Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grounds for a return?

• 14-04-2010 12:23am

I was hoping i wouldn't have to make a thread and posted this in a similar thread in the laptop section but didn't get a reply in two days so here it goes....

Question about an Aspire but also grounds for returning a potentially faulty product.....

Have a 3mth old Acer...
    Have an Acer Aspire 5542, and over the past week it's just losing connection to the internet, basically it just stops working but the box is fine and it shows as connected down the right hand corner.

When i click on websites it just doesn't change page, doesn't go to ''page unavailable'' just stays on whatever page it was and doesn't load, it's like your not even pressing any buttons.

A lot of the time this happens i do be talking on MSN and it will continue to run(most of the time but not always) but if i log out it won't let me back in, eventually though it freezes and i go ahead and restart the laptop.

Shutting down the laptop and starting it again fixes the problem so it seems to be the laptop, would these be grounds for a a return?.... this just happens randomly, no structure to it and it happens 2 or 3 times a day now.

My sister also has an Acer which has problems similar(but her's wouldnt work from starting point, it wouldnt connect to the box even though the box would be working fine).... a common problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

sounds like an o.s probelm, what windows are you running?

antocann wrote: »
    sounds like an o.s probelm, what windows are you running?

Windows 7.... just got the laptop New Years day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Try running internet explorer with no add ons loaded. To do this, click on the start button then type internet explorer in, you will it listed under programs as internet explorer (no add-ons). Another option to try is to download firefox or chrome and see if the issue also happens when running one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Could be your wireless router. Next time it happens, try rebooting that and see what happens.

mbroaders wrote: »
    Try running internet explorer with no add ons loaded. To do this, click on the start button then type internet explorer in, you will it listed under programs as internet explorer (no add-ons). Another option to try is to download firefox or chrome and see if the issue also happens when running one of those.

I already use Firefox... what happens is i click on a site and down the bottom left it skips straight to ''done'' the page won't change, it doesn't load to the ''page not available'' screen, it's basically like i haven't pressed a button, i reg' stream programmes and they will continue to buffer when this problem occurs

Net explorer gives a problem notice though which when checked mentions my firewall settings(which are on and untouched) as i said this just happens randomly after a few hours of browsing and a restart immediately solves the problem, it's not constant.
    Khannie wrote: »
    Could be your wireless router. Next time it happens, try rebooting that and see what happens.

The router is running fine, all other devices suffer no problem..... the laptop doesn't even change the status down the bottom right to ''not available'' it remains ''connected'' and will run MSN, buffer videos for a few minutes(MSN will crash though and freeze, could be a coincidence but the last 2 times when i just continued chatting and avoided the restart it crashed after 2/3mins and it never does this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

So the issue is occuring in both firefox and internet explorer. It may still be worth trying firefox in safe mode to confirm that it isn't any addons causing the issue.
    I take it that the laptop is still responsive when the problem occurs, ie you can open and close other programs?
    Another thing to check is to runing a continuous ping to your router and to the internet to confirm if connectivity does drop when the issue occurs. You can accomplish this by opening a two command windows. In one of them type ping -t x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the ip address of your router) and in the second one type ping -t 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8 is a public dns server).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

have you tried contacting their support team? This could be a known issue or it may be something they can help you with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

the easiest way to this would be to re-instal a os on it ,
    but only if you can back everything up on it

Advertisement