Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike making squeeling sounds

• 14-04-2010 6:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, another problem with the bike, i've stopped riding it now cause i fear i'm doing damage, the bike is making god awful squeeling sounds at speeds upwards of 50/60kph, the speed at which is starts making the noise is random as far as i can tell, it sounds as though it's either coming from the front wheel or the engine. The chain is nearing the end of it's life, it's well oiled so i doubt it's that.
    I recently got a new set of tyres on the bike, just before the sound started.
    At first i thought it was the back tyre rubbing off the rear hugger, but after removing it the sound was still there.
    I gave the bike a wash aswell before the sound started, so maybe some oil was washed away from a moving part? (washed it with a sponge and soapy water and rinsed with a watering can)

I checked the brakes, and they seems to be acting normal, so i don't think it's them.
    Also a mechanic had a look at the bike recently, said there was too much oil in the bike, would that cause squeeling? (have to ask)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Did you fit the wheels yourself after the new tyres were fitted..wondering if a spacer was left on the ground maybe...If this squealing has only started since, chances are its a tyre/wheel issue..how are your pads btw..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Wheel bearing on the way out maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Xios wrote: »
    Also a mechanic had a look at the bike recently,

Did the mechanic look at it in an effort to find the source of the noise? If yes, then get a new mechanic - too much oil can damage an engine but you would have other (clearer) symptoms like masses of white smoke out of the exhaust, difficulty starting the bike or stalling when warm.

The noise is very likely an indication that something is about to fail and this could have dangerous consequences. Without knowing the bike and its condition it is impossible to diagnose the fault for you - it could be a speedo gear drive, wheel bearing, brake pad, camshaft bearing or a tyre rubbing on something. It might only happen at speed but it could deteriorate quickly so get it checked soon. It might be something very trivial and simple - you just won't know until its sorted.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys, another problem with the bike, i've stopped riding it now cause i fear i'm doing damage, the bike is making god awful squeeling sounds at speeds upwards of 50/60kph, the speed at which is starts making the noise is random as far as i can tell, it sounds as though it's either coming from the front wheel or the engine. The chain is nearing the end of it's life, it's well oiled so i doubt it's that.
    I recently got a new set of tyres on the bike, just before the sound started.
    At first i thought it was the back tyre rubbing off the rear hugger, but after removing it the sound was still there.
    I gave the bike a wash aswell before the sound started, so maybe some oil was washed away from a moving part? (washed it with a sponge and soapy water and rinsed with a watering can)

I checked the brakes, and they seems to be acting normal, so i don't think it's them.
    Also a mechanic had a look at the bike recently, said there was too much oil in the bike, would that cause squeeling? (have to ask)

Chain may have tight links in it, so it would be difficult to have the correct chain play tension on it. Get it checked/replaced before the chain breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Chain may have tight links in it, so it would be difficult to have the correct chain play tension on it. Get it checked/replaced before the chain breaks.

Yep, it has tight and loose links, gettin the chain replaced tomorrow, gonna have the mechanic ride the bike to hear the noise for himself, hopefully it's something simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Ok, new chain, new sprockets. Still the same noise, the mechanic says he can't hear anything, just a few squeeks and whistles from the fairing, but he admits he's a little deaf.

Wheel Bearings are fine,
    Brakes are fine,
    Chain/sprocket fine

the noise is cyclictic, in the same motion as either the engine or wheel, it persists when i pull in the clutch, but only briefly. I'm gonna get a second opinion from another mechanic, but i'd like all your 2 cents aswell :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Leaky airbox?

Advertisement