Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

4PP wrote: »
    Biarritz Olympique Pas Basque :p

@ Lapsed Catholic

On the wall outside the stade there is the sign "Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque"

Bayonne have always disputed this moniker because as far as they are concerned they are the REAL Basques & BO have no right to add "Pays Basque" to their name.

So a few years back a "commando" of Bayonne supporters stole the "Y" from the sign, which left it reading "Pa s Basque" ie not basque.

Major incident between the two clubs etc etc, the usual if you like.

After a while the "Y" was returned but the name has stuck :D.

Honestly, there are times relations between the two clubs are more surreal than a scene from the Life of Brian! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Not sure what that refers to but BOPB were founded in 1913 after the merger of Biarritz Stade and Biarritz Sporting Club rugby teams.

Aviron Bayonnais were founded in 1904.

Without getting involved in local squabbles I was told that the Basque has 2 favourite places San Sebastian (Donostia) and Bayonne (Baiona) with Biarritz only arriving as a town in 1854 after Napoleon III built a palace.

Bayonne have long begrudged the upstarts from nextdoor their sucess.

Donosti is really really nice. I'd like to visit Biarritz too sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Wow :eek: ! Quite a dramatic day in Top 14 especially at the bottom of the table.
    • Lyon losing everything in the last min against Racing after an epic comeback. What a pity! They really deserved better. Their game in hand at home to Brive will be critical!
    • Bayonne getting a late try with touchline conversion and resisting to Clermont multiple attacks for 3-4 min over the regulation 80 to finally grab the 2 pts from the draw.
    • Brive scoring a deserved second try in the last min and coming back for the draw against Castres... but unfortunately failing to convert it and just getting the LBP consolation.
    • Toulon scoring a late try with touchline conversion too to grab the draw against Stade Francais in the Stade de France (not good news for me as a Montpellierain :p).
    • Montpellier getting a late try (with a little bit of luck on the penalty kick leading to the line-out which resulted in the successful maul) and resisting the last attacking phases from a doughty Begles-Bordeaux team which got the LBP as a consolation.
    • Agen getting what they thought was a late try for the LBP in Ernest-Wallon but... unfortunately for them video showed that the hooker dropped the ball inches before the try line...

Jeez just writing this summary was epic and tiring :D. There was quite some time since we'd seen such a dramatic gameweek.

In the end, Toulouse is a solid leader 17 points clear off the 3rd place :eek: !!! which basically mean that they secured a top 2 position i.e. they'll be in the semi-final again but with a lot more comfort then in the recent years.
    Clermont 8 pts behind is their only "challenger". It's probably a good news for both these teams with H Cup & 6 Nations perspectives coming soon.

Then we have Toulon, Castres, Montpellier and the 2 parisian teams fighting for 4 places. Toulon & Castres have a little advantage on Montpellier for the home QF positions. SF & Racing follow a little bit more behind.

In mid table, Begles-Bordeaux & Agen should secure their place in Top 14.

And, finally, the battle against relegation should be more epic than ever. Perpignan (31), Brive (29), Bayonne (29), Biarritz (25), Lyon (24) with Lyon & Brive having a game in hand between eachother in Lyon. There will be some very tense and dramatic head to head games between these teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bayonne have probably been the disappointment of the year in terms of recruitment.

I think I understood tonight all the frustration you Irish supporters sometimes feel about how your national team has been playing under Kidney recently.

Montpellier game tonight was absolutely terrible :mad:. We spent the whole game (even while Toulon had one man out) kicking back the ball to Toulon backs. We almost never tried to pass the ball and go forward. We played like a stupid bunch of brainless chicks (they don't even deserve the term chicken as they didn't even try to run), that's all :mad:.
    Clearly we came to Mayol aiming for the LBP. What an ambition :rolleyes: ! And of course when you play "petites bites" (I let you translate this popular French expression by yourself :p) like that you always get punished and rightly so.
    Anyway nothing to take from that game, maybe the only "good" thing was the defense, but we knew that and when you come only to defend it's the least that you do it well !
    That's incredible how we can look like a harmless bunch of half-wit rough guys when Trinh-Duc is absent... That's actually worrying for the future... :(

• Advertisement

Allez la horde sauvage!

iroced wrote: »
    I think I understood tonight all the frustration you Irish supporters sometimes feel about how your national team has been playing under Kidney recently.

Montpellier game tonight was absolutely terrible :mad:. We spent the whole game (even while Toulon had one man out) kicking back the ball to Toulon backs. We almost never tried to pass the ball and go forward. We played like a stupid bunch of brainless chicks (they don't even deserve the term chicken as they didn't even try to run), that's all :mad:.
    Clearly we came to Mayol aiming for the LBP. What an ambition :rolleyes: ! And of course when you play "petites bites" (I let you translate this popular French expression by yourself :p) like that you always get punished and rightly so.
    Anyway nothing to take from that game, maybe the only "good" thing was the defense, but we knew that and when you come only to defend it's the least that you do it well !
    That's incredible how we can look like a harmless bunch of half-wit rough guys when Trinh-Duc is absent... That's actually worrying for the future... :(

Totally agree, they were a disgrace to the jersey. Particuarilly when you know how well they CAN play, even without TinDuck!

Allez la horde sauvage!

"Horde Sauvage" is right! icon13.gif

They represent every negative element of professionnel rugby :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Anyone watching Clermont v Toulouse? Excellent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

padraig.od wrote: »

any stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

padraig.od wrote: »
    Clermont are running away with it 23 point gap now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Decent game. The atmosphere and intensity was there but the quality was lacking. Both teams missing players though.

Butin could really become some player if he continues progressing like that !

Clermont has a very strong team. They showed it during the WC but the young guys seem to have found perfectly their place in this team. When you think that they have Parra-Rougerie-Fofana-Malzieu with Les Bleus (+ Debaty & Bonnaire for the forwards). They have some squad and an impressive "striking" force.

Butin could really become some player if he continues progressing like that !

Clermont has a very strong team. They showed it during the WC but the young guys seem to have found perfectly their place in this team. When you think that they have Parra-Rougerie-Fofana-Malzieu with Les Bleus (+ Debaty & Bonnaire for the forwards). They have some squad and an impressive "striking" force.

I was terrified he would be called up the the French XV, he is really excellent both in attack & defense. Amazing to think he fell through almost all the cracks & wasn't destined for a professionnel career

They have chosen Poitrofart, who am I to complain?

Mind you Chabal only came to rugby via drink. Thats another story but i've got it seeing as he's from down my way :D

Allez les Crestois :)

Great game in Aimé Giral yesterday. I was invited in a suite so could enjoy the game with premium finger food and champagne biggrin.gif.

Anyway, good come back from Perpignan in the second half after a pretty poor first one Porical missing 2 easy penalties putting them under pressure. Strange thing is both teams scored a try while down to 14 men. USAP is still alive and getting the draw at the last min was crucial. It keeps their dynamic of getting points at each game for 3 games in a row now. Next game away to Clermont is gonna be tough from that perspective though. And the next home game against Bayonne will be VITAL !

Montpellier helped them a bit by beating Bayonne without letting them the LBP despite messing up the game completely 15 min to the end (it actually could have cost us the victory): Bayonne got a YC and while we were clearly on top and comfortably ahead (32-19) we chose to kick a penalty instead of going to score a try to try and get the WBP. I don't know who decided this stupid decision but he should be burned naked in the middle of Place de la Comédie biggrin.gif. Because as a result of this loser attitude, Bayonne came back in the game and Huget scored a magnificient (though a little fortunate) 80 m try from a genius inspiration. Anyway we finally secured the win but this WBP we didn't (even try to) get could be critical come the end of the season...

Especially when Castres played a fantastic game in Toulouse only losing by 7 points. They lead for most of the game but Toulouse scored 2 tries in the last 10 min to get away with the win. Cracking game !

Racing struggled to get a second tough victory in a row. In spite of all the recent messing at the club between players and staff, they're still in good position for HC & play-off place. Stade Francais too after a WBP victory over Lyon which seems to condemn the latter to go back down in Pro D2.

A good second half with 2 tries got Clermont a tough victory in Agen and a 11 pts margin over Toulon. I think they pretty much secured a top 2 spot by now.

Finally Biarritz got an important second victory in a row (without the WBP this time but still). 2 home games = 9 points. Yachvilli being responsible for... let's say 8.5 of these 9 pts... Blanco's influence is a disgrace to sportsmanship (he's probably the only one capable of dictating the national coach who he can take and who he can not ... rolleyes.gif) but in the end it's probably a good thing to keep at top level such a historical rugby place as Biarritz (even if up to now this year they don't especially deserve it).

& now ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!! biggrin.gif

Great game in Aimé Giral yesterday. I was invited in a suite so could enjoy the game with premium finger food and champagne biggrin.gif.

Anyway, good come back from Perpignan in the second half after a pretty poor first one Porical missing 2 easy penalties putting them under pressure. Strange thing is both teams scored a try while down to 14 men. USAP is still alive and getting the draw at the last min was crucial. It keeps their dynamic of getting points at each game for 3 games in a row now. Next game away to Clermont is gonna be tough from that perspective though. And the next home game against Bayonne will be VITAL !

Montpellier helped them a bit by beating Bayonne without letting them the LBP despite messing up the game completely 15 min to the end (it actually could have cost us the victory): Bayonne got a YC and while we were clearly on top and comfortably ahead (32-19) we chose to kick a penalty instead of going to score a try to try and get the WBP. I don't know who decided this stupid decision but he should be burned naked in the middle of Place de la Comédie biggrin.gif. Because as a result of this loser attitude, Bayonne came back in the game and Huget scored a magnificient (though a little fortunate) 80 m try from a genius inspiration. Anyway we finally secured the win but this WBP we didn't (even try to) get could be critical come the end of the season...

Especially when Castres played a fantastic game in Toulouse only losing by 7 points. They lead for most of the game but Toulouse scored 2 tries in the last 10 min to get away with the win. Cracking game !

Racing struggled to get a second tough victory in a row. In spite of all the recent messing at the club between players and staff, they're still in good position for HC & play-off place. Stade Francais too after a WBP victory over Lyon which seems to condemn the latter to go back down in Pro D2.

A good second half with 2 tries got Clermont a tough victory in Agen and a 11 pts margin over Toulon. I think they pretty much secured a top 2 spot by now.

Finally Biarritz got an important second victory in a row (without the WBP this time but still). 2 home games = 9 points. Yachvilli being responsible for... let's say 8.5 of these 9 pts... Blanco's influence is a disgrace to sportsmanship (he's probably the only one capable of dictating the national coach who he can take and who he can not ... rolleyes.gif) but in the end it's probably a good thing to keep at top level such a historical rugby place as Biarritz (even if up to now this year they don't especially deserve it).

& now ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!! biggrin.gif

VENDU-TRAITRE-POURRI!!!!!!!!!! et tu oses dire "allez les bleus"????????

Tu defends le gros Merde qui est Serge B??????

Je ne suis pas français mais la c'est le pompom!

Translation= I'm not french but that is disgracefull! typical bloody frog btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be fair, Biarritz Rugby supporters are fantastic.

Been to a good few of their games, in the Aguilera and in Donastia, and they have been brilliant atmospheres and great craic.

Would be a travasty to see them go down, whatever you think about Serge Blanco.

They really have gone off the rails with some of their signings however.

They had a period of signing English has-beens... or never was'.
    Balshaw, Lund and Eirinle!

Far cry from the glory days of 2006.

Traille, Lievermont (not the crazy one, his brother), Brusque, Bobo, Dusatoir, Harinordoquy, Betsen, Yachvili, Thion.

Some team.

Really hope they stay up.

You misunderstood and misinterpreted me completely mate ;). By the sentence you put in bold I meant exactly what DDC1990 said.

Biarritz deserve to go down this year from what they showed up to now. But my total disapproval of fat Blanco's attitude won't translate in animosity towards Biarritz club (players, staff, supporters).

Biarritz has given great players to the French team and for example today Harinordoquy was probably our best man on the pitch against England. Lagisquet (Biarritz coach) has never refused to try and help France staff despite Biarritz awkward position in Top 14.

The only disgrace in Biarritz is Blanco who thinks he is God in terms of rugby in France.

A little fast to generalise from a misunderstood statement isn't it ;) ?

- Edit -

I understand better now your other post in the France-England thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

This game must have been a belter:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Biarritz's revival continues. 15-14 win at home to Clermont, really ground out the win.

Bayonne deserve to go down. Perpignan, who are poison this year, are thumping them 45-9 currently. Rokocoko, Phillips, Huget, Boyet, Tialata, Flavell and Heymans are all playing. Brive and Biarritz both winning which will leave them 6 points adrift with only 4 games left. I wonder what the situation is going to be for all those stars if and when they're relegated.

• Advertisement

Complete screw up by referee and TMO in the Stade vs Toulouse. Parisse went over after team mate took out a defender to make the hole. Referee saw something but went to TMO incorrectly (ball was grounded perfectly and clearly). TMO called it back for a penalty due to the block off the ball. Never had the right to make that decision.

16-15 to Toulouse but Stade have them on the ropes. Contepomi very lively. He's still electric.

GerM wrote: »
    BiarritzBlanco's revival continues. 15-14 win at home to Clermont, really ground out the win.
    FYP :pac:. Seriously though the try refused to Fofana will be another straw on Blanco's team's back... :rolleyes:

Massive massive win for USAP today. Bayonne has 1 foot and a half in Pro D2.
    Huge victory for Brive against Toulon in the perspective of saving their place in Top 14.
    Epic last 10 min gave Montpellier the WBP which could be critical for a top 4 position.
    Racing got a critical win against Castres yesterday for a play-off position...

Top 14 is really fascinating this year. The battles for play-off and against relegation are still lively and epic.

Crazy considering some of Bayonne's big names: Tialata, Phillips, Rokocoko, Heymans et al

Crazy considering some of Bayonne's big names: Tialata, Phillips, Rokocoko, Heymans et al

Names & big paychecks don't make a team in rugby any more than in soccer. You just have to look at the rabble in Toulon

Biarritz's revival continues.

"Orchestrated" revival.
    Via a few well placed phone calls from one S.B.

-Yachvili gets called up to the national XV but gets "back pains". Lumbago to be precise. That did not stop him playing for BO. BO gain precious pts.
    In the meantime Julian Dupuy, AIL level at best nowadays, gets an extra cap or two.
    -National team in sh1t, no league games for the last 6N WE & Yach' gets the call. France give their best 'perf of the 6N despite losing.
    15-14 win at home to Clermont, really ground out the win.

I must assume by your comments that you didn't see the game. Just two points (of many).
    -Totally unjustified yellow card for JM Buttin.
    -Valid try by Fofana refused for an imaginary forward pass.

I have remarked oftentimes posters bemoaning the structures of the IRFU. They are but boyscouts compared to the LNR. (btw the LNR is the tail that wags the dog that is the FFR)

The 'ref was never going to allow anything bar a BO win.

Top 14 is really fascinating this year. The battles for play-off and against relegation are still lively and epic.

I don't agree my friend. I would say that the competition is totally skewered/tronqué/falsefied by 12 "doublons" WC & 6N.

Agen & Brive, possibly UBB are the teams who don't have a future in the T14 longterm.

LOU may go down but they will be back. They have the economic "bassin/infrastructure" to survive at the top. The others mentoned do not.

I must assume by your comments that you didn't see the game. Just two points (of many).
    -Totally unjustified yellow card for JM Buttin.
    -Valid try by Fofana refused for an imaginary forward pass.

Caught the last 20 minutes or so. The Fofana decision was incorrect. I thought Biarritz scrapped really well though and took their chances. Not many sides from from behind in the closing stages to win against Clermont. They put their bodies on the line and, whilst fortuitous in some big decisions, showed a lot of guts and got the result.

Complete screw up by referee and TMO in the Stade vs Toulouse. Parisse went over after team mate took out a defender to make the hole. Referee saw something but went to TMO incorrectly (ball was grounded perfectly and clearly). TMO called it back for a penalty due to the block off the ball. Never had the right to make that decision.

Don't know about the rest of world but he does have that right in France.
    In the T14 the 'ref can call on the TMO on any incident either on or over the try line & within 5 metres of the line. For example if the block was 6 metres out the try would have been given.
    16-15 to Toulouse but Stade have them on the ropes. Contepomi very lively. He's still electric.

:pac: Just wiped my first reply when the lightbuld went on above my head :D

I thought you had lost the plot completely with your post but I've got it now lol!.

In France noone refers to Paris as "Stade", now & again as Stade Francais but thats rare.
    There is only ONE "Stade" - Toulouse - but I suppose when the English & Irish press can't get that right I can understand the confusion :pac:

Nevermind, I got a laugh anyways :p

Btw what did you think of Cencus' chip kick for himself? he very nearly collected it too! Priceless :D

Don't know about the rest of world but he does have that right in France.
    In the T14 the 'ref can call on the TMO on any incident either on or over the try line & within 5 metres of the line. For example if the block was 6 metres out the try would have been given.

Very interesting. Didn't know that. I know he doesn't have that right in international rugby either.

4PP wrote:
    Btw what did you think of Cencus' chip kick for himself? he very nearly collected it too! Priceless :D

Alas, I missed it. Watching T14 on bad, internet feeds means I miss bits and pieces! Seemed to be doing well in the scrum though. Toulouse were destroying them there. Stan Wright is a loose head that can cover tight. Cheika needs to stop putting him at 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone heard about the Willie Mason twitter mess? Pretty hilarious stuff, considering his excuses for some of the tweets coming out of his account.

Anyway looks like Toulon have released him. Total flop.... Pity, he looked pretty good in that Barbar's game.

Advertisement