Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ready mix concrete,how much

• 13-04-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi.hoping to lay a concrete foundation for a shed (13ft x 11ft),shed is only used for garden stuff and kids toys,i suppose 4 inches in depth would be enough.Anyone know how much ready mix concrete would be for this.i worked it out at 1.80 cubic metres i need,not sure if ive done that right.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just phone up the concrete companies, they'll give you the exact figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    You might be better to go with 6" deep x 25 nuton, if you are not putting in steel.
    most concrete companies have a minimum order of 3 mtr's, so if you are paying for it you might as well use it.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭tjalana

thanks ccsolar,what if there is concrete left over in their truck,do they take it away with them or do you have to take what is ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

See if you can get a Minimix truck these carry 3m2 I have a local guy I have used a few times and he is perfect for this kind of job, just enough and the truck is small enough that it can get to places that the bigger trucks can't get into.

HI tjalana
    The concrete company will take away any excess concrete and of course re-sell it to the next guy.
    If the measurements for concrete are correct there should be less than 1/2m left over.
    Would you not consider putting in the floor of the shed on the same day?
    Also CJ has a very good idea with the minimix if you can get 1 in your area.

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

tjalana wrote: »
    Hi.hoping to lay a concrete foundation for a shed (13ft x 11ft),shed is only used for garden stuff and kids toys,i suppose 4 inches in depth would be enough.Anyone know how much ready mix concrete would be for this.i worked it out at 1.80 cubic metres i need,not sure if ive done that right.thanks

13 feet = 3.9624 M
    11 feet = 3.3528 M
    4 Inches = 0.1016M

1.35 M

As someone else suggested though, consider going to the 6 inches. 4 Inches isn't much for a foundation, would be grand for a floor. This would Bring it up to the 2 M mark.

Some depots have minimum delivery amounts, but chance your arm in this climate, i'd say they would deliver 2 M.

ccsolar wrote: »
    HI tjalana
    The concrete company will take away any excess concrete and of course re-sell it to the next guy.
    If the measurements for concrete are correct there should be less than 1/2m left over.
    Would you not consider putting in the floor of the shed on the same day?
    Also CJ has a very good idea with the minimix if you can get 1 in your area.

CC

How do you reckon he puts the floor in on the same day?

13 feet = 3.9624 M
    11 feet = 3.3528 M
    4 Inches = 0.1016M

1.35 M

How do you reckon he puts the floor in on the same day?

Well, he could put in a raft.

How did you get 1.35m of concrete?
    What width is the foundation?

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Is it a base for a steel or timber shed as opposed to a foundation for a block build?

Well, he could put in a raft.

How did you get 1.35m of concrete?
    What width is the foundation?

CC

Yeah im just waking up now :D

I was wondering how it differed so much!!

I now calculate it as just over half a metre

working on 13 X 11

with a width of 1 foot and a depth of 4 inches.

Going with 6 inches, it would work out at .85 of a metre.

Forgive me and tell me i'm right on that one :o

In terms of a raft would he not need to be spending a good bit of money on materials for forming that?

I suppose other than that we need to know what the shed is made of, im assuming its going to be made from concrete blocks.

try again

13x2 + 11x2 = 4 walls x depth x width = ? :confused:

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

14.6304 x 0.1524 x 0.3048 = 0.679 m3

try again

13x2 + 11x2 = 4 walls x depth x width = ? :confused:

CC

well if the width is a foot say, you can knock 2 foot of the length off one of the sides for the overlap.

so 13 +13 + 9 + 9 = 44

X width (im taking a foot )

X depth (im taking 6 inches )

= .81 cubic yards

which is .62 in metres

cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

well if the width is a foot say, you can knock a foot of the length off one of the sides for the overlap.

so 13 +13 + 10 + 10 = 46

X width (im taking a foot )

X depth (im taking 6 inches )

= .85
    If you convert all your feet to meters and do the sum the answer is 14.0208 x 0.3048 x 0.1524 = 0.651
    You must be converting your inches wrong.
    I don't know where ccsolar is getting over 2 m3 maybe hes tired.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you convert all your feet to meters and do the sum the answer is 14.0208 x 0.3048 x 0.1524 = 0.651
    You must be converting your inches wrong.
    I don't know where ccsolar is getting over 2 m3 maybe hes tired.

Yeah i got that sorry :)

I forgot to change back to metres at the end! plus i've knocked off a little bit for the overlap now.

It's been that long since i worked in imperial, i thought it was illegal anyways :)

I think we'll agree that it is .65 or so finally :D

Advertisement