Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does this scam work !

• 13-04-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a transmission for sale online and get this below e mail its obvoiusly some kinda scam just curious how it works or if I can have a little fun with them ! ;)

Hello,Thanks for the mail,How i wish to view the ITEM,but due to my
    job i cant make it cos am a sailor,busy sealing and presently now am
    in Bermuda coast in said ship...so i close to use PayPal because of
    the distance between us...and i will be making the Payment without any
    delaying...i hope you can read this mail an understand me
    better...please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy
    to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up...after you have set
    it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration
    with PayPal so as to put the money through. As for the pick up,my pick
    up agent will be accessing that and they will also be coming for the
    pick up immediately the payments have been made to you..Please send me
    your address so that my pick up agent can figure it out and come for
    the pick up and other necessary things after the payments have been
    made,they will also be coming with all the information needed,my
    details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by
    the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that.Send me your
    registered email address with PayPal so i can pay in

--

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Ask him to send you some pictures of his ship & of the Bermuda triangle!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

Make him pay you and quickly transfer money to your bank account so he cant get it back and then give him address :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭laois hibby

I had the very same email last week. for my 37 foot mobile home! told him where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Tell him that as the 10000th person to make an offer, he has just won the Irish/Nigerian lottery, and once he pays the small administration costs you will transfer all the monies to his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Whyme

Darsad wrote: »

,but due to my job i cant make it cos am a sailor,busy sealing and presently now am in Bermuda coast in said ship
    --

Perhaps the misspelling is stealing instead of sailing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tell him that as the 10000th person to make an offer, he has just won the Irish/Nigerian lottery, and once he pays the small administration costs you will transfer all the monies to his account.

ROFL :D
    Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Why not try a new sport.

Scambaiting

http://www.419eater.com/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

A friend was selling his car online and got this email. The sender stated he was on a ship and buying the car for his son as a suprise. Total scam!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Seeing as it's PayPal he wants to use, get the money transferred over and see what happens ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Seeing as it's PayPal he wants to use, get the money transferred over and see what happens ;)

I would imagine that the Paypal is for you to send money to him; he will probably offer to send you a "cheque" for more than the value of the part then ask you to return the balance via PayPal. (What was wrong with Western Union Money Transfer? - the Scammer's Favourite:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

baalthor wrote: »
    I would imagine that the Paypal is for you to send money to him; he will probably offer to send you a "cheque" for more than the value of the part then ask you to return the balance via PayPal. (What was wrong with Western Union Money Transfer? - the Scammer's Favourite:D)

Hello,Thanks for the mail,How i wish to view the ITEM,but due to my
    job i cant make it cos am a sailor,busy sealing and presently now am
    in Bermuda coast in said ship...so i close to use PayPal because of
    the distance between us...and i will be making the Payment without any
    delaying
    ...i hope you can read this mail an understand me
    better...please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy
    to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up...after you have set
    it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration
    with PayPal so as to put the money through
    . As for the pick up,my pick
    up agent will be accessing that and they will also be coming for the
    pick up immediately the payments have been made to you..Please send me
    your address so that my pick up agent can figure it out and come for
    the pick up and other necessary things after the payments have been
    made
    ,they will also be coming with all the information needed,my
    details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by
    the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that.Send me your
    registered email address with PayPal so i can pay in

--
    Read the bolded words :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

one of me mates is selling his motorbike to some one over in south africa working for the world cup, she is buying it for her son as a surprise birthday present. Me mate sent on all his details and has the bike down as sold on donedeal even though I told him its a scam. Lol

Read the bolded words :pac:

They don't always do as they promise in these emails just like in the other emails the sender might not really be a Nigerian prince who wants your help in transferring $100 million dollars out of the country. It's an email from a scammer after all and not a contract with a Financially Regulated banking institution. Although maybe that wasn't the best comparison ...

Anyway, the purpose of the email is to gain the mark's confidence and to give them a false sense of security. Having them think the scammer will send them money is a good way to do this. And of course this makes sense as he's supposed to be buying something.

I could be wrong though, maybe there's some way the scammer can send money via Paypal to the mark without the risk of losing money himself?

Sorry if your post was supposed to be ironic and it went over my head: it's 3.20 AM and I should be in bed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

i cant make it cos am a sailor,busy sealing and presently now am in Bermuda coast
    Cruel b*****d. Don't do business with him.
    harp-seal-baby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

baalthor wrote: »
    They don't always do as they promise in these emails just like in the other emails the sender might not really be a Nigerian prince who wants your help in transferring $100 million dollars out of the country. It's an email from a scammer after all and not a contract with a Financially Regulated banking institution. Although maybe that wasn't the best comparison ...

Anyway, the purpose of the email is to gain the mark's confidence and to give them a false sense of security. Having them think the scammer will send them money is a good way to do this. And of course this makes sense as he's supposed to be buying something.

I could be wrong though, maybe there's some way the scammer can send money via Paypal to the mark without the risk of losing money himself?

Sorry if your post was supposed to be ironic and it went over my head: it's 3.20 AM and I should be in bed by now.
    Hijacked account? Paypal will return the funds to the account as soon as its proven and BAM your left without the money. Dont see the point though, wheres the "gain" from the scam

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Hijacked account? Paypal will return the funds to the account as soon as its proven and BAM your left without the money. Dont see the point though, wheres the "gain" from the scam

Good point, that's why they prefer WU. The OP should play along and see what happens, then report back here :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

OP

I got these email before, Paypal never comes into it.
    If you send him your email address for paypal payment, Say you are selling you "item" for 1000euro he will send you an email back saying that he sent you 1500euro by mistake and that paypal are now holding the money in his account,He will try to get you to send him the balance via western union.

I played along with one of these clowns and gave him a false western union transfer number, Just to inconvience him so he looks like a fool when he goes to the western union office to withdraw the money

my reply emails usually end in verbally abusing him.

My advice...waste his time and play along with him, This will annoy him more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OP

I got these email before, Paypal never comes into it.
    If you send him your email address for paypal payment, Say you are selling you "item" for 1000euro he will send you an email back saying that he sent you 1500euro by mistake and that paypal are now holding the money in his account,He will try to get you to send him the balance via western union.

I played along with one of these clowns and gave him a false western union transfer number, Just to inconvience him so he looks like a fool when he goes to the western union office to withdraw the money

my reply emails usually end in verbally abusing him.

My advice...waste his time and play along with him, This will annoy him more
    But obviously dont reveal any real personal info, even your real email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Ok so ill try to play him a little ! Just sent the following !

Hi Todd

Thanks for the e mail

I already have a pay pal account under this e mail address.
    If you can make the payment as agreed that would be great.

I will have the item ready for collection by your agent
    and he can pick it up from my girlfriends pub she will be
    expecting his call.

Mary Lykes
    The Stickitwell Inn
    Tillet
    Herts
    B-IN- B469
    UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

forgot to mention that, it kind of goes without saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got the bermuda triangle email when I had car on carzone. I played along alittle. Said I wasnt sure how to use paypal & could he send me €500 cash to hold the car. I kept at this kind of crap & he kept replying too. I also said that things have a habit of disappearing in the bermuda triangle & that I wanted the 500 cash in case he disappeared. He still kept replying. I finally said that I had sold the car last week also to someone who sent me 2000 more than I was asking & wanted me to send back the extra cash but that I decided to just keep the money & sell it again.
    He was replying within minutes each time & the answers were proper responses to my queries not just automated crap so I figure this is a full time job for these guys.

Advertisement