Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lough Tonight

Options
  • 13-04-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

It was a nice evening so I decided to take a walk around The Lough. Lots of people milling about enjoying the evening sunshine.
    A few people fishing but there was these two guys who seemed to be fishing near The Hawthorn on an industrial level. They had a tent set up, cooking stove, about 10 rods in the water, a boat in the water and a net at least 40 foot long laid out in the grass. Any fish in The Lough would be gathered up in the space of a few hours.
    Anyone know the policy for fishing in The Lough. I saw signs saying that fish cannot be removed from The Lough so I suppose people are expected to throw fish back in if they catch any but these guys were there for what seemed like a commercial operation.
    Anyone else see them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

probably a stupid question, but are there any fish in the lough big enough to eat? seems odd:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I passed there last week and they were set up. This has been gettin on my nerves for years. I grew up around the lough and it's where i caught my first fish, a tiny little roach but i was well pleased.
    The lough as far as I know is re-stocked every year and without fail out come these dudes with loads of rods set up with electronic line movement detectors. It's not even fishing, all the do it cast out leave the line in and go sit in the tent till it beeps. They stay there over night. What is the purpose of this ?
    You see lots of kids out there tryin out some rod and reel kit from T.W Murrays or wherever, thats what fishing in the Lough should be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jenggg

Saw it too this evening. No idea what it was about but they had a big jeep parked up also which is unusual. It must be official in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The_Banker wrote: »
    It was a nice evening so I decided to take a walk around The Lough. Lots of people milling about enjoying the evening sunshine.
    A few people fishing but there was these two guys who seemed to be fishing near The Hawthorn on an industrial level. They had a tent set up, cooking stove, about 10 rods in the water, a boat in the water and a net at least 40 foot long laid out in the grass. Any fish in The Lough would be gathered up in the space of a few hours.
    Anyone know the policy for fishing in The Lough. I saw signs saying that fish cannot be removed from The Lough so I suppose people are expected to throw fish back in if they catch any but these guys were there for what seemed like a commercial operation.
    Anyone else see them?

The guys you talked about seem to be serious fishermen and more than likely not the type that would actually remove the fish from the lough for too long. The boat is simply to drop bait out where they are casting and once they start catching fish the 40 foot net is put in the water and any fish caught are put in it im assuming just to prove what they caught and are then put back.

You can fish anywhere except between roughly where the lights start in the water on each side. Basically because its the highest traffic area and would mean a lot of birds getting caught up etc etc. There's no real commercial gain out of fishing there as its mainly carp although there is a lot of other species too. The car themselves actually have a type of magget/parasite living in them which means they are pretty much inedible.
    They just had a lot more gear than the average joe who goes fishing there.. Wait for the summer to come and you'll see 20/25 of these guys there at a time.
    corkcomp wrote: »
    probably a stupid question, but are there any fish in the lough big enough to eat? seems odd:confused:
    There are some huge carp in the lough. Caught some myself and have seen others land some monsters there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

AFAIK they are just cataloging the fish in the lough, weight lenght etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

AFAIK they are just cataloging the fish in the lough, weight lenght etc.
    Yes they were checking that the carp in there are free from disease and transferable to other waters, more info @ carpfishingireland.com

nothing to worry about it's all official.

If thats the case they must do it every year. I've seen different groups of blokes set up tents and loads of rods there year in year out for as long as I can remember. Whilst the people there at the minute might be looking at the carp, there are loads of tents set up there every year. They usually set up on the lough road side,at the edge of the large green area closest to the lough church and over by the running club (now demolished).

Yes, it is, and those people in the bivvies (tents) are genuine carp anglers as it is one of the best places in Ireland to fish.

The massive gathering of Anglers wouldn't have anything got to do with the fact that you don't need a permit to fish the lough. ?

No not really, but that makes it easier for everybody to fish, but there is a great lack of carp fisheries in Ireland, the lough contains large carp, and is free to fish.

• Advertisement

As far as I know The Lough only contains coarse fish and no game fish (the ones you eat). I heard there have been a few specimen (record breaker) fish caught there in the distant past.

As far as I know The Lough only contains coarse fish and no game fish (the ones you eat). I heard there have been a few specimen (record breaker) fish caught there in the distant past.
    yes, and carp is the main quarry for anglers, which is a coarse fish.

mupchease wrote: »
    yes, and carp is the main quarry for anglers, which is a coarse fish.

I know - I was agreeing with you, and reassuring OP that the anglers were in all probability putting the fish back as there was no incentive to keep the fish (unless they illegally took a large carp for taxidermy).

Advertisement