Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Heymans wrote: »
    speak for yourself.

Shocking victory for Montpellier over Toulouse today

Not really, Montpelier were at home and Toulouse had a player red carded after about 15 minutes. Hard to read anything into a game like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not really, Montpelier were at home and Toulouse had a player red carded after about 15 minutes. Hard to read anything into a game like that.

It was already 21-3 when the red card came. Looks like it was going to be some pasting regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Buer wrote: »
    It was already 21-3 when the red card came. Looks like it was going to be some pasting regardless.

Mola rested most of his first string and played his young players. They were all over the shop tbh. He took a massive risk and got punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Olding just had another top class outing for Brive there. Set up a beautiful try by breaking from outhalf through the backline and spreading it wide. Top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Heymans wrote: »
    Olding just had another top class outing for Brive there. Set up a beautiful try by breaking from outhalf through the backline and spreading it wide. Top class.

His 'top class outing' lasted 11 minutes. He was red carded for an outrageous tip tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hard to make out what happened there - did the tackled player jump or is Olding a lot stronger than he looks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hard to make out what happened there - did the tackled player jump or is Olding a lot stronger than he looks?

I don't think he jumped, I think Olding just got under the legs and as he lifted up the other players momentum carried him.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

His 'top class outing' lasted 11 minutes. He was red carded for an outrageous tip tackle.

I admit I only saw the second half....saw on playback his try - wasn't aware he was sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That's about the clearest red card you'll ever see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Very weird tackle. White player jumps and ****s himself up in the process. Not sure how Olding's legs ended up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

nc6000 wrote: »

Incident from another angle:

SXQiBXM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What's the French reaction to the Toulon-Newcastle result at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Pienaar returning to Ulster? Where is that coming from

Synode wrote: »

Left field ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Synode wrote: »
    That's been on the cards since last year. Still has a house in Belfast afaik and there was a coaching job being kept warm for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My Instagram notified me that "Clement Daguin" has liked your picture.
    'Who the fock is Clement Daguin' says I.

Stade Francais scrum half it seems.

Don't be sliding in my DMs now. It's Conor Murray or it's nothing!

Bit random though, picture was completely unrelated to rugby, Paris, France or celementines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Perpignan look like they are going back down to ProD2. A loss today, albeit away, to fellow strugglers Toulon. 3 points earned from 9 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Second weekend of games after break for November internationals.
    Clermont going strong at top but Perpignan really looking poor and likely to be going back down to ProD2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Second weekend of games after break for November internationals.
    Clermont going strong at top but Perpignan really looking poor and likely to be going back down to ProD2.

Is there a rumour Jackson is going to Lyon next season? I'm sure he would have a release clause if Perpignan go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Toulouse playing Stade at home. 30 minutes gone and Stade have just got their 3rd yellow - all deserved. Down to 13 now, but had a moment when they were down to 12.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is there a rumour Jackson is going to Lyon next season? I'm sure he would have a release clause if Perpignan go down.

Yes on both counts.

They're now 0 wins from 11 with only 4 points. They might just be the worst team in Europe so looks like Jackson will be triggering that clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yes on both counts.

They're now 0 wins from 11 with only 4 points. They might just be the worst team in Europe so looks like Jackson will be triggering that clause.

That Perpignan team would destroy the Dragons to be fair.

I didn't know Rory Scholes had joined Brive.
    Going to see himself and Olding in the flesh tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I didn't know Rory Scholes had joined Brive.

He has been there around 3 weeks.

I really had to stop myself from cracking a joke about this.

A Stade Francais espoirs player has died following a neck injury sustained in a tackle in a game on Sunday which caused cardiac arrest.

http://www.stade.fr/actualites/news/communique/2018-12-12-message-stade-francais-paris-en-accord-avec-famille-de-nicolas-chauvin

It's the second death due to tackling in the pro ranks of French rugby this year, awful stuff.

A Stade Francais espoirs player has died following a neck injury sustained in a tackle in a game on Sunday which caused cardiac arrest.

http://www.stade.fr/actualites/news/communique/2018-12-12-message-stade-francais-paris-en-accord-avec-famille-de-nicolas-chauvin

It's the second death due to tackling in the pro ranks of French rugby this year, awful stuff.

19 years of age, such a horrible thing to happen. The other young lad who passed away a few months ago was only 22 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Toulon getting themselves out of jail here, bigtime. Stade throwing it away, two tries (albeit one that shouldn't have been given) in the last few minutes of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Toulon getting themselves out of jail here, bigtime. Stade throwing it away, two tries (albeit one that shouldn't have been given) in the last few minutes of the game.

Some bizzare game. Woeful defence at the end from Stade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

An awful decision by Poite and/or the TMO to allow that try. The Toulon knock-on was obvious on the replay - it's just as well that Specsavers don't sponsor the French referees! I wonder was he trying to compensate Toulon for the Gorgodze yellow card. I hope that PO'C (who is part of the Stade coaching team) had a word with him about it afterwards! ;)

Plisson's funk non-tackle of the Toulon winger as he scored the winning try was hilarious, although I doubt that Stade found it amusing.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1089588289491877889

I dunno, I can see Poite's point on the knock-on for the first one, hard to tell if it hits the ground between the first and second contacts. If it's not clear and obvious, he has to allow it.

Plisson should be taken out and shot for his lazy tracking back and utterly feeble attempt at a tackle for the second try. No excuse for that.

A while back there was discussion of a change to the way substitutions were to be used in the Pro D2. Just looking back at the most recent match I watched and the second half for one team went like this:

44', LUAFUTU replaced by BÉAL
    48', JUSTES replaced by BUROTU
    48', BÉAL replaced by LUAFUTU
    53', LUAFUTU replaced by BÉAL
    53', LOCKLEY replaced by MONDOULET
    53', SOLA replaced by MUNRO
    58', TAUMALOLO replaced by VERNET
    58', KBAIER replaced by LOCKLEY
    58', MORENO RODRIGUEZ replaced by MAKÉ
    65', TUAPATI replaced by CARRAT
    74', NARUMASA replaced by JUSTES
    77', LOCKLEY replaced by KBAIER

It's just like basketball at this stage

• Advertisement

A while back there was discussion of a change to the way substitutions were to be used in the Pro D2. Just looking back at the most recent match I watched and the second half for one team went like this:

It's just like basketball at this stage
    Its not really like basketball at all.
    Its like amatuer rugby here in most cases as you can replace players tactically if the player hasnt went off as an injury replacement.
    It works well at that level. see how it could work well in pro game

Zebo really spilled the beans on the Racing players attitudes towards French team management. He was on the House of Rugby pre six nations panel and said he reckoned there was a problem there between the players and the coach. He didn't hide the negativity at all and he's fairly thrown the Racing French Internationals under the bus.

Anyone see the panel?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I heard the podcast.... He wasn't shy about saying that he didn't work well under Joe Schmidt's detailed systems

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yeah I heard the podcast.... He wasn't shy about saying that he didn't work well under Joe Schmidt's detailed systems

It felt like someone giving out about their mam so much that by the time they were done you found yourself taking the mam's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Since Zebo has left, he's become very unlikable imo.
    I'm glad he's ostracized from the national team, he appears to be a huge Zebo fan and plays the victim card all the time.

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Since Zebo has left, he's become very unlikable imo.
    I'm glad he's ostracized from the national team, he appears to be a huge Zebo fan and plays the victim card all the time.
    :rolleyes:
    Thats way OTT and he hasnt at all become unlikeable. Dont see too much wrong with what he's done since leaving.

He should be involved with Ireland considering his form but wont with IRFU policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I disagree, compare him to the others who have left?
    It's all about Zebo imo.
    I just think he's selfish .
    Of course, it's just by opinion.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I disagree, compare him to the others who have left?
    It's all about Zebo imo.
    I just think he's selfish .
    Of course, it's just by opinion.
    But any winger etc will be selfish as they have to be to a large extent
    Its the same with all these guys...

Looks like Clermont are away on tour in Japan at the moment. Dunno is it usual for teams to go on tour abroad during 6N break?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like Clermont are away on tour in Japan at the moment. Dunno is it usual for teams to go on tour abroad during 6N break?

Was a one off charity match I believe. Suppose it's a change to training camps etc during the international windows. A lot of players would be off on holiday etc anyways now.

Racing v Toulouse on this Sunday on Sky. Will be interesting to see result with the repeat fixture in Champions Cup quarter-final. Wonder will Donnacha Ryan be back in squad after injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Eod100 wrote: »
    Racing v Toulouse on this Sunday on Sky. Will be interesting to see result with the repeat fixture in Champions Cup quarter-final. Wonder will Donnacha Ryan be back in squad after injury?

will be difficult to gauge properly with a large number of very influential players being away.

will be difficult to gauge properly with a large number of very influential players being away.

True, should be interesting match up all the same!

Donnacha Ryan out of the Racing team today. Must still be coming back from injury

Mourad not happy with Savea. Not too sure of context. Google translation fairly ropey. He doesn't seem the most pleasant of individuals.. https://twitter.com/pauleddison/status/1097115095644233733?s=19

• Advertisement
Advertisement