Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

FrannoFan wrote: »
    La rochelle strangling the life out of this game.

Racing lineout is a mess. No hooker

The replacement hooker was carried off a few minutes ago after a collision with Atonio who was blocking a run offside. Was only given as a penalty, La Rochelle were very lucky it wasn’t a yellow.

Ryan with a turnover on the LR 22. Just giving them a lifeline with 6 minutes to go.

As good as over now, minute to go and just can’t find a gap.

All over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

La Rochelle thoroughly deserved their win. To use soccer parlance they operated a high line and were right up in the faces of their opponents. Racing had little space to weave their usual magic. We might see a repeat of the CC final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Toulouse v Bordeaux is on freesports shortly

• Advertisement

That was horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Red Card obviously.

Fecking Premier Sports gone down and they missed a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Why Bordeaux kicked the penalty instead of going to the corner with 4 minutes left I have no idea. Toulouse win by 3. All rather odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

OldRio wrote: »
    Why Bordeaux kicked the penalty instead of going to the corner with 4 minutes left I have no idea. Toulouse win by 3. All rather odd.

Yes, meant they still needed a try to win and another penalty or drop goal would have only got them a draw. Very odd.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Final tonight, odd for it to be a Friday but avoids a Euros clash.

Live Premier Sports 1, free to air on FreeSports, and free-to-stream (but with French commentary) on TV5Monde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

So many errors in this first half from La Rochelle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is not a high quality final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dour game but that DG from Kolbe was as good as it gets.

As if things couldn’t get worse it’s now pissing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Dont know what Rog can bring to the party at Rochelle they are pretty average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Dont know what Rog can bring to the party at Rochelle they are pretty average

He's gotten an average team to the French final and the European final.... that's what he brings.
    He'll have another crack next year and then set his sights on another job I think

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They need to purchase a top level 10 if they want to win Europe and the ballage

sydthebeat wrote: »
    They need to purchase a top level 10 if they want to win Europe and the ballage

Yep was thinking this last night. Never been impressed with West even from his SR days. It’s surprising that ROG has such a flakey 10 in his team, I think he recently signed a new deal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Fair to say that if you had switched the 10s to the opposite team the result would have been different.

Trevor nyakane to Racing on 3 year deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bordeaux beat Toulouse 17-7 this evening. I thought Bordeaux were pretty impressive. They're now top of the table, 3 points ahead of Toulouse, who couldn't even get a bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Bordeaux looking very good. Think Woki might be someone who appears in World XVs before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ben lam is someone NZ should seriously consider repatriating before the next WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

It was in Bordeaux which seems to be a bigger thing for French teams based on every other season. More interesting to see results away for Bordeaux

Melvyn Jaminet off to Toulouse next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pau just beat Toulouse 27-22 despite having two men sent off. The first red was in the 33rd minute and the second in the 54th minute.

It's Toulouse's sixth loss in a row now. They're in a bad slump. Pau were actually 27-3 up before their second red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I see the younger Brennan got into this match. Great to see. I wish he could be enticed back to the motherland. He's 6ft6in and over 18st.

His brother is also playing top 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't watch a massive amount of T14 rugby so I may have missed this: are some rolling subs allowed in the T14?

In Bordeaux Racing Tameifuna was blowing out his arse at half time, and was subbed off. The commentary noted that he was wearing a bib coming back out and said "but we'll probably see him again later"

At 66' The Bordeaux replacement TH is completely fine & uninjured, jogging around the pitch, there's a knock on and a Bordeaux scrum is called. Bordeaux then sub back on Tameifuna and the commentary say "back on as we expected"

So are rolling subs legal in the T14 now? Or is this just blatant cheating by the French which the commentary have now come to expect?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's not officially legal, but tolerated since the 2019-2020 season IIRC. Teams do it all the time, they just have to tick the box marked 'injured' and nobody questions it.

At first the press and other teams complained about it but then it just became accepted and everyone does it.

It's no longer limited to front rowers either, you can replace up to 4 'injured' players with players who have been subbed off for tactical reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Romain Poite to join the Toulon coaching staff next season

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I am a referee, not a co... Oops!

Can anyone explain why Toulouse are ahead of La Rochelle in the top14 at the moment, would have thought La Rochelle would be ahead by dint of better scoring difference.

Yes, that's it alright.

According to Wikipedia, it goes by head to head results first,

1. Competition points earned in head-to-head matches
    2. Points difference in head-to-head matches
    3. Try differential in head-to-head matches

In this case Toulouse have beaten La Rochelle the two times they've played in the Top14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Two fantastic evening games televised this weekend. The first on Saturday night was European champions La Rochelle up against Top14 champions Montpellier. Carbonel starred at outhalf for his new club Montpellier. Missed an almost penalty which might have turned the game and Garces awarded La Rochelle a penalty try in the final minute for them to pull back and win.

The second match was Bordeaux Vs. Toulouse last night and the match up between Ntamack and Jallibert was on show. Ntamack ran in two class tries however the man who starred was Maddox Tambwe who played for the Bulls last year against Leinster in the semi. He scored a brace for Bordeaux but it could have been a hattrick. How South Africa consistently produce these superstars is beyond me. Jallibert completely outplayed by Ntamack.

The refereeing in the two games I watched was much more precise than I have seen in previous Top14 seasons where the ref will play on or award tries after blatant knock-ons and generally fudge calls. It seems a lot more stringent and, as such, there was a proper contests in both games where the lead kept changing hands. I think the French teams will mount a serious challenge in Europe for that reason this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Strange situation. Usually it's "retired on medical advice" or somesuch, not "banned". Does he have HIV or something? Apparently there's a press conference scheduled where more details will be revealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The last time something like this happened was with the Moldovan prop Arhip who I think played with the Ospreys, was really good. He then signed for a French club but due to a neck issue coming up in his medical was refused the right to play in France and then went back to Wales to Cardiff.

I see Joshua Brennan started for Toulouse last night in the no.4 position. He played well and is a big unit. I am sure the IRFU will be having a look.

The first thing that came to my mind was heart defect. Although why he would risk his life to play a game is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They might, but his stronger allegiance may well be to France. Its all he knows.

Sorry to hear about Vakatawa, a big loss to the game.

He has missed a lot of the last 18 months with a recurring knee injury. Think that's most likely the issue.

We find out at midday either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I doubt people would step in and ban him from playing over a knee issue.

It's usually neck or head for medical authorities to step in.

I don't think the Brennans have any interest in playing for Ireland. They've lived in France for most of their lives and have played on French U18s and U20s etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Depends on who is ahead of him in the queue in the Toulouse or French team. Looking at his size he will only play in one position and that is at 4. So 1 or 2 players ahead of him could make a difference.

I see Olivier Roumat's son was at no.8 for Toulouse. Looks like he is a mobile player and can throw an offload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Heart defect! God bless him! A fantastic player Vakatawa. Best of luck for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Jesus Dupont is on fire.

I thought Toulouse v Toulon might have been on TV here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to FreeSports, which was taken off Sky here recently (still available FTA satellite and via the free app). Unfortunately that’s liable to happen to a lot of Premier Sports stuff once the URC comes back, but they are running out the clock now before the Viaplay takeover goes through.

Old habits die hard. Or, as my Cork pals would put it: Once a langer! ...................

Ronan O'Gara cops six-week ban for ‘disrespecting the authority of a match official’

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40966937.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement