Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like the star wars music was used instead of the halftime buzzer, that's if they use halftime buzzers in France.

The music came on just as the clock turned 40:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

There's going to be some fallout from the Goosen affair. Is it possible that World Rugby could step in and ban him?
    Racing 92 regrets to announce that Johan Goosen has not appeared at the club for the last two days and seems to have vacated his residence at Le Plessis-Robinson. As far as Racing 92 is concerned, Johan Goosen still remains bound to the club by an employment contract lasting four years, while his residence, company car, locker, and place in the locker-room all remain at his disposal. To this effect, Johan Goosen remains on the list of players qualified by the EPCR to play in the Champions Cup, starting with the match between Racing 92 and Munster this Saturday.

In response to Johan Goosen’s behaviour, Racing 92 is forced to initiate several legal proceedings aimed at enforcing its rights and redressing the harm done to the club. Racing 92 believes that the club is a victim of blatant fraud which Johan Goosen, his associates and various advisers must answer for in court.

Various civil proceedings will be taken out, partly to obtain reimbursement of the advance payments made to Johan Goosen with regard to his image rights, and also to obtain compensation for the non-provision of services to which he had committed in this domain.

A complaint will also be laid with the French Industrial Tribunal in order to prosecute the player’s fraudulent and wrongful failure to fulfil his contractual obligations and to compensate the resulting significant damage for the club.

A criminal complaint will also be filed, as the open-ended employment contract produced by Johan Goosen and signed by one of his friends and business associates appears to constitute a phony document, given that it is not conceivable that a player put an end to his sporting career while at the peak of such career, and accept a position in a South African company for a salary ten times less than what he was earning as a rugby player at Racing 92.

Full light must be shed on the responsibility of the various people who advised Johan Goosen in taking this aberrant and fraudulent strategy, and to this extent, there are grounds for wondering how Johan Goosen is being supported financially given the numerous commitments and investments he has to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There's going to be some fallout from the Goosen affair. Is it possible that World Rugby could step in and ban him?

I've no idea if they have authority to, but I'd be delighted if they did. Retiring to get out of your contract and move elsewhere can't become acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ban him from what? He has retired from the game.

He's in breach of contract and will have legal proceedings taken against him. Unless there's more to this story, I don't see how he has a leg to stand on. It's a bizarre situation. Racing are p*ssed and are going to try and crush him in the courts it would appear.

Buer wrote: »
    Ban him from what? He has retired from the game.

He's in breach of contract and will have legal proceedings taken against him. Unless there's more to this story, I don't see how he has a leg to stand on. It's a bizarre situation. Racing are p*ssed and are going to try and crush him in the courts it would appear.

Well if it's true that he plans on coming out of retirement to join Gloucester then ban him for a period of time when he comes back into the game I'd imagine was the point.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I've no idea if they have authority to, but I'd be delighted if they did. Retiring to get out of your contract and move elsewhere can't become acceptable.
    Maybe under regulation 17.
    17.26.1 In exceptional circumstances where the conduct of a Player(s) or Person(s) is of such a serious/gross nature that his or their continued involvement in the Game in any capacity pending the final determination of the matter by the relevant authority is deemed by World Rugby to be inappropriate and/or potentially prejudicial to the image and reputation of the sport, then World Rugby is entitled to require as it deems fit that the relevant Union(s) provisionally suspend such Player(s) or Person(s) from any involvement in the sport.

Maybe under regulation 17.

I'm not sure they'd be able to argue that Goosens actions are damaging to the sport itself tbh. But I wouldn't feel at all sorry for the guy if he joined Gloucester only to be told he couldn't play for the season. I think I read somewhere that if he leaves Racing early his contract states that he can't sign anywhere else for 18 months so having that enforced would be fair enough. Be that by WR or through legal channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not sure they'd be able to argue that Goosens actions are damaging to the sport itself tbh. But I wouldn't feel at all sorry for the guy if he joined Gloucester only to be told he couldn't play for the season. I think I read somewhere that if he leaves Racing early his contract states that he can't sign anywhere else for 18 months so having that enforced would be fair enough. Be that by WR or through legal channels.

