Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Quick question, have got in UPC so I have Setanta Sports, not the paid version, they had a French Rugby game on the other day, do they have a review show of the Top 14 on at any stage? Thanks

Yeah, it's on Monday nights I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

OK, I'd be genuinely intrigued to know which coaches would have valid claims to replace PSA? France definitely need a new coach, but I'd have no clue as to who that should be. Would France consider an international coach? Deans, Mallett, even steal Brunel from Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Swiwi. wrote: »
    OK, I'd be genuinely intrigued to know which coaches would have valid claims to replace PSA? France definitely need a new coach, but I'd have no clue as to who that should be. Would France consider an international coach? Deans, Mallett, even steal Brunel from Italy?

I think Guy Noves would be a possibility. He's been making pointed comments about the French team lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

rrpc wrote: »
    I think Guy Noves would be a possibility. He's been making pointed comments about the French team lately.

Yeah, but he seems to have been ignored on multiple occasions, including when PSA was appointed. Unless he declined the job once, I can't remember.

I reckon France with a decent coach could easily be RWC semi material, but at this rate they risk being knocked out by NZ (without wanting to tempt fate :o) in a 1/4 final revenge at Cardiff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

France needs a coach with a clue and some balls, someone who won't bend to pressure and can see a plan through from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think France would do well to get a SH coach, but I don't think it is in the French psyche to have a non-French coach. I think Guy Noves is a good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Galthie was being talked up a lot a while back.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think France would do well to get a SH coach, but I don't think it is in the French psyche to have a non-French coach. I think Guy Noves is a good call.
    Noves seems to be the only French coach who knows what he's doing. Cotter would have been a good call too, but Scotland got there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Noves seems to be the only French coach who knows what he's doing. Cotter would have been a good call too, but Scotland got there first.

A few years back, Noves was the outstanding candidate without doubt. Unfortunately, Laporte was in place for 8 years.

At this point, Noves would be one of the strongest candidates but that would be as much to do with the lack of a stand out option as opposed to his own suitability. Toulouse have gone backwards over the past year or two. They had a core of outstanding players and are struggling a bit since losing them.

I'd be interested to see how enthusiastic French fans would be to see Noves in the job. Only scoring 16 tries in a pool containing Connacht and Zebre is poor. Their form in the T14 has been much the same. It's going to go down to the wire to see if they make the top 6 and qualify for next season's European tournament.

Something tells me Galthie would be the front runner if the position became open. He seems to fit the profile that has been sought recently in terms of a top player that has retired in the not too distant past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Noves was asked to take the responsabilities by the FFR after the last WC and he declined the offer. He knows too much what are the limitations of the job. You get the players a handful of days a year, tired and more concerned about not getting injured than playing for their country. You get no help whatsoever from the clubs, and you don't really have time to build anything.

Also I think Toulouse haven't played a great fashion of rugby in a while now.

I like Galthie, Landreau and Quesada. They developed a nice brand of rugby and proved they could do so with limited teams. Galthie had Montpellier playing great within weeks after taking over the team. Quesada is showing his print on Stade Francais and is really missed in Racing. Landreau is doing great in Grenoble and his Knowledge of the forward game would be precious.

Toulouse are certainly having a bad season, by their high standards, but I just don't think they have the players now.

Toulouse are certainly having a bad season, by their high standards, but I just don't think they have the players now.
    Exactly. Noves strikes me as a pragmatic coach, he'll get the best out of what he's got rather than lament the lack.

Working with the French team would require a pragmatist with nerves of steel.

Exactly. Noves strikes me as a pragmatic coach, he'll get the best out of what he's got rather than lament the lack.

Working with the French team would require a pragmatist with nerves of steel.

It's funny you say that because in France Noves has a big reputation to be complaining all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

1st v 2nd this weekend. Does anyone see Toulon beating Clermont and actually breaking Clermonts 70+ four season unbeaten home record?

That's not until next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That's not until next week.
    :o Ah. thanks
    When on superbru Biarritz have a game v Oyonnax and the Clermont game Is part of same game week and I didn't think, didn't look at date of game and assumed it was somehow this weekend even though thinking it strange with 6Ns on

Maybe it's the same 'calendar' week because it's the Friday night game so that's probably why it got picked up. That Biarritz match is one that was postponed last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oyonnax won at Biarritz last night 22-24 after a late penalty from Urdapilleta. This means the battle to avoid the second relegation spot is still very tight as Oyonnax are 39, Perpignan are 42 and Bayonne are 43 but Oyonnax have a game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Crikey imagine both Biarritz and Perpignan going down this season :eek:

P_1 wrote: »
    Crikey imagine both Biarritz and Perpignan going down this season :eek:

Axel should put in a call to James Hook!

• Advertisement

So, we have Clermont v Toulon this weekend - tomorrow night. Given that Toulon have Toulouse next weekend and Leinster the following weekend, I'd imagine they won't send their firsts to Clermont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

So, we have Clermont v Toulon this weekend - tomorrow night. Given that Toulon have Toulouse next weekend and Leinster the following weekend, I'd imagine they won't send their firsts to Clermont.

They indeed haven't fielded their strongest side. Freddy at 10 and Palisson starts. Should be a good win for Clermont if on their game.

According to the Rugbynistere Julien Bonnaire wouldn't elude the idea of doing a come back in the national team for the world cup. That would be great news for France if the Clermont versatile Flanker keeps his level. He is still huge for Clermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Clermont: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 13 Aurelien Rougerie, 12 Benson Stanley, 11 Naipolioni Nalaga, 10 Brock James, 9 Morgan Parra, 8 Fritz Lee, 7 Gerhard Vosloo, 6 Julien Bonnaire, 5 Nathan Hines, 4 Jamie Cudmore, 3 Davit Zirakashvili, 2 Ti'i Paulo, 1 Thomas Domingo.
    Replacements: 16 Benoit Cabello, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Julien Pierre, 19 Damien Chouly, 20 Thierry Lacrampe, 21 Mike Delany, 22 Regan King, 23 Daniel Kotze.

Toulon: 15 Delon Armitage, 14 Alexis Palisson, 13 Rudi Wulf, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Josua Tuisova, 10 Frederic Michalak, 9 Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 8 Steffon Armitage, 7 Virgile Bruni, 6 Juan Smith, 5 Ali Williams, 4 Jocelino Suta, 3 Carl Hayman, 2 Craig Burden, 1 Xavier Chiocci.
    Replacements: 16 Benjamin Noirot, 17 Florian Fresia, 18 Danie Rossouw, 19 Pierrick Gunther, 20 Jonny Wilkinson, 21 Theo Belan, 22 Michael Claassens, 23 Levan Chilachava.

Sexton not involved this weekend, Hernandez starts at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Is the Clermont v Toulon match on any tv channel with english commentary?

Which game to watch, Leinster or Clermont, knowing both will win easily?

Which game to watch, Leinster or Clermont, knowing both will win easily?

Clermont definitely has a better chance of being a close game. They're 10 point favourites, Leinster are 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I want to see Clermont get beat if only to see that record gone. I dont care who beats them.

Just for the sake of HCup that if Ulster do return then it just isnt the fortress it once was.

Make sense?

Clermont are missing a lot of names like Toulon.

• Advertisement

6-0 to Clermont so far. Toulon were close to getting a try from a cross kick, their lineout has been a major problem with two clean steals by Clermont.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

6-0 to Clermont so far. Toulon were close to getting a try from a cross kick, their lineout has been a major problem with two clean steals by Clermont.

Is that on tv?

It looked a flat pass to me a minute back, unlucky.

Good try off the turnover for Clermont. Doesn't look like Toulon's night.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Is that on tv?

Not on British or Irish TV, but there's a French stream available.

Toulon have an intercept try ruled out with a forward pass. A couple of minutes later Nalaga runs in a try off a turnover. Clermont 13-0 up now.

Toulon turn down a 5m scrum with Cudmore in the bin for Clermont and go for a lineout. They lose the lineout. *facepalm*

They are giving Clermont a good match though: 13-6 at halftime.

Toulon turn down a 5m scrum with Cudmore in the bin for Clermont and go for a lineout. They lose the lineout. *facepalm*

They didn't seem to know what they were doing. First they scrum it off a 5m penalty, then they get a penalty there, only one minute left and it was further infield so I reckoned they'd kick the penalty, and then they go for touch. Hard to figure out what they're thinking. Toulon should really be ahead going into the break, and dropped another try just there.

The Armitages are having excellent games.

Chiocci scores under the posts: 16-16 with under 20 minutes to go!

• Advertisement

game on!

Fritz Lee in the bin after a clear high tackle.

Clermont look very bad but have a chance to attack here.

Clermont win 22-16, Toulon's awful lineout and some missed opportunities cost them dearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Is that on tv?

It was on setanta. Great game.

10 minutes gone and Stade lead Toulouse 10-5.

• Advertisement

McAlister gone off with a shoulder injury. He didn't look too bad going off.

Plisson in for a try for Stade. Super match so far at Stade de France!

27-8 to Stade Francais at half-time, 3 tries to 1.

From 27-5 to 27-27.

What a brilliant result for Toulouse!

Fascinating day today. Montpellier beating Oyonnax 22-8 away, Toulouse earning an away draw, Bordeaux winning away to Bayonne and Metro currently beating Grenoble. So it looks like Montpellier/Toulouse solidify their playoff credentials, Grenoble seem to be dropping off while Metro and Bordeaux are waiting for any slip ups from a top side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement