Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Playing very well for them. Seen him a few times and he's impressed, excellent at the breakdown. Once he's over the ball he's impossible to knock of it because of the way he's built and the low centre of gravity.

Toulon are supposed to be keen on Chris Ashton as well although I'd say he'll end up at Saracens

Armitage has been a great replacement for George Smith alright.

On Ashton, Toulon are linked to nearly everyone so I wouldn't place much credence in it tbh.

Contracts ending:

Benjamin LAPEYRE JUIN 2014
    Christian LOAMANU JUIN 2013
    David SMITH JUIN 2013
    Jérémy SINZELLE JUIN 2013 (espoir)
    Samy BEN LETAÏEF
    Alexis PALISSON JUIN 2013
    Luke ROONEY JUIN 2013

They've plenty of cover in the back three IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

What's the story with Bayonne? They're in genuine danger of being relegated now. Bottom of the table, 10 games left, 2 teams relegated. They've spent some serious money and their players are on contracts that would run into next season. Phillips, Huget, Rocokoco, Tialata, Chisholm, Flavell, Lauaki, Boyet, Heymans...one hell of a squad to have in Pro Division 2. Toulon put 50 on them today. Something seriously rotten there.

Will be interesting to see what happens with someone like Phillips. Surely there's a clause in his contract to have him released if they're relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Super display by Montpallier on Friday to hammer Stade Francais 38-6. Can't believe that they don't do better in HEC. Should have beaten Toulouse in last years final, Galthie is doing a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GerM wrote: »
    What's the story with Bayonne? They're in genuine danger of being relegated now. Bottom of the table, 10 games left, 2 teams relegated. They've spent some serious money and their players are on contracts that would run into next season. Phillips, Huget, Rocokoco, Tialata, Chisholm, Flavell, Lauaki, Boyet, Heymans...one hell of a squad to have in Pro Division 2. Toulon put 50 on them today. Something seriously rotten there.

Will be interesting to see what happens with someone like Phillips. Surely there's a clause in his contract to have him released if they're relegated.

Rokocoko has been labelled an awful signing by the media and supporters. I only really follow Toulon's season so I can't say if they're right or not.

Bayonne appointed a new coach mid season and he only lasted 40 days, I think they are on their 3rd coaching ticket of the season now. Not exactly a stable environment. As you say given their squad on paper, you'd expect them to be challenging for a top 6 spot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I haven't followed Rokocoko's progress at all but some of his comments when he announced he would be leaving NZ were enough for me to hope he wouldn't arrive on Irish soil. Off the top of my head he was looking for a beach and a nice life style in his new club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Well names (as good as they could be) don't make a team. Bayonne probably wanted to grow too fast. Their pre-season was quite a mess. A mess that actually started last winter with Laporte arrival. I think there was some internal frictions around the head of the club. Presidency changed from pressures from Afflelou, the main sponsor. Then they took big names and it looks like they forgot to build a constructive project. So they don't seem to know where they're heading...

Now they have 2 home games in a row (SF & Clermont) and if they don't take something out of them I think it'll be game over for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

its rugby lads, but not as ye know it................Yeah I know, whats the story?? etc etc
    You just can't apply Irish logic to French rugby. Some rivers run deep.

Honestly, I'm over here 20 years but I don't know where to start...........

Affelou is just bad news, but the problems in the club predate him........

I know there are many of you just screaming at the keyboard " well if its broke, lets fix it"

French rugby does not work that way.

Yeah, I hear ye, whats that ****e? doesn't work that way?? my arse etc etc

Well thats the way it does work,
    Thomond 2006 has some expérience of méditerranéen rugby, Algerian, Tunisian, or Morroccan down Toulon way. But not of home grown french rugby.

As of now the president of the league is threatning to feck off, leaving the league in the hands of a few fly by nights...........I'll stop there.

Whinge about the IRFU all you want but at the least they put the national XV first

4PP wrote: »
    its rugby lads, but not as ye know it................Yeah I know, whats the story?? etc etc

I know there are many of you just screaming at the keyboard " well if its broke, lets fix it"

Thomond 2006 has some expérience of méditerranéen rugby, Algerian, Tunisian, or Morroccan down Toulon way. But not of home grown french rugby.

As of now the president of the league is threatning to feck off, leaving the league in the hands of a few fly by nights...........I'll stop there.

Whinge about the IRFU all you want but at the least they put the national XV first

seriously guys, I'm not taking the piss, the french vision of rugby is nowhere near the way Ireland looks on the game.

trying to compare the inherent values within them is ridcoulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Got my first taste for French rugby in Stade De France on saturday, Racing vs Toulouse.

Got there early to see what the buzz about the stadium was like. Good vibes, but seemed empty. Turned out we ended up heading there a tad bit early, as about 10 minutes before KO the place was pretty packed.

Actually amazing how much of a fanfare there was about the whole match. Seemed like it was a quarter final or something... 80% packed Stade De France, fireworks, smoke, prematch entertainment and all that jazz. They really like to use the hype machine.

The Toulouse fan base were great, very loud! You'd swear it was in Toulouse, even though the Racing fans outnumbered them 4 to 1.

Game itself was poor, but as most of the Toulouse internationals were away it was quite understandable. Racing were just poor, rife with unforced handling errors.

Second half was interesting tho, as it almost went to the last minute.

Interesting to see a game on the otherside of the water live though as opposed to on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Armitage has been a great replacement for George Smith alright.

On Ashton, Toulon are linked to nearly everyone so I wouldn't place much credence in it tbh.

Contracts ending:

Benjamin LAPEYRE JUIN 2014
    Christian LOAMANU JUIN 2013
    David SMITH JUIN 2013
    Jérémy SINZELLE JUIN 2013 (espoir)
    Samy BEN LETAÏEF
    Alexis PALISSON JUIN 2013
    Luke ROONEY JUIN 2013

They've plenty of cover in the back three IMO.

Always surprised me that Armitage didn't get more of a run at 7 for England. They haven't been the same team since Neil Back retired.

• Advertisement

Went to Racing v Stade Francais last season. Unimpressed with Racing, very poor considering their talent. Chabal useless, a passenger, past his sell by date.

Generally like games in France, the weather is usually better than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Went to Racing v Stade Francais last season. Unimpressed with Racing, very poor considering their talent. Chabal useless, a passenger, past his sell by date.

Generally like games in France, the weather is usually better than here.

Two teams full of mercenaries, meh. South of France is where the real rugby is. Clermont, Montpellier, Perpignan............ atmosphere's that money just can't buy.

I'm French. I'm following rugby for ~20 years. I'm not sure I understand what you mean and what you're talking about :confused:.

You can't take examples of bad management and/or huge investment in French rugby as a general rule.
    SF had their years of glory recently but they were unable to renew the early 00ies winning team and messed up with their coaches. Tehy slowly but surely went down. Racing & Toulon wanted to grow super fast. It almost worked. But now they both understood (well I think) that building a team around a mid-term project is the key to success. Bayonne failed for the same reasons in the end (even though they don't have the same financial power). Perpignan fcuked up because of internal dysfunctioning. The president is probably heavily responsible for their current situation. They really really badly managed their title 2 and half years ago.
    Clermont, Castres, Montpellier are good examples of the way to succeed. Give time to time. Build a good formation centre. Build a project around a certain consistent way of playing etc... Naturally Toulouse is the ultimate everlasting example.

Of course, it's impossible to compare with Ireland. Your provincial system by definition demand a different functioning. In the end that helps the Irish players to play together in the country. With that system you built up 2 european giants (Leinster & Munster). Ulster seems to become more and more competitive too recently. It's also good for your national team.
    Imagine a provincial system in France. What about the SW French team ? (you'd have to mix up Clermont, Toulouse, Castres, Biarritz, Perpignan, Montpellier, Brives, Bayonne, Begles-Bordeaux, half the Pro D2 teams etc...). Basically, 1 or 2 players aside, it'll be the French team :p.

I still don't quite understand what you mean by "Whinge about the IRFU all you want but at the least they put the national XV first". Do you mean it's not the case in France?

Then, of course there are problems in French rugby. Especially at the top. The recent buzz made by Mourad Boudjelal stigmatises that. But he didn't use the right method. Rugby has evolved like no other sports in France in the last 15-20 years adapting itself to professionalism. Yes there are more and more money into it now. But to me it still has its values. Its respect. I feel sometimes people are idealising the way amateur rugby used to be. At least in France. I can tell you it was nowhere near perfect or ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is the T14 two up two down still? Two from Biarritz, Bayonne, Perpignan, Lyon and Brive to go down then. The first three would be a big loss to French rugby right? Biarritz going down would be crazy.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is the T14 two up two down still? Two from Biarritz, Bayonne, Perpignan, Lyon and Brive to go down then. The first three would be a big loss to French rugby right? Biarritz going down would be crazy.
    Yes it is. At the moment the 2 Basque clubs are at the bottom. Getting them 2 relegated would be a major upset in French Rugby. USAP is going very bad too at the moment. The worst thing is that they don't really seem to realise in which situation they are... They need to try and do something or they're heading down to Pro D2 for sure. What a waste it would be : 2 Top 14 final (including 1 title) and a H Cup 1/2f in the last 3 years...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rokocoko has been labelled an awful signing by the media and supporters. I only really follow Toulon's season so I can't say if they're right or not.

Bayonne appointed a new coach mid season and he only lasted 40 days, I think they are on their 3rd coaching ticket of the season now. Not exactly a stable environment. As you say given their squad on paper, you'd expect them to be challenging for a top 6 spot.

They're on their third chairman in two years as well I think, after Alain Afflelou left at the end of last year.

They're on their third chairman in two years as well I think, after Alain Afflelou left at the end of last year.
    In the end, he didn't leave. That was a political/tactical pressure to get more control and power at the club. He is now president.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

iroced wrote: »
    In the end, he didn't leave. That was a political/tactical pressure to get more control and power at the club. He is now president.

Ah, OK. Their third president in two years, then.

here.[/QUOTE]

Two teams full of mercenaries, meh. South of France is where the real rugby is. Clermont, Montpellier, Perpignan............ atmosphere's that money just can't buy.[/Quote]

Clermont is not in the South of France, but you're right it is crammed full of local talent like Hines (3rd club in 4 seasons?) so no mercenaries. I am very familiar with rugby out side of Paris and have played against Perpignan. Both Racing & Stade contested the first 10-12 national finals and have as much history as any other club.

Another victory for Montpellier tonight (4th in a row :D) after a quite ugly game. The "derby" with Perpignan. We were quickly ahead 2 tries to nil and started to be self-indulgent. As a result we put USAP back in the game and had a pretty bad second period. We couldn't grab the WBP which seemed gettable after 20 min... Hopefully this point won't be critical at the end of the season for a home QF...

Toulouse secured a WBP victory in Biarritz. Second half was weird with some strange refereeing decisions (the ref changed his interpretation in the second half and started to over-penalise Toulouse which resulted in Biarritz not only getting the LBP but also being in contention for a victory until the very last play). In the end, despite defeat it's a precious point for the Basque. But the second half won't help Blanco's club reputation...

Anyway even without the majority of their starting team, Toulouse is flying : they are 11 points ahead of Clermont and 20 ahead of Toulon, respectively 2nd & 3rd of the Top 14 (OK with a game in hand but still that's impressive and it's been quite some time since a team dominated the championship like that).

Next week tonight's 2 "losers" will meet in Aimé Giral for a critical priceless USAP - BO. Damn the loser !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Next week tonight's 2 "losers" will meet in Aimé Giral for a critical priceless USAP - BO. Damn the loser !

Damn the loser is right. It doesn't look good for Biarritz at all now. Lyon, Brive, and Bayonne all have a game or games in hand on them. Their home record isn't great and they've still to play Racing, Stade, and Clermont.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Damn the loser is right. It doesn't look good for Biarritz at all now. Lyon, Brive, and Bayonne all have a game or games in hand on them. Their home record isn't great and they've still to play Racing, Stade, and Clermont.

Imagine the bragging rights in the Basque country if Biarritz go down? Bayonne were once the kingpins only to be usurped by Biarritz. Will the wheel turn again? Not much sympathy for Serge if it happens.

Yeah. Importantissimissimus victory for USAP tonight. Deserved win too. USAP were strong on the basics and exploited well the Basque YC (stupid one too: how come he was hoping to get away with taking the ball at the back of a progressing maul while the ref had warned them on the multiplication of their fouls?). Biarritz lacked almost everything tonight. So many mistakes (knock-on, line-out not found, possession lost), a lack of intensity/agressivity, no stand-out leader on the pitch. Their only hope is that their list of fixtures is not so bad with 5 home game sout of the last 8. But in fairness they don't deserve to stay in Top 14 this season...

Last week, Bayonne won a critical game against Stade Francais. Could have been a turning point in the season.

And tomorrow, Bayonne, Brive & Lyon play at home. If they all get something out of their games, it'll be another blow on Biarritz sore heads ...

Imagine the bragging rights in the Basque country if Biarritz go down? Bayonne were once the kingpins only to be usurped by Biarritz. Will the wheel turn again? Not much sympathy for Serge if it happens.

Don't underestimate Serge B

Yeah. Importantissimissimus victory for USAP tonight. Deserved win too. USAP were strong on the basics and exploited well the Basque YC (stupid one too: how come he was hoping to get away with taking the ball at the back of a progressing maul while the ref had warned them on the multiplication of their fouls?). Biarritz lacked almost everything tonight. So many mistakes (knock-on, line-out not found, possession lost), a lack of intensity/agressivity, no stand-out leader on the pitch. Their only hope is that their list of fixtures is not so bad with 5 home game sout of the last 8. But in fairness they don't deserve to stay in Top 14 this season...

Last week, Bayonne won a critical game against Stade Francais. Could have been a turning point in the season.

And tomorrow, Bayonne, Brive & Lyon play at home. If they all get something out of their games, it'll be another blow on Biarritz sore heads ...

Surprised iroced, you didn't mention the 'refs homer :D

You mean stumbled across the line despite dominating

Biarritz Olympique Pas Basque :p

Surprised iroced, you didn't mention the 'refs homer :D

Well, true that the first catalan try shouldn't have been allowed (there's a "obstruction" (is that the correct word?) from a catalan player on a basque defender).
    But the score was already 15-6 and USAP was within their numerical superiority advantage period. I don't think it would have changed the game a lot. The second try is valid and in the last 10 min with the numerical advantage on their side Biarritz didn't do anything right so being down 25-6 or 20-6 would have been the same thing I believe.

What I found really cheeky is Lagisquet reaction at the end putting quite some important blame about the result on the referee. When you think about the amount of times Biarritz benefitted from clear home advantage (recently remember the Basque derby)... there's a good expression in French for that "c'est l'hôpital qui se fout de la charité" :D (is it the equivalent of "the pot calling the kettle black" ?)
    You mean stumbled across the line despite dominating
    I'm not sure I get what you're talking about...:o

I just meant that a Biarritz defeat combined with a Bayonne victory could see a trend reversal between the progression/ranking of both teams ;).

Biarritz Olympique Pas Basque :p

Not sure what that refers to but BOPB were founded in 1913 after the merger of Biarritz Stade and Biarritz Sporting Club rugby teams.

Aviron Bayonnais were founded in 1904.

Without getting involved in local squabbles I was told that the Basque has 2 favourite places San Sebastian (Donostia) and Bayonne (Baiona) with Biarritz only arriving as a town in 1854 after Napoleon III built a palace.

Bayonne have long begrudged the upstarts from nextdoor their sucess.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I get what you're talking about...:o

I was referring to them (Bayonne) making a meal of it. They could have won handsomely but they made life hard for themselves.

Advertisement