Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Oil

• 13-04-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 1.4l ford focus. I know the best oil for that motor is 5w30, but I seen oil in Lidl which is very cheap. 5w40 10w40 and 15w40. I was thinking of going with the 5w40. The car has 130K miles on it and I won't be insuring it next year. Will this effect my car much? Is it important to get the proper oil?

I am tempted in getting this oil as I need oil at the moment and I cannot afford the 50 euro or there abouts I normally spend on some of the better oils.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

5w40 is fine for the motor. no problem at all. I would get at least semi synthetic. no need for fully synthetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Halfords have 5 litres of 5w30 for 25 quid
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_157622_langId_-1_categoryId_212419
    "Engineered to Ford specification WSS-M2C 913-B"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

BrianD3 wrote: »
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_157622_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

free screwdriver set as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they don't tend to ever have the screwdrivers in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

chris85 wrote: »
    5w40 is fine for the motor. no problem at all. I would get at least semi synthetic. no need for fully synthetic

Cheers ;)
    BrianD3 wrote: »

The oil in Lidl is only 15 quid for 5 litres. I was thinking of getting one litre for 5 euro, or 5 litres for 15 euro. I can't afford 25 euro at the moment and the car really needs oil.

One other thing, it's normal for a car to run out of oil before the next service, right? I get my car serviced on a regular basis, but I always find myself putting oil in the car every so often. 15K miles average a year, no visible leaks or any other problems with the engine. I was told today, but a car enthusiast that there could be something wrong if I have to change my oil... Looking for another opinion on that one, cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Cheers ;)

The oil in Lidl is only 15 quid for 5 litres. I was thinking of getting one litre for 5 euro, or 5 litres for 15 euro. I can't afford 25 euro at the moment and the car really needs oil.
    BrianD3's post I think is leaning towards the fact the oil is Ford approved.

In previous threads I have expressed doubt about the Lidl brands claims of manufactures recommendations. The Halfords brand, to me, is more likely to have the genuine recommendations. The properly correct oil should in theory be better for the car in the long run and save you real dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bbk wrote: »
    In previous threads I have expressed doubt about the Lidl brands claims of manufactures recommendations....
    Was that doubt not based on the forensic examination of a typo, though?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

esel wrote: »
    Was that doubt not based on the forensic examination of a typo, though?

That was one of the odd things I noticed but more substantially it gave the VW 505.01 standard on the bottle for a Part Synthetic oil. I assumed that part synth is semi synth.

VW was meant to have said that only fully synth oil can be used in their TDI's, especially the PD TDI which is what the 505.01 standard was developed for, at least in part. It doesnt make sense to me that VW would give the stamp to an oil that they said shouldnt be used in their engines.

Advertisement