Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

vienne86 wrote:
    Another huge away win in the Top 14 - Clermont have just been beaten at home by Montpellier, which puts them up to third in the table. Clermont didn't even get the LBP. La Rochelle are now 8 points clear at the top of the table.

It was a good game, a great result for Montpellier and an even better result for La Rochelle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Reports in l'Equipe this morning that Racing and Stade are set to merge next season. This would have huge repercussions for the French league.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Top-14-une-fusion-entre-le-racing-92-et-le-stade-francais-des-la-saison-prochaine/785175

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

vienne86 wrote: »
    Another huge away win in the Top 14 - Clermont have just been beaten at home by Montpellier, which puts them up to third in the table. Clermont didn't even get the LBP. La Rochelle are now 8 points clear at the top of the table.
    nc6000 wrote: »
    It was a good game, a great result for Montpellier and an even better result for La Rochelle.
    Probably our best game of the season so far. I actually can't quite believe it. A TBP away win in Marcel Michelin. Wow! We needed it. But I wasn't seeing it happening. Anyway, we're back on the right tracks in Top14.

As for La Rochelle. They're just having an incredible season!
    Reports in l'Equipe this morning that Racing and Stade are set to merge next season. This would have huge repercussions for the French league.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Top-14-une-fusion-entre-le-racing-92-et-le-stade-francais-des-la-saison-prochaine/785175
    April fool :p?

By the way, don't know it it was annouced in here (you probably don't really care anyway) but Mohed Altrad will become the jersey sponsor of the French team. What a history this guy have had so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

iroced wrote: »
    By the way, don't know it it was annouced in here (you probably don't really care anyway) but Mohed Altrad will become the jersey sponsor of the French team. What a history this guy have had so far!

Nooooo! I loved the way French jerseys had no sponsor. I'll buy the current one before they ruin it. Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Grenoble apparently told Jackman he was gone at the end of the season and so he quit. Prendergast and Dundon have taken over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »
    Grenoble apparently told Jackman he was gone at the end of the season and so he quit. Prendergast and Dundon have taken over.

Hmmm. I wonder what Jackman will do now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmmm. I wonder what Jackman will do now.

A few more Wolverine films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mike Prendergast has been appointed attack coach at Oyonnax from next season

Yet another away win for La Rochelle on Saturday - against Pau. While Clermont just picked up the LBP away to Racing. La Rochelle are now 11 points clear at the top of the table.

Madigan had a bit of a mare in Bordeaux in their match v Toulouse. He missed 3 from 4 penalties and was subbed on 58 minutes, when Bordeaux were losing 3-11. They ended up winning 20-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

10 points seperating 3rd and 11th. I've barely followed it this year (no Isabelle anymore on Jour de Rugby might partially explain this) but it's ridiculously close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

http://fcgrugby.com/fr/articles/2017/03/29/communique

Grenoble have reinstated the six players caught up in the police investigation, since no one has yet been charged, but reserves the right to take new measures if more information emerges.

GW 24 Some huge scores this GW!

RCT - CO: 23-14
    SF - SP: 51-16
    FCG - ASMCA: 18-59
    CAB - UBB: 19-22
    LOU - ASR: 29-25
    MHR - AB: 61-22
    ST - RM92: 8-10

Rankings

1 Stade Rochelais 80 (+210)
    2 ASM Clermont 70 (+231)
    3 Montpellier Herault Rugby 66 (+137) 1 game in hand
    4 Rugby Club Toulonnais 61 (+130) 61
    5 Racing 92 57 (+23) 1 game in hand
    6 Stade Francais 54 (+25) 1 game in hand
    7 Lyon LOU 54 (-24)
    8 Castres Olympique 53 (+96) 1 game in hand
    9 Union Bordeaux-Begles 53 (+3)
    10 Section Paloise 53 (-82)
    11 CA Brive-Correze 53 (-58)
    12 Stade Toulousain 48 (-7)
    13 FC Grenoble 33 (-265)
    14 Aviron Bayonnais 26 (-419

Rankings is incredibly tight for the play-off. 6 teams in 1 point for the 6th play-off spot. 8 teams in 4 pts.

As I expected after their crap start, Grenoble & Bayonne never got involved in this season. La Rochelle unexpectedly cruised ahead for the whole season but failed to beat the all-time wins in a row record of the top14 by losing to the LOU this week-end.
    Montpellier & Clermont are fighting for the second spot.
    Toulouse are having a mare of a season. First time in 41 years they won't participate in the play-off. They must be really careful in Toulouse or they'll follow Perpignan & Biarritz in Pro D2. Having a great history is good but thinking that it'll be enough to maintain your level is an illusion.

iroced wrote: »
    GW 24 Some huge scores this GW!

RCT - CO: 23-14
    SF - SP: 51-16
    FCG - ASMCA: 18-59
    CAB - UBB: 19-22
    LOU - ASR: 29-25
    MHR - AB: 61-22
    ST - RM92: 8-10

Rankings

2 ASM Clermont 70 (+231)
    3 Montpellier Herault Rugby 66 (+137) 1 game in hand
    4 Rugby Club Toulonnais 61 (+130) 61
    5 Racing 92 57 (+23) 1 game in hand
    6 Stade Francais 54 (+25) 1 game in hand
    7 Lyon LOU 54 (-24)
    8 Castres Olympique 53 (+96) 1 game in hand
    13 FC Grenoble 33 (-265)
    14 Aviron Bayonnais 26 (-419

Rankings is incredibly tight for the play-off. 6 teams in 1 point for the 6th play-off spot. 8 teams in 4 pts.

As I expected after their crap start, Grenoble & Bayonne never got involved in this season. La Rochelle unexpectedly cruised ahead for the whole season but failed to beat the all-time wins in a row record of the top14 by losing to the LOU this week-end.
    Montpellier & Clermont are fighting for the second spot.
    Toulouse are having a mare of a season. First time in 41 years they won't participate in the play-off. They must be really careful in Toulouse or they'll follow Perpignan & Biarritz in Pro D2. Having a great history is good but thinking that it'll be enough to maintain your level is an illusion.

Great round up iroced! When are those outstanding games being played? Is it this weekend?

Edit: Just found it - one match on Wednesday night and one at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I see Dusautoir has announced his intention to retire at the end of the season. One of the greats. Arguably should have called it a day before now. Hasn't been at the same level for a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Buer wrote: »
    I see Dusautoir has announced his intention to retire at the end of the season. One of the greats. Arguably should have called it a day before now. Hasn't been at the same level for a year or two.
    But Dusatoir's 90% is anybody else's 120% :)

He was never a man for throwing in the towel. Up there with Pelous, Picamoles and Harinordoquy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

One of the best flankers of the professional era, up there with the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Montpellier just gave Racing an almighty hiding!

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Montepellier just gave Racing an almighty hiding!
    Yes 54-3! 8 tries to nothing.

Castres gave also quite a thumping to Stade Français earlier in the week. 33-10, 5 tries to 1.

So the new table reads.

Rankings

2 Montpellier Herault Rugby 71 (+188)
    3 ASM Clermont 70 (+231)
    4 Rugby Club Toulonnais 61 (+130)
    5 Castres Olympique 58 (+119)
    6 Racing 92 57 (-28)
    7 Stade Francais 54 (+2)
    8 Lyon LOU 54 (-24)
    13 FC Grenoble 33 (-265)
    14 Aviron Bayonnais 26 (-419)

Last 2 gameweeks.

GW 25
    SAMEDI 29 AVRIL 2017
    Castres - Toulouse
    Pau - Brive
    Bayonne - Grenoble
    Lyon - Clermont
    Bordeaux-Bègles - Toulon
    DIMANCHE 30 AVRIL 2017
    La Rochelle - Montpellier
    Stade Français - Racing 92

GW26
    SAMEDI 6 MAI 2017
    Brive - Castres
    Clermont --La Rochelle
    Toulon - Pau
    Montpellier - Stade Français
    Toulouse - Bayonne
    Grenoble - Lyon
    Racing 92 - Bordeaux-Bègles

So. Still not 100% done for La Rochelle to finish top. Montpellier at homer & Clermont away their last 2 games. La Rochelle will be the ref for the second spot.
    Very tight for the play-off too with 8 teams involved!

Wow. What a result! Castres 52 Toulouse 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

nc6000 wrote: »
    Wow. What a result! Castres 52 Toulouse 7.

Holy sh.............

Good final day of T14. SF away at Montpellier fighting for a top 6 spot and a spot in next season's ECC. 13-13 at half time.

Steyn's penalty from 55m drops just short...Nagusa spills it under his own posts. Scrum 5m to SF which they win a penalty from and go 16-13 up. Howler from Nagusa.

Could all be academic as Racing are finishing their season in keeping with how they've played for most of it and losing 13-3 at home to Bordeaux.

Cracking finish here. 27-21 to Montpellier but SF pushing for winning try and Montpellier have a man in the bin.

Racing have snuck ahead. SF need to win to get ECC rugby.

Incredibly tight for 6th. One point is going to end up separating about 4 teams, it appears.

Unreal. SF score in corner in 82nd minute.

Conversion to get them into the ECC.......Steyn.....misses by a mile!

Racing into the ECC next season. SF into the playoff.

To finish top is an astonishing achievement by La Rochelle. They were promoted back to the Top14 for the 2014-15 season.

Uh oh. SF have lodged a complaint that Montpellier used a player today who was supposed to be suspended due to three yellow cards.

Uh oh. SF have lodged a complaint that Montpellier used a player today who was supposed to be suspended due to three yellow cards.

That could be interesting.

To finish top is an astonishing achievement by La Rochelle. They were promoted back to the Top14 for the 2014-15 season.

I love La Rochelle........the town, and the team. They are so determined and they always loath the full 80 minutes .....they never give up. Even yesterday, Clermont were winning easily, and La Rochelle had already claimed top spot in the league the previous week, they managed to snatch a losing BP near the end. I really hope they do well in the play offs, and I hope they don't lose that form next season......which sometimes happens to French teams which do well from nowhere one season, and almost disappear the next.

Meanwhile, the Stade complaint about Montpellier ......I wonder how that will turn out. Silly of MOntpellier if it is true.....they were comfortably in third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As far as I can make out...

Du Plessis was not named in the initial team sheet because of this suspension, but Montpellier were then told that, because he had been called to a disciplinary hearing on May 17th, he was free to play in the interim, so he was a late addition to the team.

Should he be found to have been ineligible, Stade will be given a bonus point win, lifting them into sixth and pushing Racing back into 7th.

Montpellier remain third whatever happens so it will be gallic shrugs all round in the Herault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I love La Rochelle........the town, and the team. They are so determined and they always loath the full 80 minutes .....they never give up. Even yesterday, Clermont were winning easily, and La Rochelle had already claimed top spot in the league the previous week, they managed to snatch a losing BP near the end. I really hope they do well in the play offs, and I hope they don't lose that form next season......which sometimes happens to French teams which do well from nowhere one season, and almost disappear the next.

Meanwhile, the Stade complaint about Montpellier ......I wonder how that will turn out. Silly of MOntpellier if it is true.....they were comfortably in third.

Quite a few years Munster wood travel there for preseason games.... wouldn't mind another this summer

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Quite a few years Munster wood travel there for preseason games.... wouldn't mind another this summer

If Leinster get them in their pool in the Champions Cup, I'll travel over and stay for a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

La Rochelle very much been the best team this year. As far as I can tell they were actually resting players against Clermont and still went close. The problem for them is they've got 3 weeks until their semi final, and it will have been over a month since their last meaningful match so they could go in a little rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

As far as I can make out...

Du Plessis was not named in the initial team sheet because of this suspension, but Montpellier were then told that, because he had been called to a disciplinary hearing on May 17th, he was free to play in the interim, so he was a late addition to the team.

Should he be found to have been ineligible, Stade will be given a bonus point win, lifting them into sixth and pushing Racing back into 7th.

Montpellier remain third whatever happens so it will be gallic shrugs all round in the Herault.

It's an interesting one. Top 6 get into Champions Cup automatically yeah?

Guess it decides who plays Cardiff in the Champions Cup play-off.

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's an interesting one. Top 6 get into Champions Cup automatically yeah?

Guess it decides who plays Cardiff in the Champions Cup play-off.

More importantly top 6 go into the play offs for the title.

I don't know why they do this. For all the complaints about the length of the season, the most blindingly obvious first step is to only allow the top four into the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

More importantly top 6 go into the play offs for the title.

I don't know why they do this

...€€€

• Advertisement

So Toulon just scraped home against Castres on Friday night, and are in to the semis - these are held on neutral grounds, but hell this year that is Marseille.....so like a home game for Toulon - lucky sods. Meanwhile yesterday, Racing put in a performance the likes of which we have not seen from them all season, and managed to beat Montpellier. If they play like that in the semis, their match v Clermont could be a cracker.

Hard to get tickets for the Toulon v La Rochelle match. Maybe Racing v Clermont...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Trevor Brennans son Daniel was selected for the u20s France squad for the 20s championship, definitely one to watch out for.

Montpellier fired six players under contract and sign a player with a million euro buyout clause.

What's this ****e now?

A real cruncher between La Rochelle and Toulon. 15-6 to La Rochelle, but they have just got a red card. 1/2p slots the penalty. 15-9 now. Big moment in the match.

• Advertisement

This will be heartbreaking if La Rochelle's season ends because of a red card.

15-12 with 15 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Can someone not shut Cockerill up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What channel is this on?

Sky Sports 3 or Channel 796 on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Northampton just beat Stade 23 22 for final champions cup place.

Northampton were down to 13 players after Tom Wood stamped on some guy's head and got sent off. But they got a try converted by Mallinder.

15 each now. La Rochelle have missed two difficult penalties - Brock James has gone off.

Atonio is on for the fourth time in this match I think.

Pheck pheck pheck. La Rochelle lose. I am GUTTED for them. And to lose to Toulon of all teams. I'm nearly as upset about this as I was about Leinster losing to Scarlets!

There was only one way that was going to end. Sickened!
    Got some free tickets for the other semi. Hope there's a bit more running in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Pheck pheck pheck. La Rochelle lose. I am GUTTED for them. And to lose to Toulon of all teams. I'm nearly as upset about this as I was about Leinster losing to Scarlets!
    Really poor end to the season for them. Lost the Challenge Cup semi at home to Gloucester and now this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement