Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle lanes phoenix park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Well if it's in "Bicycle Quaterly" Who am I to argue???

For a tubular I would have always used 100psi as there is no danger of pinching but for a clincher I would go to between 110 - 120psi.

I rarely puncture, but when I do it's spectacular:eek::eek:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Velo Bro wrote: »
    For a tubular I would have always used 100psi as there is no danger of pinching but for a clincher I would go to between 110 - 120psi.

Same pressures front and rear? Because that doesn't make any sense. The front tyre has only 2/3 the static load of the rear.

And do you ride tubulars on cycle paths? All that glass!

I'm not really arguing, I'm just interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

iercepa wrote: »
    lycra can be a beautiful thing:)

I see what you mean:eek:

fat_cyclist.jpg

No argument here either.

Haven't ridden tubulars in a long, long time got fed up sewing the things closed after the repair. But I'm a bit manic about tyre pressure either on the bike or car (Don't really know why)

I agree that most of the time the weight is on the rear but when you climb or are out of the saddle or indeed hit one of those rare pot holes the pressure needs to be high enough in the front.

I must subscribe to "Bicycle Quaterly" though from their chart if I'm reading it correctly a 70KG rider with a 23mm tyre would be on a 170psi or so?? I'd like to see that go off:D

Velo Bro wrote: »
    I must subscribe to "Bicycle Quaterly" though from their chart if I'm reading it correctly a 70KG rider with a 23mm tyre would be on a 170psi or so?? I'd like to see that go off:D

No, it's individual wheel load.

jahvy8.jpg

(sorry for off-topicness)

• Advertisement

Thank God for that!!

As you can see from my picture above, getting that extra psi in could have killed me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

chakattack wrote: »
    On the + side, the talent in the park tonight was amazing. Some sort of running club training/fun run with lots of very cute fit girls in figure hugging attire :D

Made my training more enjoyable

The park is simply glorious for views of all types in this good weather, I use it a lot at this time of year.

Re. the cycle lanes, I've just come to expect runners, walkers and strollers to be in the cycle lane so don't get too bothered by it anymore, but you do get the odd tit that simple refused to yield to you no matter what. I've thought of just meeting them head on before but now I just get on with it and go around it and continue to enjoy myself. That applies to both peds and other cyclists.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    I never use the cycle lanes up the main road of the phoenix park. Its far too dangerous and if i was to go at a pace at which i could react to every dog/runner/rollerblader i might as well not be training.

Wouldn't agree with that at all, it's not one bit dangerous, all you need is a bit of anticipation whenever you come up to people who look like they may do something odd.

Slightly off topic, no one here is one of the two Swords club lads I saw stopping off in the Tea Rooms for cake on Sunday are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Out of interest has anyone received hassle from drivers for not using the cycle lanes in the phoenix park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nope, but I have had hassle from other drivers when driving my own car at the posted limit, morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

eightyfish wrote: »
    Out of interest has anyone received hassle from drivers for not using the cycle lanes in the phoenix park?

I have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes.

Strangely, I was on the small section of on-road cycle track at the time, just before it directs you on to the off-road section!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davidoc

I'm a bit surprised that people prefer the roads to the cycle paths in the Park. I find the roads badly maintained and very rough whenever I use them: e.g. when the entrance to the path is blocked by a car, or I can see hordes of pedestrians on them, ... or I'm driving a car. ;)

Admittedly, the junctions are a pain when on the cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I cycle through the park every day, and the only point where I don't use the cycle path is from the gate at Islandbridge to the first roundabout (cause crossing there is lethal and it's safer to stay on the road).
    Other than that, I think the surface on the cycle path is better than the roadway (which at the moment is in a shocking state).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes. Just ignore them or give them a friendly wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was in the park yesterday evening myself. I live relatively close so cycle laps often. I’ve noticed as the weather improves the cycle lanes down Chesterfield Avenue becomes more unbearable to use. It is simultaneously the best and worst aspect of the park. The most congested part is around the zoo, these people are the worst. I’ve found family groups just simply won’t move and force you to slow down and overtake using the grass. Some of the people you encounter... you’ve just got to wonder if their brain functions correctly. From people who stare at you and refuse to move out of the way to just plain ignorant joe soaps and then those who like to play chicken. I wonder do people realise they are on a cycle lane

I still prefer the cycle lane to using the road outside the zoo. I fear being doored more than I do crashing into someone in a damage limitation/self preservation kinda way. I mean being doored is going to destroy your front wheel at the least, ruin her door and potentially leave you in hospital with a serious injury or worse. Why should i suffer due to someone elses mistake? they should suffer it’s their mistake. Whereas if I run into someone on the cycle lane at least there would be some justice (I hope I never do, probably never will). The person lying on the group rolling in agony won’t be me. Well I’ve never run into a pedestrian before but i assume more damage would be done to them than me. Out of interest what’s the procedure if you knock down a pedestrian when you’re not at fault?

So what can be done? Some signs around the zoo area to warn people to keep off the cycle lanes. Encourage cyclists to do fly bys? Paint more cyclists images on the ground? Who do you even contact?

I may have to just stay away from chesterfield avenue altogether and just do laps but cycling the north road is a pain in the ass (sometimes literally). Those solar powered women are a danger to everyone around them too. I watched a guy oogle someone across the road as he slowly drifted onto the grass.

A Head ups - The spar 10km run is on in the park this Sunday from 13:00 so avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    No, it's individual wheel load.

jahvy8.jpg

(sorry for off-topicness)

Hmmm, I have maintained the same preasure as when I was 110kg... now I am 71kg I should probably look to change that.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have maintained the same preasure as when I was 110kg... now I am 71kg I should probably look to change that.

...and change your avatar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Dragging off topic a bit... but, anyone know the % weight distribution on a TT bike? I am guessing 50/50 or maybe a little more on the front wheel?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Dragging off topic a bit... but, anyone know the % weight distribution on a TT bike? I am guessing 50/50 or maybe a little more on the front wheel?
    I'd imagine most of it is still on the back. I've never felt I'm putting that much weight on the aero bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Park cycle track, full, I mean FULL of people walking, jogging, that crap power walking, roller blading, etc. coming home today. Its a joke. They all see the cycle symbol's on the ground and ignore them. No biggie I guess! I ignore loads of stuff everyday I don't want to have to deal with too!

What I ignore though doesn't hinder other people in a space for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BrianPatten

c0rk3r wrote: »
    I still prefer the cycle lane to using the road outside the zoo. I fear being doored more than I do crashing into someone in a damage limitation/self preservation kinda way. I mean being doored is going to destroy your front wheel at the least, ruin her door and potentially leave you in hospital with a serious injury or worse.

My gran failed her driving test in the park way back in the day, because she doored some poor soul on a bike, funny thing is that to this day she refuses to admit that it was her fault, in fact any accidents she has been involved in have not been her fault, even thoose trees she reversed into at 40kmph that were IN HER BACK GARDEN:D

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/DESKTO%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

c0rk3r wrote: »
    I still prefer the cycle lane to using the road outside the zoo. I fear being doored more than I do crashing into someone in a damage limitation/self preservation kinda way.
    That is why you always need to leave enough space for a door to open and not hit you.
    Whereas if I run into someone on the cycle lane at least there would be some justice (I hope I never do, probably never will). The person lying on the group rolling in agony won’t be me. Well I’ve never run into a pedestrian before but i assume more damage would be done to them than me. Out of interest what’s the procedure if you knock down a pedestrian when you’re not at fault?
    #1 - If you run into a pedestrian you are unlikely to come out of it well yourself. You will probably fall off the bike and injure yourself as well.

#2 - If you run into a pedestrian and it genuinely isn't your fault (e.g. the ped jumps out suddenly into your path) you should be fine. However the ped simply being in the cycle lane in no way absolves you of responsibility to not hit them... if you hit one the burden of proof would probably be on you that it was not your fault. If you could see them but passed them recklessly at speed anyway for example you would be at fault if you hit them... Potentially the ped could sue you for damages, which can be substantial (tens of thousands depending on injuries.) Not good, especially if like most cyclists you don't have insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can't got fast on the cycle lanes in the park when its busy. You just have to accept that. Go on the road, though the surface is terrible now.

You'd have go center lane to avoid being doored. And you'd have to do it the length of the parked cars which is a good distance.

Yes I argee.

So what it boils down to is that cyclists have to take up a central'ish road position because of the road condition and/or getting doored, because we can't use the designated cycle lane* because people are ignorant of the cycle track logos or just ignore them cyclists.

So a person wanting to go for a run/walk/jog obstructs the cycle lane effectively in good numbers and causes cyclists to obstruct motorists (on a significantly poorer surface).

Savage.

72hundred wrote: »
    So a person wanting to go for a run/walk/jog obstructs the cycle lane effectively in good numbers and causes cyclists to obstruct motorists (on a significantly poorer surface).
    Using a road safely does not equal "obstructing motorists."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A simple solution for all D15 ers who use the park to get home.
    1 avoid Chesterfield Ave due to busy cycle lanes and poor road surface.
    2 cycle to either Islandbridge or Chapelizod gates. Enter. Road surface to Chapo is good and road is wide and well light.
    3 Cycle up the small hill at the Chapo gate up toward the highest point in the park behind Mt Sackville.
    4 depending on where in D15 you live you can exit at Mt Sackville, Whites Gate, Castleknock Gate.

Advantages.
    Excellent road.
    No joggers/walkers/parked cars.
    You can go as fast as you like.
    A small bit longer with a bit of a rise in the road.
    A better workout.
    A nicer part of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't really find Chesterfield Ave that bad, that I'd avoid it. Then again I'm not going fast.

I understand the raw logic of some of the objections, but it just doesn't chime with my feelings on the matter.

The Park is a great amenity. I love cycling in it. It has straight bits, hilly bits, a bit of pave down the central reservation for that Roubaix effect. It has deer frolicking, women running, tigers and stuff in the zoo, farmers markets, multi-sport events, big monuments, tourists pottering around on their hired tandems, a nice playground, cafés with cake, big trees to sit under, horse racing facilities, bike polo opportunities, historic architecture, trails for cyclocross and light MTBing.

And all this 5 minutes from the centre of our capital.

What the feck is all the moaning about? No, it's not a velodrome. I'd like a velodrome in the Park too, but there's a turbo in my kitchen and a load of mountains just down the road.

blorg wrote: »
    Using a road safely does not equal "obstructing motorists."

Fine, but motorists aren't going to move as freely as if there was no cyclist on the road.... wait a minute, am I actually defending motorists.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If any body keeps finding large amounts of walkers on the cycle path complain to the OPW. That's apparently why Rangers were first told not to keep walkers off the cycle tracks.

From http://www.phoenixpark.ie/ ...
    Contact Details Superintendent's Office, The Whitefields, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8.
    Office hours are from 8.00 am -5.00 pm Monday to Friday.

Phone: +353 1 820 5800 / 820 3500 or 821 3021 Fax: +353 1 820 5584
    E-mail: superintendent.park@opw.ie

To contact staff out of office hours, the Park Rangers who patrol the park from 6.30 am – 11.30 pm, 7 days a week can be contacted on +353 87 228 9698 or + 353 87 228 9688.

A Park Ranger told me before that:
    • When the cycle lanes first went in they were told to ask pedestrians not to cycle on them
    • They did this
    • Some of the pedestrians they asked were not happy and complained
    • Rangers were told to leave pedestrians alone
    I asked the office for the park the following:
    Why do Park Rangers not ask pedestrians to leave the cycle track when they are walking along it? I have in the past been told by Park
    Rangers that they were instructed to not tell walkers to leave the
    cycle tracks, could you comment on this?
    Are there any plans to start enforcement again, or to modify the cycle
    tracks etc?

The response was:
    Our Park Superintendent Margaret Gormley had a look at your recent e mail. All our Park Rangers are instructed to advise cyclists to use the cycle lanes (Green Tarmac) provided for then at all times, and pedestrains to use footpaths and also to keep children under control when near cycle lanes.We have Park Rangers on foot patrol and on bicycles on cycle lanes around the Park.
    This is under review at all times.

Advertisement