Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attention grabbers

• 14-04-2010 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Just wondering what your opinion on attention grabbers is - watches whose only purpose is not to tell the time but to attract attention and let everybody know how much money you have, Breitling would be the obvious example - it's actually hard to tell the time on most BL watches they are so shiny, I may have asked this before and if so please ignore ... it's been a while since I've been here

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I dont like them. Breitling's and Tags can fall into this. Then again I think a date window can be an imposition on some watches :D But Breitling's can be a case of how much can we stuff on a dial. I favour legibility over almost anything else. Bling of any kind, diamonds etc I cant abide.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Have to agree about the blingy diamonds etc. Breitling do have some nice models though but are very busy generally.
    I think the ultimate attention grabber is the Rolex brand. More so the brand rather than the actual watches which for the main part are understated and quite conservative.
    For e.g nearly every company has a version of the Submariner, Seiko do a very good copy for a tenth of the price that to the untrained eye could be a Rolex.
    I think that SOME Rolex wearers like to show of their Rolexes as a status symbol because they are a recognised brand and if you check out TZuk or the likes there is a massive fan base of Rolex wearers more so than any other brand.
    I personally don't see the appeal. Yes they are a good watch with inhouse movements but compared to less well known brands like Glasshutte Original, JLC, Zenith they fall well behind in the looks department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

One of these? Possibly the tackiest watch I have ever seen, but it would stand out for sure!

8177.jpg

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 .Moosejam

bedlam wrote: »
    I think there are very few watches that are, in fairness, designed solely to attract attention, other than maybe Jacob & Co :).

Oh cmon 99% of the Breitling range is nothing more than look at me I'm loaded.

They all have mirror finishes, the only function a mirror finish has is to attract attention.

They are horrible watches worn only by the most shallow.

They do have one or two which don't conform to bling bling, but to wear those you have to be OK with the rest of the range and that makes you shallow too, you may as well buy some gold teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Jeez, what's with the hatred for Breitlings?
    What about the Navitimer range? Chrono Avenger? Seawolf? Breitling make lots of watches that aren't polished, and also make some beautiful straps if you don't want the shiny bracelet. I'm wearing my B-2 today, on a rubber strap. Not blinging at all in my opinion.
    Also check out the Super Avenger and Skyland in black steel. Absolutely gorgeous watches.

• Advertisement

Breitling is an easy target, they do have some nice watches it must be said, I have more of an issue with their busy dials than the mirror finish which is only on some models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

My favourite Breitling on a mesh bracelet.
    If I had the funds to indulge myself with a collection, it would definitely be sought out.

soh_pair_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

.Moosejam wrote: »
    Oh cmon 99% of the Breitling range is nothing more than look at me I'm loaded.

They all have mirror finishes, the only function a mirror finish has is to attract attention.

They are horrible watches worn only by the most shallow.

They do have one or two which don't conform to bling bling, but to wear those you have to be OK with the rest of the range and that makes you shallow too, you may as well buy some gold teeth.

yeah bling tastic :rolleyes:

DSC05125.jpg

and didnt you buy a few of those 50mm parnis things? surely would attract more attention than any 'normal' sized watch?

2 beautiful watches indeed, the blue faced one is a peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Breitling etc do various ranges to cater for most tastes. From the Bling - Bling I'm loaded range to the conservative classical type range (for those who would like to be able to wear the same watch in 10 or 20 years and not look stupid!). I would not be a fan of the Bling-Bling watches but if people want to validate their lives by showing off what money they have, that is their choice.

A well made and maintained classically styled mechanical watch is something you can wear with confidence and pass on with pride to your son or daughter. They also hold their value, if the day came when pennies were tight!!!!! God Forbid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

buck65 wrote: »
    Have to agree about the blingy diamonds etc. Breitling do have some nice models though but are very busy generally.
    I think the ultimate attention grabber is the Rolex brand. More so the brand rather than the actual watches which for the main part are understated and quite conservative.
    For e.g nearly every company has a version of the Submariner, Seiko do a very good copy for a tenth of the price that to the untrained eye could be a Rolex.
    I think that SOME Rolex wearers like to show of their Rolexes as a status symbol because they are a recognised brand and if you check out TZuk or the likes there is a massive fan base of Rolex wearers more so than any other brand.
    I personally don't see the appeal. Yes they are a good watch with inhouse movements but compared to less well known brands like Glasshutte Original, JLC, Zenith they fall well behind in the looks department.

A decent pre-owned Rolex can be had for a three figure sum and most modern datejusts go for less than é2500. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Glashutte Original or JLC for that kind of money if at all. You might find a Zenith Rainbow for reasonable money if you hunt around.

IMO There are a number of companies who want Rolexes business and are acquiring it by making their own product expensive for the sake of being expensive. Dare I say Omega here??? Basically they are targeting people who would like to say "Look at this - it doesn't look like a Rolex but it cost me twice as much" as soon as they are asked but good taste prevents them ;)

If I can't have a Rolex I'll take a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms in plain steel on decent leather.

FTR a Rolex should be made of steel or platinum and contain no visible gems - rubies and gold alloys on the inside excepted. Anyone sporting a blinged up Rolex doesn't know what a Rolex is IMHO

foxyboxer wrote: »
    My favourite Breitling on a mesh bracelet.
    If I had the funds to indulge myself with a collection, it would definitely be sought out.

soh_pair_02.jpg

Probably the only good looking Breitling there is and maybe because it looks like a Blancpain perhaps? :D

For me nice leather or a NATO might be better - mesh is a bit 80s

A decent pre-owned Rolex can be had for a three figure sum and most modern datejusts go for less than é2500. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Glashutte Original or JLC for that kind of money if at all. You might find a Zenith Rainbow for reasonable money if you hunt around.

IMO There are a number of companies who want Rolexes business and are acquiring it by making their own product expensive for the sake of being expensive. Dare I way Omega here??? Basically they are targeting people who would like to say "Look at this - it doesn't look like a Rolex but it cost me twice as much" as soon as they are asked but good taste prevents them ;)

If I can't have a Rolex I'll take a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms in plain steel on decent leather.

FTR a Rolex should be made of steel or platinum and contain no visible gems - rubies and gold alloys on the inside excepted. Anyone sporting a blinged up Rolex doesn't know what a Rolex is IMHO

Not the old Rolex is better than Omega rant again!!!! From your username, i would not have expected that from you!

Not the old Rolex is better than Omega rant again!!!! From your username, i would not have expected that from you!

No - must have missed that rant. Was it any good?

Personally I do like the new Co-Axials and I was referring to Omegas practice of increasing the prices of their quartz and ETA range back in the last century - got themselves within spitting distance of Rolex RRP prices but lost out big time on resale values with 40-60% discount or worse for pre-owned.

I'll take any Omega with a co-Axial or Lemania movement, or a Speedy and treat it with the same love and respect as due a Rolex.

As for which is better - Yes I'm a Rolex fan but it's really down to the job you want it to do as to which is "better". I'd only make a call if there was a gun to my head but I would defend Rolex in any slanging match.

No intention to open old wounds - just my opinion

.Moosejam wrote: »
    Just wondering what your opinion on attention grabbers is - watches whose only purpose is not to tell the time but to attract attention and let everybody know how much money you have, Breitling would be the obvious example - it's actually hard to tell the time on most BL watches they are so shiny, I may have asked this before and if so please ignore ... it's been a while since I've been here

Audemar Piguet would come to mind. Especially the monstrosity RTEs Pat Kenny loves flashing his one about on the telly

http://api.ning.com/files/lqgTNFuaZb7QOLKn*4cY8SEIz-eKGdMdcOQEbjNmldXYIoYKyeseMHwnoSZKfzzXx-cR212WXGGcyMlPvU2XIqT2njtWmcL4/audemarpiguetroyaloak.jpg

No - must have missed that rant. Was it any good?

Personally I do like the new Co-Axials and I was referring to Omegas practice of increasing the prices of their quartz and ETA range back in the last century - got themselves within spitting distance of Rolex RRP prices but lost out big time on resale values with 40-60% discount or worse for pre-owned.

I'll take any Omega with a co-Axial or Lemania movement, or a Speedy and treat it with the same love and respect as due a Rolex.

As for which is better - Yes I'm a Rolex fan but it's really down to the job you want it to do as to which is "better". I'd only make a call if there was a gun to my head but I would defend Rolex in any slanging match.

No intention to open old wounds - just my opinion

Yeah, Co-axials are a nice piece.
    In fairness, we don't see much or the Omega vs Rolex vs etc rant on this forum, but you do see it on others. As for Pat Kenny, he needs as much bling bling as possible to liven up his personality.

As for Pat Kenny, he needs as much bling bling as possible to liven up his personality.

He needs more than that IMHO. He can wear what he wants in his private life but the message given out by wearing it on national TV disgusts me.

No personality

No taste

I pay a licence fee to see worthwhile TV not to see what Kenny is spending my hard earned money on.

He needs more than that IMHO. He can wear what he wants in his private life but the message given out by wearing it on national TV disgusts me.

No personality

No taste

I pay a licence fee to see worthwhile TV not to see what Kenny is spending my hard earned money on.

Agree. But we will have to move over to the Pat "The Plank" Kenny thread on the Televisions board to continue.

Agree. But we will have to move over to the Pat "The Plank" Kenny thread on the Televisions board to continue.

No need - by contrast his predecessor on the Late Late sports a tasteful steel Datejust.

Maybe we could generate a list of public personalities, planks included, and note which watch they've been seen flashing with a 0-11 attention grabber scale

0 modest or cheap - I might have money but then again I might not. (Seiko, Lorus, Timex)

5 status symbol - maybe I have a bit but this is for my children (Rolex, Patek, Breguet)

11 I'll take your money, your land, your wife and anything else I want to support my need to rub your noses in it and my watch is one of my outward expressions of this need. (Anything big and chunky that screams closet steamer or chip munky with or without diamonds)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

IMO There are a number of companies who want Rolexes business and are acquiring it by making their own product expensive for the sake of being expensive. Dare I say Omega here??? Basically they are targeting people who would like to say "Look at this - it doesn't look like a Rolex but it cost me twice as much" as soon as they are asked but good taste prevents them ;)

I've an Omega and it's certainly not because it's expensive - it's because I really liked . I for sure wouldn't buy a Rolex for the sake of saying " hey look at me I'm wearing a Rolex" - But If I found one I really liked I would .

• Advertisement

shanel23 wrote: »
    I've an Omega and it's certainly not because it's expensive - it's because I really liked . I for sure wouldn't buy a Rolex for the sake of saying " hey look at me I'm wearing a Rolex" - But If I found one I really liked I would .

well said - watches should be bought and worn for purposes other than showing off. If it happens to be expensive that information should remain between you and your supplier and should not be obvious when someone asks you the time.

Less of the hating on Pat Kenny please, this forum is _not_ the place.

That wasn't who I had in mind as he would never warrant such a high score. I'd have given him a 7.5, maybe an 8, but I take the point

And between Rolex and Audemars Piguet guess will be more recognised by the average Late Late Show viewer and associated with "money to burn"...

Gaybo never flashed his - he almost always took it off and put it on his desk. It is only in his more recent appearances where he has been seen without a desk that it can be noticed.

I guess that leaves the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 .Moosejam

Looking back that was very OTT, threw it out without much thought. As this is the watch forum I'm sure there are many happy Breilting owners out there, apologies if you took offense it wasn't intended, I'll have to remember just because I don't have one doesn't mean no one else does - especially on a big forum like this.

I reckon most people looking at a Royal oak would A) not recognise it as an expensive watch b) wonder why it is an expensive watch. Not the blingiest or nicest watch in the world IMO.

Is that a tourbillon in the crown!?

Advertisement