Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Strong Toulon bench. Carl Hayman is a fantastic prospect; an up-and-coming 34-year-old 120kg utility back who can cover the entire backline.

He's still doing the business at TH anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Toulouse really up for this - great try.

With a penalty advantage McAlister puts up a perfect high ball, Toulon/Halfpenny nowhere to be seen covering and Fickou catches and falls over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting seeing Lacey refing a big t14 game like this.

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting seeing Lacey refing a big t14 game like this.

Particularly as he doesn't seem to speak French.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Particularly as he doesn't seem to speak French.

They use non-French refs before Europe so French teams get used to those refs .

Toulouse really in Toulon's faces. Looks as if they don't know what hit them. Great stuff from Toulouse. Lovely handling from the forwards there.

Toulon's lineout, as it often is when Burden is at hooker, is not good.

Monster kick from McAlister puts Toulouse 16-0 ahead, after an idiotic offside penalty from Burden.

Toulon need a few of those benchers on asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Exciting game so far. Can't beat this Sunday night rugby.

Come on Toulouse

• Advertisement

Bakkies in the bin, this is a nightmare for Toulon!

Bakkies in the bin, this is a nightmare for Toulon!

Toulon are all over the place - really strange to watch!

Toulon build the phases really well and then knock on inside the Toulouse 22. Medard goes for audacious cross kick for Huget who almost goes all the way but Halfpenny puts him out. Toulouse are playing some fantastic rugby.

Toulon a bit unlucky there - foot in touch, no try. 16 - 0 half time.

16-0 HT

Toulouse look back to some of their best. Aside from two forays into the 22 that almost earned something Toulon haven't looked at the races. They are really missing Giteau's direction IMO. I think they will take that scoreline, McAlister missed a routine penalty and Huget's break could have killed off the game. Toulon have a much better bench that gives them a chance to get back into the game. They badly need Gorgodze and Steffon on to get them some go forward ball.

Two great try saving tackles

Halfpenny is having a decent enough game - delighted for him....just wish he played for a different club.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Halfpenny is having a decent enough game - delighted for him....just wish he played for a different club.

Massive pressure on him to perform given the nonsense a few weeks back.

Massive pressure on him to perform given the nonsense a few weeks back.

Exactly. I think this is his first outing, and he is aquitting himself well. Fair play to him.

Fabulous from Harinordoquy! Huget in for the try!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Commentators incapable of telling the difference between ref saying ball is available and ball is out.

Watching this, you really wonder how Toulouse are right down the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Welcome back Toulouse. We've missed you.

And just as I type that.....

Toulon have Lee Halfpenny to thank for stopping Toulouse scoring a try.....and Habana scores at the other end instead.....big swing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Fritz butchered a certain try, 12 point swing there at least. Would've been interesting to see what would have happened had Medard connected with the ankle tap on Habana, would it have been grounds for a penalty try?

Oh dear, oh dear. Really poor from O'Connor.

Ah James that's unforgivable.

Eh penalty to Toulouse, no?

Ah James that's unforgivable.

Shocking. Would have been a good case for just taking the points anyway. More than 20 minutes to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

How was Castro allowed to stay on the field? He looked hammered.

Toulon not dead yet. Bench having an impact.

Pretty poor attempt at an offload from Basta

Toulon looking ragged. Great to see Toulouse back in business.

Comedy of errors at the end.....Toulouse lucky enough that Toulon didn't score there. Delighted for Toulouse. Up to 8th now.

Cracking game I thought. Hairydonkey had to be MOTM

• Advertisement

Great performance from Toulouse- they really put in the effort, and backed each other up....I wonder what Noves said to them. Season back on track. Supporters will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

.ak wrote: »
    Cracking game I thought. Hairydonkey had to be MOTM

phenomenal performance. back line had a great game also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

That was a great game. Toulon were pretty lucky not to be leaving Toulouse after being hammered by 30+ points.

Yes, very entertaining game. I take issue with Sky insisting on showing Toulon week in week out, but this was a cracker of a game for the neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So Toulouse is still alive and well. All the drama around the 5 defeats in a row and the deep crisis were very much exaggerated. I'm not saying the club doesn't need to change things but I think many forgot that in the 5 defeats 4 were away and in the middle the home game was vs Clermont. Granted that was most unusual for such a club but there were exceptional circumstances associated to it. That said if neither of the top 6 teams slow down dramatically like Grenoble last year Toulouse would have to come out with a super run to nail its position for the finals and the next ERC.

• Advertisement

iroced wrote: »
    So Toulouse is still alive and well. All the drama around the 5 defeats in a row and the deep crisis were very much exaggerated. I'm not saying the club doesn't need to change things but I think many forgot that in the 5 defeats 4 were away and in the middle the home game was vs Clermont. Granted that was most unusual for such a club but there were exceptional circumstances associated to it. That said if neither of the top 6 teams slow down dramatically like Grenoble last year Toulouse would have to come out with a super run to nail its position for the finals and the next ERC.

I think it's a little early to announce that Toulouse are back. Let's see how they go this weekend first. Remember last season Leinster thumped Northampton in Franklin's Gardens and people were talking about them being back to top form. Only to be soundly beaten the following week and even the week after against Edinburgh. One swallow does not a summer make. They need to build on that performance now. A good win over Montpellier at home would be the perfect follow up really.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think it's a little early to announce that Toulouse are back

Well that's two wins on the bounce but I think it's the way they played last night that would give me confidence as opposed to the result. Plus they have been missing some key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think it's a little early to announce that Toulouse are back. Let's see how they go this weekend first. Remember last season Leinster thumped Northampton in Franklin's Gardens and people were talking about them being back to top form. Only to be soundly beaten the following week and even the week after against Edinburgh. One swallow does not a summer make. They need to build on that performance now. A good win over Montpellier at home would be the perfect follow up really.

Well I'm not saying they're back on top. I'm just saying their situation was not as bad as I heard in the French press and from certain fans (I even heard or read the word "relegation", end of an era etc...). There was this exceptional run of 4 away games out of 5 which "helped" the "defeats record".

Toulouse need to adapt to the new powers of the Top14. Notably what economical model they wish to follow? What about Noves succession (e.g. I'm not convinced by JB Elissalde work)? Just these 2 topics are extremely difficult to deal with. But at some point they'll have to decide and come with a long-term plan. I don't see them winning big things if they stay as they are. Noves actually made that statement many times last year (more about the first topic of course :P but he indirectly talked about the second too).

So yeah they need to build on yesterday's performance but even if they don't I would not worry yet. There's still plenty time to recover. The season is very long. Racing, Castres showed that you can bounce back from a poor start, Grenoble, Montpellier further ago had the opposite trend which almost sent them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Racing cutting out some of the dead wood; Roberts, Phillips and Lydiate being told to PFO.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/29610121
    Wales stars Jamie Roberts, Mike Phillips and Dan Lydiate could leave Racing Metro in the coming days, according to reports in France.

Racing coach Laurent Labit told L'Equipe: "We have raised the subject with them. They have never really been that effective since their arrival."

Big chance for the Welsh union to get a few of their big names back home under their new contract system and even get them playing in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just seen the following on EPCR facebook page:

Reports in English media today suggest that European Champions RC Toulon may be ready to allow their flanker and 'European player of the year' to join Bath.

According to The Daily Telegraph Steffon Armitage was on Monday night at the centre of an audacious bid by Bath to bring the European player of the year back to the Premiership from Toulon in a sensational move.. apparently Armitage is expected to discover on Tuesday whether the deal has been agreed by the two clubs, which could be finalised in time for the 29-year-old to become a Bath player ahead of their opening European Champions Cup match against Glasgow on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Racing cutting out some of the dead wood; Roberts, Phillips and Lydiate being told to PFO.

Big chance for the Welsh union to get a few of their big names back home under their new contract system and even get them playing in Europe.

No surprise there, don't think they have done anything of note since signing for the club.

That news about Armitage is mad, I'd say Lancaster would be quite pleased to have him available again.

Is it normal for these sorts of deals to be done at this time of year? Sounds strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any chance they would throw out Sexton early :D I'm sure Leinster might be able to find a home for him

Sure he is useless anyway :eek:

They have never really been that effective since their arrival.

Ouch! :D

Dead right. I'd be livid if I was Labit. Journeymen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement