Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

iroced wrote: »
    Seems like we're bound to "bad" season starts... though 5 pts over 2 games is not too bad (but 2 home games). Looks like we're not ready yet...

Well. A historical win in Michelin after and we're top of the league... This is going to be tight again this year. So it's a really crucial victory we got there, it cancels out our debut defeat to Racing at home. Now we need to confirm it vs our nemesis Castres.

About the game itself. It was a classic ASM-MHR. We start well, we're ahead. Clermont strikes back and take on the score. But this time we kept close. We even went back ahead. But Mas' YC was supposed to be the end for us. As always in Marcel Michelin... And there was that last min 45m pen.
    Trinh-Duc is making a habit of giving us important points in the last min of games. That's good :D. He's becoming more and more our technical leader no matter how good or bad we play His 2 drop-goals were pure class. I can only hope we keep Galthié for long since TD has clearly stated that his future in our club is bound to Galthié's one.
    Despite the historical victory, we don't look quite ready yet. We're still in the "run-in" period. That said, I found our defence very good, tactically and collectively disciplined and our scrum very strong. It's always important to be strong on the basics. So that's a good starting point for this new season.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Looks like things might not be as straightforward for home sides in the Top 14 this year.

Admittedly. But still not that many away victories. 5 out of 21 games. 3 in the first GW and only one in both GW2 & 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ROG in the dock again with the LNR, for behaviour in Racing's win over Toulon.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2014-2015/racing-o-gara-convoque-par-la-commission-de-discipline-de-la-lnr_sto4385719/story.shtml

I'd say he had a few choice words for Vosloo and Burden. I'LL GIVE YE A ROCKET UP THE HOLE :)

Compo_RCT_Bordeaux_1000.jpg

Toulon team to play Bordeaux. 8 French starters!

and 1 on the bench :p

A good thrashing of our old nemesis Castres is a perfect way to start the week-end :D. 43-10 at home. 6 tries to 1.

But Castres down to 14 men very early (Beatie red card at the 10th min, looked harsh in real time but with the slow motion he goes and "shoulderise" Nagusa in the face...). That said we were already 10-0 up with a superb first try. We then took advantage of the situation and were 29-3 4 tries to none up at half time with Castres down to 13 men just before the half-time whistle.

The problem is that we took a 40 min HT and really got back in the game 15 mins to the end. In the meantime Castres scored a deserved try, we started to play any old how, lost many balls. Again the positive thing is the strength and discipline of our defense. We did not let Castres hope for a miracle return and a possible LBP. Finally we punished their logical tiring with 2 more tries in the last 15 min to secure the WBP.

So. A great result. But unfortunately not that many conclusions to draw out of this game. Our first 10 min (while against XV men) were great but it's only 10 min... We've been strong on the basics again (defense, scrum, line-out...) and we did develop some classy phases. We need to continue like that. 14 pts in 4 games, for once it's a good start ;).

Brive 19-6 up at home to Toulouse in the second half.

Brive-Toulouse: 26-19 FT.

2 tries to 1 for the home siders. No LBP for Toulouse despite a good finish. They came back from 19-6 to 19-19 but Bive managed to finish even more strongly and got a deserved winning try.

--- edit ---

Wow. Racing are getting hammered at Marcel Michelin. Clermont didn't like to be beaten last week!

ASM almost scored a 100m try now. Some kind of a rugby lesson today.

32-6 FT. 4 tries to none. Clermont's back. Racing doesn't travel well. For now...

Bordeaux take a lead in Toulon, 3-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bordeaux take a lead in Toulon, 3-10

Toulon scrape a win 18-13. Didn't see the match, but fair play to Bordeaux gettinga LBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Great performance by Bordeaux I have to say. Toulon limited to shots at goal bar a disallowed try caused by Hayman trying to set himself up for a late tilt at the NFL

That could be a watershed moment for Bordeaux. If they want to become a top six team then hammerings away from home have to become unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Anyone see the Toulon v Bordeaux Begles game? Bordeaux were ahead for a good amount of the game. Pretty decent match. Bordeaux have a prop who I am genuinely surprised is a professional athlete, he'd be fat even by American standards.

I'm guessing you're talking about Sebastien Taofifenua. I saw him live in Limerick, he is huge! The crowd reacted everytime he was tackled!

That could be a watershed moment for Bordeaux. If they want to become a top six team then hammerings away from home have to become unacceptable.

Yes.

There's another team to watch this season in my view, it's Grenoble. 4 Bonus points in 4 games. Can't beat that. 2 LBP away to Clermont and Montpellier. 2 TBP home to Bordeaux and La Rochelle. The main question is can they maintain their level of performance for an entire season? They spectacularly crashed last year and were eventually very close to go down in ProD2 after a great promising start. With experience they should manage that better though...

The FFR have published a list of 74 players that will be monitored by the management with a view to selection for RWC2015. Included are the list of the 30 man squad whose gametime is being limited this season, a further 30 French players, 10 "selectable" foreigners like Kockott and 4 players currently injured

The 30 man squad (already known):

Mas, Slimani,
    Kayser, Szarzewski, Guirado,
    Domingo, Debaty,
    Flanquart, Maestri, Papé, Vahaamahina,
    Dusautoir, Burban, Le Roux, Nyanga, Ouedraogo,
    Chouly, Claassen, Picamoles,

Machenaud, Parra,
    Michalak, Tales, Trinh-Duc,
    Bastareaud, Fofana, Lamerat,
    Médard, Huget, Dulin.

30 further French players:

Ducalcon,
    Tolofua, Orioli,
    Ben Arous, Chiocci, Menini, Tichit,
    Le Devedec, Suta, R. Taofifenua,
    Bruni, Camara, Lapandry, Lauret,
    Galan, Ollivon,

Doussain, Pélissié, Tillous-Borde,
    Lopez, Plisson,
    Thomas, Fickou, Fritz, Mermoz,
    Fall, Guitoune, Buttin, Germain, Palis.

10 foreigners who are potentially eligible:
    Atonio, Van der Merwe, S. Armitage, Tulou, Kockott, James, Connor, Nakaitaci, D. Smith, Spedding.

4 currently injured players:
    Andreu, H. Bonneval, Forestier, Lassalle.

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-france/2012-2013/xv-de-france-un-groupe-de-74-joueurs-avec-kockott-en-vue-du-mondial_sto4397670/story.shtml

I'm not sure what this list achieves but I suppose it gives an insight into the pecking oder and potential foreigners they want to cap using residency or the Sevens loophole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

10 foreigners who are potentially eligible:
    Atonio, Van der Merwe, S. Armitage, Tulou, Kockott, James, Connor, Nakaitaci, D. Smith, Spedding.

They're going to be disappointed on Armitage anyway.

Is that Brock James? Christ they must be desperate.

Gaetan Germain is one player they should have a look at in the autumn. Brice Dulin is a class fullback but Germain is very good in his own right and is a metronomic goalkicker. He pretty much kept Brive up last year with his kicking.

It really shows the lack of depth at tighthead when they can only name three (Mas, Slimani and Ducalcon) between the 30 man squad and the further 30. Plus Mas and Ducalcon are 30+.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And no Georgians in the potential foreigner list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

And no Georgians in the potential foreigner list.

Thank Christ for that however expect that to change in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Brock James :eek: surely the French aren't that hard up for 10's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

They're going to be disappointed on Armitage anyway.

Is that Brock James? Christ they must be desperate.

Thank you LNR!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Castres getting hammered

Castres got hammered.

La Rochelle with a convincing TBP 41-16 home victory vs last year finalist.

Castres are really struggling. They are undisciplined in most aspects of the game. They were beaten (again) on the basics (scrum, rucking, line-out), their defense was not organised well enough.
    Granted they played 3 away games out of 5 but what they show on the pitch is worrying...

I think Castres will definitely go down. I bet it was a full house as well in LaRochelle with its beautiful stadium along the sea.

I think Castres will definitely go down. I bet it was a full house as well in LaRochelle with its beautiful stadium along the sea.

Incredible change since last year. Should suit Leinster though.

I'd say your comment is a tad premature isn't it? It's only 5 games.

• Advertisement

I just have a feeling they'll go down however as you rightly pointed out its early in the season.

Another team who I think will go down are Oyonnax but given Grenoble's good start to the season it rather frustrating that they are bringing a weakened team there today so will properly lose. They should really target an away win here.

Toulouse lose again this time at home to Clermont. Things got so bad Noves decided to go for a kick at goal in the end to get a bonus point rather then go for a try.

Good to see an away win anyway. Trouble at Toulouse?

Major coup for Sky getting that guy from Milli Vanilli to do analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Good game in Toulon but Toulon have butchered a load of chances and missed penalties. Ref is also bottling it at scrum time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

What happens if the shot clock gets to zero before the kick is taken? Scrum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

get in Stade Francais. Delighted!! what a result. although we have the unfortunate habit of storming out of the blocks and crumbling 2/3rds of the season through. we'll take it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Stade go into 2nd place after 5 games with a -12 points difference. Crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Major coup for Sky getting that guy from Milli Vanilli to do analysis.

I've heard he doesn't even do his own analysis.

get in Stade Francais. Delighted!! what a result. although we have the unfortunate habit of storming out of the blocks and crumbling 2/3rds of the season through. we'll take it though

Well done Stade! Toulon coughed up so many chances, it serves them right being beaten.

Great result for SF, was a decent match to watch but Toulon were do error strewn and left 20 points out there from the kicking tee.

I watched some of it back, Toulon missed a lot of kicks between Armitage, O'Connor and Escande.

Bordeaux won today against Montpellier after two late penalties, huge result for them.

I watched some of it back, Toulon missed a lot of kicks between Armitage, O'Connor and Escande.

Bordeaux won today against Montpellier after two late penalties, huge result for them.
    Bordeaux are away to La Rochelle next week - that'll be entertaining!

vienne86 wrote: »
    Bordeaux are away to La Rochelle next week - that'll be entertaining!

End to end action of free play. La Rochelle to win by 5 with a score line of 42-37...!

Pity Sky aren't showing it. I see they are showing Toulon for a third week next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

End to end action of free play. La Rochelle to win by 5 with a score line of 42-37...!

Pity Sky aren't showing it. I see they are showing Toulon for a third week next weekend.

As Mourad said, everyone just wants to see his team play so he should get more money.

L'Equipe are reporting that JM Hernandez will replace James O'Connor at Toulon until the end of the season, after JOC goes back to Australia in January.

• Advertisement

L'Equipe are reporting that JM Hernandez will replace James O'Connor at Toulon until the end of the season, after JOC goes back to Australia in January.

He left Racing, didn't he? Where does he play now?

vienne86 wrote: »
    He left Racing, didn't he? Where does he play now?

Unattached while playing for Argentina.

Freddie Michalak has dislocated the same shoulder again so they will certainly need Hernandez now. With JOC and Michalak out Giteau is their only senior 10 left. Plus Bastareaud can't play every match due to being in the France 30 so Giteau will be needed to play centre at times too.

This is now confirmed by Toulon.

Harsh but I can see where he is coming from

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_9472763,00.html

Let the WRU pay his wages

What exactly do you do in a medical then?

.ak wrote: »
    What exactly do you do in a medical then?

Exchange bank details it appears.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rumours of Wilkinson making a comeback as a medical joker abound.

Has Mourad ever heard of constructive dismissal?! That's an awful situation to put Halfpenny in, it's not his fault if he's injured.

• Advertisement

Has Mourad ever heard of constructive dismissal?! That's an awful situation to put Halfpenny in, it's not his fault if he's injured.

It would be if he lied about it on his medical.

Advertisement