Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike, something sporty

• 13-04-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Is anyone familiar with the Megelli 125r? There's a 2010 one for sale @ €3,500
    I think it's damn sexy :D but apparently somewhat unreliable? :eek:
    Plus only 11bhp but would I need any more than that starting off???
    Would a Honda cbr125r be a better bet? (€2,800 for a 2010 model)
    Or an Aprillia? I only like the sporty look so the upright types wouldn't appeal to me. Any advice would be great!
    megelli_125_r_G3.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Is anyone familiar with the Megelli 125r? There's a 2010 one for sale @ €3,500
    I think it's damn sexy :D but apparently somewhat unreliable? :eek:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    Would a Honda cbr125r be a better bet? (€2,800 for a 2010 model)

Much better bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

y defo go with the CBR i have one myself, it has never let me done once really nice to drive and just a wonderful bike all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Speaking from experience, my first bike was a CBR 250R. And looking back, it was probably a little too potent a machine to learn on. I did my lessons on a CB 250 and I thought "Ah sure, the CBR 250R is just the same but with a sporty look". It was definitely not the same thing.

My instructor advised me to get a 250 because (and I quote) "A 125 wouldn't pull the skin off a rice puddin'". I've been using that phrase ever since. :D

If you're using it as a learning experience though and don't plan on doing long journeys, then the CBR 125R is ideal. Reliable (Honda build quality is second to none), cheap to insure, easy to learn on, great looks, etc.

Just my €0.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KenmareGirl

Well I originally wanted to get a Honda cbr250rr but was told Id have to import it from England, and I see the second-hand ones are quite expensive. And the 125s have dropped in price by nearly a grand recently! Sweet!

Well I originally wanted to get a Honda cbr250rr but was told Id have to import it from England, and I see the second-hand ones are quite expensive. And the 125s have dropped in price by nearly a grand recently! Sweet!

Import from England? I thought there were loads of RRs for sale in Ireland. They were never originally sold in Europe so *all* of the 250RRs and 250Rs are Japanese imports. There were boat-loads of them shipped over to Ireland. I know when I was looking for one (this is about 8 years ago now), every bike shop I went to had loads of them for sale.

They are pricey though, but they do tend to keep their value. The 250RR was a much nicer bike. It had twin brake discs at the front (the R had only one disc) and it had a banana shaped swingarm which looked hot!

I miss my 250R!:(

• Advertisement

alanmc wrote: »
    Import from England? I thought there were loads of RRs for sale in Ireland. They were never originally sold in Europe so *all* of the 250RRs and 250Rs are Japanese imports. There were boat-loads of them shipped over to Ireland. I know when I was looking for one (this is about 8 years ago now), every bike shop I went to had loads of them for sale.

They are pricey though, but they do tend to keep their value. The 250RR was a much nicer bike. It had twin brake discs at the front (the R had only one disc) and it had a banana shaped swingarm which looked hot!

I miss my 250R!:(

Sat on one in Cityspares a few months ago, nice bike.

Yeah .... it had its feubles though.

Difficult to start sometimes. Full choke and 1/4 twist and a good few tries on the starter button. She then needed to be warmed up good and proper before take-off.

The rearsets were set up really high as well. Good for cornering, but on long journeys I'd get a cramp in my left ankle every time.

But a very enjoyable bike to own. It was a sad day when it had to go.

KenmareGirl: I've changed my mind, get yourself a 250RR and give it to me for a weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

cbr125r is still an upright bike... just with fairings

same as the ninja 250

every bike shop I went to had loads of them for sale

I must be going to the wrong bike shops then! ;) Unless it has changed since then? I've been told in a few different places to more or less forget about them as they are hard to get!:confused:

They are about twice the price as the 125s as far as I know, but yeah they are fab!

KenmareGirl: I've changed my mind, get yourself a 250RR and give it to me for a weekend :D
    Hmm nice try alanmc! :D Join the queue!
    Wossack wrote: »
    cbr125r is still an upright bike... just with fairings
    same as the ninja 250

You are probably right, I'm no expert on bikes! Just felt like I was kind of hunched over a bit, so probably sporty enough for what I'm looking for! I just checked out the Ninja 250, are Kawasaki 250s more expensive than Honda 250s (in general) ? I'm guessing yes, and just dont want to spend too much on a first bike as Im sure I'll fall a few times at the start!

Might just stick with the 125s for now... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Be sure to factor in the insurance costs, they tend to be higher on the sporty 125/250 machines.

Ring Quinn, AON, Carol Nash and Adelaide to get quotes from all of them. Be sure you're sitting down when doing this! :eek:

colm_c wrote: »
    Be sure to factor in the insurance costs, they tend to be higher on the sporty 125/250 machines.

Even on the 125s? That's crazy.
    Yeah Ill try Quinn first, they might do a deal as I already have car insurance with them... and they will need my business at the moment me thinks!

Guess I should worry about buying a bike first though :D

I'll keep looking and visit a few more show-rooms in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah Ill try Quinn first, they might do a deal as I already have car insurance with them... and they will need my business at the moment me thinks!

Even on a 125.

I think it's 10% off for existing customers, definitely get a quote before you buy a bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

try an nsr 125 sure. See what ya think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

you could go for a baby ninja.

kawasaki-ninja-250r-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

I'd agree with alanmc, start on a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250.

seanybiker wrote: »
    try an nsr 125 sure. See what ya think
    You should know as that's what yer riding these days. Still a big step up from the old Honda 50 :).

I went straight onto Honda CB400, works for me :cool:

hobochris wrote: »
    you could go for a baby ninja.

kawasaki-ninja-250r-1.jpg
    LOVE the ninja! Wow. And checked out the nsr as well, also lovely (Thanks seaniebiker)
    SlabMurphy wrote: »
    I'd agree with alanmc, start on a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250.

Ok Im starting to think that I'll have another look at the 250s, it's very hilly where I live as well so the Honda cbr125 just mightn't cut it! As for moving onto a 4,5 or 600?! That's not going to happen! Sure I'm only a lightweight! :D

The insurances on the bikes mentioned are all coming in around the same (Ive only inquired with Quinn for the moment) and bearing in mind that it's only a provisional license at the mo... €400 3rd party/ €700-750 fully comp and not much difference between the 125s and 250s.

LOVE the ninja! Wow. And checked out the nsr as well, also lovely (Thanks seaniebiker)

Ok Im starting to think that I'll have another look at the 250s, it's very hilly where I live as well so the Honda cbr125 just mightn't cut it! As for moving onto a 4,5 or 600?! That's not going to happen! Sure I'm only a lightweight! :D

The insurances on the bikes mentioned are all coming in around the same (Ive only inquired with Quinn for the moment) and bearing in mind that it's only a provisional license at the mo... €400 3rd party/ €700-750 fully comp and not much difference between the 125s and 250s.
    " it's very hilly where I live " Yeah I'd say Kenamre and south Kerry would be a very scenic place to bike around. I'd imagine the roads would be pretty good thru the scenic areas for the tourists etc Gotta get down to Kerry and do some biking and drinking - or should that be drinking and biking :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

nsr125's are pretty tall iirc (?)

Yeah I'd say Kenmare and south Kerry would be a very scenic place to bike around.

Yeah up over Moll's Gap into Killarney, the scenery is amazing, cycled it on a push-bike in an hour...would probably take me 2 hours on a motorbike for fear of driving over the cliff :D I'd really get a good view of the rugged terrain then..against my face, ouch! :eek:
    I'd imagine the roads would be pretty good thru the scenic areas for the tourists etc
    Hmm yeah you'd imagine that wouldn't you....:rolleyes:
    get down to Kerry and do some biking and drinking - or should that be drinking and biking :eek: :D
    Better go with the biking and then drinking option, if you go with drinking and biking you might end up drinking and Hiking...when the bike is impounded haha!

Whatever you decide KenmareGirl, let us know and throw up a few photos if you can.

For some inspiration, here's a pic of my old cibby.

cbr250R.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

All lovely bikes But did you get an insurance quote yet for a 125cc :D

Hearing scary prices in that regard!

Whatever you decide KenmareGirl, let us know and throw up a few photos if you can.

Will do!
    Fiskar wrote: »
    All lovely bikes But did you get an insurance quote yet for a 125cc :D

Hearing scary prices in that regard!

€412 3rd party for a 125 and all the fully comp prices were about 700-750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Not bad prices Kenmare Girl at all. have heard 3 times those prices for a chap in Dubbyland!

Best of luck

For some inspiration, here's a pic of my old cibby.

cbr250R.jpg
    Tasty bike, nice. What year was it ?

Tasty bike, nice. What year was it ?

Ah, she was an old bird. '89 I think.

I absolutely loved it though. When I got used to it, it was *alot* of fun. Absolutely no power below about 10k revs, but between 14k and 18k, it really came into its own. The MC19 (which was mine) revved to 18.5k, but the MC22 (i.e. the CBR 250 RR) revved even higher (above 19k I think). Little screamers. My current GSXR 600 tops out at 14.5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I went straight onto Honda CB400, works for me :cool:

What he said.

Superfour's are bulletproof, light and a great bike.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    What he said.

Superfour's are bulletproof, light and a great bike.

They are.

Not quite enough power to get it on the back wheel much though :(

Advertisement