Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

They had 2 penalty kicks to win it and in fairness the 2nd one should have been kicked.

Antonio playing in the 2nd row. Don't think I've ever seen a prop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They had 2 penalty kicks to win it and in fairness the 2nd one should have been kicked.

It was the halfway line and bit to the side. A very difficult kick. He had to give it a serious hoof to get the distance and that probably cost him in the accuracy stakes. I'd consider it a shot to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    It was the halfway line and bit to the side. A very difficult kick. He had to give it a serious hoof to get the distance and that probably cost him in the accuracy stakes. I'd consider it a shot to nothing.

Both of those penalties were monster kicks. Damn Toulon anyway - it was like a home game for them, being in 'neutral' Marseille.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Antonio playing in the 2nd row. Don't think I've ever seen a prop there.

He has played there a few times lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Who is due to take over as coach of Toulon next season? I know Cockeril is due to move to Edinburgh but I wonder will this still happen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Much better second semi final. Seven tries as Clermont ran out 37-31 winners, though it was wired up long before the two late consolation scores for Racing.

The final will inevitably be a dour event with Toulon scraping a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

The final will inevitably be a dour event with Toulon scraping a win.

Not sure I could take Clermont losing another final. :eek:

Chris Masoe finished his career off with a yellow card that should have been a red, two tries and a conversion.

Chris Masoe finished his career off with a yellow card that should have been a red, two tries and a conversion.

Knowing Masoe it was probably just a bit of handbags.

• Advertisement

Anyone up for the curtain-lowerer of the European season? Another heroic failure for the Jaunards in the offing or will Toulon's one dimension prove too few?

Anyone up for the curtain-lowerer of the European season? Another heroic failure for the Jaunards in the offing or will Toulon's one dimension prove too few?

Can't see Clermont losing. Toulon are in decline. Their goal kicker is in NZ.

Lopez is not Brock James. They have the goods to win this. I'd say Clermont by 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fair play to whoever just took a knee to shake Macrons hand. Respectful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Not just shaking hands but having a word with every player too. Nice touch

Really weird the way your man shakes all their forearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

asking for their ma's numbers

• Advertisement

Toulon will have to weather 20 minutes of this I reckon. Is it just me or were there three forward passes in that Clermont attack'?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Great start to the game

Was 1/2penny alowed by Toulon to go to NZ or was it in his contract that he can go no questions asked?

Sexy try!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Some pace

• Advertisement

Allez les jaunards! What a passage of play. The intensity and physicality in Clermont's 22 from both sides was as high as any test match.

Fantastic counter attack. 10 minutes gone but a long way back for the old legs in the Toulon side already.

Take a breath......

More action and excitement in that first 10 minutes then a certain game yesterday morning.

I didn't think Clerc would make it onto a rugby pitch again.

Pure ignorance from commentators acting shocked when Bastareaud shows any skill.

Has there ever been a move which has lifted the profile and esteem in which a player is held as Abendanon to Clermont?

He started 1 game for England ever which was a RWC warm up in 2007 when he was 20. Got one other cap off the bench. He has been arguably the most consistent and exciting back three player in Europe over the past 3 years since moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Abendanon's form also remained consistent despite rotating between wing and fullback after Spedding's arrival.

Has there ever been a move which has lifted the profile and esteem in which a player is held as Abendanon to Clermont?

He started 1 game for England ever which was a RWC warm up in 2007 when he was 20. Got one other cap off the bench. He has been arguably the most consistent and exciting back three player in Europe over the past 3 years since moving.

Gopperth to Wasps is working out OK.

Next score for Clermont and I think that's game over. For all the talk against Leinster of Clermont not being able to keep pace in the second half, Toulon are older again and won't be able to chase a game. They need to be close enough to chip away with penalties. Anything more than 12 points at half time and I think it's Clermont's title.

Gopperth to Wasps is working out OK.

Good shout. Has to be up there in terms of successful signings for a guy who wasn't a name at test level. Always seemed like a great bloke too.

Call me cynical but I think JOC play acted on that. Definite yellow but I don't think he was lights out at all despite appearing to be initially.

• Advertisement

Needed that for the game. Time to see if Clermont can stand up now.

Don't know how Poite looked at 2 Toulon lads run straight beyond the ruck, take guys out and give penalty advantage to Toulon.

Call me cynical but I think JOC play acted on that. Definite yellow but I don't think he was lights out at all despite appearing to be initially.

milked it alright

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    milked it alright
    Is it worth it though? To have an HIA check on your record, even if he passed it?
    To fake a concussion now a days just seems idiotic.

Is it worth it though? To have an HIA check on your record, even if he passed it?

It was a reflex, I think. Got tackled high, threw himself down to highlight the tackle. As soon as the medics arrived, he tried to show how lucid he was and prove he was fine.

Nonu having a belter. That's a match defining moment though by spilling at the ruck. Looking at potential 7 points and then find themselves back on their own 22 defending.

he isn't the brightest lad now is he.

Belter of a final.

Don't understand Clermont's defensive strategy. You cannot allow that Toulon midfield space to get up a head of steam. They're very passive and hesitant in their actions. I think if they came up that bit harder and quicker, they'd get some joy killing the attack behind the gain line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Unforgivable from Toulon there.

Let off for Clermont.

They really need to stop being so passive and yielding the gain line. Toulon are taking heart from Clermont's nerves.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Unforgivable from Toulon there.
    The missed kick? Wasn't a particularly tough one but wasn't a gimme either.

Same again, even easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What a tackle.

FTD and Giteau on to steady the ship.

A beaut of a kick from Parra. Strettle almost gathers.

Toulon trying to bore Clermont to sleep now

• Advertisement

Great turn over from Fritz Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fritz Lee is a quality player, has been for some time now.

Vermeulen is handling the ol' francais pretty well too.

ongarite wrote: »
    Great turn over from Fritz Lee

But of a gimme for him.

He can't miss this one, can he?

and he doesn't, back to 3

Para, that was pretty great, and the penalty could win the match

• Advertisement
Advertisement