Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Interesting development. If I recall, Canal+ initially threatened court action but on what grounds I'm not sure. Did it actually go out to tender? I didn't think they actually needed to only to get a bidding war going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Tonga'uiha and Wannenburg starting too for Oyonnax. Two flops at their respective previous clubs.

Lyon are going to be fascinating to follow, they have made 15 or so signings with a good mix of young players with potential (Gunther, Martin, De Marco) and proven Top14 level players (Smith, Porical, Matadigo, Estebanez). I can't see them getting relegated with that kind of quality. Brive have probably been the weakest of the clubs in terms of recruitment but they play good rugby so I'll be rooting for them to stay up.

I must admit I laughed a bit when I heard racing signed Northampton's 2 props. They both were average in the scrum...hartley just stood up all the time and they just pushed. Without hartley they were finished and its proven so now.

Tonga'uiha and Wannenburg starting too for Oyonnax. Two flops at their respective previous clubs.

Lyon are going to be fascinating to follow, they have made 15 or so signings with a good mix of young players with potential (Gunther, Martin, De Marco) and proven Top14 level players (Smith, Porical, Matadigo, Estebanez). I can't see them getting relegated with that kind of quality. Brive have probably been the weakest of the clubs in terms of recruitment but they play good rugby so I'll be rooting for them to stay up.

I must admit I laughed a bit when I heard racing signed Northampton's 2 props. They both were average in the scrum...hartley just stood up all the time and they just pushed. Without hartley they were finished and its proven so now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Winters wrote: »
    Interesting development. If I recall, Canal+ initially threatened court action but on what grounds I'm not sure. Did it actually go out to tender? I didn't think they actually needed to only to get a bidding war going.

BeIn you mean? Canal had signed a deal and it was BeIn who felt cheated.

Both I think, Canal+ when LNR announced they were going to tender and then BeIn when they didn't. I think.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/french-regulator-orders-new-tender-top-14-rights

• Advertisement

I see toulon have reportedly signed cj van der linde on a 2 year contract. Was at London irish last year and didn't finish a game due to injury.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I see toulon have reportedly signed cj van der linde on a 2 year contract. Was at London irish last year and didn't finish a game due to injury.

I'd be very surprised if that is true. Maybe as cover for Castro who is injured but not on a two year deal.

If any team can bring broken saffers back from the brink then it's Toulon.

Well Midi Olympique just tweeted to Toulon that they were fooled about Van Der Linde so that move isn't happening.

Toulon's first lineup of the season, they play Toulouse in pre-season tomorrow night. :cool:

15. D.Armitage ; 14.Mitchell, 13. Wulf, 12.Mermoz, 11.D.Smith ; 10.Giteau, 9.Tillous ;
    7.Gorgodze, 8.S.Armitage, 6.Bruni ; 5.Mikautadze, 4.Suta ; 3.Hayman (cap), 2.Orioli, 1.Chiocci.

Replacements: Burden, Fresia, Barcella, Annetta, Taofifenua, Belan, Munoz, Bastareaud, Cramond, Claassens, Chilachava, Michalak, Seuteni, Tuisova.

No Halfpenny or James O'Connor just yet.

Toulouse's lineup:
    1.Kakovin, 2.Baille, 3.Tialata, 4.Millo-Chluski, 5.Tekori, 6.Camara, 7.Harinordoquy, 8.Galan,
    9.Doussain, 10.Flood, 11.Palisson, 12.McAlister, 13.David, 14.Clerc, 15.Poitrenaud

Remplaçants: 16.Marchand, 17.Ferreira, 18.Tolofua, 19.Lamboley, 20.Vermaak, 21.Fickou, 22.Matanavou, 23.Maka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Is the Top 14 on Sky this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

damianmcr wrote: »

I heard that it is - I hope this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

damianmcr wrote: »
    vienne86 wrote: »
    I heard that it is - I hope this is true.
    It is on Sky. 2 games live and a highlights programme a week. Playoffs also all live
    http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/9270596/sky-sports-have-signed-the-rights-to-the-top-14-frances-premier-rugby-competition

Two games per week - excellent. Any word of a highlights programme?

Two games per week - excellent. Any word of a highlights programme?
    And a highlights programme. Mentioned in post of mine you quoted.

And a highlights programme. Mentioned in post of mine you quoted.

Uh oh......getting late! Great news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

any chance it will still be on Setanta?

Season starts in two weeks time......really stupid that the European Cup fixtures haven't been fixed yet.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    any chance it will still be on Setanta?
    No. Exclusive to Sky
    Season starts in two weeks time......really stupid that the European Cup fixtures haven't been fixed yet.
    It is but what do you expect after all messing surrounding the structures etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Toulon are having an open training session at our sister club on Monday. Nearly tempted to take a couple of hours work to see what they're like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Toulon are having an open training session at our sister club on Monday. Nearly tempted to take a couple of hours work to see what they're like.

Big and good and foreign.

Sexton has been named in Racing's extended squad for their friendly at Toulon, so he should play some part.

compo%20toulon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Does anybody know a site where i could watch the Top 14 or a least watch highlights? Living in Australia, so TV coverage is out of the question. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Does anybody know a site where i could watch the Top 14 or a least watch highlights? Living in Australia, so TV coverage is out of the question. Cheers.

lnr.fr, the official website, posts highlights.

Top14 returns tonight! :D

A Toulon team with quite a few absentees (Burden, Castro, Bakkies, Williams, J Smith, Lobbe, Habana, Halfpenny) travel to a Bayonne side that unusually did very little business in the summer. No place in the 23 for Freddie as Giteau starts at 10 and JOC covers on the bench. However Michalak is in the French squad so he won't play every week. Same goes for Basta.

compo_bayonne_tln_1000.png

Le quinze de départ:

1. JC. Van Rensburg

2. G. Arganese

3. G. Jgenti

4. D. Senekal

5. M. Chisholm

6. J. Monribot

7. D. Haare

8. C. Ollivon

9. C. Loustalot

10. S. Fernandez

11. M. O'Connor

12. M. Ugalde

13. J. Rokoçoko

14. M. Bustos Moyano

15. S. Spedding

Les remplaçants: Labouyrie - Iguiniz - Fa'aoso - Marmouyet - Rouet - Stewart - Lovobalavu - Muller.

Where do I get the fixture list for Top 14? In the past I have used Eurosport, but they are still showing last year's list.

Where do I get the fixture list for Top 14? In the past I have used Eurosport, but they are still showing last year's list.

http://admin.lnr.fr/IMG/pdf/Calendrier_TOP_14_2014-2015.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Forgot how early the T14 starts...

How did the friendly go last week with Racing?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Forgot how early the T14 starts...

How did the friendly go last week with Racing?

Toulon just about won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

How do we all think the two promoted teams will get on this year?

Lyon with the amount of money they spent will surely stay up

The interesting one will be Le Rochelle who are a great rugby town. In the D2 play off final a crowd of 33,000 attended which is some going.

In the D2 they were getting crowds of over 12,000 (which is their max) so from that apect alone I hope they have a good year. For big games against local(ish) rivals like Bordeaux and Toulouse they could easily reach the 20,000 mark, pity they dont have a bigger stadium for those occasions.

I think Oyonnex will be one team to go down this year.

Bayonne are in trouble I reckon.

Bayonne, La Rochelle, Oyonnax, Grenoble, Brive and Lyon look like the teams to scrap it out. On paper Lyon and Grenoble should be OK with their squads but Grenoble have to recover from a horror show at the end of last season and Lyon haven't proven themselves yet at this level. It is hard to see La Rochelle surviving and Bayonne and Oyonnax don't look too hot either. Brive are candidates based on their small budget and overachieving last year, and they also lost LeDevedec, one of their best players. If I had to pick I'd go for Oyonnax and La Rochelle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Posted in the 'Australia v NZ' thread but Sky Sports is free to all Sky and UPC subscribers tomorrow so the Montpellier v Racing game is available.

The problem for La Rochelle is they have a horror block of fixtures to start: Brive (A), Toulon (A), Toulouse (H), Grenoble (A). They could lose all of those four and you'd fear they won't recover.

The key will be, like Oyonnax last year, to make their home a fortress. Brive didn't win away from home last year for example but were very strong at home.

• Advertisement

Random question but are Lyon going to be staying in their current stadium Matmut Stadium which only holds 8,000 which seems very small for a Top 14 side especially for a big city like Lyon.

In the English Prem a side needs to have at least a 10,000 capacity stadium to be allowed in.

Random question but are Lyon going to be staying in their current stadium Matmut Stadium which only holds 8,000 which seems very small for a Top 14 side especially for a big city like Lyon.

In the English Prem a side needs to have at least a 10,000 capacity stadium to be allowed in.

Lyon will move a few matches to the soccer stadium.

Lyon will move a few matches to the soccer stadium.

I was thinking that. Lyon V Clemont or another nearby/bigger club in an 8,000 seater just wouldn't feel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is Bayonne v Toulon on Sky this evening or is it a trawl through the Canal+ water features?

P_1 wrote: »
    Is Bayonne v Toulon on Sky this evening or is it a trawl through the Canal+ water features?

Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

matthew8 wrote: »
    Sky.

Tres bien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Good start to the Sky Top 14 coverage, only 16 minutes late!

I like the clock that counts down for kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Jonny Sexton won't.

Jonny Sexton won't.

It's a good rule.

I only joined in after 20, does the ref intend to enforce the clock strictly? Jonny looks like a kicker very dependent on routine and this could be terrible for him.

Is it happening all across the world this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

That Bayonne kick was ridiculous. Nobody bothered chasing so they gained no ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Is that 5 unforced errors now..

Bayonne won't win if their scrum is getting demolished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement