Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Drops Carlow

• 14-04-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Moved recently, theres a 3 MB connex here.

Line stats:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2080 384
    SN Margin (dB) 4.30 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 231 66

Thats what is it at the moment. It changes everytime it dissconnects. Earlier the Line attenuation was like 20/10 and SN was 15/14 and it was synching at the full 3 MB download and upload speed.

The drops are happening like every 5 mins sometimes, or can go hours without a drop and the connection acts fine.

Theres 2 cordless phones here, both on proper filters, rarely if ever used. Have tryed different filters, disconnecting everything, connecting directly to the main socket and what not. Nothing seems to fix the problem.

Havent rang eircom as the connection is not mine, but its making what i use the internet for (gaming and poker) impossible.

Any suggestions of what i could do? I suppose getting permission to ring eircom would be a start.

Edit:

Now syncing with these stats

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 36.00 25.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The margin is crap, have you tried to disconnect the internal sockets fully

http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

If that does not work you have an external fault and may need to be throttled to 2mbits to stabilise the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's some sort of line fault there alright. If upload and download attenuation are almost the same, I'd almost expect for a fault to be present during voice calls.

Has anything changed with your wiring inside the house or on the lines between your house and the exchange?

The problem is, if there's no voice fault on the line, they can put your profile on 2048 kbps and that's that. To get your original speed again, it would mean having to pay eircom for a new line and get your number and services transferred over to that.

If you know someone where you're from in eircom directly or through a friend, you could ask them to look at it and reward them for their troubles. Money etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ill ask the landlord to drop the connection back to 2 MB i think. Its not my property and I cant go rooting at the internal wiring.

Very very irritating. The first week i was here these problems werent happening, its just recently its getting very bad. The ping and latency times are a little high, 30 + - to boards.ie but extremly constant. On my home connection(same package) there around 15ms.

Any more input would be grateful before I ask him to switch back to 2MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

nuxxx wrote: »
    Ill ask the landlord to drop the connection back to 2 MB i think. Its not my property and I cant go rooting at the internal wiring.

Very very irritating. The first week i was here these problems werent happening, its just recently its getting very bad. The ping and latency times are a little high, 30 + - to boards.ie but extremly constant. On my home connection(same package) there around 15ms.

Any more input would be grateful before I ask him to switch back to 2MB

30ms ping would be high side of average but by no means high.

RangeR wrote: »
    30ms ping would be high side of average but by no means high.

By decent european standards, 30ms to a home server is quiet high imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

nuxxx wrote: »
    By decent european standards, 30ms to a home server is quiet high imo

No offense, but I'm talking about Irish standards. Apples and Oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Anything below 40 ms becomes fairly insigificant for home servers so even though there's a bit of interleaving on the line, I haven't bothered to remove it fully as I want the slightly higher line speed instead. My ADSL1 line at the parents house is a fully-interleaved line however, and the 55 millisecond ping times to rte.ie is a bit painful tbh.

Apologies for going off topic:o

Also, there's really no harm in getting the landlord to check with eircom if there's any faults on the line. Claim that every so often, the voice on calls drops out or something. It might show up as a fault on the computer system or an eircom man might be sent out and notice an issue with the line.

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.40 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.00 30.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Still dropping like mad. This is costing me money :mad:

Ill talk to the landlord when hes home. Cheers for all the help guys.

Advertisement