Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got an E46 320i?

• 14-04-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hoping to take a gander at one of these tomorrow it's got the 2.2 M54B22 straight 6 engine, but has a pre facelift bumper. Is it possible that it's an import or was that engine also fitted to late pre-facelift models?

Any reasons to buy or not to buy. Before anyone goes on about fuel economy etc I don't care. I don't want a 4 cylinder BMW and diesel BMWs in my price range are driven by people who want a nicely badged car but would otherwise drive a Mondeo.

I can't afford to tax or insure a proper diesel BMW if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Had a '01 320ci and loved it, tons of threads if you do a quick search

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

2.2 engine was available in the 320i from around Sept '00. The facelift saloon was around Sept '01 (coupe and conv got the facelift around mid '03) so there could be plenty of pre-facelift cars about.

The most important thing to be aware of with the 2.2 is that they can have a little bit of a thirst for oil. BMW deem anything up to a litre in approx 1,000 miles to be acceptable iirc. There doesn't seem to be anything significant amiss if the consumption is high, in itself its not a prelude to doom, but only if the previous owners kept an eye on the level and didn't let it run low too often. Often a change in grade to a 10w/40 oil (with appropriate adjustment in oil change frequency if the new oil isn't a BMW long life spec) will reduce the consumption dramatically.

An import will usually be a higher spec than an original Irish car and UK imports will have climate control, 16" alloy wheels (or better), multi-function 3 spoke steering wheel and rear parking sensors as part of the spec.

hth.

Advertisement