Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great player - I often wished he was with some club other than Biarritz. I didn't realise he was only 33 - I hope his body is in good order and that he has a great retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Probably the best scrumhalf and goal kicker in Europe at times. Was it in 2010 against Munster that they couldn't concede a penalty anywhere from halfway that wouldn't be slotted?

He's still only 33. If Biarritz weren't almost certainly going down, I'm sure he'd hang on another year. I'm surprised he didn't sign for a team like Brive for a final contract.

He's been basically carrying the team on his own for two years and it reads very much like there's been a falling out between himself and Blanco. He's not motivated to play on anymore.

CompoJ24BODom.jpg

Sexton starts for Racing against Biarritz. A BP win has to be the aim for Racing, although this team aren't famed for scoring lots of tries.

Yet another matchday squad that Tonga'uiha doesn't make. He's on €350k plus apparently!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's almost as much as Wayne Rooney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oyonnax won 26-12 at home to Bordeaux Begles tonight in a rescheduled Top14 fixture. This means that Oyonnax are now four points from the drop on 48 points with Perpignan on 46 and Bayonne on 44.

We're staying up baby! :cool:

Castres lead at Clermont 6-8 at half-time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Castres lead at Clermont 6-8 at half-time!

Yes but they lose 23-11 at FT. 4 pts for Clermont. 0 for Castres. Good :cool:.

Chaban-Delmas is sold out for Bordeaux-Toulon, on right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Chaban-Delmas is sold out for Bordeaux-Toulon, on right now!

Incredible how popular rugby has become in Bordeaux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Try already for Bordeaux

What a nervy start for Toulon! Bordeaux already with a try!

Bordeaux in already, Avei scores after Mitchell messes up a garryowen catch.

Bordeaux nearly in again there but Toulon's scrum bails them out. At this rate Toulon will be doing well to avoid another 41-0.

Bordeaux could have 4 tries already. Absolutely all over them, making ground with ease. Just on occasion lacking composure at the try line.

Bordeaux are fantastic to watch, I hope they get into the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Habana Yellow for killing the ball and stopped a try.

Bordeaux magic play.

It's absolute domination. Everywhere except in the scrum and kicking out of hand. Amazing it's only 10-0.

Great kick by Michalak: 10-3

Must have been 60 metres. Never thought he had any range at all, never mind 60. Toulon have been much better since Habana's yellow.

What a try!

Class break and score.

• Advertisement

Brilliant try Bordeaux!

What a try for Bordeaux! What a great play by Connor, Bernard and Le Bourhis to finish it.

I love watching Bordeaux - lovely running rugby. They well deserve their lead. Really hope thy make the playoffs and are in the top European competition (whatever it's called!) next season.....and that they are in Leinster's pool!

Habana is looking lively anytime he gets on the ball, not bad for someone who hasn't played since December.

20-9 with 30 minutes to go

Why go for the drop there? If they want the drop goal at the very least they should use it as a surprise rather than waiting 10 seconds to makes sure the entire Toulon team knew it was coming.

Habana try! Great play by Juan Smith.

That's a tough one for Bordeaux - looked forward to me......and the commentators.

20-19 with 14 minutes to go. Giteau on for Michalak.

Super break by Mitchell but his offload is intercepted.

Toulon all over Bordeaux now. They might rue all those missed chances in the first half.

• Advertisement

Toulon in front now - different team in the second half. Hope Bordeaux get someting out of this though.

Giteau makes it 20-22

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Big result for Toulouse and Racing if Toulon pull it off.

Talk about a game of two halves. Bordeaux terrible in the second half.

Shades of the first half between Toulon and Leinster in the first half today. Toulon's last gasp scramble defence saved them at least twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have to be impressed by them changing 10 starters and winning away. On a plus side for Munster fans, no Williams or Botha still suggests that they'll be hard pressed to start the semi now with only one game in between.

Why go for a DG there? Just hold onto the ball for another minute!

Buer wrote: »
    Have to be impressed by them changing 10 starters and winning away. On a plus side for Munster fans, no Williams or Botha still suggests that they'll be hard pressed to start the semi now with only one game in between.

If Wilkinson isn't back then they have a big call at 10. Giteau is their best 10 IMO but he's also their best 12.

That was a very fortunate win but you really have to wonder how Bordeaux managed to lose that. They seemed determined to create nothing in the second half and the one chance they did get they decided to waste it was a drop goal 10 metres out.

• Advertisement

What a try for Montpellier! Make sure to watch it when the highlights go up.

Absolute champagne rugby from Nagusa. Scores a try from absolutely nowhere. 25-6 to Montpellier away to Grenoble who are falling apart. Terrible defense.

Grenoble's last two games are Bayonne at home and Toulouse away. If they lose both (they'll lose at Toulouse anyway) then they could be in real trouble! Last year their end of the season was awful as well, it's just happening a bit later this year I think.

Hart kicking very well. 2 sideline kicks and one from 50 metres. 27-16 now.

Last second losing bonus for Grenoble, and Oyonnax denied a BP while Bayonne pick up 4 points home to Stade. Leaving the relegation battle:
    Grenoble 51
    Perpignan 50
    Bayonne 48
    Oyonnax 48

Grenoble looked lively in the second half and I fancy them to beat Bayonne. Can't see Perp winning either home to Toulon or in Clermont. Next week is massive, Grenoble-Bayonne, Perpignan-Toulon and Oyonnax-Toulouse. I fancy Oyonnax to go down but it could go any of 4 ways. Absolutely wide open.

Toulon are on a roll at the moment, they'll beat USAP next week.

Toulouse have been awful away from home, Oyonnax have every chance of winning that.

• Advertisement

Toulon are on a roll at the moment, they'll beat USAP next week.

Toulouse have been awful away from home, Oyonnax have every chance of winning that.

At this time of the season the cream is rising to the top, and the top teams are doing better away from home (perhaps down to the better pitches at this time of year), I think Toulouse will be favourites at Oyonnax, and they'll be well rested too. They're chancing their arm with a weakened XV home to Brive, as Brive are missing a few players too.

Montpellier 70
    Toulon 69
    Clermont 69
    Racing M 65
    Toulouse 62
    Castres 62
    Bordeaux 59
    Stade F 59
    Brive 56
    Grenoble 51
    Perpignan 50
    Bayonne 48
    Oyonnax 48
    Biarritz 26

Round 25:

Castres vs Montpellier
    Oyonnax vs Toulouse
    Perpignan vs Toulon
    Biarritz vs Brive
    Grenoble vs Bayonne
    Racing M vs Clermont
    Stade F vs Bordeaux

Round 26:

Brive vs Oyonnax
    Bayonne vs Castres
    Bordeaux vs Biarritz
    Clermont vs Perpignan
    Montpellier vs Racing M
    Toulon vs Stade F
    Toulouse vs Grenoble

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

Just back from Aimé Giral where iroced and I enjoyed... the sun and a summery evening :D :rolleyes:. Yeah, that was a pretty poor game but 4 crucial points for us to Oyonnax 0 is about what is to be remembered.

We built our lead from a good start (though Oyonnax seemed a bit asleep) and were quickly 13-0 up. Then, we kind of stopped playing and let Oyonnax back in the game. We should have been 2 tries and ~15 pts up at HT instead of 13-6. But we're quite terrible to be honest. No scrum, no gameplan, this is worrying... Though we do have a lot of key players injured (e.g. Lopez, Guitoune). Marty made the whole stadium real nervous by getting a more than stupid YC 20 min to the end letting Oyonnax reducing the gap to 4 pts. Somehow that woke us up and we managed to increase our lead to 10 pts. Phew...

Montpellier beating Grenoble is good for us. Unfortunately SF could not do the same in Bayonne.

The other bad new is we lost 22(1T)-9 in Oyonnax so tonight's 22(1T)-12 is not enough to put us in front of them shall we be level on points by GW38.
    I don't know if the staff and the players were/are aware of this but they didn't seem to try make our lead bigger. I can understand they focused first on winning and giving nothing to USO but in the last 5 min we had the opportunity to score and we blew it... Hopefully it won't come to bite us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Ha. Come on Neoulous. USAP-Oyonnax is a historical game. Could be your last at home in Top 14 :P :D. More seriously, last home game to your man of the match, Guillem Guirado. Great inspiration on your try. Bar that and Hook's 100% and moments of brilliance, nothing much to see really. But a win is a win. Now you have to get something against Toulon. Hopefully they'll be focused on their HC semi.

Actually you owe us! Again Montpellier did everything to help you! We thrashed Bayonne 2 weeks ago. Now we pu Grenoble into teh deep crisis! We're always here for you. If you could repay us by beating Toulon that'd be up to ourself to beat Racing at home for securing a top 2 finish!

---

For the ones who saw the Montpellier game how did it go? Did we take it easy at the end? This Grenoble late try makes the result very close but from what I read it looked like we were pretty much controlling the whole game after a great first half.

We're on a great dynamic anyway. That's good. Castres away and Racing home to finsih thoug. So it's good that we made a little gap from the 5th spot.We're very close to at least a home QF but now I'm hoping for more. The semi-finals are just here to grab!

---
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Incredible how popular rugby has become in Bordeaux.
    Bègles (Bordeaux suburb) and Bordeaux were always rugby places anyway. But these last couple of years they're "recuperating" disappointed soccer fans. Les Girondins de Bordeaux (one of the historical soccer place in France too) have become one of the most boring soccer team these last years. They are not interested in playing the Europa League when they qualify for it. They offer terrible displays to their fans. Let's be crudely honest: they play like sh*t. So easy to understand why this enthusiastic UBB side is getting more and more support ;).

iroced wrote: »
    For the ones who saw the Montpellier game how did it go? Did we take it easy at the end? This Grenoble late try makes the result very close but from what I read it looked like we were pretty much controlling the whole game after a great first half.

We're on a great dynamic anyway. That's good. Castres away and Racing home to finsih thoug. So it's good that we made a little gap from the 5th spot.We're very close to at least a home QF but now I'm hoping for more. The semi-finals are just here to grab!

I saw the whole game on an awful stream. Tulou did very well collecting 2 tries. Montpellier's first try was amazing and Nagusa's was incredible individual brilliance. Make sure to watch the highlights. Trinh-Duc, for a guy who doesn't take many kicks at goal, did very well in that department. The first half was great, very clinical. However the second half they seemed to ease off a bit and Grenoble made several linebreaks but squandered most of their chances, including a penalty kick to the corner which went dead. In all, it was a great away display which sets you up nicely for a semi-final. For me Montpellier are now joint favourites along with Toulon, and might even have the edge due to Toulon's European commitments. That said, Toulon can rest half their team with virtually no drop off in quality so the double might happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement