Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrowed down to Iphone 3GS or Nexus 1 please help.

Options
  • 14-04-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

Right I'm buying one or the other sim free and unlocked within the next week or two but I'm completely torn between the two.

Iphone has the apps galore and lovely smooth interface

Nexus has the better camera lovely screen more customising options and voice texting and lots more but

what keeps dragging me back is how well rounded and smooth the interface is on the iphone and how everything is made for it.

Please help by posting your own experiences with both phones if you've had the chance to use both or whatever you may know that might help make my mind up.

Thanks for any and all input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

iPhone is for the non tech types, Android is for the slightly more techical.
    Which camp are you in ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

I had an unlocked 3gs until quite recently, and have decided that I'm going to go for the Nexus One.

That's not to say that my experience with the iphone wasn't good. I loved it. Apps are great, it's lovely to use, and everything is simple and just works well.

The reason I'm going to go for a nexus one now though is because of price; unlocked 3gs are very expensive, and I'm not sure what country I'll be in in a few months, so an unlocked phone is a must.
    Also, I used the Nexus One very briefly and found it to be really nice to use as well. Very fast and smooth. I would prefer real buttons at the bottom, but that's not enough to put me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Ry wrote: »
    Right I'm buying one or the other sim free and unlocked within the next week or two but I'm completely torn between the two.

Iphone has the apps galore and lovely smooth interface

Nexus has the better camera lovely screen more customising options and voice texting and lots more but

what keeps dragging me back is how well rounded and smooth the interface is on the iphone and how everything is made for it.

Please help by posting your own experiences with both phones if you've had the chance to use both or whatever you may know that might help make my mind up.

Thanks for any and all input!

Ah I see you've been decieved by apple:D Their stuff isn't that well made it just looks nice, as for the rounded interface I can only assume you haven't tried both because there's nothing between them for me although that's a totally personal thing I suppose.

The apps issue is another non runner really. The Market has all the same ones that iTunes has it just doesn't have 20 of each, I can honestly say that I haven't gone looking for something I had on my iPhone that wasn't on Android.

If you do find yourself wanting for something you can put a request up here and someone will try their best to make it for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Supercell wrote: »
    iPhone is for the non tech types, Android is for the slightly more techical.
    Which camp are you in ?

Would have to agree with that as a former Nokia E71 and HD2 user, presently iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Up until now I've always used Sony Ericsson. I hate Nokia's. I find them insulting :P

I'd definitely be techy but I'm easy and at this stage not bothered because I've come away a lot from the days where I'd tinker with things on my phone. It's now come to a point where I just like it to work smoothly and well and preferably be as good if not better than whatever else is out.

See the techy side of me is pulled by the OLED screen and 5meg rather than 3 on the Nexus AND the larger screen albeit .2 inches :D

But the other side just likes how reliable the iphone's interface is and can see that I don't really need and wouldn't really miss the few things the nexus has over the iphone and would be very happy with what the iphone has in terms of ease of use and updates due for summer in the form of OS4.

BUT

What's pushing me away from the Iphone a little is that I read you can't open them. This is worrying as what if there's a battery problem? Can I just go and buy a new battery? Do I have to send it away for days? That'd piss me off! Just silly things like that irritate me even though I've never even had a problem with any of my phones' batteries but the chance is there so I dunno. It's a niggling thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I'm biased, but there's probably half a dozen things that would push me away from the iphone to start off with, and as a result towards the Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

"What's pushing me away from the Iphone a little is that I read you can't open them."

Ha ha, sounds like you're trying to talk yourself away from the iphone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

What's pushing me away from the Iphone a little is that I read you can't open them. This is worrying as what if there's a battery problem? Can I just go and buy a new battery? Do I have to send it away for days? That'd piss me off! Just silly things like that irritate me even though I've never even had a problem with any of my phones' batteries but the chance is there so I dunno. It's a niggling thought.

You can open them but its not an easy thing to do. I had the original iPhone 2G and now have the HTC Hero (rooted of course - I'm a techy head myself)

If you need the iPhone battery replaced you'll need to send it off or you can always buy one and try replace it yourself doesn't look that easy either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6HWZa0dGM

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

betafrog wrote: »
    As a mobile developer I have used both extensively and no matter how much time I spend with the Android and think how nice it is I always end up back using the iPhone, it's just so much less hassle. It has so many better apps. The Interface, though not as fancy just works, the infrastructure between Apple products just makes life so much easier.

although I dont agree with you as a developer myself, could this be because the iPhone SDK has a few years advantage in terms of maturity??
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Nope, it's a software ethos thing... Google wanna give you as much as possible as quick as possible. Apple won't let you have it until they think it's the best it can be.. One leads to sloppy but deep functionality, the other leads to limited but highly polished functionality.

And no matter what, until Google's App store goes global, it will never get as many or as good a quality apps as the iPhone

broad statements are never too smart.
    the market place IS globally available. the paid apps one isnt. the thing is easisy circumventable, rooted or not.
    there about 30000 apps on the marketplace at the moment. I can find as many quality apps as I need. again, you dont need 547 iFart apps.
    .. plus I dont get along well with restrictions and constrictions artificially implanted "for my own good".
    as for the "polish" of the iphone apps.. i can (sometimes) give you that, but thats explained in my previous post.
    android wasnt even registered in the global scene until spring 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nexuslad

i have had the iphone myself and went for the nexus one,

i would prob prefer my the iphone over it but i think it comes down to the user and which the prefer the best.

the iphone is by far the most user friendly phone and has the best interface which is why it is such a good phone but its all down to how the user feels using each phone

...no matter how much time I spend with the Android and think how nice it is I always end up back using the iPhone, it's just so much less hassle.... The Interface, though not as fancy just works....

You kind of hit the exact thing I had in my head but wasn't sure of. I'm techy so I usually will go with what's technically better by specification after reasearching whatever it may be but I realise in this case, if the phone does everything I need perfectly (which Apple makes sure it does), then I don't need to know the spec is higher than other phones and don't need apps that I'm not likely to use anyway.
    For the first time I think Apple are the only people I can do that with confidently so I think I'm gonna go with the "iFart" as someone put it because I'm content with it doing everything well and not needing it to cook me breakfast to boot.

Thanks to all of you who posted responses as I read all of them and appreciated the information greatly and thanks especially to yourself betafrog for confirming a weird feeling I had in the back of my mind but hadn't quite put my finger on properly.

Now to find a factory unlocked 16gig in black preferably :) Anyone know a good place selling them factory unlocked? I priced one the other day with FM Mobiles in town and they told me €750. €750 seems a bit mental for a 16gig so I'll definitely be shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to throw a spanner in your works, there is most likely going to be a new version of the iPhone released this Summer, so you may want to consider holding off.

Older models will possibly drop in price somewhat when the new one comes out.

And finally, a new version of the OS has been made available for preview, only the 3GS will be able to use the full features of this new OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The HTC Desire is available now and is basically the same specs, by the same manufacturer as the Nexus One.

The big advantage of the HTC Legend is their Sense UI, which adds a whole layer of slickness to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nope, it's a software ethos thing... Google wanna give you as much as possible as quick as possible. Apple won't let you have it until they think it's the best it can be.. One leads to sloppy but deep functionality, the other leads to limited but highly polished functionality.

And no matter what, until Google's App store goes global, it will never get as many or as good a quality apps as the iPhone

lol
    Apple won't let you have it cos they won't be able to update to a new version every 9 months

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just to throw a spanner in your works, there is most likely going to be a new version of the iPhone released this Summer, so you may want to consider holding off.

Older models will possibly drop in price somewhat when the new one comes out.

And finally, a new version of the OS has been made available for preview, only the 3GS will be able to use the full features of this new OS.

Do you think there will be a brand new model? I thought the new OS was the big surprise for summer rather than a whole new unit and will it be available this summer or only announced in Summer available in September, October :P I'd be willing to wait till June/July if there will be a new handset but any further would be pushing it cuz I've already sat and waited for the X10 from Sony only to be disappointed so I dunno if I wanna wait any longer lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you think there will be a brand new model? I thought the new OS was the big surprise for summer rather than a whole new unit and will it be available this summer or only announced in Summer available in September, October :P I'd be willing to wait till June/July if there will be a new handset but any further would be pushing it cuz I've already sat and waited for the X10 from Sony only to be disappointed so I dunno if I wanna wait any longer lol.

The general feeling is that yes, there will be a new model. However, nothing is guaranteed with Apple, so nobody knows for certain.

Remember, OS 3.0 was released last year around this time, and there was a new model (the 3GS) in the Summer.

Although, as they say in advertisements for pensions/investments - past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. :)

Advertisement