Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary Collie!

Options
  • 13-04-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

I am new to boards.ie and just registered today although I have been reading the charlesland thread for some time - we have lived here for 2 years now and we love it!

However, I am have twice been attacked on the green when I am taking my little dog for a walk by the big collie that goes about. It is really scary and the only reason the dog went away the last time was because my husband was with me and he chased it away! I know that there have been several threads about this but I get the impression that people think that the dog is harmless and its kinda funny but it really is not funny when you are on your own and it is jumping up on you! Is scary.

I saw on some other threads that people have stopped walking in Charlesland with their dog because of this and I am thinking I will have to do them same, but I live here and we really enjoy our walks here.

I dont know what to do. It seems that all I can do is report it to the local authority but they will just put the dog in the Pound right? I dont wwant the dog to go to the pound but really, the owners should take proper responsibility for their dog, its terrible that this is allowed to happen! Has anyone any other ideas about what could be done about this dog???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

minxybe wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am new to boards.ie and just registered today although I have been reading the charlesland thread for some time - we have lived here for 2 years now and we love it!

However, I am have twice been attacked on the green when I am taking my little dog for a walk by the big collie that goes about. It is really scary and the only reason the dog went away the last time was because my husband was with me and he chased it away! I know that there have been several threads about this but I get the impression that people think that the dog is harmless and its kinda funny but it really is not funny when you are on your own and it is jumping up on you! Is scary.

I saw on some other threads that people have stopped walking in Charlesland with their dog because of this and I am thinking I will have to do them same, but I live here and we really enjoy our walks here.

I dont know what to do. It seems that all I can do is report it to the local authority but they will just put the dog in the Pound right? I dont wwant the dog to go to the pound but really, the owners should take proper responsibility for their dog, its terrible that this is allowed to happen! Has anyone any other ideas about what could be done about this dog???

Thanks

I saw him on Saturday wandering across Charlesland Court. He must be owned by someone cos he looks in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

lives in Burnaby lawns. There is little chance it's owner will take any responsibility for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dog warden? thats what they're there for
    It seems that all I can do is report it to the local authority but they will just put the dog in the Pound right? I dont want the dog to go to the pound

there are too many loose dogs wandering around hassling people (and responsible dogs owners walking their dogs) and fouling the footpaths. Though most of them may be harmless not all of them are - its the owners responsibility and they will only take responsibility if there are some consequences to their actions.

There was a pack of 6 or 7 loose dogs running around the south beach on Sunday - some of these dogs were bigger than my kids - its not acceptable.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Environment/OtherServices/DogControl.aspx

You are right of course, total disgrace. Something in the WT this week about it. Seems you need a warden, litter warden, parish priest, garda to enforce a fine against someone for allowing their dog siht on the pavement. So they spend their time giving parking tickets to shoppers on the main st while the coastal path is destroyed by pigs with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I wonder is that the Collie that belongs to the young lads from behind the tennis courts, they can often been seen loitering in the underground car park of superquinn and often asking people to give them smokes.

@minxybe if you are walking your pet on a lead and a stray dog approaches you, pick up your dog (if it's a small one) then I'd suggest you turn around and walk the other way.
    If the dog persists in following you, turn around and give it a good hard kick either in between it's chest area, or on it's backside.
    There is no reason you or your pet should be put in any danger through the stupid and senseless acts of others. Any dog that is allowed do this kind of thing should be impounded and if not collected it should be destroyed.

What happens if a kid gets mauled by it or another stray dog that people are too lazy to act on does? It's certainly not worth the risk of waiting to find out if the animal is friendly or not.

I have two large dogs myself and one of them was badly attacked by a large bullmastiff shortly after we moved in. Charlesland was still a building site at that stage and the guy who owned the dog took off on his push bike before I could do anything. The dog has not been right since then, he is terrible around other dogs now and this is all out of fear of being attacked again.

Has to be said, there is a general issue with dogs in Charlesland though, mostly down to ignorant owners

Other examples that you might come across;

People tying up dogs outside superquinn. I've seen everything from little puppies to the Rottweilers, Dobermans and even pitbulls, the more dangerous ones without any kind of muzzle.
    In the wood there is a someone who lets 2 little white dogs run around the estate crapping & pissing everywhere, chasing cars etc..
    Most recently I have been seeing a woman cycling around on her mountain bike with two large dogs running around with her. She stays on the road, while they slam their way through the front gardens.

So my advice, if a stray dog approaches you and you feel any way uncomfortable kick it! Even if you see an owner walking in the distance & the animal comes bounding up to you off the lead, kick it!
    Sure how were you supposed to know if it's dangerous or not..? Is it worth taking the risk?

I think not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

This dog has started a few threads and no one seems to know where it comes from. I saw some very small kids playing with it the other day. It could turn on them at any second. Owner obviously does not care. Be great to get the thing taken away and rehomed with someone who would control it. If not I have a mate who likes hunting!

Apparently he was also seen in Iceland with a box of matches and a petrol can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Why will nobody ring the dog warden the next time they see him? Seriously if I was at home I would do it. I am sick of all of these threads about him, his owners obviously do not give a damn about anyone else, so why should the rest of us have to worry about if and when he attacks one of us, or a child or runs in front of a car and causes an accident.

Call the dog warden, don't expect someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I very much agree.

The internet does not solve your problems.
    Except maybe to help you find a number for the dog warden.

Calling the Dog warden is what you do.
    The dog going to the pound is what happens.
    As a dog lover, nothing annoys me more than this "I don't want the poor doggy to go to the Pound" claptrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I very much agree.

The internet does not solve your problems.
    Except maybe to help you find a number for the dog warden.

Calling the Dog warden is what you do.
    The dog going to the pound is what happens.
    As a dog lover, nothing annoys me more than this "I don't want the poor doggy to go to the Pound" claptrap.

You're quite right. Hopefully the next time that intimidating pest hounds us all over the estate it will be between the hours of 11am to 12.30pm, when the pound is open.

• Advertisement

You're quite right. Hopefully the next time that intimidating pest hounds us all over the estate it will be between the hours of 11am to 12.30pm, when the pound is open.

Poor post.
    The Pound opening hours are not equivalent to the operating hours of the dog warden service.
    I'm guessing you have never tried though.

Honestly, is there anything in this country that people won't try to blame on government/Public Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 minxybe

MrsA and d'oracle, I dont mind calling the pound about the dog, I just wanted to be sure that there was no other way of dealing with it. It isn't the dog's fault after all!

Anyway, having had a look online and at your posts it seems that calling the dog warden/pound is the best option so that is what I will so next time I see him wandering about.

If anyone else has called them or does call them you might just post.

Thanks for the replies and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Poor post.
    The Pound opening hours are not equivalent to the operating hours of the dog warden service.
    I'm guessing you have never tried though.

Honestly, is there anything in this country that people won't try to blame on government/Public Service?

I went to the above linked council web page to get the number of the dog warden so I would have it on my phone. The page discusses the warden service and the pound as part of the same service and provides a single phone number. I called, to inquire about the service -- that's when I got their recorded message saying they're open 90 minutes a day (60 fewer than what it says on the website). I don't think anyone can be very satisfied with a public service when the majority of the public can't access it.

If there's a different contact number (and opening hours) for the dog warden service and I just haven't found it yet, then mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Your local Gardai have the mobile no of dog warden:)

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Your local Gardai have the mobile no of dog warden:)
    have used this route before and was too slow. Look it's no mystery wher the dogs is from. It's from a neighbouring estate. The same extended family have several dogs which are out all day, every day.I often wonder are they a problem for the sheep up in Eden Gate? If you read other threads you will find that some people will not take responsibility for their kids(where roaming, stealing, vandalism concerned)never mind their dogs. Police do not visit that estate on the beat. I can 100% assure you that the dog warden will not be going there either.

He was standing on the main green in Charlesland the other day and a youngish looking staffs terrier was tearing round him in circles. It did make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 temana

which collie is he? Is he the black and brown one with a white underside or the smaller light brown and white one?

Its called a rough collie. The lassie type. There is another from the same estate which is quite cranky and again roams freely. Thats a wicklow collie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is the traditional Lassie dog, (golden brown and white) the one from Burnaby Lawns? I've seen him messing around with a bunch of kids in the Grove. Might be good to know who's who, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

As a dog lover, I'm very uncomfortable reading this thread.

I understand dogs can be a nuisance but I find myself empathizing with the four legged.

At the risk of stating the obvious;

there would be no 'problem' dogs

if owners acted responsibly.

Would agree too, that it would be advisable to know exactly what dog(s) are in the frame here.

I'd worry that some playful but harmless mutt would be hauled off by the dog warden on account of mistaken identity.

The dog warden takes no prisoners.

• Advertisement

As a dog lover, I'm very uncomfortable reading this thread.

I understand dogs can be a nuisance but I find myself empathizing with the four legged.

At the risk of stating the obvious;

there would be no 'problem' dogs

if owners acted responsibly.

Would agree too, that it would be advisable to know exactly what dog(s) are in the frame here.

I'd worry that some playful but harmless mutt would be hauled off by the dog warden on account of mistaken identity.

The dog warden takes no prisoners.
    Sorry ,all made irrelevant by the fact that legally dogs are not meant to be allowed to roam at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

As a responsible ( I hope ) dog owner, it makes me sad to hear this.

Another option could be to ring one of the Greystones Vets and have a chat with him, he might know the dog and its family and could maybe have a quiet word.
    At least its documented that there has been constant trouble with the dog and as someone else said, it would be awful for a non-troublesome dog to be lifted by the warden.
    If the dog is chipped, there should be no probs contacting his owners.

What about the management company, if they have logged calls about this issue and someone decides to bring it to the police then its quiet a relevant matter and they would have to deal with it.
    Am I living in cook ooo land ??? :D

. Police do not visit that estate on the beat. I can 100% assure you that the dog warden will not be going there either.

Always amazes me how much people seem to know about the Gardai and their "beat".

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Merrilady wrote: »
    it would be awful for a non-troublesome dog to be lifted by the warden.

This is what worried me.

There seemed to be some question about its identity

in that at least two dogs seemed to be 'in the frame'.

Yes there are two. One is wicked and the other erratic. Both come from same estate, same extended family owners. Follow kids over to SQ then roam the estate. Both need to be impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Always amazes me how much people seem to know about the Gardai and their "beat".

Thought you of all people would know best seeing as you are d'Oracle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Yes there are two. One is wicked and the other erratic. Both come from same estate, same extended family owners. Follow kids over to SQ then roam the estate. Both need to be impounded.

Although I agree that the owners should not get away with letting their dog/dogs roam freely, and that there should be consequences, how do you know for sure who owns either dog? If there is concrete evidence, can their details not be submitted to the gardai who may, or may not decide to give them a warning? After all, this seems to be somewhat of a safety issue, yet through no fault of the dog/dogs. Shouldn't the dogs be at least given a chance to be looked after properly by the owners before they get a one-way ticket to the pound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Rasmus wrote: »
    Although I agree that the owners should not get away with letting their dog/dogs roam freely, and that there should be consequences, how do you know for sure who owns either dog? If there is concrete evidence, can their details not be submitted to the gardai who may, or may not decide to give them a warning? After all, this seems to be somewhat of a safety issue, yet through no fault of the dog/dogs. Shouldn't the dogs be at least given a chance to be looked after properly by the owners before they get a one-way ticket to the pound?

I would imagine that the owners are quite aware of the laws regarding dogs, even non dog owners know the laws.

I am a dog lover myself, but, I think that these dogs are not being controlled correctly and if everyone does nothing then some day it will be too late and we will all be wringing our hands and wishing we had made that call.

MrsA wrote: »
    I would imagine that the owners are quite aware of the laws regarding dogs, even non dog owners know the laws.

I am a dog lover myself, but, I think that these dogs are not being controlled correctly and if everyone does nothing then some day it will be too late and we will all be wringing our hands and wishing we had made that call.
    +1. I cant be too specific on here re their owners. But they have been referred to on this board on a few occassions with regard to other matters. I am confident that neither wardens nor Garda will be visiting them any time soon on the matter of dogs specifically. If the dogs get impounded they will be released again. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

Hi, sorry but your info's wrong. There are 2 collie dogs in this estate (where I live), the black and white one and the "lassie dog". Neither are from the same "extended family". In particular, my cousin owns the lassie dog, and it is confined to the garden and RARELY gets out. So I assume there is another "lassie dog" from elsewhere. Though I'll admit the black and white one can be fairly wicked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement