Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anybody know if Nyanga is likely to start for France?
    Id say he will start. not sure if he will play at "6". Chouly could play at 6 or 7. Picamoles at 8.
    Its the half backs i cant work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

If I was picking the half backs it'd be Machenaud and Doussain

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/jules-plisson-to-make-his-debut-for-france-1.1673486
    Racing Metro openside Bernard Le Roux will pack down alongside experienced back-row colleagues Yannick Nyanga and Louis Picamoles.
    Plisson, meanwhile, will be partnered at half-back by Toulouse’s Jean-Marc Doussain,

Big call by PSA including Plisson. Could make me revisit my prediction of an England win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matches this weekend:

Bordeaux vs Grenoble

Clermont vs Stade Francais
    Bayonne vs Brive
    Castres vs Oyonnax
    Perpignan vs Racing Metro
    Toulon vs Biarritz
    Toulouse vs Montpellier

The big games of the weekend are Clermont vs Stade Francais and Toulouse vs Montpellier. Toulouse's home form has been very strong but they'll be without their sizeable international contingent (Maestri, Nyanga, Picamoles, Doussain, Fickou, Medard, Huget) so Montpellier could sneak a LBP. Both sides are on 44 points on the table, 8 points behind the leaders Stade Francais.

At the bottom of the table, Bayonne vs Brive is an eight pointer. It's safe to say Biarritz won't get any points this weekend, Toulon are off the pace on the table and need points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Matches this weekend:

Bordeaux vs Grenoble

Clermont vs Stade Francais
    Bayonne vs Brive
    Castres vs Oyonnax
    Perpignan vs Racing Metro
    Toulon vs Biarritz
    Toulouse vs Montpellier

The big games of the weekend are Clermont vs Stade Francais and Toulouse vs Montpellier. Toulouse's home form has been very strong but they'll be without their sizeable international contingent (Maestri, Nyanga, Picamoles, Doussain, Fickou, Medard, Huget) so Montpellier could sneak a LBP. Both sides are on 44 points on the table, 8 points behind the leaders Stade Francais.

At the bottom of the table, Bayonne vs Brive is an eight pointer. It's safe to say Biarritz won't get any points this weekend, Toulon are off the pace on the table and need points.

Clermont home record is seriously at a threat this week end. Could be the end of a long reign in Michelin. Clermont have no 10 and no 15 and many more injury concerns to top the internationals absence.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Clermont home record is seriously at a threat this week end. Could be the end of a long reign in Michelin. Clermont have no 10 and no 15 and many more injury concerns to top the internationals absence.

Stade are missing a few players too though: Slimani, Flanquart, Parisse and Plisson.

I might have a small punt on Stade keeping the score down if you're that confident! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Stade are missing a few players too though: Slimani, Flanquart, Parisse and Plisson.

I might have a small punt on Stade keeping the score down if you're that confident! :D

Well you replace Plisson by Morne Steyn ... problem solved. Parisse will be the biggest loss but I reckon you should definitely put a punt on them this week end.

Wait for tonight when the group is announced for Italy on Sunday.

I have a feeling Bonneval will be playing international rugby this week end but maybe Flanquart will see Vahamahina take his spot. only my take on things though

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Morne Steyn has yet to really perform for Stade since his arrival and Parisse is a huge loss in the back row.

If Stade can come away with a losing bonus point I'd say they would be delighted.

If you haven't heard of him now, you hopefully will by the World Cup if Fiji can get their act together on and off the field. 10 tries in 14 starts for Metu Talebula of Bordeaux, 22 year old winger. Bordeaux gave Grenoble a good hockeying tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If you haven't heard of him now, you hopefully will by the World Cup if Fiji can get their act together on and off the field. 10 tries in 14 starts for Metu Talebula of Bordeaux, 22 year old winger. Bordeaux gave Grenoble a good hockeying tonight.

Looked like a dramatic finish. 4-0 to 4-2 in tries but got the BP right at the end. Definitely suspect Grenoble are no better than most of the other lower mid table clubs but they really seem to have done most of the hard work to get to the playoffs and just need not to mess up at home. Toulon (!) could even miss out by the looks of things. How many points will they beat Biarritz by? 30? 40? 50? Probably as big a mismatch as you'll see in a European league.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just reading that McAlister has signed on for another two seasons with Toulouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

matthew8 wrote: »
    Looked like a dramatic finish. 4-0 to 4-2 in tries but got the BP right at the end. Definitely suspect Grenoble are no better than most of the other lower mid table clubs but they really seem to have done most of the hard work to get to the playoffs and just need not to mess up at home. Toulon (!) could even miss out by the looks of things. How many points will they beat Biarritz by? 30? 40? 50? Probably as big a mismatch as you'll see in a European league.

Top 14 is incredibly tight this year - only 10 points separating first 9 teams. I'd say Toulon will time their run right to get into the play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Buer wrote: »
    conf101 wrote: »
    Anyone care to make a prediction as to who will make the playoffs? Long way to go and a lot of names still in the hat.
    There's so much rugby to be played it's complete guesswork but I'll go with:

Clermont
    Stade
    Castres
    Toulon
    Grenoble
    Toulouse

I think Montpellier's run in is just too hard for them. They still have Toulouse, Clermont, Grenoble and Castres away (sorry, Iroced).

Racing could pip Toulouse to the post but I can see the last day of the season (Racing away to Montpellier and Toulouse home to Grenoble) being the deciding day.

Aha no pb Buer ;). I think with this super tight Top 14 this year our home defeat vs Castres will cost us big time :(...

Here's what I could see happening:
    TOP 14 rankings after 17 GWs

1. Stade Français ...... 52
    2. Clermont .............. 50
    3. Castres ................ 46
    4. Grenoble .............. 45
    5. Montpellier ........... 44
    6. Toulouse .............. 44
    7. Toulon ................. 42
    8. Racing-Métro 92 ... 42

GW 18

Union Bordeaux-Bègles - Grenoble 1
    Clermont 4 - Stade Français 0
    Toulon 5 - Biarritz
    Perpignan - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Castres 4 - Oyonnax
    Toulouse 4 - Montpellier 0

GW 19

Grenoble 4 - Clermont 1
    Toulon 4 - Castres 0
    Montpellier 4 - Perpignan
    Biarritz - Toulouse 4
    Racing-Métro 92 4 - Bayonne
    Brive - Stade Français 1

GW 20

Grenoble 5 - Biarritz
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Bayonne - Toulon 1
    Castres 4 - Toulouse 1
    Clermont 5 - Montpellier 0
    Stade Français 5 - Oyonnax

GW 21

Racing-Métro 92 4 - Castres 0
    Brive - Grenoble 1
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles - Clermont 1
    Toulouse 4 - Perpignan
    Montpellier 4 - Stade Français 1
    Toulon 5 - Oyonnax

GW 22

Castres 4 - Brive
    Grenoble 4 - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Clermont 4 - Toulon 1
    Stade Français 4 - Toulouse 0
    Oyonnax - Montpellier 1

GW 23

Biarritz - Castres 4
    Oyonnax - Grenoble 1
    Brive - Clermont 1
    Stade Français 4 - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Toulon 4 - Toulouse 0
    Montpellier 4 - Bayonne

GW 24

Racing-Métro 92 5 - Biarritz
    Toulouse 4 - Brive
    Clermont 4 - Castres 0
    Bayonne - Stade Français 1
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles - Toulon 1
    Grenoble 4 - Montpellier 1

GW 25

Racing-Métro 92 4 - Clermont 1
    Perpignan - Toulon 4
    Oyonnax - Toulouse 4
    Grenoble 4 - Bayonne
    Castres 4 - Montpellier 1
    Stade Français 4 - Union Bordeaux-Bègles

GW 26

Bayonne - Castres 1
    Toulouse 4 - Grenoble 0
    Clermont 5 - Perpignan
    Montpellier 4 - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Toulon 4 - Stade Français 0

1. Clermont .............. 76
    2. Stade Français ...... 72
    3. Toulon ................. 71
    4. Toulouse .............. 69
    5. Grenoble .............. 69
    6. Castres ................ 67
    7. Racing-Métro 92 ... 64
    8. Montpellier ............ 63

Still pretty tight. So only one unexpected result can change the rankings.
    And it started with Grenoble 0 pointer yesterday.
    Racing late draw and more importantly Montpellier winning in Toulouse can change this rankings completely now!

Montpellier: +4
    Racing: +1
    Grenoble: -1
    Toulouse: -3
    That would leave Toulouse and Racing out of the Top 6! Still a long way to go though.

Toulon down 14-10 half time home to Biarritz. Something is seriously wrong with them lately. Heads will roll if they lose. They might roll anyway if they don't smash Biarritz in the second.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

20-19 now

12 minutes left and Biarritz lead 20-19. Were 20-13 up at one point. If Biarritz somehow win it could really help Leinster by bringing Toulon into disarray and increasing the focus on the league.

That's devastating. Toulon score a last minute try after Wilko missed a 45 metre penalty. 26-20.

Even worse, it was a Yachvilli fumble in his in goal after the miss.

And to put the icing on the cake Toulon score a try which gives them a BP and denies Biarritz one at the same time.

Big result in the making in Toulouse. Montpellier 12-9 up with 8 minutes left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Big result in the making in Toulouse. Bordeaux 12-9 up with 8 minutes left.

Montpellier? 12-12. Big blow to Toulouse if that's the final score.

Montpellier? 12-12. Big blow to Toulouse if that's the final score.

Sorry don't know how I said that. Montpellier win with a last second Paillaugue penalty from 42 metres! Nailed it.

15-12 Montpellier!

Sorry don't know how I said that. Montpellier win with a last second Paillaugue penalty from 42 metres! Nailed it.

That's massive. I now genuinely believe Toulouse are going to miss out on the playoffs for the first time ever. They've a tough run in. Losing at home makes it so much harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Apparently Racing Metro drew with Perpignan away 19-19. I think that's their second away draw in the league, but a useful 2 points for them on the road.

Just having a look, 4 of Toulouse's next 5 games are away from home.

Can we imagine a HEC without Toulouse?! If there is one.....

• Advertisement

Just having a look, 4 of Toulouse's next 5 games are away from home.

Can we imagine a HEC without Toulouse?! If there is one.....

Biarritz away may as well be a home game they're so bad.

Luckily for them, Montpellier visit them next and they can take a big step forward in that game by beating them.
    If it's any consolation, I'll be cheering Montpellier!
    iroced wrote: »
    Aha no pb Buer wink.png. I think with this super tight Top 14 this year our home defeat vs Castres will cost us big time frown.png...

Well. Thank you Buer. Your cheering were worth a lot more than just a consolation since tonight's result made history: first ever victory for Montpellier in Toulouse.

And it was far from a given despite Toulouse depleted team. Our team was decimated:
    • 6 internationals (Mas, Trinh-Duc, Beattie, Hamilton, Nariashvili, Gorgodze),
    • many injuries (Ouedraogo, Pélissié, Olivier, Figallo, Leleimalefaga, Faamausili, Galletier, Gimeno, Selponi, Sicart),
    • some coming back from injury and not at 100% yet (Paillaugue, Bias).
    So had to play an "under-21" halves pair with the 3rd outhalf of the squad!

Now let's face it: it was a crap game. "A l'ancienne". And we played with fire: we should have buried it when we had this try opportunity 5-6 min to the end while Toulouse were 1 man down. In the end Paillaugue saved the day. Thankfully.
    On the bright side, the team despite its youth and inexperience showed great character to stand up to Toulouse in Ernest-Wallon. Most importantly, this result counterbalances the home defeat to Castres and reopens completely our perspectives in this Top14.

Toulon, Toulouse, Racing and Grenoble are all going to be battling it out to get in to the play offs. Who would have thought it at the start of the season? I think Toulon and Toulouse would always have been considered nailed on for the play offs. Really interesting season.

If anyone had any doubt about the unique away game dynamic in France, Oyonnax picked up their first league point away from home at Castres. They have 34 points, 33 of which were earned at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If anyone had any doubt about the unique away game dynamic in France, Oyonnax picked up their first league point away from home at Castres. They have 34 points, 33 of which were earned at home!

and technically even though they are second last, they have only lost one more game then the team in 4th but have a game in hand.

• Advertisement

Toulouse declare war on FFR & LNR collusion => http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Toulouse-declare-la-guerre/440246

Clermont would follow if they were in the same situation.

Apparently the French staff was not very clear and honest about the internationals situation. There was supposed to be some dialogue between the clubs and the French staff and it turned out that the latter told the French clubs presidents: "so we keep your players for the next Top 14 GW to prepare the game in Wales? What you think?".

I don't think it will conitnue like that for long. A huge clash is growing if they don't sit around the table and talk honestly about finding a balanced compromise.

Will we ever reach a stage where French players start moving abroad because there aren't enough regular playing slots in the Top14? I know the likes of Michalak and Chabal have done so but once the Pro12 collapses there's bound to be an influx of Celtic players leaving even more French struggling to get game time.

iroced wrote: »
    Toulouse declare war on FFR & LNR collusion => http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Toulouse-declare-la-guerre/440246

Clermont would follow if they were in the same situation.

Apparently the French staff was not very clear and honest about the internationals situation. There was supposed to be some dialogue between the clubs and the French staff and it turned out that the latter told the French clubs presidents: "so we keep your players for the next Top 14 GW to prepare the game in Wales? What you think?".

I don't think it will conitnue like that for long. A huge clash is growing if they don't sit around the table and talk honestly about finding a balanced compromise.

The "doublons" shouldn't really happen. The easiest solution is to cut a team from the league, as if that will ever take place!

The "doublons" shouldn't really happen. The easiest solution is to cut a team from the league, as if that will ever take place!

I'm an advocate of going back to a two groups phase before the finals.

We could even increase the Top 14 to a Top 20. Implement a seeded ranking based on a number of criteria (recent results, comparative "power" (incl. budget)) so that the 2 groups are fair enough level-wise. That'd give 18 phase groups games (8 less than in the current state). More TV money since 3 more games per GW. With a proportional distribution each club would bemefit from it. A "bonus" could be given to the clubs progressing into the final phases and to the ones performing in HCup. So that Boudjelal would not act like a crybaby about it.
    Then we could even have return 1/4 & 1/2 finals (or playing over one leg in a neutral venue). 23 (or 21) games to get the Brennus. French teams would be fresher for the HCup. French internationals wouldn't be caught between a rock and a hard place like now.
    And, after a few years of experimentation, if 20 appears to be too much we could easily revert to 18 teams with 2 groups of 9. Would save another 2 games!

In my opinion, considering the present geo-sport-political situation of international, european and French rugby, e.g. with the crazy fixtures list our internationals are facing each year, this system would solve most of the French rugby problems.

Grenoble host Clermont on Friday, that should be feisty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Grenoble host Clermont on Friday, that should be feisty!

It's going to be massif.

I'll see myself out.

It looks like Bastereaud is set to play for Toulon despite PSA naming him in the list of 12 players who wouldn't play this weekend.

I pissed myself laughing at Heini Adams try at the end of Bordeaux-Bègles v Grenoble!

Watching the Grenoble Clermont game here. Clermont had a try to go 17-6 up from Benson Stanley disallowed for obstruction. Bad call imo, zero chance the player was going to make the tackle, but the tmo must have been absolutely convinced as a yellow card was given to the Clermont player. A good kicker wouldn't go amiss in this Grenoble side (no James Hart tonight, not even Courrent who is usually the other SH). 25m kick missed a little bit to the left of the posts and also missed touch on a kick despite not even kicking it far down field.

Ratini! The man just takes the absolute p!ss out of these big budget teams. Clermont dominating the second half but only a 13-9 lead to show for it, they drop one ball, a couple of excellent hacks ahead by Grenoble and the main man races ahead to touch down. 16-13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Ratini! The man just takes the absolute p!ss out of these big budget teams. Clermont dominating the second half but only a 13-9 lead to show for it, they drop one ball, a couple of excellent hacks ahead by Grenoble and the main man races ahead to touch down. 16-13.

Crazy finish to the game

Crazy finish to the game

Oh my god, I had money on Grenoble and I suspect the referees had some money on them as well. No way they deserved to win that game but that's the way they do it. Should have been game over in the first half with a Benson Stanley try but that decision kept Grenoble in it. Don't know how that ball wasn't grounded at the end. Fair play to Clermont for going for the try rather than the drop goal, really went after it.

Was at the Leinster match so didn't see Grenoble but that is a huge result for FCG. Grenoble are now fourth but are likely to slip down to 7th or 8th by the end of the weekend.

Was at the Leinster match so didn't see Grenoble but that is a huge result for FCG. Grenoble are now fourth but are likely to slip down to 7th or 8th by the end of the weekend.

Officiating was a disgrace. Same guy that messed up the Toulon-Grenoble game.

Officiating was a disgrace. Same guy that messed up the Toulon-Grenoble game.

So Bad Bernard was right?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Shall I order you some Jack McGrath pyjamas?

Toulon vs Castres on ESPN at 2pm today. A repeat of last year's Top 14 final!

Castres:
    Palis; Evans, Cabannes, Bai, Grosso ; (o) Tales (cap) ; (m) Kockott ;
    Claassen, Bornman, Diarra ; Gray, Samson ; Wihongi, Mach, Forestier.

Remplaçants : Rallier, Taumoepeau, Capo Ortega, Wannenburg, Tomas, Kirkpatrick, Garvey, Peikrishvili.

Toulon:
    D. Armitage ; Mitchell, Mermoz, Giteau, D. Smith ; (o) Wilkinson (cap), (m) Michalak ;
    Bruni, S. Armitage, J. Smith ; Williams, Suta ; Chilachava, Burden, Felsina.

Les remplaçants: Noirot, Chiocci, Rossouw, Gunther, Bastareaud, Wulf, Claassens, Castrogiovanni

It's ironic that Kockott will be playing at Toulon today as there will be an interview broadcast on Canal where Kockott confirms he will be staying at Castres despite signing a pre-contract agreement with Toulon. Castres will have to buy out Kockott out of his Toulon agreement, the figure could be €300,000!

Toulon vs Castres on ESPN at 2pm today. A repeat of last year's Top 14 final!

Castres:
    Palis; Evans, Cabannes, Bai, Grosso ; (o) Tales (cap) ; (m) Kockott ;
    Claassen, Bornman, Diarra ; Gray, Samson ; Wihongi, Mach, Forestier.

Remplaçants : Rallier, Taumoepeau, Capo Ortega, Wannenburg, Tomas, Kirkpatrick, Garvey, Peikrishvili.

Toulon:
    D. Armitage ; Mitchell, Mermoz, Giteau, D. Smith ; (o) Wilkinson (cap), (m) Michalak ;
    Bruni, S. Armitage, J. Smith ; Williams, Suta ; Chilachava, Burden, Felsina.

Les remplaçants: Noirot, Chiocci, Rossouw, Gunther, Bastareaud, Wulf, Claassens, Castrogiovanni

It's ironic that Kockott will be playing at Toulon today as there will be an interview broadcast on Canal where Kockott confirms he will be staying at Castres despite signing a pre-contract agreement with Toulon. Castres will have to buy out Kockott out of his Toulon agreement, the figure could be €300,000!

The Toulon crowd are making their feelings about Kockett very clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Not too exciting in so far as the rugby goes, but in the context this is pretty enjoyable to watch!

• Advertisement

It's a good result for both sides. Castres would have taken the LBP before kick off.

Advertisement