Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So all three of the clubs relegated from Pro D2 have now been given a reprieve. Pending the next round of appeals.

An absolute farce once again.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Diego Dominguez apparently fired before he even began at Toulon.

Diego Dominguez apparently fired before he even began at Toulon.

Stuart lancaster linked to the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Does anyone have any idea when tickets normally go on sale for Top 14 games? I'll be in Bordeaux on the weekend of the first round of games and am hoping to go along to the Bordeaux v Racing game. I've contacted Bordeaux, Racing and LNR but haven't heard anything so far!

I don't know when they go on sale but Bordeaux have a big ground (34k) so you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I don't know when they go on sale but Bordeaux have a big ground (34k) so you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Anyone who watches Top 14 - was Digby Ioane a complete flop at Stade Français??

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Anyone who watches Top 14 - was Digby Ioane a complete flop at Stade Français??

I had completely forgotten he'd moved there, such was his impact. Think he was injured for a good while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So all three of the clubs relegated from Pro D2 have now been given a reprieve. Pending the next round of appeals.

An absolute farce once again.

I don't agree. The system is actually pretty sane in theory. If the DNACG finds out there are some financial irregularities, they make a statement and the clubs can appeal or not (depending whether they think they can get back to balance or not).The problem is, in the past, some clubs were not given the same freedom (Montauban & Bayonne for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Read what Gavin Mortimer says about the DNACG, he's got a lot of time for them and they do a lot of good for French rugby. Very easy to knock them.

I don't see what good they did for anyone here (not bitter, honest!). Why do they have to drag these things out for moths every year, flip-flopping on their decisions only to let all the clubs away scot free and wreck the preparations and contract negotiations of half the division. If they know there's messing about with the accounts at least start the investigations in January and have it done and dusted before the season ends.

The de facto Pro D3 for next year seems like a very sensible idea, at least.

http://www.the42.ie/toulon-salary-cap-top-14-fine-boudjellal-2922250-Aug2016/

Toulon fined for breaching salary cap, Mourad claims its a Clermont conspiracy and says he cant see how Toulon can start the new season. Money has ruined rugby

Fined money for spending too much money.
    Like clamping someone for obstructive parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Toulon fined for breaching salary cap

"fined €100,000 for exceeding the €10 million salary cap".

I'm sure that Boudjellal is just worried sick at the prospect of a
    €100,000 fine. It'll really hurt the aul wallet.

Big news coming out of France. The LNR are going to do the following in the next few years:

1) launch a pro 7s circuit involving all T14 clubs (it will be modelled on World Rugby Series with 7 cities/towns hosting weekend tournaments in a season
    2) All T14 clubs to have a women's XV in FFR women's league
    3) 3rd professional league (which we know about). This division will comprise the best clubs in Fed1 & the LNR will invest 28 million into the project - 4 million in each of the next 7 seasons

Think with the rugby market already existing in France, when these leagues are developed there will be even more tv rights money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I love the idea of a parallel 7s tour. Wouldn't say no to a celtic 7s, even if it was just four rounds, one in each country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sky are showing Bordeaux v Racing tomorrow evening - Ian Madigan at 10 for Bordeaux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Watching the Bordeaux-Racing game. Terrible, terrible game. Red for Bordeaux was technically correct but very harsh. Bordeaux win 4 penalties to 2. Total borefest.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Watching the Bordeaux-Racing game. Terrible, terrible game. Red for Bordeaux was technically correct but very harsh. Bordeaux win 4 penalties to 2. Total borefest.

I didn't think it was that terrible - scrappy and full of errors, but quite entertaining.....but then I'm a Bordeaux fan. Completely agree with you about the red card. Final score was 15-9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bordeaux win 15-9. Madigan on the mark with all 5 penalties.
    Plus ça change.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So we can put the whole Carter v Madigan debate to bed now?

Delighted for Madigan to be getting off to a winning start. This move could turn out to be exactly what he needs and that can only be good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Madigan kicked well for the penalties but had a few bad errors from hand, missed touch with one penalty and kicked another ball dead. Still good start, less pressurised environment might suit him.

James Hart had a pretty poor game for Metro.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Madigan kicked well for the penalties but had a few bad errors from hand, missed touch with one penalty and kicked another ball dead. Still good start, less pressurised environment might suit him.

That describes pretty much every game he plays.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »

James Hart had a pretty poor game for Metro.

Not sure that it will be that much less pressurised ....... I think he would be considered a big signing for Bordeaux, and that will bring pressure. But I'm delighted he got off to a winning start.

Great game this afternoon in which Bayonne held on to beat Toulon 28-23. Really spirited performance by Bayonne spurred on by a passionate home crowd, great viewing really hope they stay up.

It's a long season I know but glad to have the Top14 back. Some games are muck decided by penalties but a good game can be absolutely great. No other way to describe French rugby.

A few interesting stats, there was about 3 Georgians (quite normal), 1 Spanish, 1 Chilean and a few other random nations players on show today.

golfer555 wrote: »
    Great game this afternoon in which Bayonne held on to beat Toulon 28-23. Really spirited performance by Bayonne spurred on by a passionate home crowd, great viewing really hope they stay up.

It's a long season I know but glad to have the Top14 back. Some games are muck decided by penalties but a good game can be absolutely great. No other way to describe French rugby.

A few interesting stats, there was about 3 Georgians (quite normal), 1 Spanish, 1 Chilean and a few other random nations players on show today.

Yeah, I watched that match too - great entertainment, and I love the way Bayonne play. Delighted they hung on to win.

Can I watch the top14 on Virgin, or do setanta have the Irish rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

errlloyd wrote: »
    Can I watch the top14 on Virgin, or do setanta have the Irish rights?

Sky have the rights, so yes.

• Advertisement

Sky have the rights, so yes.

Weird, last night I saw that sky were showing bordeaux v racing, but when I checked at the time it wasn't on, and today I saw highligjts with the Setanta watermark, so I figured setanta may have the Irish rights now.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Weird, last night I saw that sky were showing bordeaux v racing, but when I checked at the time it wasn't on, and today I saw highligjts with the Setanta watermark, so I figured setanta may have the Irish rights now.

It was on the red button, although it wasn't advertised on the guide.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It was on the red button, although it wasn't advertised on the guide.

The match in Bordeaux was on the red button, but last night's match in Bayonne was on the main channel - it was on SS4, which is not the ususal home for rugby. Sky show two Top 14 matches per weekend - I have found that their showings are heavily weighted towards Toulon matches....or maybe I'm paranoid as I dislike Toulon!

vienne86 wrote: »
    The match in Bordeaux was on the red button, but last night's match in Bayonne was on the main channel - it was on SS4, which is not the ususal home for rugby. Sky show two Top 14 matches per weekend - I have found that their showings are heavily weighted towards Toulon matches....or maybe I'm paranoid as I dislike Toulon!

Errloyd was talking about the Bordeaux game though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭phog

Murray Kinsella tweeted earlier today that Mafi was to start at outhalf tonight for Perpignan

Anyone see the game or hear how he got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Grenoble have a lineout on their own 5 and put one pod into the lineout with no la rochelle players jumping. They manage to both overthrow and not get their man up quick enough and it lands into the la rochelle hooker's hands who falls onto the tryline. Grenoble look like a team with some very talented players and no idea what they're meant to be doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are TV5Monde showing any Top14 live this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Are TV5Monde showing any Top14 live this year?
    Don't they only show playoffs?

Madigan on early enough in toulose.

Misses from in front of the posts.

• Advertisement

Nails a very hard one, bad side, touchline, 40 metres.

9-9 HT away to toulose.

This is Madigan best game in years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pau's foreign investment paid off today....all scorers were non French.

Coughlan, slade, Taylor and votu....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Shock away win for Brive over Toulon. Great to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

phog wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella tweeted earlier today that Mafi was to start at outhalf tonight for Perpignan

Anyone see the game or hear how he got on?
    Did not see the game. Read and heard he wasn't special. Piukala made the diff for USAP.

And USAP got crushed 42-13 in Aurillac this week-end. Mafi played 60 min and had no impact.

You can actually see the highlight here if it's accessible from outside France
    => http://www.lnr.fr/rugby-pro-d2/tv-rugby-pro-d2/resume-match/pro-d2-resume-perpignan-mont-de-marsan-19-16-j01-saison-2016-2017

-

Currently, Montpellier are ahead 22-12 at UBB. We kinda need this win after a bad start...

- edit -

Good :). A convincing away win in UBB. 32-15! 2 tries to none.

So no team is 3 from 3!

Grenoble's defensive woes from last season haven't gone away: 103 points conceded in 3 matches (SF away, LR at home, Lyon away).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

So no team is 3 from 3!

Grenoble's defensive woes from last season haven't gone away: 103 points conceded in 3 matches (SF away, LR at home, Lyon away).

I wonder if Grenoble are relegated will Aly return to Connacht *stares mystically into the distance*

Jackman must be on his last legs there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Jackman must be on his last legs there

Yep. It's early days I know but you don't want to be playing catch-up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I wonder if Grenoble are relegated will Aly return to Connacht *stares mystically into the distance*

I think he would get snapped up by some other French team. Afaik he was only offered a 1 year deal due to his age profile.

Advertisement