Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 tonne boulder vs. Toyota Yaris

• 13-04-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭

2398861447-eight-tonne-boulder-falls-car.jpg?x=450&y=297&q=80&sig=Ir7.ur9an2z85LG54hbUsQ--

The owner of this Yaris had a lucky escape when a huge boulder landed on it, writing it off completely.

The rock, estimated at up to five-tonnes in weight, fell onto the parked Toyota from a transporter lorry as it drove past.

Thankfully the car's owner, Joan Hall, was on an errand when the incident occurred. It was on her return from the local Post Office in Hayfield, Derbyshire, that a neighbour broke the news to her.

Adam Chatterton, who took the picture, was near the scene when he said he “heard a massive bang.”

The boulder proved so heavy, in fact, that the crane trying to remove it dropped it back onto the car at the first attempt.

Speaking to the BBC, Mrs. Hall said: “I've had a lot of things happen in my life and this is actually a minor one. I'm going to write a book one of these days.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Where did the rock come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm confused, how does a 5 tonne boulder fall off the back of a lorry, its not like it can just bounce off when the lorry goes over a pothole. Would love to know how this happened.

Here is link to story which also shows the boulder being dropped on car again as its being lifted by crane. Makes one worry about safety standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How does a boulder like that just fall off a lorry? It would've had to fly off the thing to land where it did! Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kinda looks like she shouldn't have been parked there in the 1st place too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How does a boulder like that just fall off a lorry? It would've had to fly off the thing to land where it did! Madness.

You wouldn't believe the power of centrifugal forces, coupled with inertia.

Truck goes round bend rather quickly, boulder continues on straight ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

why is she parked like that anyway tho! She seems to be up off the road completly and then half on the grass and half on the path. Silly parking imo and god wanted her to know it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

peasant wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe the power of centrifugal forces, coupled with inertia.

Truck goes round bend rather quickly, boulder continues on straight ahead :D

would have been one ugly scene if there'd been someone walking along that path!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yawns wrote: »
    why is she parked like that anyway tho! She seems to be up off the road completly and then half on the grass and half on the path. Silly parking imo and god wanted her to know it :D

I doubt if she parked with the bumper against a tree, and one wheel on the footpath. Somehow, the boulder landing on it may have moved it. It's not really a common occurrence, so it's hard to know how the car would react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it looks like it just rolled off the back!!
    as peasant said the boulder went straight ahead:eek:

where was the truck heading with a 5 tonne boulder anyway:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe this guy was involved:

Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not one reply with "it'll buff out"?

For shame.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not one reply with "it'll buff out"?

For shame.:)

I don't think so - there's a nasty piece of damage just there over the rear wheel. You'd want some panel beater to get that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I suppose the insurance company will try and claim it was an act of God. The boulder just dropped from the sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe this guy was involved:

Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

not him!!!

<<<< hes after me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That won't buff out. Unfortunately a small amount of filler will be needed.

This is one incident where Toyota's new 'auto-accelerate' feature would've been very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I bet this is her ultimate driving song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The boulder looks like a lot more than 5 tonnes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

She should call her insurance company and tell them she has a nasty stone chip and needs her windscreen replaced.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    kinda looks like she shouldn't have been parked there in the 1st place too
    Only on boards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

2398861447-eight-tonne-boulder-falls-car.jpg?x=450&y=297&q=80&sig=Ir7.ur9an2z85LG54hbUsQ--

The owner of this Yaris had a lucky escape when a huge boulder landed on it, writing it off completely.

The rock, estimated at up to five-tonnes in weight, fell onto the parked Toyota from a transporter lorry as it drove past.

Thankfully the car's owner, Joan Hall, was on an errand when the incident occurred. It was on her return from the local Post Office in Hayfield, Derbyshire, that a neighbour broke the news to her.

Adam Chatterton, who took the picture, was near the scene when he said he “heard a massive bang.”

The boulder proved so heavy, in fact, that the crane trying to remove it dropped it back onto the car at the first attempt.

Speaking to the BBC, Mrs. Hall said: “I've had a lot of things happen in my life and this is actually a minor one. I'm going to write a book one of these days.”

You dont say....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota to suspend Yaris sales after failing boulder test....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Shane732 wrote: »
    I suppose the insurance company will try and claim it was an act of God. The boulder just dropped from the sky!

I'm an atheist, so would love to see them try that with me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I guess it's one way to stop a run away Toyota though, they should try it with all the prius' across the world! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Pity it wasn't a Micra, still next nearest thing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Shane732 wrote: »
    I suppose the insurance company will try and claim it was an act of God.

wow, so God sold the Harley, and bought a Scania..........? :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Toyota to suspend Yaris sales after failing boulder test....

The US are now testing the safety standards of Toyota cars by dropping Elks on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I guess they'll be thinking twice about parking there in future.

Tom I don't fancy parking there tonight, what if a 5 tonne boulder crushes the car?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dont Fancy Explaining that one to the Insurance :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement