Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schmap Dublin Guide

• 13-04-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi there, just got an email from Schmap asking for permission to display a photo from flickr in a guide to Dublin. Apparently the guide is free of charge to download. Has anybody else received an email from these guys and submitted a photo?? They claim the photos are clearly attributed..

These are some of the terms:

TERMS OF SUBMISSION

THESE TERMS OF SUBMISSION (THE “TERMS”) REPRESENT A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU, EITHER AN INDIVIDUAL PERSON OR A SINGLE LEGAL ENTITY (“YOU”), AND SCHMAP, INC. (“SCHMAP”). BY CLICKING THE “SUBMIT” BUTTON, YOU CONFIRM YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS.

1. PHOTOS
    The term "Photos" refers to one or more photographs and/or images licensed by You to Schmap pursuant to the Terms.

2. LICENSE GRANT
    Subject to the terms and conditions herein, You hereby grant Schmap a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license to include the Photos in the current and/or subsequent releases of Schmap's destination/local guides.

3. FAIR USE RIGHTS
    Nothing in these Terms is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.

4. LIMITATIONS
    The license granted in Section 2 above is made subject to and limited by the following express limitations:

(a) Schmap may only distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, and/or publicly perform the Photos pursuant to the Terms.

(b) Schmap shall be required to keep intact all copyright notices for the Photos and provide, reasonable to the medium or means of utilization, the name of the original author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means, and a credit (implemented in any reasonable manner) identifying the use of the Photos in any derivative Photos created by Schmap.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have a few in the paris guide... tbh other than the email i have never seen this guide anywhere, yes they are clearly attributed, my shots were silly ones from disneyland(my fetish for ariel went into over drive and they got chucked up.

Unless you think the photos are marketable... what ya got to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

A picture I took in London was selected for this year's.

Checked it out on the site when it was up, they have slide shows of images playing beside some text about an area on the map, and underneath each image is your name on Flickr and clicking either of these brings you to the image in your stream on Flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Schmap are ok!
    I've previously given them permission to use photos of Perth, WA.
    No problems, just increases your views on Flickr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

It's free of charge to download now. Will they be charging for it in the future. Do they make any money indirectly from displaying your pics. Ie, Through advertisement etc.....

If not, then I can't really see any problems. Maybe someone else with more experience in this area can weight in here with their toughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

I got the same email from them yesterday for their Edinburgh guide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loads of people i know have received mails requesting permission for shots. very handy way of getting imagery for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Or better still. Wait till they sell their company for millions to one of the bigger groups like Google or Microsoft. Do you think your copyright will be worth anything then? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Seems to be a bit of a mass image gathering haul going on alright - they requested one of mine too, I had a look at the site and at stuff they have up and they have credited people as the described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Trev M wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a mass image gathering haul going on alright - they requested one of mine too, I had a look at the site and at stuff they have up and they have credited people as the described.

Did you click on "Accept" or "Decline" though?!!!

oshead wrote: »
    Or better still. Wait till they sell their company for millions to one of the bigger groups like Google or Microsoft. Do you think your copyright will be worth anything then? :pac:

Yeah that is true alright, it does seem a bit cynical alright. There is no guarantee of them even using the photos as it seems, based on what I am reading, that many people have received this request. It is nice to be credited!......but who will look at it as I never heard of them before now?! Decisions decisions:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be very wary of handing over photos to an organisation i know nothing about, for free. they're not doing this out of a love of humankind, so why give them free content?

tororosso wrote: »
    Did you click on "Accept" or "Decline" though?!!!

I accepted - I know Im not doing anything special with my stuff, the picture itself is pretty lame with no other value to anyone to be honest. Its one pic in the grand scheme of things among a million other photos of the same area.

Im a hobbyist with limited ability with no illusions of setting the world on fire, if it means I get more interaction with people all the better if not no great loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They used a weird one of mine before. I didn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

They used one of my Red Panda shots for Dublin Zoo. Happy they asked and they do credit you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Yep, 4 or 5 of mine from the States were used. No problem giving them to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One of my Brussels shots went into the Schmap Brussels guide.

Recently, the e-zine from Air Canada asked permission to use another Brussels shot.

What's up with Brussels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

DK32 wrote: »
    They used one of my Red Panda shots for Dublin Zoo. Happy they asked and they do credit you as well.

My penguin shot is on there :D

I didn't mind them using it at all, obviously they did ask first - It was a shot from the zoo that nobody paid any attention to. I think it has one comment.

dudara wrote: »
    Recently, the e-zine from Air Canada asked permission to use another Brussels shot.
    did you grant it?
    this sort of stuff kinda sets my teeth on edge, for reasons which possibly aren't purely rational.

After all that I completely forgot to go back and verify it! Oh well, no loss really as they do come across as just trawling the net for images for free :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

tororosso wrote: »
    After all that I completely forgot to go back and verify it! Oh well, no loss really as they do come across as just trawling the net for images for free :rolleyes:

That is what they do, basically. But you do get credited and the used image does link back to your flickr account if clicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

did you grant it?
    this sort of stuff kinda sets my teeth on edge, for reasons which possibly aren't purely rational.

I have no problem with it. I don't make a living from photography - it's a pure hobby - and they've said I will be fully credited.

Just thought Id update , one of mine got used , confirmed a couple of weeks ago , Ive noticed a bump in visits. Just thought Id mention it in case anyone else was on the fence... at a min it will get some folks looking at your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

If they are making money by using your images, it’s only fair that you make money as well.

They are a private company funded by VC's and their business plan involves making money for themselves.

I think it is naive of people to work for such a corporation for free.

just say no.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've never been asked (very limited amount of stuff on flickr) but if I was I'd probably say NO!
    I'm just a hobbyist/amateur with no expectations of making money from my photography, but there are a lot of people out there who do depend on it.
    IMHO, the likes of me giving my images away for free to a large corporation may be depriving a pro tog of the chance to earn from his/her craft. If they're really interested in acquiring lots of images, why don't they buy them from one of the stock photo companies?
    Just my 2c worth on it!

Advertisement