Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore sigher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

They are handy little tool if you are changing scope rather often or something, had one a couple years ago and to be honest i hardly used it 3 times. However, it will get you on paper, but you still have to zero the old fashioned way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ for a bore sighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a laser bore sighter, in particular this model http://www.inovatech.co.uk/shop/home.php?cat=20&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&gclid=CKOvjPH5hKECFSMslAod6zTesw

What's peoples opinion on them, do they find them useful? Or are they just a "luxury" item?

If you zero @25 yards it simplifies things as you are ALMOST guaranteed to be on paper.
    Put rifle in a rest align the barrel and target by eye and spirit level. Squeeze off a round and you are ALMOST as close as the best bore sighter's will bring you, Cost. I paper target and your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It's funny the only time I ever needed a bore sighter was when I had an issue with mounts.

Put scope on gun, tried to zero it and ran out of windage to get it on target. Diagnosis, mounts needed aligning or shimming.

I put the scope windage adjustment back in the centre.

It would have been nice to have a bore sighter to see where the bore was aiming and where the scope was pointing. Just how far off was it?

Instead I removed the bolt and looked down the bore at a target 25 yards away.

I shimmed the mounts until both scope and bore were pointing at the same thing. Job done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Odysseus wrote: »
    What's peoples opinion on them, do they find them useful? Or are they just a "luxury" item?

Luxury item, IMO.
    kay 9 wrote:
    handy little tool if you are changing scope rather often or something
    Put rifle in a rest align the barrel and target by eye and spirit level. Squeeze off a round and you are ALMOST as close as the best bore sighter's will bring you, Cost. I paper target and your time

+ 1 on both of the above. Doing it by eye is as good and less costly, unless as kay 9 said and you are changing barrels, or scopes frequently.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Complete waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you want to buy one get the likes of a hawke shotsaver or likewise.

Advertisement