Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tax back - how and when?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have been working in Australia since November and will have quite a lot of tax to claim back. Just wondering - when do I do the claim? I will be travelling in Oz until September, but I'll finish work at the end of May. Can I claim it back while still here? Also, if I do the tax return myself, how do I get my hands on the forms? Can I do it online? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mismatch wrote: »
    I have been working in Australia since November and will have quite a lot of tax to claim back. Just wondering - when do I do the claim? I will be travelling in Oz until September, but I'll finish work at the end of May. Can I claim it back while still here? Also, if I do the tax return myself, how do I get my hands on the forms? Can I do it online? Thanks for any help!

The Tax year ends 30th June, all your employers must issue you with a group cert at this time. If they don't chase them up for it.

you can do eTax online when the time comes just download from http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pathway.asp?pc=001/002/014

Run the program and enter all your details, on a WHV you are classed as a resident for tax purposes. Its easy enough and they pay straight into your bank account within 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The Tax year ends 30th June, all your employers must issue you with a group cert.

you can do eTax online when the time comes just download from http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pathway.asp?pc=001/002/014

Run the program and enter all your details, on a WHV you are classed as a resident for tax purposes. Its easy enough and they pay straight into your bank account.
    Does this apply to Super as well? One of my employers hasnt sent me anything on it, I suspect a super was never set up or paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

As mandrake04 said, it's just that easy.

Make sure you have a current Aussie bank account.

The eTax form takes about 7 days(on average) to get your return.

Make sure you keep track of superannuation payments made by your employer for your retirement. ;)

CiaranC wrote: »
    Does this apply to Super as well? One of my employers hasnt sent me anything on it, I suspect a super was never set up or paid

Super is different, this is a rebate of tax you paid as a PAYE employee.

I think you can only claim your super back once you have left Australia for good, not sure ... as I am still here.

Check your pay slip it should say how much Super you were paid and into what fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

as far as i know you can only claim your super back once you have left oz. take a look at this http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=58307

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

Cheers Mandrake! I'd love to claim the tax back while still travelling in Oz - do you know if this is possible?

Super is different, this is a rebate of tax you paid as a PAYE employee.

I think you can only claim your super back once you have left Australia for good, not sure ... as I am still here.

Check your pay slip it should say how much Super you were paid and into what fund.
    None of my payslips from any of my employers mention the fund name or provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

You should have received a letter or two from the fund providers. I did anyway. Get any unfamilar banky style letters? If not, I'm sure your employer would be able to let you know the fund name/provider if you get in touch with them.

Mismatch wrote: »
    Cheers Mandrake! I'd love to claim the tax back while still travelling in Oz - do you know if this is possible?

Absolutely as long as you have all your group certs you can do it online and the money will be in your bank within a week. I did mine mid July last year and got near $5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Should there be a sticky on this? It seems to come up weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Here you go to claim super use this:
    https://applicant.tr.super.ato.gov.au/applicants/default.aspx?pid=1

use this form when leaving Oz to apply for super

If you believe you have any lost super - you can look here

It is the law that if you earn over $450 per week that you will be paid 9% into your superannuation.

CiaranC - it can take up to 3 months to pay super, but if your employer didn't do it it can be a massive headache to them if you report them.

I would phone the employer and if you don't get anywhere you should phone fairtrading

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To people who have gone though tax back before, something to ponder.

Most of the people who are here a few years do it themselves. Those who can't be bother or don't know any better go through an agent(people have actually tried to tell me that you have to go through an agent, obviously you don't).

But, I was thinking, the cost of an agent isn't that bad, maybe $150 or so. Could there be a case for the agent getting you more tax back then you would by doing it solo. Ticking extra boxes, claiming back for all sorts of stuff you might miss etc.

You can claim the cost of the agent on your next return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Mellor wrote: »
    To people who have gone though tax back before, something to ponder.

Most of the people who are here a few years do it themselves. Those who can't be bother or don't know any better go through an agent(people have actually tried to tell me that you have to go through an agent, obviously you don't).

But, I was thinking, the cost of an agent isn't that bad, maybe $150 or so. Could there be a case for the agent getting you more tax back then you would by doing it solo. Ticking extra boxes, claiming back for all sorts of stuff you might miss etc.

Definitely. Paper forms are like gold dust to come across and etax is a wall of confusion. Worth the small money to get it done right.

To claim back last years tax agent fee do I need the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Definitely. Paper forms are like gold dust to come across and etax is a wall of confusion. Worth the small money to get it done right.

To claim back last years tax agent fee do I need the receipt?

Generally no, unless you are being audited.

Good tip for stuff you can claim for

Work clothes
    Sunglasses (1 Pair year if work outside or drive from job to job)
    Sunscreen (if you work outdoors)
    Hard Hat
    work boots
    Health insurance
    Travel Expenses/Petrol/??Car??, (Commute to and from work/Home cant count)
    Green/white card course
    tools

If you are on an Irish passport you can claim Medicare exception (If you were born in NI or UK you are not exempt)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would I need receipts for all this.
    I have most, except insurance, but only receipts for my white card.
    I also don't have every train ticket, but I'll plan on putting down 39-41 a week for it

I also don't have every train ticket, but I'll plan on putting down 39-41 a week for it
    I think hes saying your commute isnt tax refundable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Filled out mine today and its in the post getting an early assessment as im leaving the country you get a tax pack in the tax office and it really is a piece of piss to fill out! How much do you usually get back? Any1 any idea what percentage? Have all my work gear etc. On it as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Good tip for stuff you can claim for

Work clothes
    Hard Hat
    work boots
    Green/white card course
    tools

I put down for these last year (failing to mention of course that rather than the high end gear at high prices i claimed it was all Paddys Market stuff :) ) and AFAIK never received refund. do you have to have a certain level of taxable income to get refunded? (last year I only paid 2000 odd in tax and got it all refunded, but not my expenses.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I put down for these last year (failing to mention of course that rather than the high end gear at high prices i claimed it was all Paddys Market stuff :) ) and AFAIK never received refund. do you have to have a certain level of taxable income to get refunded? (last year I only paid 2000 odd in tax and got it all refunded, but not my expenses.)

If you got all your tax refunded then there would have been nothing left for you to get refunded back for your expenses. If you had paid more taxes you would have gotten it back. You are claming back your expenses against the tax you have paid.

You can't get refunded more than you pay in tax.:D It's a tax return.

I think you can claim something like a total up to $400 a year of reasonable incidental work expenses with out receipts stuff like sock savers, sunscreen etc, more expensive stuff like Sunnies, work boots & GPS you would need receipts (tax agent might ask to sight these to keep themselves right).

Really its common sense as to what you can claim for, people often try to be over creative when claiming back tax... if you rip the bag out of it you are just asking to have your return stopped and audited.

Advertisement