I believe this only applies to other French clubs.

I believe this only applies to other French clubs.
    Yep. The original motivation was an offer from Montpellier iirc; reputed to be around €1 million. He apparently had all kinds of up-front payments from Racing which would have had to be repaid if he broke his contract, so presumably the 'retirement' may have negated this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Toulon looking to change front row after 30 mins. Clermont are demolishing them.

• Advertisement

A lot of concern for Vincent Clerc who went off with a left Achilles injury tonight. He had barely played this season for Toulon because of a right Achilles injury. Hopefully this isn't the end for him. A brilliant player who terrified Irish rugby fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

A lot of concern for Vincent Clerc who went off with a left Achilles injury tonight. He had barely played this season for Toulon because of a right Achilles injury. Hopefully this isn't the end for him. A brilliant player who terrified Irish rugby fans.

He looked pretty upset too. Hopefully we see him playing again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I heard Parra ripped the ball of Gorgodze. Anyone see it or have a gif?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I heard Parra ripped the ball of Gorgodze. Anyone see it or have a gif?

Sorry no link but it was a joy to behold! Parra had a great game but was a bit off with his goal kicking - the curse of the commentators struck as they were bigging up his 89% kicking stats at the start of the game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

GZX3YJ@small.gif

Here ye go lads.

letowski wrote: »
    GZX3YJ@small.gif

Here ye go lads.

Well that's embarrassing.

GB0pgeo.gif

One handed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

One handed!

Led to a try in the end.

Out for 4-5 months. He turns 36 in May so that's probably it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

He played over 300 times for Toulouse, 67 times for the National team, a few games for Toulon, amazing feat to get near 400 professional rugby games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

won't be long before he's in his father in law's coaching team i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Matt Giteau seemingly off to Japan at the end of the season.
    Toulon 7-10 La Rochelle at halftime on Sky Sports 4 now

Oh the tension...

TLN 20-23 La Rochelle

Brock James kicks a last second penalty to win the game for La Rochelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Saw a headline, didn't read the article (Indo) that Toulon have cancelled players vacation after today's loss.

• Advertisement

After 3 years of such dominance it seems to be falling apart at the seems a bit in Toulon. I weep for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Pau beat Toulouse on the road 20 -10 super win for them with Sean Dougall starting, James Coughlan and Paddy Butler coming on in the second half. Puts Pau up to 8 place going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

paddyref wrote: »
    Pau beat Toulouse on the road 20 -10 super win for them with Sean Dougall starting, James Coughlan and Paddy Butler coming on in the second half. Puts Pau up to 8 place going well.
    ....and good news for Munster!

I watched the second half of the match in Toulon - I'm a big fan of La Rochelle, and was delighted to see them take the spoils in the Mayol....and given that there is a possibility of Leinster meeting Toulon if we make it to the semis of the Champions Cup, this loss was good to see!

James Hart kicking penalties tonight for Racing in their game V Lyon

Better news for Munster is that Grenbole got a massive win at home to SF with Chris Farrell amongst the try scorers as he played another 80 minutes. He's a real mainstay of that side (which is nothing to be too proud of this season, I suppose). Also, an injury saw James Hart get on in the first half for Racing who are about to lose to Lyon on the road (which is bad for Grenoble). It seems Carter went off injured around the same time as Hart was on goal kicking duty.

Whilst I haven't been following them closely, it seems the performance against Leinster has worked in the favour of some of the Castres players as 8 of that side started tonight as they soundly beat Montpellier at home with a bonus point. Same halfbacks with Dupont again getting a try for himself.

Madigan back to the bench for Bordeaux along with AAC as the first team comes back in for their home game against Clermont tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Lyon with BP try in final play. Grenoble can't catch a break and Racing are brutal.

Any regular Top14 watchers able to explain La Rochelle's success this season?

Quintis wrote: »

For one thing, they have BIG forwards.....they probably breakfast on wild boar (raw)! They seem to have great spirit in the team and they never give up....they fight to the end of a match. The town of La Rochelle, not renowned for rugby, has really taken the team to heart - sell outs for just about every match, I believe.

Yep, most teams would just write off an away match in Toulon but LR are able to get themselves up for these kind of games and to scrape bonus points were others would throw in the towel. They previously relied on fast passing and back based rugby by have added a fearsome pack to that.

vienne86 wrote: »
    For one thing, they have BIG forwards.....they probably breakfast on wild boar (raw)! They seem to have great spirit in the team and they never give up....they fight to the end of a match. The town of La Rochelle, not renowned for rugby, has really taken the team to heart - sell outs for just about every match, I believe.

Thanks, would you put it down to Collazo and Garbajosa?

I've heard great things about La Rochelle as a tourist spot. Perhaps an Irish team will draw them next season in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I've heard great things about La Rochelle as a tourist spot. Perhaps an Irish team will draw them next season in Europe.

In recent years Munster have travelled there for preseason games, it's a great spot alright

I long for Leinster to have La Rochelle in their pool in Europe. If that ever happens, I shall go to the away match and will stay away for a week.....or more.

Thanks, would you put it down to Collazo and Garbajosa?

I just don't know.

Well whatever it is that La Rochelle have been doing, it has them on top of the Top 14 table going in to the break for the Six Nations.

• Advertisement

Matt Giteau confirms on Twitter he's off to Japan

phog wrote: »
    Matt Giteau confirms on Twitter he's off to Japan

I'd say there will be a considerable clearout in the summer. Drew Mitchell is apparently going back to Super Rugby. Juan Smith, Vincent Clerc and Juan Lobbe will probably all retire. Goromaru (marketing signing 1.01) has barely played and Halfpenny might be returning to Wales.

Apparently Jan Serfontein is going to Montpellier next year. Yet another Saffer at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Buer wrote: »
    Whilst I haven't been following them closely, it seems the performance against Leinster has worked in the favour of some of the Castres players as 8 of that side started tonight as they soundly beat Montpellier at home with a bonus point. Same halfbacks with Dupont again getting a try for himself.
    No BP for Castres. Top14 rule is fairer than ERC one (3 tries more than your opponent to get a TBP such that you can't fix games beforehand).
    vienne86 wrote: »
    They also have the momentum going. It happens almost every single season in top14 that a team no one expects to play the playoff ends up fighting for them after a great start (e.g. Montauban in 2007-08, Brive in 2008-09, Montpellier in 2010-11, UBB in 2011-12, Oyonnax in 2014-15). Now La Rochelle are not only building on momentum. They have a good passing game and they added a strong pack this year.

But it's not true La Rochelle is not known for rugby. It is one of the places in the northern part of France where rugby has always been an important sport. They don't have any other major sports there anyway. The place is actually most famous for water sports, particularly sailing.

La Rochelle is a nice place, notably for its medieval fortifications. Not a huge change of scene for Irish people too since they get oceanic Irish-like weather ;).

Anybody watch Toulouse v La Rochelle just now on Sky Sports Mix? La Rochelle keep up their incredible away record and Toulouse get nul points - finished 21-27. Huge effort from La Rochelle to keep Toulouse from scoring in the dying minutes. This loss could be serious for Toulouse.

They're in serious danger of not qualifying for the ECC next season which would be catastrophic for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see grenoble have the wonderfully named Ali Oz on the bench today. a 21 year old prop, 6' 4 and 145 kg (23 stone) !!

Toulouse lost again today - this time to Brive - though they picked up a LBP. Sad to see them languishing in 10th in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

La Rochelle demolished Dan Carter's Racing 92 on the road this evening (15-38) - what is going on there? :confused:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    La Rochelle demolished Dan Carter's Racing 92 on the road this evening (15-38) - what is going on there? :confused:

La Rochelle are just beating everyone. R92 haven't been good lately either.

• Advertisement

Another huge away win in the Top 14 - Clermont have just been beaten at home by Montpellier, which puts them up to third in the table. Clermont didn't even get the LBP. La Rochelle are now 8 points clear at the top of the table.

Advertisement