Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One4all Charge

• 13-04-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

So, I decided to buy a €50 one4all voucher for somebody today. Picked it up in the local post office. I had to pay a €2 administration/commission charge on it. Just like the same rubbish with the mobile phone credit.

Needless to say, I won't be buying this voucher again until I get a €50 voucher for my €50 cash, not €52 cash.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

So dont buy it then or buy it elsewhere.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

And then they hit the place where you use them for 5% of the value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'd love to see the One4All vouchers abolished entirely, they're a pain in the hole for shops to deal with and the laziest gift imaginable. "Oh hey, I couldn't be arsed picking out a gift but I know about the social taboo in just giving money so here's something ALMOST the same as money but marginally less useful".

Agreed with the OP though, I'm amazed they're flogging them for more than face value, doesn't that negate the entire point of them? Just buy them elsewhere in future, if you must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fidge9 wrote: »
    Needless to say, I won't be buying this voucher again

AGAIN?!? so you actually did buy it today :confused: your phrase "had to pay" makes me think you did, but why did you? (if you did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

So, I decided to buy a €50 one4all voucher for somebody today. Picked it up in the local post office. I had to pay a €2 administration/commission charge on it. Just like the same rubbish with the mobile phone credit.

Needless to say, I won't be buying this voucher again until I get a €50 voucher for my €50 cash, not €52 cash.

So the post office who sell it to you, install the technology, have their staff available to answer your questions, should be paid nothing?

A €2 charge for the one for all service is exceptional value for money.

Dundrum s.c. has a charge for their gift card, as does Kildare Outlets as does Trafford centre in manchester and probably every other general use gift card in the world as the person issuing the card can't ask the retailer where it is spent for a commission.

Its a very small fee for a very convienent service - so good they have expended into the UK, France & USA and provide hundreds of jobs in Swords in their processing facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

The vouchers are owned by The Gift Voucher Shop , not An Post, theres a charge when you buy one in a post office because otherwise An Post would get nothing for being an agent. Its 2 euros for one voucher and if you get more vouchers they're 50c each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

They still take 5% off the shop and €2 off the customer. Quite a tidy profit for such intricid technology.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

91011 wrote: »
    So the post office who sell it to you, install the technology, have their staff available to answer your questions, should be paid nothing?

An Post employee's already get an hourly wage, do you think that they should also get 50c tip if you weight a parcel your sending?

Perhaps next time you go to Tesco and buy something you should tip the person at the till for scanning the item and providing a service

:rolleyes:

Foolish argument in fairness.
    I had to pay a €2 administration/commission charge on it.

You didn't have to pay it, you could have just not bought the voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the €2 is a tax on the lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Cabaal wrote: »
    An Post employee's already get an hourly wage, do you think that they should also get 50c tip if you weight a parcel your sending?

Perhaps next time you go to Tesco and buy something you should tip the person at the till for scanning the item and providing a service

:rolleyes:

Foolish argument in fairness.

Comparing tipping an employee for doing their job with paying a business for the service they provide is more of a foolish argument IMO.

If it's the case that An Post do not receive any rebate for selling these vouchers then they would have to charge for providing the service. 91011's point was that the postmaster / An Post is paying for the running costs of that premises, light heat and staff etc. Someone coming in to buy a gift voucher avails of the premises, takes up space in a queue, the time of the cashier etc and the postmaster recieves nothing for it.

I'd be of the opinion that they should refuse to sell them full stop rather than sell them with a processing charge but that's besides the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd be of the opinion that they should refuse to sell them full stop rather than sell them with a processing charge

+1

the post office should stick to their job, postage

all this stuff of paying bills (especially people paying paying a tenner off 5 different bills), mobile top ups, banking (let the banks do that), tv licence, passports, etc, is getting rediculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

+1

the post office should stick to their job, postage

all this stuff of paying bills (especially people paying paying a tenner off 5 different bills), mobile top ups, banking (let the banks do that), tv licence, passports, etc, is getting rediculous

Nice idea but they would not last long doing that. I sell stamps and do you have any idea what we get per stamp?

4%

So for every 55c stamp we get 2.2 cent - BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

You would need to sell some amount of stamps to pay your bills. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

One4All vouchers ... Just like cash, but not as useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    One4All vouchers ... Just like cash, but not as useful
    And more expensive. Getting vouchers from HMV etc with no cost is bad enough, forking over money to limit what you can do with it is crazy, when you fundamentally think about it you should be checking yourself into a psych ward!

Also the shop you buy from are losing out, and I like to give shops my business, and like to see them making maximum profits as they can then offer me lower prices in future. e.g. if buying online and a shop has paypal or credit card I will always opt for CC since I know the shop will make more profit from the exchange, and I despise paypal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

91011 wrote: »

Load of crap - 'exceptional value for money'? :rolleyes:

Dundrum s.c. has a charge for their gift card...

No they don't actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The name makes idiots think that ALL shops will take it. 'But it says one4ALL love!' 'You should have a sign saying you don't take them!' 'That's ridiculous, why won't you take them!' 'Well who does take them then!' People don't check the booklet, they simply hand it over without even asking if we take them! Annoying for shops who don't take them as well as those who do- I'm sure the abuse people get because there's no system for giving change back in One4all gift vouchers etc. so they have to give it back in a gift card for the shop is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Cabaal wrote: »

As previously stated An Post do not own the vouchers thay are acting as an agent, and as so are they not entitled to a commission. That €2.00 or 50c goes towards printer wear & tear and the ink used to print them and to make a profit as is everyone's aim.

With regards An Post employees getting an hourly salary. This is not true for most offices only those which are head offices, other offices are only paid for the work they do and this is not a substantial percentage,they need all the services they provide to try and make a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Wow, I never realised you're charged €2 per transaction even after the initial €2 fee. I was actually thinking of getting one as a birthday gift for my mum but not now. You could be at the loss of a fair amount of money if you pay €200 and don't do big purchases. 3v seems the better option if shopping online, no extra cost per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Wow, I never realised you're charged €2 per transaction even after the initial €2 fee. .

where on earth did you hear that?

whoever told that is talking sh1te.

There's the fee for purchasing the card and then it can be spent whatever way you like in a retailer that accepts the cards. There no change given though.

The retailers are charged up to 10% commission by gift voucher shop but not the person spending the card.

It is a cop out gift, but its far safer than gift vouchers for individual comapnies as you're dependent on 1. the recipient wanting to buy from them & 2. the company continuing trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gaela

try and spend your vouchers - 12 euro to post an item from co meath to co clare. hand -in the voucher for refund of cash - cost - 8 euro per voucher what a rip off. make use of virtual visa card - but you cant spend it in uk - though uk accepts visa card. they have the money - but i am finding it very difficult to use these vouchers - I'd be better off with 2 sheets of toilet paper!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Resurrecting a 2 year old thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement