Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT annually for cars 10yrs+

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rasper wrote: »
    What kills people in Ireland is crap roads and crap drivers , this costs money to fix so go for the easy target and create revenue instead.
    and we don't have any car industry only car retailers , who have milked the system for long enough

Is that an answer to me:confused:

We dont have an industry manufacturing cars (do many countries our size?) but we do have a sales, service and parts manufacturing one (i assume the parts makers are still there). Theres more to a motoring industry than the people bildign the cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Crap drivers tend to not look after their cars either. Yesterday I went by a 98 primera with the bumper hanging loose at the back. I remember seeing it about 2 months ago in the same condtition. So if he had to do a yearly NCT then at least it would force him to fix his bumper.

If he left that haning, I don't have high hope he services his car or fixes anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

positron wrote: »
    This is ridiculous! Who asked for this change, what survey/study/opinion/demand is the trigger for this change?
    It's all about the money. Making the pot sweeter for the new 10 yr NCT contract would attract more bids, and, more €€ for the govt. It has nothing to do with cars, safety or anything else.......
    Twin-go wrote: »
    If people with cars over 10 years old are forced to do the NCT every year it should be:
    • Tax Diductable
    • Discounted for the price of the Motor Tax
    • Be able to be done (on licence) at your local garage
    Having the local garage do the NCT means it could be serviced before hand and eliminate need for re-tests.

Well, if cars over 10 yrs old must do it, then, if the test is identical to the sub-10 yr one, it should be 1/2 the price, given it's twice the frequency.

On environmental grounds, if you're maintaining an older car well, then, on the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle basis, (and preventing another car being made/imported), then you should get some benefit in the form of reduced (motor) tax.

Wouldn't agree on the garage thing, though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Stekelly wrote: »
    It also leaves the whole system wide open to corruption. I'm 100% against local garage testing.

How does it leave it open to corruption? It is done currently in the UK.
    By your logic the Driving Test is open to corruption. If there is a proper Licencing of the garages and regular inspections there should be no issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Twin-go wrote: »
    How does it leave it open to corruption? It is done currently in the UK.
    By your logic the Driving Test is open to corruption. If there is a proper Licencing of the garages and regular inspections there should be no issue.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=mot+fraud&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&source=lnt&ei=7n7NS7OfHp-MmwOEzpkz&sa=X&oi=tool&resnum=0&ct=tlink&ved=0CAoQpwU

A system whereby a garage that has responsibility to test your car and then repair it is wide open to abuse!

kbannon wrote: »
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=mot+fraud&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&source=lnt&ei=7n7NS7OfHp-MmwOEzpkz&sa=X&oi=tool&resnum=0&ct=tlink&ved=0CAoQpwU

A system whereby a garage that has responsibility to test your car and then repair it is wide open to abuse!

And your point is?

This guy was prosecuted. If garages are audited and inspected correctly there should be few issues. How is our current system any less open to fraud?

For each one that's caught there are loads that aren't. Several TV programs have been made about it.

For each one that's caught there are loads that aren't. Several TV programs have been made about it.

Still, how is it any more open to fraud than the current NCT system? It all walks of life you will get fraud, people chancing their arm. Look at the banks.
    A properly licienced and regulated local garage NCT system would be no more exposed to fraud than anywhere else.
    A deterant of severe penalties (close offending garages, jail for offending mechanics) would do alot to make the system kosher.

An NCT mechanic doesn't have the same vested interest as a MoT mechanic who can fail you for an item and then fix it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

An NCT mechanic doesn't have the same vested interest as a MoT mechanic who can fail you for an item and then fix it for you.

I think we should just get Advance Pitstop to NCT Cars for us, they could find the dangerous, bad, scary things in the worryingly out of sight parts of your car, quote for them, fix them, bill you and then hand you an NCT Cert - all in one happy morning.......

• Advertisement

True, also there are places in the UK that will MOT cars for £20 without actually looking at them at all.
    Raiser wrote: »
    I think we should just get Advance Pitstop to NCT Cars for us, they could find the dangerous, bad, scary things in the worryingly out of sight parts of your car, quote for them, fix them, bill you and then hand you an NCT Cert - all in one happy morning.......

Presume that's a joke :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

RoverJames wrote: »
    True, also there are places in the UK that will MOT cars for £20 without actually looking at them at all.

That's absolute bull RJ.

It would be at least fifty sheets.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Let's have a bit of balls...everyone with a ten yr old car...just do the test bi yearly as usual and tell em to go ta
    feic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Yawns wrote: »
    Crap drivers tend to not look after their cars either. Yesterday I went by a 98 primera with the bumper hanging loose at the back. I remember seeing it about 2 months ago in the same condtition. So if he had to do a yearly NCT then at least it would force him to fix his bumper.

If he left that haning, I don't have high hope he services his car or fixes anything else.

The gardai should be more strict with this though. If you were driving this car in UK you would be stopped and fined.
    For example, I see trailers with no number plates/lights all the time being towed by cars. That is illegal yet i have never known anyone to be pulled over by the gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The gardai should be more strict with this though. If you were driving this car in UK you would be stopped and fined.
    For example, I see trailers with no number plates/lights all the time being towed by cars. That is illegal yet i have never known anyone to be pulled over by the gardai.

Yeah and what would then happen is you would the same clowns moaning about have the guards nothing better to be doing/ only fining em for revenue inc yadda yadda yadda. Same as what happens when someone mentions a spped check on the naas rd... omg revenue inc omg and yes those same people will moan about nct yearly for their 10 yr+ car. omg revenue inc

Then of course when someone says that we get the whole High Horse comment. All the high horses in Ireland must be dead of exhaustion by now with so many people riding them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Yawns wrote: »
    Yeah and what would then happen is you would the same clowns moaning about have the guards nothing better to be doing/ only fining em for revenue inc yadda yadda yadda. Same as what happens when someone mentions a spped check on the naas rd... omg revenue inc omg and yes those same people will moan about nct yearly for their 10 yr+ car. omg revenue inc

Then of course when someone says that we get the whole High Horse comment. All the high horses in Ireland must be dead of exhaustion by now with so many people riding them...

And that explains why nothing is taken seriously in Ireland, everything is half hearted.

NAMA and the Banks need money

/end thread

Advertisement