Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrappage Scheme timelines

• 13-04-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I have a question about the scrappage scheme, see below the extract from Revenue.ie:
    Revenue.ie wrote:
    The car being scrapped:

must be registered in the State in the name of the registered owner of the new car for at least 18 months immediately prior to the date of scrappage;
    must be 10 years old or more from the date of first registration;
    must be scrapped on or after 10 December 2009 and before 1 January 2011
    must be scrapped within 60 days of the date of the new car being registered, or have been scrapped within 60 days immediately before the date of the new car being registered;
    must have a valid NCT test certificate, or one that has expired no more than 90 days immediately before the date of scrappage or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months;
    must have been insured for use on the road in the name of the registered owner or in the name of the spouse of the registered owner for at least 12 months in the 18 months immediately prior to the date of scrappage.

My car's NCT expires next week on the 25th. From reading the above I think I have 90 days from then to scrap the car, followed by a further 60 days to register the new one. I've been told in some places that the two times are concurrent, as in I'd only have 90 days from when the NCT expires to have the old one scrapped and the new one registered.

Does anyone know for sure which is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I'm sorry to bump this but does anyone know for sure which is correct? I hope to order the car this week but if there are delays in the delivery I could get charged an extra 3 grand for the car, or just have to forego my deposit. Please if anyone knows for sure, or even how I could find out I'd really appreciate it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would imagine that they are concurrent (the legislation itself may be more informative that that 'interpretation') but you still have six months to sit (and possibly fail) an NCT so if it came to it, book it in without doing any prep work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

The thing is though the engine blew out and it won't start so I'd have to tow it to the NCT centre, also I cancelled the insurance so I'm not sure if it's even allowed to do the NCT. I'm hoping to order the new car this week either way but I'm a bit worried I could lose the VRT rebate. I'm getting an Octavia which have a 10 week lead time, not gauranteed of course, so if it was late I could be screwed!

talk to the Skoda dealer - I'm sure that it will be fine.
    If they really want the sale then they will help get it to the nct!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

must have a valid NCT test certificate, or one that has expired no more than 90 days immediately before the date of scrappage or documentation to indicate that it has been presented for and failed an NCT roadworthiness test in the previous 6 months;

I am similar situation next month & I had previous believe I would have 90 days from when the NCT expired. Reading that again it is not very clear so maybe i have 6 months. On the other hand 6 months isn't much use if I need a car as IMO its too long to drive on expired NCT cert whereas should be able to get away with a couple of months limited usage...

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Sorry to hijack this thread but can the administrator of a deceased's estate scrap the deceased's car ? I'm talking wife of the deceased here.

Pique wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but can the administrator of a deceased's estate scrap the deceased's car ? I'm talking wife of the deceased here.
    It would depend on whether there is a will or not. You'd probably need to talk to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

When does the Scrappage deal finish? If it is the end of this year, what is the liklihood of it being extended into next year?

Dec 31 2010.
    No idea about next year - it will depend on the state of the economy then (and how well the SIMI lobbying goes during the year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

kbannon wrote: »
    It would depend on whether there is a will or not. You'd probably need to talk to a solicitor.
    There was a will. Everything left to the wife(who is also the executor/administrator).
    Car in question is a 96 Astra saloon worth a fortune :p
    Seriously though, it's in perfect nick but still only worth pittance. Would love to sell it to a kid who needs a perfectly reliable (yet boooooring) motor, but it ain't a CTR so not much hoe of them wanting it :)

Will have a word with the solistor. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement