Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oyonnax are buggered now with their games in hand catching up on them. All the good work from last week undone by a beating today. Luckily for them Bayonne did the same but Perpignan are suddenly looking better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great result for Racing Metro: 13-26 win at Grenoble. Grenoble are falling away quickly from playoff contention while Racing are back in it.

Table:

Clermont 64
    Toulon 61
    Montpellier 61
    Castres 60
    Stade F 58
    Toulouse 57
    Racing M 56
    Bordeaux 54
    Brive 51
    Grenoble 50
    Perpignan 46
    Bayonne 44
    Oyonnax 39
    Biarritz 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great result for Racing Metro: 13-26 win at Grenoble. Grenoble are falling away quickly from playoff contention while Racing are back in it.

Table:

Clermont 64
    Toulon 61
    Montpellier 61
    Castres 60
    Stade F 58
    Toulouse 57
    Racing M 56
    Bordeaux 54
    Brive 51
    Grenoble 50
    Perpignan 46
    Bayonne 44
    Oyonnax 39
    Biarritz 24

Paris derby next weekend is going to be huge.....and Toulon v Toulouse too. It looks like it's all going to go down to week 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Table:

Clermont 64
    Toulon 61
    Montpellier 61
    Castres 60
    Stade F 58
    Toulouse 57
    Racing M 56
    Bordeaux 54
    Brive 51
    Grenoble 50
    Perpignan 46
    Bayonne 44
    Oyonnax 39
    Biarritz 24

Still an extremely tight championship :eek:!!!

The parisian derby and the Oyonnax-Grenoble games should be v i t a l !!!
    The winner of the first game should finish in the top 6 and the loser of the second will be relegated if it's Oyonnax and could be relegated if it's Grenoble, which would be an absolute shocker considering their first 2/3 of the season.

If my GW 17 predictions go as predicted
    GW 23

Biarritz - Castres 4
    Oyonnax 4 - Grenoble 1
    Brive 4 - Clermont 1
    Stade Français 4 - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Toulon 4 - Toulouse 0
    Montpellier 4 - Bayonne 1
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles 4 - Perpignan 1

GW 19

Oyonnax 4 - Union Bordeaux-Bègles 1

GW 24

Racing-Métro 92 5 - Biarritz
    Toulouse 4 - Brive 0
    Clermont 4 - Castres 0
    Bayonne 4 - Stade Français 1
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles 4 - Toulon 1
    Grenoble 4 - Montpellier 1
    Perpignan 4 - Oyonnax 0

GW 25

Racing-Métro 92 4 - Clermont 1
    Perpignan 1 - Toulon 4
    Oyonnax 1 - Toulouse 4
    Grenoble 4 - Bayonne 0
    Castres 4 - Montpellier 1
    Stade Français 4 - Union Bordeaux-Bègles 1
    Biarritz - Brive 1

GW 26

Bayonne 4 - Castres 1
    Toulouse 4 - Grenoble 0
    Clermont 5 - Perpignan 0
    Montpellier 4 - Racing-Métro 92 1
    Toulon 4 - Stade Français 0
    Union Bordeaux-Bègles 5 - Biarritz
    Brive 4 - Oyonnax 1
    the final rankings will be
    Clermont 75
    Toulon 74
    Montpellier 71
    Toulouse 69
    ....... /
    Bordeaux 69 ......| ... in that order (all games have been played)
    Castres 69 .........\

Stade F 67 ...... depending on GW 23 result
    Racing M 67 .... " ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "
    Brive 60
    Grenoble 59
    Bayonne 53
    Perpignan 52

Oyonnax 49
    Biarritz
    which would be some kind of a shocker for SF !!!

Grenoble must be careful too. If they lose home to Montpellier their game home to Bayonne could send them in Pro D2 !

The Oyonnax-UBB postponed game is becoming more and more important for both teams (but not for the same reasons) after each GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Unbelievable to think that SF may not make the playoffs after how the first half of their season went. The 6N debacle could well have a negative effect on their season also with key guys like Plisson and Pape being affected negatively after getting a lot of criticism.

Buer wrote: »
    Unbelievable to think that SF may not make the playoffs after how the first half of their season went. The 6N debacle could well have a negative effect on their season also with key guys like Plisson and Pape being affected negatively after getting a lot of criticism.

... and after being badly strangely managed (like the whole team) by PSA.

French Under 20 got the Grand Slam so people (including PSA) whining about the Top 14 hosting too many foreigners to the detriment of our young French players may be shortcutting the reality.

Even our women got the Grand Slam!

At some point, after 3 dreadful seasons, maybe we can start questionning PSA ability to manage the French elite.

This year's campaign was not far from last year's one. A fluke home victory vs England. A deceptive one vs Italy. A lesson in Wales. A "shameful" win in Scotland.Our best game was pribably our defeat to Ireland. Though losing at home without ever be in control is not encouraging.
    PSA changed the players. And it didn't really change much in fairness. The method is wrong. The gameplans are wrong. There's no style, no control, no progression, no strong part in the game. If it was not for Huget and Fofana we would have fought with Italy not to get the wooden spoon!

Sorry Neoulous but this French team reminds me of your club: a team in a living dead state :confused:... And the common point for both is the failure of the decision makers (respectively the USAP board and the FFR).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

iroced wrote: »
    ... and after being badly strangely managed (like the whole team) by PSA.

French Under 20 got the Grand Slam so people (including PSA) whining about the Top 14 hosting too many foreigners to the detriment of our young French players may be shortcutting the reality.

Even our women got the Grand Slam!

At some point, after 3 dreadful seasons, maybe we can start questionning PSA ability to manage the French elite.

This year's campaign was not far from last year's one. A fluke home victory vs England. A deceptive one vs Italy. A lesson in Wales. A "shameful" win in Scotland.Our best game was pribably our defeat to Ireland. Though losing at home without ever be in control is not encouraging.
    PSA changed the players. And it didn't really change much in fairness. The method is wrong. The gameplans are wrong. There's no style, no control, no progression, no strong part in the game. If it was not for Huget and Fofana we would have fought with Italy not to get the wooden spoon!

Sorry Neoulous but this French team reminds me of your club: a team in a living dead state :confused:... And the common point for both is the failure of the decision makers (respectively the USAP board and the FFR).

I have to agree on this to a certain level. Lagisquet and Bru should be included in the problem. I can't understand why PSA asked the back coach of Biarritz, a team famous for its negativity in the game, and think that would make us world beaters. I'd say the national side failure is a combination of poor technical and tactical coaching/ selection job and also political inability to provide the team with the right collaboration with the clubs.

The most worrying in my POV is the obvious bad preparation on the technical perspective. Set pieces were awful and we were penalized way too much.

Where I agree with you is that there is a tradition in France of not taking decisions when things obviously need to be changed. PSA would have been dismissed in many federations after 3 such bad seasons when you know the potential we can field on the park.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    I'd say the national side failure is a combination of poor technical and tactical coaching/ selection job and also political inability to provide the team with the right collaboration with the clubs.

Pretty much spot on.
    The most worrying in my POV is the obvious bad preparation on the technical perspective. Set pieces were awful and we were penalized way too much.

Yes. You're again spot on here.
    If we compare with the Lièvremont era, he tried to play some kind of an anti-Laporte rugby, all attacking, for 2 years. Despite some noteworthy performances (I remember a defeat in Croke Park where we played great rugby) he could not bring his dream to reality. So he adapted and we won the Grand Slam in 2010 with a much more restrictive rugby (à l'anglaise we would say to tease our best enemies :p - we actually got it by beating England in Paris in a game à l'ancienne -).
    That's where PSA is essentially failing. He seems to be constantly trying. At some point he needs to decide and go for his idea or adapt it to the situation and to the players he has. The WC is next year and we've never been that much "dans la mouise" (excuse my french :P).

Where I agree with you is that there is a tradition in France of not taking decisions when things obviously need to be changed. PSA would have been dismissed in many federations after 3 such bad seasons when you know the potential we can field on the park.

