Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New from IE

• 13-04-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭

Cherck this out, manky or what!

2700 in the new 22k colour scheme. they've removed the connector from the front mid cab. the yellow full end is horrid

4481249289_5136e57a5b.jpg

where's the vomit smiley

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I have to admit, apart from the full yellow end I quite like that livery on the 2700.*

*I now resign from my short membership at boards.ie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

2700 in the new 22k colour scheme. they've removed the connector from the front mid cab. the yellow full end is horrid

where's the vomit smiley

I thought this pic had already appeared in another thread? Anyway the livery is not only ghastly but totally unserviceable and a one trip out of the Works and it will be stained with breakdust - a bit like the DDs, the 22000s etc.
    What's this 2700 for anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I thought this pic had already appeared in another thread? Anyway the livery is not only ghastly but totally unserviceable and a one trip out of the Works and it will be stained with breakdust - a bit like the DDs, the 22000s etc.
    What's this 2700 for anyway? :confused:

i didn't notice it in another thread but have lost interest in the two that are going in circles :P

I would presume its the first of a class wide repaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Why remove the gangways though? I hope they don't do this to 2751 and 2753 otherwise they will be truely bubble cars then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Apart from the front (too much yellow?) the livery looks okay...but indeed you do have the question the logic in taking off the front gangway, I'd say that will reduce their operational flexibility a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

where's the vomit smiley
    The yellow front is very British.

jat_205001.jpg

Actually come to think of it the yellow front is effectively the same as they have on the Commuter 26/27/28 trains, it just looks overwhelming on this as it has no gangway to break it up.

for limerick galway apparently, maybe to confuse those poor boggers into thinking they're shiny new 22k's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

for limerick galway apparently, maybe to confuse those poor boggers into thinking they're shiny new 22k's :D

No not to confuse. Just to put the sets out on the WRC as "intercity". (which in its own funny quaint way, is what it is) But its only short term. 22Ks will be heading west once the "surplus" stock arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why remove the gangways though? I hope they don't do this to 2751 and 2753 otherwise they will be truely bubble cars then.

Going on the positioning of the windows at the other end, that looks like it IS a 275x.

MYOB wrote: »
    Going on the positioning of the windows at the other end, that looks like it IS a 275x.

I've been looking at it trying to decide, I think the overhang on the near end is much longer and therefore is half of a 2700 rather than a 2750 as this is symmetrical. Also window differences on both ends, but this could be the toilet.

the site where i picked up the picture also said 2700, pity you can't see the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could there be a practical reason for the yellow front? Like high visibility perhaps?

flazio wrote: »
    Could there be a practical reason for the yellow front? Like high visibility perhaps?

exactly why. same in the UK, though how you'd fail to notice a train and only see it cos its yellow is beyond me.
    Most of our trains these days are full yellow ends, but on 2700 & 2800 this was broken by the gangway surrounds. 201, 071 and 29k have full yellow effectively.

DARTs have smaller yellow frontings and 22k haven't which is odd.

Perhaps CIE/IE are going to pioneer gangway removal on all their railcars? It would stop the aimless milling about of people looking for seats and stop kids running up and down the train. :D

exactly why. same in the UK, though how you'd fail to notice a train and only see it cos its yellow is beyond me.
    Most of our trains these days are full yellow ends, but on 2700 & 2800 this was broken by the gangway surrounds. 201, 071 and 29k have full yellow effectively.

Remember the Enterprise DVTs got full yellow front ends, thankfully that didn't last long because of the new livery.

On the 201s, it depends. 206, 209 and 230 still have the old Enterprise livery with the small yellow panel, 208 is the only 201 in the new Enterprise livery and it's darker than before with the ends and only a small yellow panel.

I don't see the point of the yellow ends because at a distance the headlights effectively block out what colour the train coming towards you actually is day or night.

Thinks back to the mid '90s when the 2600s first showed up on the Northern line with their all black ends and red gangway door.:)

Perhaps CIE/IE are going to pioneer gangway removal on all their railcars? It would stop the aimless milling about of people looking for seats and stop kids running up and down the train. :D

It's just them trying to pass the 2700s off as 22ks even more. The 22ks don't have gangways at the cab ends either.:D

Or else they are afraid if the accident when the 2700 6 car set on the Rosslare line split apart a few years back. IE had alot of trouble with the 2700s after that. I remember standing in Connolly one day looking over at the loco shed. There were lots of IE staff standing around on the tracks looking at 2 2700 sets trying to couple up but the auto couplers just would not work. I watched for about 30mins as they tried to get a 4 car and 2 car 2700 together in any sort of combination. It was only a few months later when they were all sent off to Cork and Limerick to work as 2 car sets only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Or else they are afraid if the accident when the 2700 6 car set on the Rosslare line split apart a few years back. IE had alot of trouble with the 2700s after that. I remember standing in Connolly one day looking over at the loco shed. There were lots of IE staff standing around on the tracks looking at 2 2700 sets trying to couple up but the auto couplers just would not work. I watched for about 30mins as they tried to get a 4 car and 2 car 2700 together in any sort of combination. It was only a few months later when they were all sent off to Cork and Limerick to work as 2 car sets only.

I would say that is exactly why it is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

DWCommuter wrote: »
    No not to confuse. Just to put the sets out on the WRC as "intercity". (which in its own funny quaint way, is what it is) But its only short term. 22Ks will be heading west once the "surplus" stock arrives.
    they cant use them awful commuter sheds on a two hour journey surely?
    KC61 wrote: »
    I would say that is exactly why it is happening.
    we fix them but seperate them to hide the problem! until someone in a few years decides a six car set is required and due to the way important information is not passed on by staff in irish rail(viaduct incident) this will probably happen and lead to another incident!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they cant use them awful commuter sheds on a two hour journey surely?

Good enough for anybody stupid enough to travel on the WRC and, anyway, they can admire some of the new railway station architecture that you admire i.e. bare platforms and pallisade fencing. Knock everything down. :D

• Advertisement

maybe the WRC would have a few more passengers if the journey was more comfortable and less noisy?

and bare platforms costs less to maintain just as modern waiting rooms cost less to heat and maintain than big old victorian/georgian sheds and as long as people are not on the fiddle the saving should be passed on to customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

4481249289_5136e57a5b.jpg

where's the vomit smiley

I think I'm going to be 'Tom n' Dick'!

Although on the brightside (literally), It does give the paintshop something to do.... I'd say they're getting lonely with such a lack of proper Carriages and Loco's to paint!

Also, Looking at the photo, this appears to be the 'hybrid' set. The so-called 'Hybrid Set' was made out of a loose 2600 carriage they had lying spare in Inchicore, and a 2700 class vehicle that had been involved in an accident (if memory serves me correctly).....

If it is the Hybrid, the numbers are: 2609 + 2716.

"Anyway They're all Plastic on the inside....."

GM071class wrote: »
    Also, Looking at the photo, this appears to be the 'hybrid' set. The so-called 'Hybrid Set' was made out of a loose 2600 carriage they had lying spare in Inchicore, and a 2700 class vehicle that had been involved in an accident (if memory serves me correctly).....

If it is the Hybrid, the numbers are: 2609 + 2716.

"Anyway They're all Plastic on the inside....."

That would explain the removal of the gangway alright seeing as the hybrid set is not compatable to work with any other units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Cookie_Monster, tell me it's not true. You're right about one thing. It looks ridiculous. The 2700's are being classed as Intercity? Where did you get that photo?

That would explain the removal of the gangway alright seeing as the hybrid set is not compatable to work with any other units.

Not officially but it does work. ;)

Cookie_Monster, tell me it's not true. You're right about one thing. It looks ridiculous. The 2700's are being classed as Intercity? Where did you get that photo?

Here

via

here

Update from a man in the know on another forum
    It's not the hybird its 2718 or should i say 0227180 as it has on the cab front, the 02 and 0 are in smaller white numbers.All 27's to get rebuild the same with gangways gone and silver and green with black band at cab windows.

:( sneaky trying to renumber it like a 22k too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It would be helpful if you could put links to these sort of things....

KC61 wrote: »
    It would be helpful if you could put links to these sort of things....

same link as the post above it, its just another forum.
    here

• Advertisement

It would seem that the gangway doors on most of the 2700 and 2600 units have been locked off for the past 6 years, since the Rosslare incident. So removing the gangways is just making things easier for maintenance crews.

I don't know about the 2800s, but they do end up in formations with the 2600s on the Northern line before all the 2600s were moved to Cork. I always though the gangway/coupler issue was just with the 2700s.

It would seem that the gangway doors on most of the 2700 and 2600 units have been locked off for the past 6 years, since the Rosslare incident. So removing the gangways is just making things easier for maintenance crews.

I don't know about the 2800s, but they do end up in formations with the 2600s on the Northern line before all the 2600s were moved to Cork. I always though the gangway/coupler issue was just with the 2700s.

Any time I've travelled on a 2800 in the past few years the gangway doors were not locked. Indeed, the last time I travelled down to Wexford a trolley service used these gangways.

One another forum its mentioned that long numbers like this are part of a European numbering system...ridiculous I know there you are. So chopping of the 02 and the 0 leaves us with 2718.

They seem to have fixed up the yellow ends, they don't look too bad now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42173303@N08/4544519454/in/pool-712372@N25

What's going on with the new numbering system and why start on the 2700 units of all things.

What's going on with the new numbering system and why start on the 2700 units of all things.

I have to say, I quite like that livery. But what's with the irishrail.ie branding? Is is because it's not up to intercity standard and they don't want to throw Commuter on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Would you say now we'll probably see them new coloured 2700 trains down on the Waterford to Limerick line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Would you say now we'll probably see them new coloured 2700 trains down on the Waterford to Limerick line.

Not a hope. It will close first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Karsini wrote: »
    I have to say, I quite like that livery. But what's with the irishrail.ie branding? Is is because it's not up to intercity standard and they don't want to throw Commuter on it?

It looks really well! I am very surprised by how good it looks.

Am I correct in assuming that internally these 'wonderful' new railcars remain unaltered and the external cosmetic facelift is the only change? :confused:

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Not a hope. It will close first.
    They will buy some brand new railcars specifically for that line that cant be used anywhere else without serious modifications Then they will close the line!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It looks really well! I am very surprised by how good it looks.

I am not surprised how well it looks. Barry Kenny explained that "The drivers take utmost care of and treasure it with great pride and honour " , Barry additionally eulogised the new rolling stock thus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am not surprised how well it looks. Barry Kenny explained that "The drivers take utmost care of and treasure it with great pride and honour " , Barry additionally eulogised the new rolling stock thus.

"Tanchon Youth Service Brigade of Electric Engine under the Hamhung Railway Bureau"

Can we get these guys over here then?

"Tanchon Youth Service Brigade of Electric Engine under the Hamhung Railway Bureau"

Can we get these guys over here then?
    From the time it sounded the first whistle on the railway track of the country it has recorded praiseworthy feats, overfulfilling its quotas under the national economic plan every year in the forefront of the “drive for extra-haulage on schedule without accident to implement the decision of the 18th Plenary Meeting of the Fifth Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea”, a mass increased transport movement in the railway sector.
    why cant they just say "the lads got a bit of overtime"

joking aside though it does show the amount of pride both workers and management and technicians etc have in their national railways, if only that would ever be the case in ireland.

looks better than before with the black band.

Ther numbering, I assume will be based on xxx.yyy or 123 456 as per Italian lcocs and British DMU, EMU among others

foggy_lad wrote: »
    why cant they just say "the lads got a bit of overtime"

joking aside though it does show the amount of pride both workers and management and technicians etc have in their national railways, if only that would ever be the case in ireland.

It more likely shows that the workers, management etc are brainwashed and think all is rosy in the garden in their bankrupt, third world country - oops, I forgot we're talking about North Korea here. :D

at least they have a railway system they are proud of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Much better. I thought the first one was a piss take...:rolleyes:

Was RTDH the OP?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

"In Flames of Great Upsurge"

Barry is rather LoLoLoLoquacious today.
    The employees established the best records in production during the 150-day and 100-day campaigns last year. Now they are full of a determination to bring about a great improvement in production this year, too, by fully displaying the revolutionary spirit of self-reliance.

The managerial personnel strive to rationalize processes of producing and repairing locomotives through a mass technical innovation.

I am agog Barry.
    The workers of the electromotor workshop introduced the technical innovation schemes to guarantee the complete safety of products. Those of the casting workshop apply the self-made equipment including commutator bush.

On the other hand, the workers of the sheet metal processing workshop introduce the most rational cutting and welding methods, thus economizing on materials and carrying out the production of main body of a locomotive ahead of schedule.

The complex pushes ahead with the production of a new model locomotive as required by the developing times.

Great stuff dude, keep us up to date willya :p

The complex pushes ahead with the production of a new model locomotive* as required by the developing times.

:confused:

when was the last time they did anything but fix or overhaul stuff in Inchicore.

Rather rambling statement full of nothing there me thinks.

* or is this the boys creating a nice little model of their own? :pac::pac::pac:
    141_Running_Model-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can't believe they are they still retaining its origional assignment no.

This is a real give away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement