Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a business....where to start?

Options
  • 13-04-2010 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

I would love to set up my own business, however I realise I don't know enough about setting up a business to set up a business!

Would love to just talk to someone who knows all about setting up and have a big chat, every time I try to go about getting info i find there is something else I haven't thought about, which doesn't deter me but obviously I then take that into consideration. I also don't want to go and jump the gun either with ideas I have but I don't really know where to start! I know alot of people would be like oh if you don't know, don't bother it won't happen but I want to learn and want to know these things and if everyone did that nobody would get anywhere. Ya have to start somewhere basically is what I am trying to say.

Is there anybody out there who wouldn't mind helping me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I think this is a very good thread. I am in a very similar frame of mind. I have had a lot of ideas but it just ain't going anywhere and I would like the OP welcome advise of how you do get started. I have started a really good job but would like to start my own business within next year or so. I suppose what I need is inspiration!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://www.fingalceb.ie/business-programmes/programmes-for-start~up-businesses/start-your-own-business

I'd highly recommend contacting ur local enterprise board... U can get loads of info off them, and the Business start up course is great. I'm doing it at the mo and it is the best money I've spent on my business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

Yeah i was looking at that before and went onto the website again tonight but the courses are 10 weeks long and have started since feb and they don't say when the next one is on! Do you think I could just call in with loads of questions or what way does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Yeah i was looking at that before and went onto the website again tonight but the courses are 10 weeks long and have started since feb and they don't say when the next one is on! Do you think I could just call in with loads of questions or what way does it work?

Thats what I did, well.. I emailed them... The courses fill up fairly fast. The should say when the next one is on, the fingal site does.. Best bet is to ring them n find out. They run loads of free seminars too, I went to one of them first and then signed up for the course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

You should ring them and see about making an appointment

• Advertisement

Mine is South Tipp and they don't say when the next one is on! I don't really want to go in there and get brushed off with oh just do our course. And Im fairly certain they said the last time do up a business plan first but shur I don't even know how to do one of those, where to find suppliers to get an idea of figures etc. I don't mind doing research but its something I know nothing about and I know that people who have been in my situation before or in similar industry know where to find the better and cheaper suppliers etc.

Oh ok so didn't know you could just make an appointment sounds like a better idea than just walking in off the street. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what i can arrange. Thanks for yer help!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

This IS a great thread. Im in a similar position to all here. Ive have rencently started operating a new business and it can be daunting at the start.

Start keeping a diary asap where you can jot down any ideas or questions. When you have your head around a few basics(eg: why does your business exist, what is different about it), go to your local enterprise board and book an appointment where you can talk to someone there. They are experts in the area so they are the people to turn to. I got a "start your own business" workbook from them which i have found very useful.

There is also a free online "start your own business" course that you can do with bank of ireland which i would recommend.

iamthe43 wrote: »
    This IS a great thread. Im in a similar position to all here. Ive have rencently started operating a new business and it can be daunting at the start.

Start keeping a diary asap where you can jot down any ideas or questions. When you have your head around a few basics(eg: why does your business exist, what is different about it), go to your local enterprise board and book an appointment where you can talk to someone there. They are experts in the area so they are the people to turn to. I got a "start your own business" workbook from them which i have found very useful.

There is also a free online "start your own business" course that you can do with bank of ireland which i would recommend.

Oh that start your own business online thingy sounds handy!

If i ever figure it out I think i will write a book about it someone really needs to make it more understandable and concise to a certain point to which people can pick up 1 book and say everything i need to know and do is in this and at what point. it is difficult to know what to do and when to do it, like i don't want to go and do something and find out ive forgotten about x y and z which im sure could easily be done. Or someone telling me you should have done a before b etc.

Going to make an appointment tomorrow and when i go i will just tell them my idea because there is no point in wasting my time if they turn around and say that will never work or that it is not a good idea. And out of everyone im sure they will be the ones that would know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Hi Aisling,

This might be worth a look. Bank of Ireland send you an email every week with information on different subjects about setting up your own business.

http://www.bankofirelandstartupcourse.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Maybe I can help. If you want to PM me your queries I'll try and answer them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

ive just finished the start your own business course with my local ceb and it was great!

although it could have been longer, 10 weeks just isnt enough when you take into account all the book-keeping and stuff. so im looking for a good basic book-keeping course now as well.

i love boards, its a really good place to ask all those questions that u think are kinda silly? and the ones you forgot to ask at the course!

my biggest problem now is money but im coming up with ideas now to get around it :D and keep my overheads lower!!

so hopefully will be starting up in may all going well!! im no expert but willing to give and take advice. as i said already i love boards! :D

oh and i did the boi course too its very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

Aisling I did read a book on it before but it may be a little out of date at this stage, It was written by a man called Brian O'Kane who used to also run courses on the same.

You can get free software to help you to create a business plan if you are setting up a business at http://www.sage.ie/shop/sage_for_free.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It looks to me like some of you guys need mentor type people. All the "start your own business courses" and "how to get your business up and running" courses aren't worth a shite to you in reality. Some solid advice or a just as valuable "I don't have a clue" from someone who's been there and done it is worth a hell of a lot more.

The best you should really hope for is advice you'll end up having to pay for, be it legal or financial. But, hey, there's no such thing as a free lunch ... unless you're in banking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I agree absolutely! I'd love to know how many, if any, CEB people have ever actually run a business. I've yet to come across one who has. They can spout all the theory from the books but have no practical...

Yeah the Enterprise board offers a mentorship programme but you already have to have a business set up before you get the mentor which seems kinda backwards. But I do agree it would be the best type of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Andy_Black

Advertisement