Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Information

Options
  • 13-04-2010 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I recently moved to greystones and was wondering about some things. Since I am unemployed I don't have too much money, but I am interested in keeping fit. Road jogging is not really an option for me as I have bad knees. I was wondering what gyms were in the area? I know jackie skelly's is close to me, but I have been warned and told to stay away, by some friends.

Any tennis club around that's not too expensive? I also seen some sailing boats close to the north side of the beach, is there a sailing club? I'm in my mid 20's and consider myself somewhat fit. Any nice cycles someone could suggest? I plan on cycling to bray at least once a week, to keep myself active.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Hi folks, I recently moved to greystones and was wondering about some things. Since I am unemployed I don't have too much money, but I am interested in keeping fit. Road jogging is not really an option for me as I have bad knees. I was wondering what gyms were in the area? I know jackie skelly's is close to me, but I have been warned and told to stay away, by some friends.

Any tennis club around that's not too expensive? I also seen some sailing boats close to the north side of the beach, is there a sailing club? I'm in my mid 20's and consider myself somewhat fit. Any nice cycles someone could suggest? I plan on cycling to bray at least once a week, to keep myself active.

Thanks.

Good luck the cycle up to Windgates mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

There's Shoreline, in the opposite direction of Jackie Skelly's. Their gym and pool are nice and not too expensive. Nice sauna and steam rooms too. It's part of the Charlesland rec park, the rest of it being in the same location as Jackie Skelly's incidently. The running track there is free for public use when it's not booked by a group. You might have a nice cycle going to Newcastle. There is a Greystones Tennis club, which has a website I think, and I remember seeing a piece on it in the Wicklow Times or something recently, and it was not expensive to join. Greystones guide might have something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rasmus wrote: »
    There's Shoreline, in the opposite direction of Jackie Skelly's. Their gym and pool are nice and not too expensive. Nice sauna and steam rooms too. It's part of the Charlesland rec park, the rest of it being in the same location as Jackie Skelly's incidently. The running track there is free for public use when it's not booked by a group. You might have a nice cycle going to Newcastle. There is a Greystones Tennis club, which has a website I think, and I remember seeing a piece on it in the Wicklow Times or something recently, and it was not expensive to join. Greystones guide might have something about it.
    Shoreline have specific hours to use the pool at half price or roughly 3 or 4 per hour - I'm not sure if they allow you use the gym pay per go

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

or you could swim in the sea, which is free.

Lots of nice cycling routes around north wicklow - the road via Kilcoole and Newcastle to Wicklow is a pleasant cycle and fairly flat - if you fancy a more strenuous route head towards Roundwood via Newtown or Kilpedder; buy a copy of the local OS map and go explore (ciaran67 - windgates is little more than a bump compared to some of the hills around)

there are pay-as-you-go tennis courts up by Jackie Skelly, also the local softballers are looking for players (see elsewhere on this forum).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    or you could swim in the sea, which is free.

Lots of nice cycling routes around north wicklow - the road via Kilcoole and Newcastle to Wicklow is a pleasant cycle and fairly flat - if you fancy a more strenuous route head towards Roundwood via Newtown or Kilpedder; buy a copy of the local OS map and go explore (ciaran67 - windgates is little more than a bump compared to some of the hills around)

there are pay-as-you-go tennis courts up by Jackie Skelly, also the local softballers are looking for players (see elsewhere on this forum).

Ooh mate I know, i was referring to his cycle to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks.

There is a sailing club on the North Beach which welcomes new members. If you look up our website www.greystonessc.com you will see that we offer training for adults. If you need to know anything else send me a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thanks all for the replies :)

I will check out both gyms and see what the story is. I'll also pop down to the sailing club one of the days and make more enquiries. Pay as you go tennis is perfect.

Would I be correct in saying that softball is similar to baseball? Never played it before but I would definately give that a shot.

I have contemplated the cycle to Bray. I am sure i'll be fine ciaran :P

Swimming in the sea = very cold and I don't enjoy it too much, sorry :( If we get good weather I do swim in the sea, but that is rare and far between.

Thanks again folks.

Im ready with oxygen mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Im ready with oxygen mate.

Lol, Cheers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement