Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

molloyjh wrote: »
    And breakdown coach......

Saw a report earlier that suggests this is similar enough to what happened at Munster. Ford will be in charge of "attack, defence and overall gameplan". When it was suggested that Dominguez was under pressure he told the press to "stop fantasising about the sacking of Diego Dominguez". This after saying, just 2 weeks ago, that "he will have a last chance" going into the game against Toulouse. It's a mess. But then that's what you get when you decide to hire an inexperienced coach after a 10 minute conversation (“I sat down to lunch with him, and within ten minutes I knew he was the guy”).

it's not working out too badly at the moment for Real Madrid is it?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

it's not working out too badly at the moment for Real Madrid is it?:pac:

I have no idea.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Red card for Parisse in Stade game against Toulouse. Terrible decision IMO. It's a lifting tackle where the man landed on his head/neck area.

Wasn't near over the horizontal and was no force or intent in it at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Toulon v Clermont is on that Sky Sports Mix channel tomorrow at 15:15, for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Grenoble lose at home again - just by one point, but a loss is a loss. Grenoble 38 Pau 39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Jackman lasts the season I'll be shocked. They got rid of Landreau so it's Jackman's team now. Grenoble are mid-table on the budget ladder so it's not a money issue vs. other teams.

Red card for Parisse in Stade game against Toulouse. Terrible decision IMO. It's a lifting tackle where the man landed on his head/neck area.

Wasn't near over the horizontal and was no force or intent in it at all.

Just saw the last 10 minutes. Momentous effort by Stade to get a try at the end and with a good conversion, they grab a BP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Jackman lasts the season I'll be shocked. They got rid of Landreau so it's Jackman's team now. Grenoble are mid-table on the budget ladder so it's not a money issue vs. other teams.

Grenoble have by far the worst financial situation in the league... The players all had to agree to take a pay cut last week, which I'm sure has done wonders for morale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Toulon v Clermont is on that Sky Sports Mix channel tomorrow at 15:15, for anyone interested.

Thanks - it clashes with Leicester V Bath unfortunately, so I'll be flicking between the two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Was Toulon v Clermont a good game? For some reason it didn't record for me earlier even though I have Top14 on series link.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Gavin Mortimer on twitter saying Mourad looking to sell Toulon. He has some other interesting stuff about falling crowd numbers at most clubs

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Gavin Mortimer on twitter saying Mourad looking to sell Toulon. He has some other interesting stuff about falling crowd numbers at most clubs

20k for Montpellier at Marseille is no surprise. When I went to a Toulon game there in 2011 they were selling cheap tickets to fill the ground, IIRC this isn't the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

vienne86 wrote: »
    Grenoble lose at home again - just by one point, but a loss is a loss. Grenoble 38 Pau 39
    That's the defeat that sent them in ProD2. Unless LOU (5 pts ahead) messes up big time, it's already over for them. 8 pts behind Brive & Pau that both have much better momentum.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Was Toulon v Clermont a good game? For some reason it didn't record for me earlier even though I have Top14 on series link.
    Didn't see it so can't say about the quality of play. But certainly an exciting game at least for its scenario (Toulon 16-6 up at HT, could/should have been more but Clermont held off and had a strong 20 first min in the 2nd half, went ahead 21-16 and finally a late Gorgodze try put Toulon ahead, Lopez missing an even later drop goal attempt, inches wide).

---

La Rochelle continue their amazing start. Sole leader after 6 games. 2 away wins already (including Castres) and a 1 pt defeat in Brive. 2nd best attack. 3rd best defense. And a nice attack-minded game. A la UBB a couple of seasons ago.

4th win in a row for Montpellier :D. Nadolo the hero. Paillaugue the "master".

Clermont the strongest team so far, by quite some distance. You have to look at their fixtures in detail. Away to La Rochelle (this season revelation so far), Montpellier & SF in their first 3 games: 2 draws and a win in Montpellier. Then, 2 home trouncing (TBP wins of course) given to Racing & Bordeaux (87-26 the cumulative score). And this close narrow defeat in Toulon yesterday.

Toulon aren't as bad as the media are making them be too. 4 away games in their first 5. LBP defeat in Bayonne. Wins in Pau & Toulouse. 6-3 tries defeat in Racing. So it's just their home defeat vs Brive that looks bad.
    Now it will all be about the internal mess at the club. Boudjelal said yesterday it's his last year as a president. I'll wait and see. He can't stop playing with the media. But if effectively true, it could have its impact...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/nomahony/owner-boudjellal-drops-bombshell-toulon-says-hes-ready-walk-away/

Vern Cotter going to montpellier next summer to replace jake white according to midi

• Advertisement

Vern Cotter going to montpellier next summer to replace jake white according to midi

So much optimism when he took over at Scotland but his record has been poor. Had that game against Australia gone differently in the World Cup however they could well have made the final.

Strange situation regarding White.
    We won our first major trophy last year. We're good in the league so far. But it seems to be a mess internally. I don't like the man so won't regret him. But Cotter appointment that early feels weird. Don't know how much the catastrophic way he dealt with Trinh-Duc last year had any impact on this...

Just saw the dying seconds of La Rochelle v Toulon.....Toulon just got a penalty to draw the match. La Rochelle back top of the table....for tonight anyway.

So Boudjelal gave in to the internal mess within Toulon staff and fired Dominguez...

After an away win in Sales and with Toulon 4th in Top14...

Time will tell but this reminds me of the "young" Boudjelal reacting too fast when he took over RCT...

If you understand French, you have all the chronology of events here ;) => http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Toulon-ford-dominguez-chronique-d-un-fiasco-annonce/740049

iroced wrote: »
    So Boudjelal gave in to the internal mess within Toulon staff and fired Dominguez...

After an away win in Sales and with Toulon 4th in Top14...

Time will tell but this reminds me of the "young" Boudjelal reacting too fast when he took over RCT...

If you understand French, you have all the chronology of events here ;) => http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Toulon-ford-dominguez-chronique-d-un-fiasco-annonce/740049

He is mad as a box of escargots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

Mike ford will relish this chance... good move for him

Bit of competition for Madigan, Bordeaux have signed Simon Hickey from Auckland on a 3 year deal, he was there last year and played 13 times for them.

Ugly lucky over 80 min 1 pt win vs La Rochelle for MHR.

We're 3rd but Vern I can't wait for your arrival :).

Ugly lucky over 80 min 1 pt win vs La Rochelle for MHR.

We're 3rd but Vern I can't wait for your arrival :).

Very very very lucky win!

They LITERALLY threw the game away!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bit of competition for Madigan, Bordeaux have signed Simon Hickey from Auckland on a 3 year deal, he was there last year and played 13 times for them.

He was very good. That's more than a bit of competition for him. If Madigan sees off Hickey long term, he'll be playing the most complete rugby of his career.

It's odd they signed him though after Madigan. Might suggest Madigan could be employed in a similar utility role as before.

Very very very lucky win!

They LITERALLY threw the game away!
    Yeah... And the worrying thing for us, without any disrespect for La Rochelle that are working and developping very well, is that we were dominated for the whole game at home...,

Rugby "officially" started in France in Paris. But several decades of "disappearance from the top" and the French political and societal consideration (or should I say non-consideration) for sport in general have triggered this indifference the article is referring to. Mentality are evolving but it's the whole structure of our society that needs to change its view on sport. Support will never be more than local or events-related if we don't change that. So it's no surprise the Parisian clubs find it tough to stay competitive in Top14 when they don't have a Max Guazzini or Jacky Lorenzetti in command.

-

BTW I hope none of you watched Racing-Montpellier tonight. Awful, ugly, boring, sh*te game. 9-9 up to the 71st min. Soooooo many technical unforced errors... Then we conceded 2 tries and failed to score the LBP try in the over time.

BTW I hope none of you watched Racing-Montpellier tonight. Awful, ugly, boring, sh*te game. 9-9 up to the 71st min. Soooooo many technical unforced errors... Then we conceded 2 tries and failed to score the LBP try in the over time.

It was on at the same time as this other thing we were watching ;)

Scarlets v Glasgow yeah ???

• Advertisement

Scarlets v Glasgow yeah ???

Exactly, great win for the Scarlets.

Thought your game was later.

-

BTW. TBP win home to Pau for La Rochelle that continue to impress. 2nd of Top 14 as of now. Maybe 3rd tonight if Toulon get a win in Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

TOL out injured
    Montpellier's medical joker Tomás O'Leary is ruled out for the next 8 weeks through injury.

That unfortunately could be it for him.

La Rochelle's great run continues, with them beating Toulouse last night (in La Rochelle) - they are second in the table. Sky showed the match last night - great viewing. Toulouse looked to have it sorted when they drew level with about 10 minutes to go, but La Rochelle are some fighters, and managed to get two more penalties, leaving Toulouse without even a LBP. Supporters seem fantastic......if Leinster ever get them in a Champions Cup pool, I'll HAVE to go to La Rochelle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

La Rochelle is a beautiful place and a proper rugby town too. Every bar and/or shop has the teams colours flying on match day, they really buy into it. Can't recommend it enough, it's up there with Bordeaux in terms of best places in France to visit.

golfer555 wrote: »
    La Rochelle is a beautiful place and a proper rugby town too. Every bar and/or shop has the teams colours flying on match day, they really buy into it. Can't recommend it enough, it's up there with Bordeaux in terms of best places in France to visit.

I've never been there while the rugby is on, but have been to both La Rochelle and Bordeaux many times. Highlight in Bordeaux was of course the Leinster v Clermont Heineken Cup semi final in 2012 - I went for a week!!! I would dearly love to go to either of these for a rugby match....even in the middle of winter!

It was a typical "doublon" week-end with all the big teams losing away. Huge blow for Grenoble that could not take advantage of such a GW (though there were quite some controversies in that game).

Anyhow, as I said 1 month ago, I think it's already over for Bayonne & Grenoble. There's already quite a gap to overcome... And the teams ahead of them look much stronger bar maybe... Stade Français that seem to be in quite some mess.

Another awfully ugly win for Montpellier :rolleyes:... We're 4th (co-3rd) with the best defense (only team to have conceded less than 200 pts) for the 7th attack which tells a lot about our style (both in a good and bad way).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't look much at Bayonne's recruitment this summer but I couldn't imagine the rabble that lost to the bottom club in Pro D2 last year mixing it with the big boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

Paddy Butler has signed a two deal with Pau
    Murray Kinsella ‏@Murray_Kinsella 12h12 hours ago
    Great news for former Munster back row Paddy Butler, who has signed a new two-year deal with Pau. http://www.section-paloise.com/actualites/news/733-butler-2-ans-de-mieux … #IrishAbroad

He's done very well to get that deal considering the signings Pau made last summer.
    It's a pity Ulster couldn't get him back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Sky sports mix, channel 407 now showing
    Stade v Montpellier

Sky sports mix, channel 407 now showing
    Stade v Montpellier
    Another ugly game from our side :rolleyes:.

Exciting week-end of rugby in Top14 so far.
    Pau beat Clermont 40-35, 5 tries to 4 in a real thriller!

SF destroyed Bayonne 51-5 (8 tries), admittedly reduced to 14 men after Arganese 18th min RC for a punch in Slimani's face. Bad defeat for Bayonne that were doing better lately.

Montpellier beat Grenoble away 51-37, 7 tries to 4. Not great defense from Grenoble though but at least, the game was exciting to follow, Grenoble giving it a real battling.

I'm afraid though that Bayonne & Grenobme are (gonna) wak(e)ing up too late.

La Rochelle drew 23-23 home to Racing. 3rd home draw against a premium side after Clermont & Toulon. They could/should have won but Racing are a tough nut to crack and even down to 14 men managed to come back in the dying minutes of the game with a late converted try.

Toulouse dominated Brive 30-12. 5 tries to 2.

Only Lyon-Castres (19-23) was a more traditionnal "winter" game :p.

RCT-UBB to go this afternoon. edit. An early red for UBB sealed it for RCT (although they really buried it in the last 20 min).37-10. 5 tries to 1.

So, the half-season table reads (pts, diff, BPs) :

1. Clermont 41 +92 5
    2. Montpellier 37 +65 5
    3. RCT 36 +70 6
    4. La Rochelle 36 +47 6
    5. Castres 34 +76 4
    6. UBB 34 +46 2
    7. Toulouse 33 +20 5
    8. Racing 32 +6 2
    9. SF 29 +25 3
    10. Brive 27 -53 1
    11. Pau 25 -46 5
    12. LOU 24 -35 4
    13. Bayonne 16 -153 0
    14. Grenoble 14 -133 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Massive news came out of France over the weekend with Bernard Laporte winning the race to get the highest job in the FFR.

Laporte has pledged to unite amateur and professional rugby, to develop women’s rugby and rugby sevens as well as creating an ambitious training program.

I think he'll do a great job not just for French rugby but for the sport as a whole.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Novès. Now Laporte. Hopefully our rebirth is well on the way. Now I hope the two will work well together despite all the hype the media were trying to develop around their rivalry. Hopefully too Laporte will encourage a top14 reform and won't agree to make it a top16.

Now, the "bad" news for me is Serge Simon being the number 2 of the FFR. I really can't stand him. I've been listening to his weekly radio show for several years (good show by the way) and I always found him pretty partial and caricaturally stupid. Hopefully he was mainly playing a role for the show for the sake of creating a debate but outside this attitude, I dislike many of his positions, particularly about doping where basically he spent most of his time accusing the anti-doping institutions rather than the players found guilty of taking drugs (irony is he's a doctor). I won't condemn him too quickly though and will give him a chance to prove me wrong and see how he deals with his position that mainly focuses on linking FFR & LNR. That is quite some job since the 2 have been in war for years and Laporte election already raised the war level higher (Clermont & Toulouse presidents have been very critical already!).

Grenoble are 10 points from safety. It's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Anybody see the end of the 1st half of the Toulon Racing game. Just as Halfpenny was about to strike a conversion, Star Wars music blasted out loudly from the PA.. and he missed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

letowski wrote: »
    Anybody see the end of the 1st half of the Toulon Racing game. Just as Halfpenny was about to strike a conversion, Star Wars music blasted out loudly from the PA.. and he missed. :D

I thought it was some popup ad before I realised! Brilliance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

• Advertisement
Advertisement