Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT annually for cars 10yrs+

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's obvious that this is an attempt to make more people buy new(er) cars yo stimulate the motor trade. It's not going to work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

exactly it's part II of the scrappage scheme, why does FF bend the knee to this sector of the retail trade so much , why not scrappage on more effcient washing machines or gas boilers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

BostonB wrote: »

Any info on the cause of these 47% of accidents? Driver error. Light not working on number plater, or noisy exhaust? Maybe emissions?

100% of car accidents involve at least one inadequately skilled driver. If they're worried about safety, they should leave the NCT as it is and get every driver to do a scaled-down retest on alternate years.

Dodgy cars approaching NCT will be dumped, whereas the dodgy drivers can just move on to newer cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

BostonB wrote: »
    First I heard of this.

They must be good at burying information then.

It was signed off on the 21st December 2009.

Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

macplaxton wrote: »
    They must be good at burying information then.

It was signed off on the 21st December 2009.

Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2009

Not my daily read. It not grabby enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone heard the news lately? some predictions that we'll be out of the recession by the end of the year, and there'll be jobs because people will emigrate (around 100,000 predicted?)

I can see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

So an even larger percentage (53%) of accidents involved cars less than 9 years old, what are they trying to prove?

good observation there I was caught up in the story I missed that one

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Its another money making plan by the government. The reason most people have a ten year old car is because they cant afford a newer model cash is tight and the GOV hit the people who cant afford it the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I wonder how many times road conditions/surface had anything to do with road accident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Jip wrote: »
    Annual tests are just ridiculous.

I don't we fare too badly compared to some of our European neighbours

UK . . . . . . . . . . . . . annual tests at 3rd yr
    The Netherlands . . .. all car reg'd pre-01/01/2005 cars : annual tests at 3rd yr
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .all diesel cars reg'd post-01/01/2005 : annual tests at 3rd yr
    Finland . . . . . . . . . . annual tests at 4th yr
    Austria . . . . . . . . . . annual tests at 6th yr
    Sweden . . . . . . . . . .annual tests at 6th yr

Ireland . . . . . . . . . . annual tests at 10th yrs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection
    http://holland.angloinfo.com/countries/holland/vrt.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Care to say why? As in a proper reason not just your opinion.

How about because before the NCT was introduced, the insurers didn't load premiums for older cars nor did you get a discount for having a newer one. They're the experts on the risk, after all. If untested four year and older cars were really such a danger, to the point where a car with no NCT warrants FIVE penalty points, why wasn't it reflected in insurance premiums?

I heard they do a WOF in New Zealand every 6 months! :eek: (on vehicles over 6 years old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

gizmo555 wrote: »
    How about because before the NCT was introduced, the insurers didn't load premiums for older cars nor did you get a discount for having a newer one. They're the experts on the risk, after all. If untested four year and older cars were really such a danger, to the point where a car with no NCT warrants FIVE penalty points, why wasn't it reflected in insurance premiums?

In my experience they load new cars because they are new and worth more. They load old cars because they are old, need more repairs.

Its just BS they find any excuse to load a premium. Theres no logic to it at all. Which is why they can drop hundreds of a quote if you ring around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You're forgetting the time taken off work if required.

People always seem to use this one lately.
    NCT centres open on saturdays. The test takes less than an hour. You will be notified well in advance of the test. You can have someone else bring the car in for you, don't tell me you can't because I have done it for my brother and likewise a he has done for me when I was working.

Stop clutching at straws. A lot of people look after their cars especially as they age. But there is no denying the fact that there are some idiots behind the wheels of cars new and old a like. But these idiots in the new cars tend to have less problems as it's a new car and if they notice something, they will bring it back to dealer to be fixed.

Idiots in older cars just don't give a **** sometimes. They'll drive around not giving a **** cos it's an old car, no point fixing it. These are the same people who will drive on bald tyres, razor thin brake pads and will not change them until the car fails the NCT because of it. Then they will change them. So if they are forced to check the basics of their car once a year then all the better.

It's unfortunate that people who take car have to suffer but think of it this way. Next time your sitting behind a bangor that's spluttering smoke out the back and looks like a dogs dinner you can think to yourself "glad that bastard will likely be off the road soon"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyone heard the news lately? some predictions that we'll be out of the recession by the end of the year, and there'll be jobs because people will emigrate (around 100,000 predicted?)
    These are presumably predictions emanating from Fainna Fail!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »

Nope, the ESRI,
    I doubt giving the current lads a few hours overtime or hiring a few more to cope with the extra workload from testing old cars annually will make much of a dent to the economic outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

'Tis ESRI all right. But they don't actually say we'll be out of recession tho, or even close ... more that they reckon things will start to turn around slightly / slowly.

"The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide" as Longfellow might have put it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

gizmo555 wrote: »
    How about because before the NCT was introduced, the insurers didn't load premiums for older cars
    Yes they did. My first car was 14 years old, and I needed a form from the insurer filled by a garage to vouch for it's roadworthiness. In addition some insurance companies wouldn't quote at all because of its age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

JHMEG wrote: »
    Yes they did. My first car was 14 years old, and I needed a form from the insurer filled by a garage to vouch for it's roadworthiness. In addition some insurance companies wouldn't quote at all because of its age.

New one on me . . . I've had plenty of geriatric cars in my time, including what was at the time a more than 20 y.o. VW Beetle and the ages of my cars were never so much as queried by my insurers.

Certainly from an insurance risk perspective, I don't believe there's any difference between a 3 y.o. and 4 y.o. car, yet the 4 y.o. will earn you a 5 point penalty if you take it on the road with no NCT. It's completely arbitrary and has no real bearing on safety.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote: »
    some still are reluctant to insure cars over 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

How come cars over 30 years old don't need a NCT.

Do any of them have ABS or airbags??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

some still are reluctant to insure cars over 10 years

Where does this magically figure of 10 years come from. Do cars self destruct once they hit the 10 year old mark or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

10 years is reasonable enough. A lot of people with cars over 10 years don't care as long as it gets them from point a - b. Now a yearly check will at least make them check tyres, brakes etc. The basics of a car.

Anyone who looks after their car should have no problem passing the NCT, this will weed out the people who don't look after their cars.

30 Year+ cars don't require an NCT but most owners of a 30 year+ car look after them and only have them because they want to have an old antique car which they can work on and be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Where does this magically figure of 10 years come from. Do cars self destruct once they hit the 10 year old mark or something?
    they do if you drive them past a renualt/green party garage

scrappage double scrappage and electric cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yawns wrote: »
    People always seem to use this one lately.
    NCT centres open on saturdays. The test takes less than an hour. You will be notified well in advance of the test. You can have someone else bring the car in for you, don't tell me you can't because I have done it for my brother and likewise a he has done for me when I was working.

Stop clutching at straws.

So everyone who works during the week can be catered for on a Saturday can they ? And everyone who does work during the week who cannot get a test on a Saturday knows someone who can do it for them during the week without that person requiring time off work to do so ? You're making a lot of assumptions aren't you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Its definitely a money making scheme for both the Gov and the car industry, one slight flaw is that no one is buying new cars because no one can afford them and the banks aren't lending unless you're loaded so they cant even borrow to buy a new car.. so whats the point?? :rolleyes:

Forget giving the motor industry a crutch, give em a wheelchair as they will all be crippled for the foreseeable future and something like this isnt going to bail them out.. hopefully all it will do is further filter out the scam artists and idiots who dont have a clue how to sell and keep the old school guys who know how to sell a car in business.

I have a 01 reg car, its only got 74k miles on the clock, passed its NCT a few months back and all I had to do was wash it and take a few things out of the boot.. nothing more and I know plenty of people with older cars which have no issues, are well maintained and like mine, have no problems with them passing through the NCT.. a 3 or 4 year old car thats badly maintained and with worn tyres is a lot more dangerous than a 15 year old car in good condition, good tyres and well maintained..

In the long run, it will benefit safety on the roads as some old death traps will be taken off the road as it wont be worthwhile running them through a test every 12 months..

But in the meantime its just another idiot scheme by those twats in Gov.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yawns wrote: »
    10 years is reasonable enough. A lot of people with cars over 10 years don't care as long as it gets them from point a - b. Now a yearly check will at least make them check tyres, brakes etc. The basics of a car.

Anyone who looks after their car should have no problem passing the NCT, this will weed out the people who don't look after their cars.

30 Year+ cars don't require an NCT but most owners of a 30 year+ car look after them and only have them because they want to have an old antique car which they can work on and be proud of.

couple of things there:

1. The 10yr requirement was a money-earning sweetener to get more competitive tenders in, for the new 10yr NCT bid. The Spaniards won, the Swiss lost. €400million will do that to a person.
    2. 10yr requirement in principle I don't have an issue with, but if I have to do it twice as often, then it should be half the price. If it's the exact same test, than either younger cars need to be charged more, or we need a different test - NCT-Lite, anyone ? :p
    3. My cars are: 4, 17, 16, 20. All are well maintained. I'm not waiting 'til they're 30 before I start, and I know mine are good. To arbitrarily decide new 'car good, old car bad', is not unlike '4 legs good, 2 legs bad'...with apologies to George Orwell....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

So everyone who works during the week can be catered for on a Saturday can they ?

I work all week, miles from my local NCT centre so I e-mailed the NCT and they came back to me with a Saturday appointment. Was for about 4 months time, and was well passed the due date, but they accomodated me.

I don't see why people have such an issue with the annual testing of cars over 10 years old, but then again where I grew up it was an annual test for cars over 3 years old.

Wouldn't surprise me if the people who are in uproar about this are the same folk who can't believe the government are making learner drivers be accompanied - just an excuse to hit us in the pocket, yada yada, bitch moan, someone elses fault, etc etc...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

R.O.R wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if the people who are in uproar about this are the same folk who can't believe the government are making learner drivers be accompanied - just an excuse to hit us in the pocket, yada yada, bitch moan, someone elses fault, etc etc...:rolleyes:

Yada yada assumption assumption etc etc .

I have yet to see one good factual reason to show how this will decrease the number of accidents and deaths on the road.

I'm against it because its just a money maker, like its been said make it a half price test and then we may believe its about honest reasons , ya don't see them in such a hurry to make our Iraqi style cattle tracks any safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What the government and the RSA mean to say is that an older car is more likely to kill you that a new one. And unless they intend retrofitting ABS and airbags in the NCT centre, a yellow piece of paper twice as often as required now won't help ;)

makes lots of sense seen how newer cars are made with less efficiancy as older cars ,look at the toyota recall ,and most new cars just keep having problems ..so a big **** *** to mr dempsey .ive 94 never broke down once never been in a collision where do they get these ridiculous stats

I'm presuming they are going to test Toyotas every Month seeing as they have brought in so many 21 year olds from Harvard, Yale and Oxford to so wondrously streamline their processes, save a huge, shítpile-high mountain of pennies and subsequently kill a great many People and recall a billion vehicles....

W@nkers.

P.S. Sorry, would love to stay and chat but can't stop - Am in a Toyota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

rasper wrote: »
    I'm against it because its just a money maker, like its been said make it a half price test and then we may believe its about honest reasons
    A lot of people have made that argument, and it doesn't make sense to me.

In 2006, the company that runs the nct made a €6 million profit on €33 million turnover. That means that the NCT costs about as much as it costs. Halving the price of tests would force the scheme to run at a loss, so the taxpayer would have to pitch in to fund it. Asking drivers of new cars (or non drivers) to help fund the testing of your car hardly seems fair.

More importantly, the government doesn't make any money from the NCT. The only way it profits from this is move is when the NCT takes an economically irreparable car off the road a year earlier (fine by me!), and the driver replaces it with a new car. Edit: OR when the driver pays VAT on parts/servicing needed to pass the nct (definately fine by me :D)

In 2006, the company that runs the nct made a €6 million profit on €33 million turnover. That means that the NCT costs about as much as it costs. Halving the price of tests would force the scheme to run at a loss, so the taxpayer would have to pitch in to fund it. Asking drivers of new cars (or non drivers) to help fund the testing of your car hardly seems fair.

More importantly, the government doesn't make any money from the NCT. The only way it profits from this is move is when the NCT takes an economically irreparable car off the road a year earlier (fine by me!), and the driver replaces it with a new car. Edit: OR when the driver pays VAT on parts/servicing needed to pass the nct (definately fine by me :D)

I think thats answered it, the aim behind the move is too increase the profit margin made by the NCT and to encourage people to scrap 10year old cars by making them more hassle than they're worth.
    This will also have the benenfit to the auto retailers of creating a floor price in the second hand market as it will create an artificial high for 8 year old cars and younger.
    All comes back to the unfair tax in an open economy that is VRT, where like the housing bubble the government profits from distorting the market.
    FF bowing to the wishes of the auto retail outlets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Personally I believe that this idea is purely to make money. This is because none of the reasons given by the government that I have read make me think they are doing it for safety, it makes me think they are using these weak set of reasons to cover up the fact they are doing it primarily for money.
    At present two thirds of cars aged 10 years and older presented for a test do not pass first time.

Given that the above quote is true I do, however, agree with testing a car every year after a certain age. The reason for this is because, and this is very very general, the older the car the cheaper it is and the people who buy them dont have the money or dont bother to keep them up to a road worthy standard. I know that I wouldnt be able to afford any big problems that would cause me to fail an NCT. Some people in that situation may still drive the car after the failed NCT.

I have just made an extremely generalised statement but I believe that the amount of people drive around in a 10 year + old car that would fail the NCT knowingly is quite low, but I would like to see those cars and their drivers, however few and the chancers who dont bother sorted out.

My car is from 2000 and personally I wont mind doing the test each year but it would annoy me a bit considering Ill get it serviced every year too.

Quote:
    At present two thirds of cars aged 10 years and older presented for a test do not pass first time

I don't see the real value in that statistic to justify the move, most people bring the car for the NCT and then to the mechanic for the service and to sort out the problems highlighted in the test. ThatS the easiest and the cheapest way, even the garages suggest this is the best way , unless they offer the generally more pricey Pre-NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The Government makes massive money from the NCT tests. You pay Vat on every test. The Govt gets that.

There is no valid reason for cars over ten years that have taken and passed an NCT test, to have to retake it 12 months later. It is not justifiable.

Please someone say why a 10 yr old car needs to be tested every 12 months, but somehow it will magically save lives if a 9 yr old car isnt.

People who agree with testing a 10 year old car (that HAS passed) more often, are not thinking logically, and nor will they until their car is 10 years old.

Additionally scrapping cars creats more pollution than making newer "greener" ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

In 2006, the company that runs the nct made a €6 million profit on €33 million turnover. That means that the NCT costs about as much as it costs.

LOL! 18% margin and you say the NCT costs as much to run! Bloody gold mine!

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The Government makes massive money from the NCT tests. You pay Vat on every test. The Govt gets that.
    Based on beermat maths, the government made 9 million from NCT VAT last year. (804,968 Full tests @ ~€9 vat + 375,834 Retests @ ~€4.50 vat.) A good rummage under the seat cushions in the Dáil would raise more than this proposed change will.
    There is no valid reason for cars over ten years that have taken and passed an NCT test, to have to retake it 12 months later. It is not justifiable.

Please someone say why a 10 yr old car needs to be tested every 12 months, but somehow it will magically save lives if a 9 yr old car isnt.
    If I had my way, cars would be fully tested every year from new, with five minute visual inspections every 3-6 months. This is a step in the right direction, given that there are limits to how fast the contractor can expand capacity without dropping the already dubious levels of quality.
    Additionally scrapping cars creats more pollution than making newer "greener" ones.
    That's fine and dandy, I'm all for keeping cars on the road, provided they are maintained in a roadworthy state. How would you keep cars on the road, allow owners to drive them in any condition until they fall apart, or raise VRT?.
    People who agree with testing a 10 year old car (that HAS passed) more often, are not thinking logically, and nor will they until their car is 10 years old.
    My car is more than ten years old, and I welcome annual testing.

LOL! 18% margin and you say the NCT costs as much to run! Bloody gold mine!
    It's a healthy margain, to be sure. That being said, it was an open tender; If you're prepared to do the job cheaper, please go for it!

My point was, the test could not be offered at half the price without reaching into the taxpayer's pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

My car is now 10 years old, just NCT'd, and from 2012 I will have to get it through the NCT every year. I have no problem with that - as long as it is enforced. What it needs to make this really work and get unsafe cars off the roads is that if the Guards stop anyone with an NCT more than 3 months out of date (and no test booked) the car should be seized on the spot and fed into a crusher. No excuses - end of.

For that matter if 10 year old cars (which need more looking after due to wear and tear) can justifiably be tested annually then test everything more than 4 years old annually. There are plenty of newer cars around with blown bulbs and if the owners can't be bothered to replace a bulb what other defects can't they be bothered to get fixed?

I've no problem testing 10yr+ cars annually, but I'm from over the water. (If fact, just make it 3yr+)

The only thing I have a problem is the inconvenience when cars come in and out of use and their testing cycle is anchored to their registration anniversary. Annual testing should really go hand-in-hand with certificates lasting 12 months from date of issue (or longer if on a continuation basis if done prior to expiry), so if I decide to put back into service a car in 8 months after it's registration anniversary, I don't have to test it again in 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They cant handle the current load are they going to be able to cope next year?

Trying to book my test today, next available slot in Limerick is mid-june on the site, and they are not answering the phone number....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

This is ridiculous! Who asked for this change, what survey/study/opinion/demand is the trigger for this change? Were there any debate or public discussion on this change? There are a bazillion things out there that needs changing and that can be improved up on - but this?!!!

From what I can see, this will directly benefit the car traders and NCT testing agency and NO ONE ELSE! Everyone else is to lose money (NCT fees), time and resale value of cars of any car that's older than 5-7 years.

Unbelievable!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Booked my test there, 28th of June.... I hope Mr Gardai is understanding. It also means I get my test free doesnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

If people with cars over 10 years old are forced to do the NCT every year it should be:
    • Tax Diductable
    • Discounted for the price of the Motor Tax
    • Be able to be done (on licence) at your local garage
    Having the local garage do the NCT means it could be serviced before hand and eliminate need for re-tests.

• Advertisement

Having the local garage do the NCT means they could find 'faults' which need immediate fixing which they'll do for a 'good' price seeing as they already have the car up on the hoist. As evidenced by the MOT system in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think thats answered it, the aim behind the move is too increase the profit margin made by the NCT and to encourage people to scrap 10year old cars by making them more hassle than they're worth.

Your car should be able to pass an nct any random day you pick. If it's costing you loads to fix it up for an NCT then maybe you shouldnt be driving it. Neglecting a car for 2 years then moaning about he cost to get it through an NCT is not the way to run a car.

I don't see the real value in that statistic to justify the move, most people bring the car for the NCT and then to the mechanic for the service and to sort out the problems highlighted in the test. ThatS the easiest and the cheapest way, even the garages suggest this is the best way , unless they offer the generally more pricey Pre-NCT

Easiest and cheapest do not equal best and quite often will lead to more expensive issues . The best way to run your car is to fix things as they arise and to preempt issues by keeping your car well looked after.
    Twin-go wrote: »
    [*]Be able to be done (on licence) at your local garage
    [/LIST]Having the local garage do the NCT means it could be serviced before hand and eliminate need for re-tests.

It also leaves the whole system wide open to corruption. I'm 100% against local garage testing.

Originally Posted by rasper

Stekelly wrote: »
    Your car should be able to pass an nct any random day you pick. If it's costing you loads to fix it up for an NCT then maybe you shouldnt be driving it. Neglecting a car for 2 years then moaning about he cost to get it through an NCT is not the way to run a car.

Originally Posted by rasper

Easiest and cheapest do not equal best and quite often will lead to more expensive issues . The best way to run your car is to fix things as they arise and to preempt issues by keeping your car well looked after.

It also leaves the whole system wide open to corruption. I'm 100% against local garage testing.

When I said "hassle" I meant time and effort to go to the NCT centre , take the time , que, hang around a centre , then possibly back after some minor infraction, nowhere did I mention it was going to costs loads to fix up to pass the test.
    I fully service my car and wife's every 12 months and change oil and filters every 6 months , my cars have no bother in passing just I can do without needless hassle so the government can pander to Bill Cullen and his mates.
    So if the goverment is going to force us to waste our time it could at the very least not charge us for our own time, even if it was half price they'll still make money for the reasons I've mentioned earlier. Its another scam by a corrupt government bowing to its sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So if the goverment is going to force us to waste our time it could at the very least not charge us for our own time, even if it was half price they'll still make money for the reasons I've mentioned earlier. Its another scam by a corrupt government bowing to its sponsors.

I assume the other countries with yearly tests are also corrupt and bowng to companies or motor industry bodies?

If they'd had it like this from the start when the NCT was introduced would there be an issue?

What kills people in Ireland is crap roads and crap drivers , this costs money to fix so go for the easy target and create revenue instead.
    and we don't have any car industry only car retailers , who have milked the system for long enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement