Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco 4 Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll find Dunnes and Supervalue objecting to planning permission is far more affective for them then facebook :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a fan of tesco. They have killed numerous town centres in uk and will do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I don't think tesco is as good value as people think bar their special offers. But i still think that their presence in kilkenny would be a good thing, plenty of people including myself use the online delivery or drive to carlow to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

were'nt tesco supposed to be interested in the empty building's up beside woodies but the planning laws say food cant be sold there or something stupid like that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Not a fan of tesco. They have killed numerous town centres in uk and will do the same here.
    My god, monsters!
    How many were killed, was it quick and did they use kitchen implements that were on special offer.
    Don't worry, even if they do get here our government will use our taxes, like they did to prop up zombie banks and insurance outfits, to subsidise the former monopolists.

yawn.

I've started shopping in Tesco in Carlow already so what difference does it make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

As if a facebook group ever achieved anything.

I would have preferred Tesco in McDonagh junction instead of Dunnes, but we're here now. I'm not sure Kilkenny needs another supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

zootroid wrote: »
    As if a facebook group ever achieved anything.

I would have preferred Tesco in McDonagh junction instead of Dunnes, but we're here now. I'm not sure Kilkenny needs another supermarket.
    The bank accounts of rage against the machine say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

mousehouse wrote: »
    Kilkenny is still the only county in the country with no Tesco and I really think we have to ask why...

We know why cus Dunnes has blocked them time and time again. Really not a massive deal as the one in Carlow will deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

catbear wrote: »
    My god, monsters!
    How many were killed, was it quick and did they use kitchen implements that were on special offer.
    Don't worry, even if they do get here our government will use our taxes, like they did to prop up zombie banks and insurance outfits, to subsidise the former monopolists.

yawn.

I've started shopping in Tesco in Carlow already so what difference does it make?

You make a point, and for that i commend you. Still laughing at the fabulous kitchen implement gag even now. So much so, it woke me and just had to check my rib cage was still in tact, it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My god, monsters!

yawn.

So your response to the whole tesco debate is a ilthought out pointless response that has no basis in fact, Tesco isn't all its cracked up to be.

If you think Tesco is the cheapest supermarket overall and is the be all and end all of everything I'm afraid your mistaken

The bank accounts of rage against the machine say yes.

Thats hardly a real impact in the world,
    Given that Sony Music owned both rage against the machine and that x-factor guy they won either way, so it changed nothing in reality as it only had the "perception" of change.

• Advertisement

Heh Cabaal

What about the post I was responding to, did it have enough facts for you?

Competition is good, Tesco does not provide all I need but even with fuel included it makes more sense to drive to Carlow than do the same shop in Kilkenny.

If however you prefer that I shop in Dunnes and Superquinn in Kilkenny then I'll happily let you subsidise the extra expense of doing so, just send me your bank account details.

Economy does not seem to be your central concern so there we could agree to differ. Without knowledge of my shopping requirements your criticism seems subjugated to a unexplained prejudice. Care to enlighten us?

Monopolies can be bad for society. There's a very good chapter in Adams Smiths Wealth of Nations on the subject. I highly recommend a read of it if you seek more meat on the matter.

Competing ideas are good too, or do you disagree?

BTW, that Rage Against the Machine incident, although slight, has far greater implications for how society uses new media to effect change to the perceived established forms. Who owns the revenue stream from the incident was never the point.

BTW, that Rage Against the Machine incident, although slight, has far greater implications for how society uses new media to effect change to the perceived established forms. Who owns the revenue stream from the incident was never the point.

It was the point if Sony pushed for the compaign to be created, but that we'll never know.

In relation to the shopping whats wrong with Aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dooferoaks wrote: »

Dey tuk our jawbs!

Cabaal, I never mentioned Aldi so why do you imagine that I think there's anything wrong with them?

This thread is about the absence of a Tesco in Kilkenny.

Why are you prevaricating?

I concur with your point about Sony, we may never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

To save people having to look it up

Prevaricating

• A lie (also called prevarication, falsehood) is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement, especially with the intention to ...
    • prevaricate - beat around the bush: be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or withhold information
    • Deviation from what is right or correct; transgression, perversion; Evasion of the truth; deceit, evasiveness; Evasiveness as a means of playing for time; procrastination, hesitancy

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Sesquipedalian

Definition: Given to the use of long words.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I hate verisimilitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Good use of your thesaurus!... Did that come free with your computer like mine did??

Sometimes I use it on boards to make me appear intelligent!

It's been an oft expressed view on the Kilkenny Forum that poverty of thought has led to the kind of planning decisions that leave us with two Dunnes and no Tesco.

To typify that poverty of thought, the last few posts were exemplary!

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Volcanic turbine 9.99 in tesco today whoopppee

It's been an oft expressed view on the Kilkenny Forum that poverty of thought has led to the kind of planning decisions that leave us with two Dunnes and no Tesco.

To typify that poverty of thought, the last few posts were exemplary!

Well done.

and that's no word of a prevarication... :D

Indubitably!

"I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

So whats happening to the old mart site?
    Tesco usually insist on a stand alone site with free parking,now we couldnt have free parking, what would that do to Dunnes and superquinn?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They will be queuing at the Borough council offices to lodge their objections.

Advertisement