Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looked pretty easy alright! Probably a stupid question but what's the countdown under the time about?
    Kickers have 90 seconds for conversion or penalty (60). I don't think Ive yet to see a team punished if they run out of time.

Basteruad just put in the most disgusting cowardly forearm hit to the head on a player already on the ground. Pure thug move.
    Straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Deserved red for Bastareaud, nasty nasty challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Basteruad just put in the most disgusting cowardly forearm hit to the head on a player already on the ground. Pure thug move.
    Straight red.

He really doesn't do himself any favours. Zero sympathy for him

Straight red.

I've not much faith in the French disciplinary system but he should be looking at a very long ban. Just outright thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I've not much faith in the French disciplinary system but he should be looking at a very long ban. Just outright thuggery.

World Rugby need to ensure he gets banned properly. 20 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    World Rugby need to ensure he gets banned properly. 20 weeks at least.

At that level it is up there with the worst of "tackles" should get a year for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It's a shocker alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

WTF was he thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's the same level of viciousness as the Callum Clarke arm break incident. He got six months for that iirc. Even then I remember thinking that was too light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kickers have 90 seconds for conversion or penalty (60). I don't think Ive yet to see a team punished if they run out of time.

Sexton did once.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-kick-clock-racing-clermont-1955150-Feb2015/%3famp=1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yes, but the conversion was still taken and play went on. Still never seen one scored and then called off for taking too long or not been aloud take it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Sickened Toulon got the win. In fairness the game was brewing over before Basteraud acted out in outright thuggeery. Urdapilleta was looking for some at the final whistle. Game was stolen from Castres. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bastareaud shouldn't be back until the New Year at least. An attack on a defenceless player's head. Calum Clark level thuggery.

Bastareaud shouldn't be back until the New Year at least. An attack on a defenceless player's head. Calum Clark level thuggery.

I was reading something last night and someone pointed out that in this one breakdown alone there is at least 3 yellow cards worth of infringements on top of the red card and likely severe ban.

Any word out of Mourad yet? When I saw the incident I thought there was a 50/50 chance that the main talking point in the aftermath would be Boujelal pulling a Serena on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

Bastareaud will get 3 months at least ... he's had previous too... cheap shot and should get rightly banned..

how's savea getting on at Toulon??

I've only caught highlights of Toulon games so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Nice try for Zebo here at 2.15, gets an assist in the next play, but Toulouse look absolutely reborn this season.

Another bad week for Perpignan, Jackson might get to experience the joys of ProD2 if they don't get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zebo is going really well there. That's 3 tries for him. He seems to have settled very quickly and with that record, he'll be a fan's favourite very quickly.

Due to budgets and personnel, I'd have thought Perpignan were always strong contenders for the drop but they must be favourites based on the opening 4 weeks. They're currently bottom without a win. Whilst I'm sure Jackson would want to help keep them up, I'd also imagine he has a relegation release clause in his contract. It could end up working out fairly well for him if that's the case. He goes well in French rugby for a season and another, more prestigious side could well take him on.

Buer wrote: »
    Due to budgets and personnel, I'd have thought Perpignan were always strong contenders for the drop but they must be favourites based on the opening 4 weeks. They're currently bottom without a win. Whilst I'm sure Jackson would want to help keep them up, I'd also imagine he has a relegation release clause in his contract. It could end up working out fairly well for him if that's the case. He goes well in French rugby for a season and another, more prestigious side could well take him on.

Weirdly they didn't start Jackson last week, they benched him. I don't know if the rest of their team was first choice though.

• Advertisement

Weirdly they didn't start Jackson last week, they benched him. I don't know if the rest of their team was first choice though.

It's France; they rotate all their players and it was a likely defeat. He had already started the first 3 games so it was likely he'd sit this one out. Zebo was benched the week before for Racing.

From the highlights I've seen of their matches, he's been going pretty well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Any word on the outcome of Basteraud's red card last week?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Any word on the outcome of Basteraud's red card last week?

Hearing is Wednesday (for some reason)

Hearing is Wednesday (for some reason)
    Its a strange one. Hasn't had any sanction besides the red card yet, but was still suspended for last weekend against Stade.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Interesting to see that Stuart Olding, after playing the first two matches for Brive at 12, has now played the last two at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its a strange one. Hasn't had any sanction besides the red card yet, but was still suspended for last weekend against Stade.
    Was always going to be suspended from playing until hearing held.
    French seem to hold discipline hearings every couple of weeks not in the week after the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bastareaud got five weeks.

Pathetic.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Spenser gets 4 and Bastareaud gets 5 ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

And isn't he already almost two weeks into the five weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bastareaud got five weeks.

That's a joke

• Advertisement

Can someone remind me when the autumn tests start again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

7 weeks to autumn internationals, handy init.

French disciplinary committee decide ban will last until before France play again. Some coincidence that.........

Who handed out that ban?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if World Rugby step in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Who handed out that ban?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if World Rugby step in there.

I would hope so - 5 weeks is just a joke, especially given his record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For those who don't know what this is about:

Zebo with I think his 4th try in 5 games

Zebo with I think his 4th try in 5 games

He's doing brilliantly and seems to be a big hit with the fans.

Still banging the same drum about Ireland selection. Tommy Bowe's 2008 move to Ospreys now deemed relevant in 2018. Hmm.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/are-you-watching-joe-schmidt-simon-zebo-is-in-stellar-try-scoring-form-for-racing-92-37345443.html

He's doing brilliantly and seems to be a big hit with the fans.

Still banging the same drum about Ireland selection. Tommy Bowe's 2008 move to Ospreys now deemed relevant in 2018. Hmm.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/are-you-watching-joe-schmidt-simon-zebo-is-in-stellar-try-scoring-form-for-racing-92-37345443.html

Think it's actually 5th try cos he scored 2 last night. Top 14 table doesn't seem to give tries for and tries against like Pro 14 but fair to say game more open/less defensive so even by losing teams can notch up a few tries?

I get that it's coming up to the World Cup and no doubt he'd love to be involved especially after missing out on the Grand Slam but saying ''there's no rule'' seems more like wishful thinking.

Ashton was Top 14's record tryscorer but was only added to Jones squad once he was back. If Zebo was coming back it might make a different argument but unfortunately for him, I think that door is closed at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Think it's actually 5th try cos he scored 2 last night. Top 14 table doesn't seem to give tries for and tries against like Pro 14 but fair to say game more open/less defensive so even by losing teams can notch up a few tries?

I get that it's coming up to the World Cup and no doubt he'd love to be involved especially after missing out on the Grand Slam but saying ''there's no rule'' seems more like wishful thinking.

Ashton was Top 14's record tryscorer but was only added to Jones squad once he was back. If Zebo was coming back it might make a different argument but unfortunately for him, I think that door is closed at the moment.

It was in the papers ages ago that Zebo said he was told that there was no rule, but that if his availability was compromised it would be difficult to see how he could be included in the Irish squad.
    Nothing changed since then as far as I can see.
    Coming into the World Cup if he were available for all the pre-season and warm-up games for Ireland and the RWC itself then a good season would put him in the frame for selection.
    The other point which I think he made was that he doesn’t like to play a rigid game-plan, which I think will be a major reason if he doesn’t get selected again, at least while Schmidt is the selector.

The only way Zebo could be less in the plans for the RWC is if there was a league in outer space that he played in. It's a pointless discussion. It doesn't matter if he's available for pre-season and the RWC after scoring 50 tries this season.

Even if he was in Ireland, he wouldn't be assured a spot in the 23. Playing outside of Ireland, he might as well be retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I assume you are alluding to the fact that there are other options for the 23, but what about the 31?
    Also there are almost always a few injuries in every squad, so he may prove to be worth his place if a gap opened up.
    The biggest issue for the IRFU is the fact he’s outside of Ireland, and they probably don’t want to do anything that might give impetus to our top players to move abroad.
    Ian Madigan is in the same boat I’d say.

I assume you are alluding to the fact that there are other options for the 23, but what about the 31?
    Also there are almost always a few injuries in every squad, so he may prove to be worth his place if a gap opened up.
    The biggest issue for the IRFU is the fact he’s outside of Ireland, and they probably don’t want to do anything that might give impetus to our top players to move abroad.
    Ian Madigan is in the same boat I’d say.

Yeah I think with it being a WC year, there is more chance of other players being involved due to injury etc compared to say 6N, summer or Autumn series say. But at the same time, I think the chance of Zebo being involved is basically zero

No, he's not in the picture. It is a pointless discussion. If he was in consideration for the 31, he'd be involved in the 50 player training camp that took place before the season.

I don't know how to make it clearer. Zebo is never, ever, ever, ever, ever being call up for Ireland whilst in France.

Conway, Earls, Sweetnam, Haley, Larmour, Kearney, Kearney 2, McFadden, ROL, Gilroy, Stockdale, Addison, Healy....all of these guys will be called up before Zebo's name would even be suggested.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know how to make it clearer. Zebo is never, ever, ever, ever, ever being call up for Ireland whilst in France.

Taylor Swift's We Are Never Getting Back Together is surprisingly apt for the Schmidt Zebo relationship
    I remember when we broke up, the first time
    Saying, this is it, I've had enough
    'Cause like we hadn't seen each other in a month
    When you, said you, needed space (what?)
    Then you come around again and say
    Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change, trust me
    Remember how that lasted for a day?
    I say, I hate you, we break up, you call me, I love you

Oh we called it off again last night
    But oh, this time I'm telling you, I'm telling you
    We are never ever, ever getting back together
    We are never ever, ever getting back together
    You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
    But we are never ever, ever, ever getting back together
    Like, ever

I'm really gonna miss you picking fights
    And me, falling for it screaming that I'm right
    And you, would hide away and find your peace of mind
    With some indie record that's much cooler than mine

No, he's not in the picture. It is a pointless discussion. If he was in consideration for the 31, he'd be involved in the 50 player training camp that took place before the season.

And no-one knows this better than Simon Zebo. This is all just a PR thing.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Taylor Swift's We Are Never Getting Back Together is surprisingly apt for the Schmidt Zebo relationship

Brave quoting Taylor Swift on a rugby forum...!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

everybody knows the song and everybody loves it, no matter what they say

ooooh oooh oh oh ooh

the lyrics are surprisingly valid too!

Zebo was in, doing well, then injured (we hadn't seen each other in a month), not picked, gave out about the style (said he needed space), was then in and out of squads, lots of people said he should be picked (you go talk to your friends, go talk to my friends) and then Joe told him he wouldn't be in (go talk to me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

CatFromHue wrote: »
    everybody knows the song and everybody loves it, no matter what they say

ooooh oooh oh oh ooh

the lyrics are surprisingly valid too!

Zebo was in, doing well, then injured (we hadn't seen each other in a month), not picked, gave out about the style (said he needed space), was then in and out of squads, lots of people said he should be picked (you go talk to your friends, go talk to my friends) and then Joe told him he wouldn't be in (go talk to me)

speak for yourself.

Shocking victory for Montpellier over Toulouse today

Advertisement