Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No employment contract, 2 weeks suspension, semi state body

Options
  • 13-04-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

Here's the story,

My friend works part time (12 hours per week, 3 x 4 hours) in a semi state body for the last 5 years

2 months ago they got an new MD.

Anyway, she was called into a meeting today regarding cash bags and them not balancing. However, the person that use to do them was let go about 2 years ago and she was asked could she do it. She was never trained or instructed but had an idea.

Over the last 2 years the bags haven't being counted and last week they were. Now they are wrong, according to the new MD (not by much but still wrong)

Anyway the MD told her she was suspended for 2 weeks

She wouldn't be one for arguing and just said 'well will I just resign' as she felt she was being picked on over the last 2 months. There response was 'well, if your not up to the job'

She was given no empolyment rights at the start of her job and no literature at all.

Where does she stand, I know it's bad she resigned!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

She cannot just be suspended like that.

I presume she is suspended with pay pending an investigation?

Do not under ant circumstances resign her job. If her work has been up to scratch for 5 years, then it's up to her new boss to identify what she is not performing at and give her a chance to receive training and perform to their standard. If she cannot do this fair enough performance manage her out the door.

But there is a process for this which must be followed. If this is not the route this MD is taking, he/she will find themselves in the LRC before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This is bang out of order.

Doesn't sound like disciplinary procedures were followed at all and the rights that go along with those procedures.

While there's a discrepency, dishonesty has not been proven and defamation may have occurred. Accusations of stealing are very serious as it can be grounds for instant dismissal. Discrepencies require looking at procedures and the like only. Also tills and cash don't always balance anyway depending on certain factors.

'If you're not up to the job' implying so resign is not an acceptable response (no opportunity to make good has been made available).

She needs to get in touch with NERA and other bodies (links are in the sticky). The new MD is the one in trouble here for contructive or maybe even unfair dismissal, not your friend.

This is old style management at its very worst and should not be tolerated.

Advertisement