Yeah, the problem though is it's too late now. If we changed the coach now he'd just have a year to prepare for the WC.
    And yeah the mess between FFR & LNR is not helping. There was a start at the beginning of this season with the "30 games for 30 players" but the conditions seem weird (e.g. players need to play at least 20 min for the game to be counted) and noone is really happy with it.

Buer wrote: »

The loser of the Paris derby this weekend will probably miss out.

• Advertisement

The loser of the Paris derby this weekend will probably miss out.

I think you're right. The Eurosport web site claims that the match is in Angers, where there is a Stade Jean Bouin, but I presume they are playing in the one in Paris, near Parc des Princes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Yeah, the problem though is it's too late now. If we changed the coach now he'd just have a year to prepare for the WC.
    And yeah the mess between FFR & LNR is not helping. There was a start at the beginning of this season with the "30 games for 30 players" but the conditions seem weird (e.g. players need to play at least 20 min for the game to be counted) and noone is really happy with it.

Well, when you see the last world cup you can honestly say that preparing the world cup for a couple of years is a waste of time ....
    Too many things come into play : Injuries, Referees, weather, form of the moment, etc ...

We know too well that WC preparation is a 6 months job and we scramble everything in the middle of it.

So IMO it's not too late to change the coach

Well, when you see the last world cup you can honestly say that preparing the world cup for a couple of years is a waste of time ....
    Too many things come into play : Injuries, Referees, weather, form of the moment, etc ...

We know too well that WC preparation is a 6 months job and we scramble everything in the middle of it.

So IMO it's not too late to change the coach

Admittedly. But we have to change now then !

It's true that, in the end, preparing the WC is a 6 months / 1 year job (elaborate the gameplan, develop a couple of (adaptive) strategies, work on the set pieces and organise the physical preparation) but in general you don't start this preparation from scratch.

Anyway we can dream. As you said, the FFR will not change anything before the WC. PSA's cycle is a 4 years cycle at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

interesting to hear that the young South Africa and Cheetahs out-half was reportedly in Paris yesterday talking to Racing Metro.

Does this mean that there are still plans afoot to bring Sexton back to Ireland next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

interesting to hear that the young South Africa and Cheetahs out-half was reportedly in Paris yesterday talking to Racing Metro.

Does this mean that there are still plans afoot to bring Sexton back to Ireland next season?

Apologies - I forgot to mention his name. It is Johan Goosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

For those of us without BT Sport, the Stade v Racing match is live on TV5 this Saturday.

For those of us without BT Sport, the Stade v Racing match is live on TV5 this Saturday.

Sexton has been named in the extended squad. There's only Hernandez as an alternative 10 so he will play some part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I see Jonny going to Toulan before coming back to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Metro might just take the Paris derby. Stade not exactly full strength, and Metro have named a very strong team. Absolute must win for Stade, if they lose the wheels have officially come off on a team that was looking like on of the best in the league. Metro can really put themselves into the playoff reckoning with a win.

These team sheets are the best thing about french rugby:
    140328_SFP-RM92_n.jpg
    CompoJ23SFPExt.jpg

• Advertisement

Agree matthew, great chance for Racing to win that!

I fancy Racing for this one. Thanks for the lovely team sheets, matthew - where do you get them?

vienne86 wrote: »
    I fancy Racing for this one. Thanks for the lovely team sheets, matthew - where do you get them?

Pretty much all French clubs supply them on their websites. 1 or 2 don't unfortunately. It's caught on in Glasgow too.

Brive with a 10-0 lead against Clermont early on. There's something about Brive that they always raise their game for the prime time games against strong teams. Beat a strong Toulon 23-10 earlier this year.

What a try by Brive! Steal the ball from a Clermont maul 15 metres from their own line (Clermont having turned down an easy 3), offload to the winger who gets past so many (pace on the guy, nearly took Nalaga on the outside) and manages to recycle very well and they're quickly across the field and in the corner! Brive didn't get the memo that the Top 14 is a boring league. 20-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Woah ****! What a try for Brive vs Clermont.
    Will post it here if it gets uploaded to youtube after the match.

Super try off a counterattack from Brive puts them 20-3 ahead at halftime!

• Advertisement

Just switched over to the Brive-Clermont match - wonderful steal at the Clermont line out inside Brive 22 - run the length of the field, TRY. Converted. Half time Brive 20 Clermont 3. I'm going to watch more of this match! Brive play nice rugby.

Brive and Bordeaux play some fantastic stuff. Not all the teams in France play like some of the rubbish that Racing has served up.

Should be a close finish. Brive down to 13 players for the next 8 minutes or so.

Clermont with an attacking 5 metre line-out. 32 minutes left. Score still 20 - 3.

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Should be a close finish. Brive down to 13 players for the next 8 minutes or so.

Clermont with an attacking 5 metre line-out. 32 minutes left. Score still 20 - 3.

Oh my god I can't believe they got that penalty! I was just hoping Clermont would score the try before it was 3 yellows.

Uncontested scrums, so Clermont take lineouts. And Brive survive - miracle.

• Advertisement

Pretty horrible injury for a Brive player by the looks of things. Players all ran up shouting to the ref as they defended their own line. The guy was shaking on the ground.

Yeah, I didn't see what happened but it looks bad.

This has been an awfully long second half with all the stoppages.

Clermont have been quite quite bad.

Brive have had a lot of injuries tonight - could feck up their season.

Awful stuff from Clermont - they should have romped home already. Lots of silly errors.

Yeah, I didn't see what happened but it looks bad.

This has been an awfully long second half with all the stoppages.

Clermont have been quite quite bad.

First half was really long too. I've never seen so many stoppages.

And Clermont are in. 23-17. Squeaky bum time for Brive. 6 minutes to shut up shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Finish!

2 points the difference with 1 minute remaining ^^

Will be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

2 points the difference with 1 minute remaining ^^

Will be interesting

uncontested - boo:(

Brive hold on to win 26-24. That was ridiculous from Clermont - very poor, careless stuff. Fair play to Brive. But their squad is in bad shape with so many injuries.

Imagine how you would feel if you backed Brive -2.5. From my point of view they bottled that big time. And I couldn't believe Clermont didn't just take the points at 26-17 with 2 minutes left.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Imagine how you would feel if you backed Brive -2.5. From my point of view they bottled that big time. And I couldn't believe Clermont didn't just take the points at 26-17 with 2 minutes left.

Yep - that was a really stupid decision - and you're right - they bottled it.

• Advertisement

Brive and Bordeaux play some fantastic stuff. Not all the teams in France play like some of the rubbish that Racing has served up.

True. But not that much of a surprise. Look at their coaches. Do you remember Castres for its enthusiastic rugby?
    matthew8 wrote: »

But they did get a try in the end.
    Brive hold on to win 26-24. That was ridiculous from Clermont - very poor, careless stuff. Fair play to Brive. But their squad is in bad shape with so many injuries.

Brive celebrated the validation of its Top 14 position for next year with their victory tonight though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I see Gio Aplon has signed for Grenoble. Good signing that.

And no!: terrible injury in the Reds v Stormers game there. That will need surgery, and 6 to 12 months off IMO...

True. But not that much of a surprise. Look at their coaches. Do you remember Castres for its enthusiastic rugby?

But they did get a try in the end.

Brive celebrated the validation of its Top 14 position for next year with their victory tonight though...

Delighted for Brive...they have a long tradition of rugby there and it's good to see them back in Top 14.....and I'm rooting for Bordeaux too...they play lovely rugby and of course, I long for the day when Leinster might play them in a European competition!

Here's that Brive try from last night, in glorious stuttering low definition.

Here's that Brive try from last night, in glorious stuttering low definition.

Looks even better on second showing!

Oh Morne.

Great intercept for Racing: 0-7. :D

Brilliant decision by a Racing defender saves a try!

Great intercept for Racing: 0-7. :D

Inches away from another there.

• Advertisement

Roberts almost picks off another!

Advertisement