Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance/accident question

• 13-04-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

A few weeks ago a car bumped into my car. The girl involved left the scene but with help from the Gardaí we tracked her down. The thing is that she tells me that she will give me her insurance details through the Gardaí (she left the scene before swapping details). Blame has 100% been given to the other driver and has been proven on CCTV.

She still has not presented her licence and insurance docs to the Gardaí which means that I am having to wait in order to give her details to my insurance company. Even though she is at fault I still need to give her details to my insurance.

It's coming up to 3 weeks this weekend. As there was just material damage and no personal injuries, it's more a civil matter. However, if she doesn't present her insurance docs it will become a matter for prosecution. Does anyone know how long one has to present their docs to the Gardaí? Is it 10 days? It's just that it's getting a little frustrating waiting on her to present. I've contacted her local station but she still hasn't presented.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

x

I got her reg - that's how she was tracked. All I know is what insurance company she is with but as I'm not the policy holder they cannot confirm anything. I have given these details to my insurance. Apparently they are trying to contact that company but it would be so nice to get it all sorted and fixed asap :) but the other driver is making it so difficult.

UPDATE:
    I've since contacted MIBI as my insurance company has found out that she is NOT with the insurance company she named. Chances are that suspicions are correct and that there is no insurance. It doesn't seen fair that the rest of us spend hundreds on insurance each year then people like this get off free. Although, if there is no insurance, will the MIBI contact the Gardaí ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you have her reg? Ring a few of the big insurance companys and see if she's insured with them. Also give the reg to your insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

report it to your own insurance company - and let them take care of it - or contact a solicitor with whatever details you have (including the gardai investigating it)

the solicitor will contact the gardai and attempt to track the person down ....worst case they might be able to contact the MIBI and get money through them ... ...warning this could take upwards of 12months before its sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Once you know the insurance company she is with, that is enough. Advise it to your own insurers and they will easily trace the exact policy number. All insurance companies have agreed procedures for the sharing of information such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Contact her insurance company with details of the crash, her reg number, that she left scene of accident etc. She is obliged to report it to her insurer also. Something doesn't sound right though. I wouldn't be surprised if her licence was out of date, endorsement, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

What might help, is telling the Guard investigating that you want to make a complaint of hit and run and make a statement of complaint, might speed things up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Motors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Avail of the MIBI procedure.

http://www.mibi.ie/

The MIBI should be notified straight away. The chances are that there is no insurance on that vehicle. The MIBI will either trace her insurer or deal with the claim if she has none. The Garda will deal with any criminal prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

A few weeks ago a car bumped into my car. The girl involved left the scene but with help from the Gardaí we tracked her down. The thing is that she tells me that she will give me her insurance details through the Gardaí (she left the scene before swapping details). Blame has 100% been given to the other driver and has been proven on CCTV.

She still has not presented her licence and insurance docs to the Gardaí which means that I am having to wait in order to give her details to my insurance company. Even though she is at fault I still need to give her details to my insurance.

Firstly you should get a quote for what the repairs will cost. I would give the quote to the Gardaí and wait for them to get the details of the other party. The lady is far more likely to admit that she was in the wrong when the Gardaí explain the situation to her. Once you have her details and a report from the Gardaí then you can make a claim on her policy. The only other option is to write a letter to her insurance company (you said that you know who her insurance company is) explaining that you wish to make a claim and include a copy of the quote for the repairs. They should in turn contact this lady and notify her that someone is attempting to make a claim on her policy. She can of course deny your claim and her insurer may take her side and not pay. In the long run it is best to let the Gardaí get the details for you as she is more likely to admit liability when presented with the facts by the Gardaí. There is no point in contacting your own insurance company as you are not making a claim on your own policy. Even though nobody was injured in the accident it can be considered to be a case of 'hit and run' by the Gardaí so she will more than likely co-operate and provide her details to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

1. Contact the Garda and make statement.
    2. contact your insurance company and give them all details of your accident.

wait for the issue either criminal or civil to come to fruitition. Make your insurance company woirk for you. The third party insurers have no protocol for dealing with you.

You are not at fault in THIS situation and you are making a third party claim on the other persons's insurance once you get the details of her insurance from the Gardaí. This person's insurance company will pay to have your car repaired and should provide you with a replacement car when repairs are being carried out.

In THIS situation you are not making a claim on your own insurance policy so why would you contact your own insurance company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Don't you lose your license now if you're found guilty of fleeing the scene of an accident?

I'll put a bit more an detailed reply in. She hit your car. She is at fault. You took her reg. Give it to your insurance company. Tell them she hit you and fled the scene. Explain you have cctv footage that she hit you etc etc and she is the one at fault. Contact whatever member of AGS is dealing with the case and tell them you still have not received details regarding her insurance. You'll just have to keep ringing and ringing 'til they physically visit her and get them for you or they call her and get them and give them to you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

emick wrote: »
    There is no point in contacting your own insurance company as you are not making a claim on your own policy.
    This is wrong advice.
    Regardless of liability, you should notify your insurance company in case it all turns sour and you require their help. You don't need to make a claim through them but as risk handlers for your driving they should be kept in the loop.

There have been several instances in the past of a driver responsible for an incident (fraudulently) claiming off innocent parties; and succeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

kbannon wrote: »
    This is wrong advice.
    Regardless of liability, you should notify your insurance company in case it all turns sour and you require their help. You don't need to make a claim through them but as risk handlers for your driving they should be kept in the loop.

There have been several instances in the past of a driver responsible for an incident (fraudulently) claiming off innocent parties; and succeeding.

+1

Always inform your own insurance company

If your car is involved in an accident and you do not provide your details to either the Gardaí (either at the scene or as soon as possible) or the owner of the car that you damaged then you are guilty of an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

If you are requested to produce your insurance details by the Gardaí then you must do so within 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PCPhoto wrote: »
    report it to your own insurance company - and let them take care of it

As PCphoto has said, just report the accident to your insurance company with her Reg No and let them do the rest. They will contact her insurance company who will contact her directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The OP has updated the original post.

It appears the TP is now NOT insured - so the only route for compensation is MIBI.

If the OP has Comp insurance on her own vehicle, she MUST claim through her own policy to have the vehicle repaired.

Her own insurer then seeks the compensation through the MIBI.

Its a PITA - but at least the vehicle will be repaired quickly (through one of your insurers garages hopefully) and you'll be back on the road. You should NOT lose your no claims bonus in this instance, as this is explicitly written in the MIBI agreement with all insurers.

Yes, its annoying that people like this can get away with it (though if found, will be prosecuted). But it would be a LOT worse if we had no MIBI and you had to lay out the cost yourself, or take the hit on your insurance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had a similar sitiation about 12 months ago on a classic car. Hit and run by an uninsured, unlicensed driver.

Luckily I got the reg. and a very helpful Garda called to her house later that night and she confessed her guilt.

I claimed on my comp. policy, and the car was fixed perfectly. The girl didn't come up with the readies, so the Garda pressed charges. She got a long ban quite recently.

Case is closed, although the MIBI have to reimburse my Insurer yet. My NCB will not be affected come renewal either.

Advertisement