Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

But the loophole would only apply if he'd played 7s for England; Armitage has full caps so he's stuck there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

But the loophole would only apply if he'd played 7s for England; Armitage has full caps so he's stuck there.

It doesn't say that. It says capped teams for a nation which would include 15s

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It doesn't say that. It says capped teams for a nation which would include 15s

What I took from this is that, if you had previously played 7s for country A, you can now play 7s for country B,and then you would no longer be barred from playing 15s for country B just because you played 7s for country A.

e.g. Paul Warwick couldn't qualify for Ireland because he played 7s for Australia. This rule would mean he could (if was still playing and has an Irish passport) declare for Ireland 7s, play for them and then he would be able to play 15s for Ireland.

There is nothing in there that says full 15s caps can just be expunged as would be needed in Armitage's case, and it's not very likely that the IRB would allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What I took from this is that, if you had previously played 7s for country A, you can now play 7s for country B,and then you would no longer be barred from playing 15s for country B just because you played 7s for country A.

e.g. Paul Warwick couldn't qualify for Ireland because he played 7s for Australia. This rule would mean he could (if was still playing and has an Irish passport) declare for Ireland 7s, play for them and then he would be able to play 15s for Ireland.

There is nothing in there that says full 15s caps can just be expunged as would be needed in Armitage's case, and it's not very likely that the IRB would allow it.

I don't know. Obviously we're both just interpreting what was said. He says "capped" teams in a nation, so the plural would lead me to believe it's more than just the sevens side. I might be wrong though and to be honest I'd prefer if I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

I didn't realise that Harinordoquy had joined Toulouse....

BrdWINhCUAAklbl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, and those AM90s are sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

looks like Flood skipped leg day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulouse have Dusautoir, Nyanga and Picamoles in the France 30 man squad for next season. All three will be limited to 30 appearances in all competitions (club or country) so they needed cover and experienced cover at that. Harinordoquy fits the bill really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Toulouse have Dusautoir, Nyanga and Picamoles in the France 30 man squad for next season. All three will be limited to 30 appearances in all competitions (club or country) so they needed cover and experienced cover at that. Harinordoquy fits the bill really.

Think he's knees aren't great tho. Fully fit hes better than any of those 2 of those 3. Be interesting to see him in a top team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nike have gone from Toulouse?

Are they doing any rugby union team now?

Cue a load of Nike player issue stuff on Lovell. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Morf wrote: »
    Nike have gone from Toulouse?

Are they doing any rugby union team now?

Cue a load of Nike player issue stuff on Lovell. :)

Sarries I think. Nike have lost quite a few high profile contracts in the past few years.

It's not crazy to suggest that Racing could go 0-4 in the first four matches, they are all very difficult. Going to Bordeaux will be interesting, they will have possibly the most potent back three in the league in Guitoune-Domvo-Talebula.

If anyone wants a team to follow next year, follow Bordeaux! They play some awesome rugby and Talebula is a try machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

It's not crazy to suggest that Racing could go 0-4 in the first four matches, they are all very difficult. Going to Bordeaux will be interesting, they will have possibly the most potent back three in the league in Guitoune-Domvo-Talebula.

If anyone wants a team to follow next year, follow Bordeaux! They play some awesome rugby and Talebula is a try machine.

I was there in April. Great city to visit and after speaking to a few publicans there's a huge demand for a big rugby team in the city. They've had crowds of over 30,000 last season and they'll be looking to build on that this year.

Another team on the up are Lyon. By all accounts the French rugby union were delighted they got promoted as its a big city with lots of potential and a big backing behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I agree with you here. Love watching them on tv. And one of my favourite cities. I'm a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Denis Coulson to join the Irish contingent in Grenoble. Ireland U20s loosehead, LSSC winner in 2012.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/denis-coulson-ireland-grenoble-1562328-Jul2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

Rupeni Caucaunibuca is in line to rejoin Agen subject to a medical.

Big "if" there...

Also, Iain Balshaw has retired, meaning none of the 2003 RWC squad remain active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Of the Australian 2003 RWC squad it is interesting to see that David Lyons is still going at Stade Francais for another season - a great warrior.

What a few months for Alexandre Menini. Plucked out of Biarritz by Toulon in the middle of last season to compensate for Andrew Sheridan's injury, wins two titles with the club, gets capped for France in Australia and now has signed a three year extension with Toulon.

They will know by September if Sheridan can come back or not. He had a superb first season in 2012/13 when he kept Gethin Jenkins out of the team but he didn't get going in 2013/14 due to recurring shoulder problems. In any case they have Barcella, Menini and Chiocci on the books as loosehead props.

Brive are going to open an academy in Fiji
    http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=274548

Hmmm....

Brive are going to open an academy in Fiji
    http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=274548

Hmmm....

All about the JIFFs FL. Plus the Pacific Islanders, like the Georgians and the South Africans, are Kolpak passport holders.

I think it will be great for those second tier nations tbh who lack finance. While some of the players that go to France may decide to play for France through residency (Nakatiaci and Vakatawa being examples), others will still play for Fiji and get the top level gametime, training and physical conditioning by being in France.

It does say a lot about France's lack of indigenous talent when the French clubs have to invest in training centres halfway across the globe in order to recruit enough quality while satisfying the JIFF quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

This is a dangerous route Rugby is going down. Why can't Brive invest that time and money into the local Brive community they are supposed to represent?

Winters wrote: »
    This is a dangerous route Rugby is going down. Why can't Brive invest that time and money into the local Brive community they are supposed to represent?

Maybe they are but the talent just isn't there? I agree though that it is a dangerous route but at least Tier 2 nations will benefit (in my opinion!).

• Advertisement

While I'm suspicious of this move too, Brive is a small town in a sparsely populated region, they can't rely solely on local talent if they want to remain competitive.

While I'm suspicious of this move too, Brive is a small town in a sparsely populated region, they can't rely solely on local talent if they want to remain competitive.

Brive have done really well to get back to a solid Top14 base. They had lost a lot of talent to bigger clubs in recent years, names like Vosloo, Estebanez, Antoine Claassen, Palisson. They will have a fight to stay up this season as the likes of Bordeaux and Grenoble have made some good signings while Lyon have been splashing the cash on the likes of George Smith.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's an Ah Him now. How long before Ah Heeyor rocks up in the Top 14?

Of the Australian 2003 RWC squad it is interesting to see that David Lyons is still going at Stade Francais for another season - a great warrior.

Just thinking about this:

Ireland have 3 survivors from their 2003 squad soldiering on (POC, DOC and Stringer) but trumping them all is Gordon D'Arcy who appeared in the 1999 World Cup. I wonder is there anyone else still playing who can match that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Just thinking about this:

Ireland have 3 survivors from their 2003 squad soldiering on (POC, DOC and Stringer) but trumping them all is Gordon D'Arcy who appeared in the 1999 World Cup. I wonder is there anyone else still playing who can match that?

And Darce could still be looking at two more seasons. Say he retires the season after next (a few months after turning 36, it's doable), that will be 17 years of pro rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Actually the comparisons between Connacht and Limousin (Brice region) are very valid.

Connacht: Area 17,788km2, Population 542,547km2
    Limousin: Area 16,942km2, Population 742,771km2

Is it just cheaper, quicker and easier to set up a foreign "academy" than develop local players in the clubs and schools of Limousin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Looks like Hernandez is on his way from Racing back to Stade Francais.

Actually the comparisons between Connacht and Limousin (Brice region) are very valid.

Connacht: Area 17,788km2, Population 542,547km2
    Limousin: Area 16,942km2, Population 742,771km2

Is it just cheaper, quicker and easier to set up a foreign "academy" than develop local players in the clubs and schools of Limousin?

It's worth bearing in mind that Brive do have their own local academy too, but this is just a reality of pro rugby. Brive don't have the resources to compete for big signings with the likes of Racing and Toulon so they need to look at alternatives, particularly with the JIFF rules.

The comparison with Connacht is valid; they wouldn't have a prayer of being competitive based solely on home-grown talent either.

The optimistic take on it is that a few lads in Fiji will get a better shot at making it in the game and if they don't, they'll have had the chance to learn some French and maybe get to study abroad for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

nc6000 wrote: »
    Looks like Hernandez is on his way from Racing back to Stade Francais.

Source: EPCR Champions Cup
    Legendary Argentina playmaker Juan Martin Hernández will not feature in the new European season having left Racing-Métro 92.

El Mago will instead dedicate all his effort to the Argentine national side, the player confirmed on Thursday.
    Having spent ten years in the French top flight, Hernández will play club rugby in Argentina after the upcoming Rugby Championship.
    The 32-year-old former Sharks fly-half also hopes to return to Super Rugby in 2016 when Argentina will have a team in the southern hemisphere competition.

The full-back/fly-half had a contract with Racing until June 2015 but, having spent a fortnight in Pensacola, Florida, preparing for the Rugby Championship with los Pumas, he returned to Paris to settle the situation with the French club.
    Hernández spent six years at Stade Français, winning the French championship in 2004 and 2007, before moving to Parisian rivals Racing-Métro.

His time at Racing was hampered by a series of back injuries that prevented him from reaching the heights of his brilliant performances at the 2007 World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I cant link it here but Planet Rugby are reporting that Kayser, Pierre and Rougerie were attacked on a night out in Millau with swords and machetes!!!! Pierre needs surgery for deep cuts!

Horrific if true, worlds gone friggin mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I cant link it here but Planet Rugby are reporting that Kayser, Pierre and Rougerie were attacked on a night out in Millau with swords and machetes!!!! Pierre needs surgery for deep cuts!

Horrific if true, worlds gone friggin mad.

Seems true, have seen a few tweets on it.

Here's one
    Dave Phillips (@ lovefutebol) tweeted at 3:23 PM on Sun, Jul 20, 2014:
    3 Clermont/#FRA international rugby players (Kayser, Pierre & Rougerie) attacked with a machete and sword yesterday. https://t.co/ICuwAgnaub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Who in their right minds would set upon 3 people with Machetes? What a bizarre story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Crazy stuff - attackers must be lunatics. Hope the guys are going to be OK.

MO saying the players came to the defence of a woman who was being pushed around by someone. That someone returned later with his gang.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MO saying the players came to the defence of a woman who was being pushed around by someone. That someone returned later with his gang.

RR saying it was a woman who attacked a man and one of them stepped in.

Rupeni Caucau, now 34, is back at Agen!

Rupeni Caucau, now 34, is back at Agen!

popcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

RR saying it was a woman who attacked a man and one of them stepped in.

Considering the number and weapons involved, you'd wonder how their injuries weren't more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm resisting the temptation to put D'Artagnan up against Rougerie in the lookylikeys thread on the basis that its too soon.

34-year-old George Smith makes his first start for new club Lyon in their friendly vs. Oyonnax later. Picked at No 8

Tonga'uiha and Wannenburg starting too for Oyonnax. Two flops at their respective previous clubs.

Lyon are going to be fascinating to follow, they have made 15 or so signings with a good mix of young players with potential (Gunther, Martin, De Marco) and proven Top14 level players (Smith, Porical, Matadigo, Estebanez). I can't see them getting relegated with that kind of quality. Brive have probably been the weakest of the clubs in terms of recruitment but they play good rugby so I'll be rooting for them to stay up.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    34-year-old George Smith makes his first start for new club Lyon in their friendly vs. Oyonnax later. Picked at No 8

Did you just copy and paste Murray Kinsella's tweet? ;)

Big news from France: The TV deal between Canal+ and the Top14 has been scraped by the competition commission in France. The TV rights have to go out to tender again for the 2015/16 season onwards. So it looks like Canal+ will broadcast for this season anyway.

• Advertisement

Big news from France: The TV deal between Canal+ and the Top14 has been scraped by the competition commission in France. The TV rights have to go out to tender again.

Very interesting situation. I'd have thought the LNR would be allowed to sell to whomever they chose and not necessarily the highest bidder, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Worth noting that this doesn't affect coverage of the upcoming season.

Advertisement