Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kona Jake the Snake

• 13-04-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

I've been thinking of getting a Kona Jake The Snake. I can get in on wiggle for €1,058.91 which seems to be the best price going. I looked in my lbs and it was for 1250 so id be getting it online. I commute from Cabinteely to Blanch everyday (mostly :) ) so im looking for something thats fast and sturdy, thatll take a bit of a battering and i can take for decent rides at the weekend.Does anybody have any views on the bike, or have any other recomendations, have up to 1250 to spend.

Thanks in advance

ohhh, im 5/11 the 56 should suit, that correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Similar thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882766 (different use type, admittedly).

DFD*

*DripForDrip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Unless you want to either

- race cross
    - tour
    - carry luggage
    - off road

I would get a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Something like this might be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You could get a cheap carbon fibre road bike for that money, but they're not ideal for commuting.

I bought a Kinesis Racelight as a "one bike that'll do everything". It will take a rack and mudguards, which is handy for year round use and commuting. Specced it with Veloce, nice bike though I didn't own it for very long.

There are other similar bikes for around the same money if you look hard enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Lo all,

I've been thinking of getting a Kona Jake The Snake. I can get in on wiggle for €1,058.91 which seems to be the best price going.

Is that including shipping? If so the price has gone down to 988euro including shipping on wiggle or are you looking at the 2010 model? It was the only one I could see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Thanks for all the replys, its a tough choice choosing a new bike. The last bike i got was a Klien pulse pro in 98. Its lasted me well but its time to get something new. The idea of a road bike is good, but im not sure if i want carbon for everyday use. Im sure ill choose another bike by the time i make my choice. I would be looking to put paniers on it for my trek to blanch, but taking them off at the weekends. Is there a massive differance between a cyclocross and a road bike? I could spend more if i thought it was getting something good.

There is a big difference between a cross and a road bike, yes.

If you don't need to take it off road or run very wide tyres for heavily loaded touring on awful roads I think you would be best off with an "audax" or "winter" bike- like the Racelight Lumen linked to. You can put rack and panniers on them but they are probably closer to a road bike in terms of handling and braking performance.

A lot of entry level road bikes will take a rack and panniers too for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

<snip>The last bike i got was a Klien pulse pro in 98. <snip>

I always liked the Klein bikes. If the bike is for commuting and taking a spin at the weekend, I'd buy a fast tourer/ audax bike.

If you've been doing the commute on the Klein, such a bike would be a big step up in terms of commuting time and enjoyment.

If you're not going to be racing, don't buy a racing bike. Do buy drops (if you're comfortable with that), but make sure it will take wide(r) tyres, mudguards, rack, etc. The cyclo cross approach isn't a bad one per se, but I think an audax or tourer would suit you better.

DFD*.

*DualFenderDefender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

OP: I was looking at the same dilemma... but my local bike shop let me try a cyclocross bike, and I realised it wasn't really what I want. Real world commuting won't be great on it, I suspect.

I ended up buying a second-hand tourer from England (hopefully! It hasn't arrived yet) but the back-up options were the Kona Honky Tonk http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Honky-Tonk-2010-Road-Bike_29695.htm or the Ridgeback Voyage http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12444&f_SupersetQRY=C440&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Perhaps something like this Charge bike would suit more. Nice looking and seems it would suit my needs more.

Good review of it here

• Advertisement

Perhaps something like this Charge bike would suit more. Nice looking and seems it would suit my needs more.

Good review of it here
    That certainly looks like a good option, yes.

Advertisement