instructors passing them to make themselves look good.
    By the way this is my wifes username incase you notice any girly threads on the profile!!!!!!

athlone M wrote: »
    By the way this is my wifes username incase you notice any girly threads on the profile!!!!!!

We welcome all persuasions here................:D:D

I dont think the course would run to that sort of costs g..dude. If it does, you might be as well to hang on until you are forced on the dole, if that happens. At least the sw department would pick up the tab then. Maybe the company you work for now, would give you the time off for it, if work is slack for them.Your company would qualify for grant aid for retraining you.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

kadman wrote: »
    We welcome all persuasions here................:D:D
    kadman

:D:D:rolleyes::pac::D

Il ask the lad I do work for and see what he says? He might not qualify for grand aid as I am registered as self employed as a sub contractor to do his work.

I hope it would cost that much.

Well I just emailed DIT admin office to see how much the course is and when it starts.

Well here is the link the admin office emailed me back http://www.dit.ie/study/parttime/programmes/dt146woodcuttingmachining/

2460 euro to do the course! :eek:

I wont be doing it this year anyhow with that price!:mad:

I would love to do the course though. I better start saving the pennys now :p

Jaysus...........I thought there was a recession on. If you are self employed, that cost would be tax deductable surely. Check it out. You might qualify for a grant if you are self employed too, so check that out. At them prices, I might look at offering them myself:D:D

kadman

Well if your offering I'l pay! Ya so much for a recession. No discounted prices for education during it! You would think they would reduce prices a lot during a recession for educational courses that will improve peoples skills.

Good man. I didn't realise I might qualify for grand aid as I am self employed and it could be tax deductable.

Would love to do the course though

• Advertisement

Well if your offering I'l pay! Ya so much for a recession. No discounted prices for education during it! You would think they would reduce prices a lot during a recession for educational courses that will improve peoples skills.

Good man. I didn't realise I might qualify for grand aid as I am self employed and it could be tax deductable.

Would love to do the course though.

Kadman, does John Nolan and Niall McEntyre still teach in bolton street do you no its 5 years since i did my last phase there.

Advertisement