Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

According to reports, Elsom failed a medical at Toulon and his move won't be happening. You'd worry for his career at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Anyone watched BO-MHR yesterday ?

Great news for French rugby. Big Serge is BACK ! Almighty and powerful ! Now he just has to find his way into IRB and the next WC is ours ! Yippee !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

iroced wrote: »
    Anyone watched BO-MHR yesterday ?

Great news for French rugby. Big Serge is BACK ! Almighty and powerful ! Now he just has to find his way into IRB and the next WC is ours ! Yippee !!! :D
    ???

Is this a dig at Serge Blanco... or did Serge Betsen turn up for training? :P

I presume there was a few dodgy decisions?

I just saw highlights on TV5, Montpellier were given 2 yellow cards which were both very harsh, both times the ref consulted the same touch judge. Tbf in an interview the ref put his hands up afterwards and said the first one was wrong (as far as I could understand anyway!).

After the game Serge brought a bottle of champagne into the dressing room, which he promised to do if Biarritz won.

Anyway, au revoir Mont-de-Marsan, they'll almost certainly relegated even at this early stage. Zero points from four games and FCG got a try bonus point too, some of their tries were pretty easy. Grenoble are the surprise of the season, 3 wins from 4 and 13 points on the board already. Agen are in trouble now with no wins yet.

Toulon ran in some nice tries against Bordeaux, although two were handed to them by their former winger Thierry Brana. Wilko got injured early on which meant Michalak came on to make his home debut.

Next week sees some interesting fixtures: Montpellier vs Toulon, USAP vs Toulouse, Castres vs Biarritz while Agen host Grenoble in a game they badly need to win. God help MDM, they host Clermont, they'll need some rosary beads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Galthie complained about the 2 YC they received at the end of the match.

I think iroced is a MHRC fan. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

DDC1990 wrote: »
    ???

Is this a dig at Serge Blanco... or did Serge Betsen turn up for training? tongue.png

I presume there was a few dodgy decisions?
    BoarHunter wrote: »

Yes I am Montpelliérain but I'm not a blind nor a radical supporter. Montpellier played bad yesterday but the refereeing was just... incredible. I mean it was so obviously biased that it looked like a rugby farce. I said after the last RWC final that the real loser was rugby. Yesterday was the same. If it goes on like that rugby will become a complete farce every other sport will laugh at.
    It's like the changing of the rules (especially regarding the scrum) every year.

To come back to yesterday's game Thomond highlighted some important facts. Then we all know in France what it means to play in Biarritz. But we're/I'm no parano. Last year Montpellier won there with the TBP. But if you add all the strange decisions (e.g. remember the Yachvilli special treatment last year or the Basque derby) favouring Biarritz to save them from relegation last year and to start like that this season you'll turn into John McEnroe saying "you cannot be serious!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

He is & has never hidden it.

He is also 100% right, (if somewhat passionate from an Irish pov) about the shenanigans between the various officials yesterday.
    Monty were hung out to dry.

BO have a good enough team to beat Monty at home without that carryon. The scoreline did not in any way represent the quality (or lack of, particuarilly 1st half) on view.

"Pathetic" is too generous a term in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Intriguing battle coming to a close in France between Clermont and Racing. 13-12 with a few minutes left. Not pretty but interesting for the Munster and Leinster fans amongst us. If Racing are interested in the HEC this season, they'll be a serious test for Munster in Paris. They've huge power up front. Botha will need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Clermont not clicking but look dangerous on the ball.

Racing will have JM Hernandez and Juan Imhoff to come back too from the Rugby Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Last season, ESPN ran a programme of highlights - I think it was on Monday evenings. I don't see it on their schedule this season. Anyone know if there is anything like this on any channel this season?

ESPN aren't broadcasting T14 this season so I doubt it!

Massive win for Toulon tonight, 25-32 away to Montpellier. 5 wins from 5.

Toulon were 0-19 up at one stage, Montpellier got 2 late tries to secure a LBP.

USAP score five tries to beat Toulouse 34-20 in Barcelona.

USAP score five tries to beat Toulouse 34-20 in Barcelona.

They destroyed them in the first 50 & hung on afterwards.

No party though. The Perpie bus driver, Paul Okeséné, 44, had a heart attack & passed away during the game.
    The ex league player was the regular driver for the squad & the team are said to be in a state of shock.

My thoughts & prayers for the family.

RIP

Another win for Toulon, with a try bonus point!

Another win for Toulon, with a try bonus point!

Remember McKenzies Paris...................RCT heading for a fall.

Stade Francais almost cause the shock of the season but Clermont get two late three pointers to win 28-25 at Stade Marcel Michelin.

Massive win for Bayonne today in the Basque derby, they get out of the relegation zone.

Table after 7 weekends:

Clermont 27
    Toulon 27
    Toulouse 24
    Biarritz 19
    Montpellier 19
    Grenoble 18
    Racing Métro 18
    Castres 16
    Perpignan 15
    Agen 14
    Bayonne 11
    Stade F 11
    Bordeaux 10
    M de Marsan 0

Next weekend Stade Francais travel to Mont-de-Marsan in a must win game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭rje66

Next weekend Stade Francais travel to Mont-de-Marsan in a must win game.[/Quote]

To be refereed by upand coming leinster branch ref dudley phillips.

• Advertisement

Don't know about your impression but I think that the 5 seconds rule is making the game better to watch. any thoughts ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the story with Mike Phillips? I can't find any details other than he went drinking after a match and was suspended indefinitely, although I gather they've given him a reprieve.

Biarritz 9-36 Toulon, BP win for RCT.

What's the story with Mike Phillips? I can't find any details other than he went drinking after a match and was suspended indefinitely, although I gather they've given him a reprieve.

Wasn't the first time though, he's been living it up bigtime & very publically.
    Add the fact that his on field perfs' are nowhere near the level he can play at.
    He's one of the clubs top earners & is not delivering..
    Not surprising then that the President is a bit miffed.
    No reprieve as yet. Latest info shows him absent from tonights teamsheet.

Don't know about your impression but I think that the 5 seconds rule is making the game better to watch. any thoughts ?

I like it, doesn't stop the "pick & go" to wind down the clock but does stop all the farting about by sh's.
    Less time wasting & more vulnerable to turnovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I only caught the end of this but Toulouse absolutely mugged Bordeaux 34-32 away from home after being down 29-10 with an 85th minute penalty try after Bordeaux were down to 13 men. Bordeaux will be kicking themselves as one of their players lost control of the ball on a run in for a try without being tackled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

For anyone with Sky Sports News there's a special report on tomorrow at 7.30 pm called The Rugby Riviera on the English players playing for Toulon.

Toulon sign Danie Roussouw (joins in February).

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8149598,00.html

Toulon sign Danie Roussouw (joins in February).

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8149598,00.html

PSA must be over the moon :rolleyes:

Gunther, Palisson, Orioli and Giteau have all signed extensions at Toulon this week. Pascal Pape at Stade Francais has signed a four year deal, a rarity to have such a long contract, so he'll be 36 when his contract ends.

• Advertisement

Stade Francais close to a big win over Toulouse, 28-24

Big win for Stade, Toulon 7-0 up at home to Bayonne, playing against a gale.

Some Toulon fans are singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot for Jonny! :D

Big win for Stade,

Stade lost 28-24 :cool:

& before someone remarks "they are Stade over here" there are approx 70 million frogs, 4 million paddies, 7 million celts all in & about 45 million anglosaxons.

Frogs have the power, hands down.

59-0. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

59-0. That is all.

Was wondering when you were going to post that little nugget :p

Toulon 37
    Clermont 32
    - Top two directly advance to semi-finals.
    Toulouse 29
    Montpellier 27
    Castres 24
    Grenoble 22
    - 3rd to 6th place enter playoffs for two semi-final spots.
    Biarritz 20
    Racing Métro 20
    Perpignan 20
    Stade F 19
    Bordeaux 15
    Bayonne 15
    - Bottom two are relegated to ProD2.
    Agen 14
    M-de-M 2

http://www.lnr.fr/classement-top-14.html

Bordeaux won at Mont-de-Marsan today meaning the bottom club are 13 points from safety and now need a miracle to stay up. Toulon nilled Bayonne while putting 59 points on the board so Bayonne are still in trouble.

Grenoble who gained promotion to the Top14 this year are the surprise package so far, despite getting nothing at Montpellier today. They look pretty safe from relegation but I can't see them staying in the playoff spots.

Stade Francais earned a vital victory over Toulouse meaning Toulouse are eight points from the top and Paris get away from the relegation zone.

Just a quick heads up, no games in the T14 next weekend.
    They'll all be played on Thursday afternoon which is a holiday in France.

4PP wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up, no games in the T14 next weekend.
    They'll all be played on Thursday afternoon which is a holiday in France.

Ah I was wondering why that was!

Ah I was wondering why that was!

In theory its to allow the national squad preparation time before the Nov tests.
    The T14 will play on the WE of the 10th though, without the internationals.
    The following round will be at the end of the month.

Will Isabelle still be on jour de rugby? :D

• Advertisement

Will Isabelle still be on jour de rugby? :D

Most likely :D mind I prefer watching the main evening news during the holidays with Marie Drucker ;) she's no Sophie Marceau but I'd make do while waiting for Sophie ;-)

Gonzalo Quesada in one lucky lad and he's about 10 years older!

lol :D she's more sexy than Tom MC Gurk all right !

Some seriously bad news for those of us planning an away trip to frogland for the Euro Cups :( even worse for those living there :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/france-plans-steep-beer-tax-rises-3278401.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well that's just silly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah FFS, is there no end to how much Hollande wants to piss me off :( I almost miss Sarkozy at this stage.

Ah FFS, is there no end to how much Hollande wants to piss me off :( I almost miss Sarkozy at this stage.

I miss Carla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

4PP wrote: »
    Some seriously bad news for those of us planning an away trip to frogland for the Euro Cups :( even worse for those living there :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/france-plans-steep-beer-tax-rises-3278401.html

Bit embarrassing. I went to the Racing Metro v Munster game with a few mates a few weeks back. Arrived in Stade de France early to grab a beer and soak up the atmosphere.

Each beer cost €6.50 each and tasted manky. We slowly drank them before the game and during the first half. At half time one of the lads went and got another round of beers (5 in all). We had asked him to ask for Heineken but afterwards we realised he had just ordered the standard stadium beer.

Only afterwards we realised they don't sell alcohol in stadiums in France.

2 rounds costing €65 for manky non-alcoholic beer.

I miss Carla.

You're one of the few, over here she's known as "the village bike" ;) or loosely translated from french as "the only thing she hasn't been under is a train" :D

• Advertisement

Peter B wrote: »
    Bit embarrassing. I went to the Racing Metro v Munster game with a few mates a few weeks back. Arrived in Stade de France early to grab a beer and soak up the atmosphere.

Each beer cost €6.50 each and tasted manky. We slowly drank them before the game and during the first half. At half time one of the lads went and got another round of beers (5 in all). We had asked him to ask for Heineken but afterwards we realised he had just ordered the standard stadium beer.

Only afterwards we realised they don't sell alcohol in stadiums in France.

2 rounds costing €65 for manky non-alcoholic beer.

Em, I think thats just soccer? I've had plenty of beer at various rugby matches. Mind you they don't generally offer a choice. Its whatever they have on tap. French people (southern french that is) are generally bewildered when asked what brand they want (Carlsberg/Heino/1664 etc) , once its cold & wet it'll do. Now wine, thats another story :p

Advertisement